The Blackout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I imagine it was awful on JT for anyone other than those in GA or douche seats.

What's stupider is, like, what were they going for? Even if you aren't a loony like us, you knew the backdrop had a video element because they showed the opening act in the upper corner.

They actually would have gotten more of an "oh shit, the whole thing is a screen" moment if they had kept the band on the upper right like the opener, that way a lot of people would have thought that was the only part that was a screen.

And then boom, red shit son.

Come at me, Willie Williams.

Disclosure: I'm a Millenial so I've never known a rock concert without huge fucking screens.

That said, some of the boomers next to me at the DC Joshua Tree show actually loved the fact that there was no video for the first four songs because it reminded them of the concerts they attended when they were younger - which I believe is the desired effect Bono said the band was going for.

Doesn't anyone else get Zoo Station's intro from The Blackout's intro? The first thing that I thought when I heard it, and I wasn't even analysing anything.

Yep, right from the outset mate (sixth paragraph): U2 perform new song in Amsterdam for video shoot - U2gigs.com

I imagine it was awful on JT for anyone other than those in GA or douche seats.

What's stupider is, like, what were they going for? Even if you aren't a loony like us, you knew the backdrop had a video element because they showed the opening act in the upper corner.

They actually would have gotten more of an "oh shit, the whole thing is a screen" moment if they had kept the band on the upper right like the opener, that way a lot of people would have thought that was the only part that was a screen.

And then boom, red shit son.

Come at me, Willie Williams.

I agree. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but in a stadium setting? Bad idea. Nobody feels nostalgia for going to a stadium show and not being able to see anything because there aren't any screens.

Totally agreed.

The night I was over hard on Adam's side on the main stage, I couldn't see shit for the first four songs but didn't want to lose a good spot on the rail. I saw nothing more than the occasional head of a band member between the throng of the crowd.

Disclosure: I'm a Millenial so I've never known a rock concert without huge fucking screens.

That said, some of the boomers next to me at the DC Joshua Tree show actually loved the fact that there was no video for the first four songs because it reminded them of the concerts they attended when they were younger - which I believe is the desired effect Bono said the band was going for.

Fucking boomers.

now, my thoughts on this one have changed since hearing it back in August when it felt purely political to me - maybe because of the brush with mortality thing, i dunno, but now it has a very unsettling and uncomfortable vibe, especially with the little sound effects towards the end - solid solid song though

so definitely not my go-to comfort blankie song as it makes me feel really uneasy :lol:

:applaud:

Cool video too

as always the live version blows away the studio verson. the final 25% of the song where it goes into what sounds like a distorted horn is unnecessary and pulls the track away from the grooviness it was always meant to be. Still wish the live version would be on the record then the watered down studio version. Reminds me of elevation album version vs elevation tomb raider version...galaxies apart...

as always the live version blows away the studio verson. the final 25% of the song where it goes into what sounds like a distorted horn is unnecessary and pulls the track away from the grooviness it was always meant to be. Still wish the live version would be on the record then the watered down studio version. Reminds me of elevation album version vs elevation tomb raider version...galaxies apart...

What? No. That last 25% where the horn effect comes in is the best part.

Objective fact.

Also I'm weirdly coming around to the album version being the best right now. I didn't at first, but I think the bass is better than the guitar and should be front and center.

This will be the opening song to the new tour. They opened with a giant lightbulb last time... started in the light... so I assume they'll start with the light on, maybe flickering, it will go pitch black and in darkness you heard this song start to play.... Light of Innocence vs Dark of Experience.... that's how I see this song... it will bring the house down live...

THE miracle
THE blackout

works

That would be perfect and I’ve got a feeling it will be one of those moments that you’re always going to remember/recreate years from now. I can still remember the feeling and exhilaration when the lights went out early during the Elevation tour.

Not using the screens for a few songs is far less an issue in an arena. Worked fine in 2015.

now, my thoughts on this one have changed since hearing it back in August when it felt purely political to me - maybe because of the brush with mortality thing, i dunno, but now it has a very unsettling and uncomfortable vibe, especially with the little sound effects towards the end - solid solid song though

so definitely not my go-to comfort blankie song as it makes me feel really uneasy :lol:

I get the same feeling about the song - I think Bono’s deep-seated existential doubt and fear comes through pretty clearly (what comes after “the lights go out”, if anything?). It’s actually what puts the song over the top for me.

Also, many people have said the drums seemed tuned down on the album version. This is definitely true when I listen to the song in my car, but not the case when I listen on my headphones, where the drums come through very well.

Cracking tune but I do find myself craving a bit more of a live feel to the drums.

Love the new mix - went from being "meh" on the song to enjoying it quite a bit.

My only question is: where the hell is the snare? Is there a snare in the chorus? It sounds extraordinarily muddy.

agreed. At the 3 minute mark is where this song really starts to get interesting.
And I don't think it's horns. I believe those are deep, somewhat distorted strings. (probably cello). A twitter poster had reported that he did some string recordings for the Blackout.

agreed. At the 3 minute mark is where this song really starts to get interesting.

And I don't think it's horns. I believe those are deep, somewhat distorted strings. (probably cello). A twitter poster had reported that he did some string recordings for the Blackout.

I think that’s correct. Distorted strings. How they attempt to replicate it live will be interesting. Hopefully we’ll find out on SNL.

This song is by far the best of the new songs we've heard so far. Should have been the lead single, and definitely ahead of GOOYOW.

I'm loving the studio version of this song. There is some cool stuff going on with it. I just wish that the "so glad you're all still here" with the awesome drums/bass/guitar of the live version would have made it to the studio version. They kind of neutered aka cut the balls off of that part of the song in the studio version. Still an awesome track and it's going to be great live.

cool. Official U2 must have added to the VEVO channel. Nice to hear it again like this, crowd noise is annoying, but the drums in every part except the "easy on me" parts are mixed so much better here.

cool. Official U2 must have added to the VEVO channel. Nice to hear it again like this, crowd noise is annoying, but the drums in every part except the "easy on me" parts are mixed so much better here.

Yup. This beats the album version hands down despite the annoying clapping of the crowd. Best mix would be the live version minus the crowd noise.

Back
Top Bottom