The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt 3 (NO LINKS!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the hell originally came up with Frat Pack to describe those dudes? That shit is lame.

It's a play off of Dean Martin/Sinatra/Co.'s Rat Pack from the old days. The first movie that all of these actors were in together was Old School which, if you haven't seen it, is about a fraternity

Who the hell originally came up with Frat Pack to describe those dudes? That shit is lame.

I don't know, but it had to do with them being in Old School... and it rhymes with Rat and Brat, so why not?

Does Jack Black belong in the group, too? I would say so.

I tend to group the Frat Pack/Apatow movies together, but here's how I'd rank them based on what I have seen:

Anchorman
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Zoolander
Tropic Thunder
Knocked Up
Talladega Nights
Walk Hard
Step Brothers
Superbad
Wedding Crashers
Old School
Starsky and Hutch

I've only seen four of those in full.

I tend to group the Frat Pack/Apatow movies together, but here's how I'd rank them based on what I have seen:

Anchorman
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Zoolander
Tropic Thunder
Knocked Up
Talladega Nights
Walk Hard
Step Brothers
Superbad
Wedding Crashers
Old School
Starsky and Hutch

Of those, I still need to see:

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (which I intend to watch)
Tropic Thunder (which I intend to watch)
Talladega Nights (which I intend to watch)
Wedding Crashers (which I don't intend to watch)
Old School (borderline)
Starsky and Hutch (which I don't intend to watch)

Old School was oddly unsatisfying. It was too short, and we barely saw anything actually relating to the fraternity, yet the whole Luke Wilson story felt dragged out.

It's a play off of Dean Martin/Sinatra/Co.'s Rat Pack from the old days. The first movie that all of these actors were in together was Old School which, if you haven't seen it, is about a fraternity

No, I understand why they're called it, I just think it's dumb.

And, yeah, I actually think Old School is the best comedy of the decade.

Old School started this whole resurgance of Rated R comedies being brought to the forefront again. And I don't think it's been topped since...except possibly by Wedding Crashers.

I actually don't know why Luke Wilson is in there. He's never really in comedic roles, even in comedies.

Although, that made his role in Anchorman funnier. "You're about to be in ... dead place!"

Old School was oddly unsatisfying. It was too short, and we barely saw anything actually relating to the fraternity, yet the whole Luke Wilson story felt dragged out.

Yet that's the first "classic." It has its moments, but I'm not a huge fan.

Definitely check those out when you get the chance, El-Mel.

Wedding Crashers is unbelievably funny until the last half hour... then it starts to fall apart until Ferrell's amazing cameo.

Anchorman
Heavyweights, I count it cause Stiller's in it :wink:
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Tropic Thunder
Knocked Up
Talladega Nights
Old School
Zoolander
Wedding Crashers
Kicking and Screaming? < IF you count it goes here.
Step Brothers
Pineapple Express
Starsky and Hutch

Will Ferrell's cameo in Wedding Crashers is up there with greatest cameos of all-time. Unfuckingreal. He saved that movie.

You guys need to see Heavyweights if you haven't already. It's an early Apatow production with most of the kids from The Mighty Ducks playing campers at the fat camp who strike back against the new health-nut, psychopathic owner played by Ben Stiller. He essentially plays an exaggerated version of this character again in Dodgeball, too.

Fuck, I forgot to mention Dodgeball.

Kicking & Screaming is too close of a call, who else besides Ferrell is in that?

Definitely check those out when you get the chance, El-Mel.

Wedding Crashers is unbelievably funny until the last half hour... then it starts to fall apart until Ferrell's amazing cameo.

Hmm. I guess I'm just not a Vince Vaughn fan. Didn't really care for Dodgeball, and I'm not sure if I'd watch a film for Owen Wilson alone.

Was Balls of Fury any good? It looked hilarious, but the reviews were terrible.

Will Ferrell's cameo in Wedding Crashers is up there with greatest cameos of all-time. Unfuckingreal. He saved that movie.

Agreed. It got kinda depressing there for a while. But the whole "Rape" thing with Vaughn :lmao:...I need to watch Wedding Crasheres again. I think very soon after I get to school I'm having a frat pack marathon. if not then, then as soon as Pineapple Express and Step Brothers come out on dvd

Wedding Crashers, man. Holy shit. Have you guys only seen it once?

I swear you need to watch it again. You guys are underrating Wedding Crashers in a big way, IMO.

You guys need to see Heavyweights if you haven't already. It's an early Apatow production with most of the kids from The Mighty Ducks playing campers at the fat camp who strike back against the new health-nut, psychopathic owner played by Ben Stiller. He essentially plays an exaggerated version of this character again in Dodgeball, too.

YES. I loved Heavyweights. Damn, did Apatow really work on that? No wonder it was so awesome.

Lars is hysterically funny.

Hmm. I guess I'm just not a Vince Vaughn fan. Didn't really care for Dodgeball, and I'm not sure if I'd watch a film for Owen Wilson alone.

Was Balls of Fury any good? It looked hilarious, but the reviews were terrible.

I'm a fan of both, and they have great chemistry, so it works until their characters are separated after the second act... then it blows.

Balls of Fury was terrible, but there were a few chuckles to be had from it. I'm entertained by Christopher Walken reading from the phone book, let alone playing an Asian warlord and ping pong enthusiast.

Kicking and Screaming is great.

Get me a juicebox!

I swear you need to watch it again. You guys are underrating Wedding Crashers in a big way, IMO.

I've seen if four times. It's good, not great, for the reasons noted. The whole section from when they leave the vacation house to Will Ferrell showing up is really not good at all.

Fuck, I forgot to mention Dodgeball.

Kicking & Screaming is too close of a call, who else besides Ferrell is in that?

And by extension, you made me forget Dodgeball too :doh: That's gotta be either right before Tropic Thunder or right AFTER Tropic Thunder. Not sure. Stiller's Michael-Keaton-as-Beatlejuice voice during that whole movie was priceless. I haven't seen that one in a while either.

Lunch has been canceled. Due to lack of hustle.

I did say it was unbelievably funny in the first hour... probably one of my favorite comedies of the decade up until that point. It takes a turn after they leave the summerhouse though.

YES. I loved Heavyweights. Damn, did Apatow really work on that? No wonder it was so awesome.

Larz is hysterically funny.

Yep, fucking love that movie.

That movie also proves that Jerry Stiller is funny in absolutely anything.

And by extension, you made me forget Dodgeball too :doh: That's gotta be either right before Tropic Thunder or right AFTER Tropic Thunder. Not sure. Stiller's Michael-Keaton-as-Beatlejuice voice during that whole movie was priceless. I haven't seen that one in a while either.

Ball me, Blazer.

Lance loves Spielberg, although it's great that you refer to them as one entity.

My 10:

Spielberg
Scorsese
Woody
Kubrick
PT Anderson
Wes Anderson
Hitchcock
Tarantino
Coens
Fincher or Nolan... can't decide.

I could see Robert Altman sneaking in there after I see more of his films. The Player and Short Cuts were so fucking good.

No Fancis Ford Coppolla?

I've seen if four times. It's good, not great, for the reasons noted. The whole section from when they leave the vacation house to Will Ferrell showing up is really not good at all.

I hear ya, but what is that like only 20 minutes?

The rest of it more than makes up for the brief shift in moods.

Also, Dodgeball is great. Stiller's character is a riot.

Lunch has been canceled. Due to lack of hustle.

Wow, did not even think of making that Keaton connection there, but kudos to you if you could, ha.

I'd put it around the same level as Old School, actually. It's pretty funny and re-watchable, but not as good as the rest.

Stiller appeared in a Sandler style comedy when he played the retirement home director in Happy Gilmore. With a strikingly similar mustache to Dodgeball, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom