Sphere Show #1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe, maybe not.

I'd say I'm a pretty hard core fan but neither of those songs are anywhere near my favorites.

Like everything else, it purely depends on who you ask (although the latter seems to be highly regarded in any event). Still prominent rarities there in any event.

Man what a great Streets :cute::hyper: and the space element totally goes with it, good blend of all streets and.. no flags lol

Did I miss the Zooropa-themed encore?

23. Daddy's Gonna Pay (with videos of influencers, which the song was 30+ years ahead of mocking)
24. Numb (Sphere screen overload)
25. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) [preceeded by speech about creation of album; full band]
26. Lemon ("midnight is where the day..." leads into intro of)
27. Zooropa

now that's how to send people home. but of course, we aren't the creative directors unfortunately

Am I shit if I think Atomic City may have been the standout from the back quarter of the show?

it was better than Streets even! was the only song that seemed to have any freshness/energy. it rocked and had great visuals, really enjoyed it

Hey at least in 2023 we got Achtung Baby played live in its entirety. Just a reminder of how much of a banger that album is.

They can't play POP too much as they are saving it for 2024 when they open up a new IKEA in Maine and do U2 POP TV IKEA

The Achtung Baby/turntable set is fantastic, but the encore should definitely be worked on.
Either way, I can't wait until December. That first set alone is going to be one hell of a journey.

Hey at least in 2023 we got Achtung Baby played live in its entirety. Just a reminder of how much of a banger that album is.

Yep. Although apparently some rarities on it don’t matter. :lol:

/s

All good. It’s going to be worth the trip just for those 12 songs alone.

if the encore stays as is, I think leaving after Love is Blindness is the ticket. but they have to change it at least a little, right??

They played Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, Atomic Day, 2 biggest hits overall in Streets and With or Without You and some of you think this is a bad encore for a U2 show in Vegas in 2023???

I get it, I do... but they are playing AB for the super fans, so you have to balance that with more hits as only 3 or so songs on AB will normal people know...

Opening night. As usual, there are some kinks that need to be worked out(they never start at 100%) and I trust they will. Otherwise, pretty awesome show. Was it the ideal setlist? No, but you can’t make everyone happy when you have a body of work like that and only two dozen songs to play. I have faith the show will only get better.

You're not wrong.

I heard Bram didn't want to do Pride -- and I assume Sunday Bloody Sunday in that mix of songs that Larry plays in his own way that other drummers would be like WTF is this???

So Pride into Streets is the goal right?

Opening night. As usual, there are some kinks that need to be worked out(they never start at 100%) and I trust they will. Otherwise, pretty awesome show. Was it the ideal setlist? No, but you can’t make everyone happy when you have a body of work like that and only two dozen songs to play. I have faith the show will only get better.

Exactly. I'll be curious to see how the final show will compare to this one too. And even if it's not a whole lot different, hopefully any technical issues will be minimal in the long run.

I heard Bram didn't want to do Pride -- and I assume Sunday Bloody Sunday in that mix of songs that Larry plays in his own way that other drummers would be like WTF is this???

Underrated aspect of this. The guys are playing over someone that's a completely different person. Different quirks, different timing, that sort of thing. Anything like that will be an adjustment and may affect certain songs. Same reason why Bono might not want to play some songs, because it's too high of a key these days or wouldn't even sound good in a lower one.

Last edited:
Like everything else, it purely depends on who you ask (although the latter seems to be highly regarded in any event). Still prominent rarities there in any event.

Oh definitely rarities. Cool for those fans who've really wanted to hear those.
I totally appreciate that!

I went into the ecstatic, stratospheric atmosphere when they played Zooropa in '11! That's one of my ultra favorires!
And while not the mood of stratospheric joy (bc the song is a whole different mood) but incredible in it's own way - I was so excited to hear Acrobat live in '18 or was it '19 (Covid time slippage, gah!).

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the songs in the encore. Lots wrong with the sequence.

I’d prefer no Elevation, but I get why they play it.

Atomic City
Vertigo
Elevation
With or Without You
<speech>
Beautiful Day
Streets
Bad

I have no problem saying Elevation and Vertigo can go. both have had more than enough time in the spotlight, and they're basically the same song anyway.

Streets into WOWY would be cool but if you flipped the order it'd probably be even cooler. and you need a better lead in than Vertigo either way. like Bullet/RTSS

23. Daddy's Gonna Pay (with videos of influencers, which the song was 30+ years ahead of mocking)
24. Numb (Sphere screen overload)
25. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) [preceeded by speech about creation of album; full band]
26. Lemon ("midnight is where the day..." leads into intro of)
27. Zooropa

now that's how to send people home. but of course, we aren't the creative directors unfortunately

I think there’s a middle ground.

Daddy’s Gonna Pay
Lemon
Zooropa
Beautiful Day/Vertigo/Elevation
Running/Bad
Streets
WOWY

For me, Atomic City can be the taped go-home track.

They played Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, Atomic Day, 2 biggest hits overall in Streets and With or Without You and some of you think this is a bad encore for a U2 show in Vegas in 2023???

I get it, I do... but they are playing AB for the super fans, so you have to balance that with more hits as only 3 or so songs on AB will normal people know...

Don't go making any sense here! Unreal....

They play all of AB in a brand new, never been tried before, high stakes show and people still complain! Everything about this is new....... not to mention Larry's hiatus! Thematically and logically, the R&H mini set far and away made the most sense. Make the safest play on opening night. It will change over time.

Did anyone seriously think we weren't going to get that encore?????!!!! I mean, they flat out said Atomic City would be in there. Adam and Bram mentioned BD and Streets. WOWY was on CBS, but we damn well could've predicted it would be there before that.

I'd be fine with Elevation getting a rest, too, but again. I knew 2 of the 3 (BD, Vertigo, Elevation) were a lock.

This encore won't change to a blender of Zooropa, Pop and Passengers, obviously, but it will change! Songs, sequencing, etc. Look at I&E and JT 30 for recent examples!

They didn't flip them drastically, but just take I&E. What you heard in Vancouver was very different 20 shows into the tour!

I'm kinda underwhelmed by the videos, get that theyre only videos and I'm not actually there but the stadium and arena shows seem much more "dynamic". The display is obviously stunning but they're just standing in the middle of a small stage, looks like it lacks the interaction of the stadium and arena shows.

Again a bad encore, just like JT2017/2019.
Also...play.the album in sequence.
Photos look cool...

Back
Top Bottom