Songs of Ascent - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm sure Snowlock will say that Vancouver does not exist and there is no such thing as Canada.

Most definately, and then when you didn't believe me, I'd say this:

i guess i was kind of hoping my credibility would back up my statement on this one, as i've never been one to just make things up.

I wonder though, from this poster, how booking a studio from mid oct to mid nov equals indefinately?

But at least we have some hard evidence finally! Reading a post from a guy who read a post from a guy who knows a guy sounds pretty solid!

/hands you a straw

I would imagine with a band of U2's stature it's more like, we'll take it in mid-October and stay until mid-November. Or as long as we want. Thanks.
:up:

Most definately, and then when you didn't believe me, I'd say this:

I wonder though, from this poster, how booking a studio from mid oct to mid nov equals indefinately?

But at least we have some hard evidence finally! Reading a post from a guy who read a post from a guy who knows a guy sounds pretty solid!

/hands you a straw

:doh: i said take it with a grain of salt before i posted the quote.

There was a rumour earlier this year they'd be recording in Vancouver. Maybe a quick re-cap of the material before they go to Dublin.

There was a rumour earlier this year they'd be recording in Vancouver. Maybe a quick re-cap of the material before they go to Dublin.

yep. i wonder if Brian Eno will be there since he's already gone back in to listen to the tracks.

Hello!
As everyone around here, I´m hoping U2 releases Songs Of Ascent around March/May of 2010...but, in all honesty, I´m building my expectations towards a October/November of 2010 release...I just feel it´s more logical, u know...
Having said that, I think it´s great fun to participate in this forum and increase our level of anxiety for a March/May realease, because nothing is impossible, and this band certainly has proved it more than enough times...
So I´d like to add my 2 cents and say that, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, no matter how hard Paul McGuiness pushes for an October/November realease, or how hard Bono pushes for a March/May release...
I think the release date will be defined by how the entire band (and I mean Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam, Brian and Danny) feels about the existing material for Songs Of Ascent once they re-group, listen to it, and work some more in the studio...
I think the decision will emerge from those sessions, and right now the band could be having similar arguments/speculations as the ones we have in here...
We all know the band has changed their mind at the last minute on more than one ocassion, and that´s great because it shows how much freedom U2 has to make decisions...
So I believe everything is possible until the "Songs Of Ascent" show them which is the best way to go.
I hope what I´m saying makes sense...it´s just one man´s opinion anyway.
It´s really wonderfull to share our different opinions on U2, thanks to everyone involved, this is so much fun!
:applaud:

I am getting more excited because they're talking about it but I don't want to set my expectations too high. They'll will almost certainly work on SOA betweem leg 2 and 3. But if it's finished before leg 3 starts is another question of course.

I´m building my expectations towards a October/November of 2010 release...I just feel it´s more logical, u know...

To me it's not logical at all. They'll be wrapping up a tour, who releases something new when a tour ends?

If it doesn't get released in the spring then it's going to be awhile...

To me it's not logical at all. They'll be wrapping up a tour, who releases something new when a tour ends?

Who releases a spring album when the last two fell short of sales expectations? That's not logical either.

What I tried to illustrate in my post from yesterday (I think), was that because this album is going to be more atmospheric, and that they will still be touring the current songs next year to the places they haven't played on legs 1 and 2, most of the SOA tracks might not even be played live. Maybe we'll only hear one or two next year. If they release a new single between legs 3 and 4, they can use the tour to actually drum up excitement for the album instead of vice-versa, and release SOA in the fall.

:yes: I like the idea posted earlier that the band will want to have some new songs to play live next year...

Who releases a spring album when the last two fell short of sales expectations? That's not logical either.

The last two? Albums in general just aren't selling, there might be a slight difference in fall and spring but not much anymore. U2 is going to have to face that. They are just going to have to promote it differently, and I think releasing it right after a tour is the perfect way to start a crappy promotion cycle.

What I tried to illustrate in my post from yesterday (I think), was that because this album is going to be more atmospheric, and that they will still be touring the current songs next year to the places they haven't played on legs 1 and 2, most of the SOA tracks might not even be played live. Maybe we'll only hear one or two next year. If they release a new single between legs 3 and 4, they can use the tour to actually drum up excitement for the album instead of vice-versa, and release SOA in the fall.

But then they'll still want to do TV and magazines and I just don't think that's going to work for a band like U2 who's noted for being a live band to do that after a tour.

at least he has something other than opinion and conjecture. :shrug:

but you've got nastiness and condescension on your side, so i guess we'll just call it a draw.

The last two? Albums in general just aren't selling, there might be a slight difference in fall and spring but not much anymore. U2 is going to have to face that. They are just going to have to promote it differently, and I think releasing it right after a tour is the perfect way to start a crappy promotion cycle.

But then they'll still want to do TV and magazines and I just don't think that's going to work for a band like U2 who's noted for being a live band to do that after a tour.

Well, whatever happens, I'm sure we can all agree that it's not going to fit the normal album promo/release/tour format. So it's probably not a good idea to apply the standard scheduling this time around. And it should be noted that while Cockropa was released during a tour break, it didn't get the level of coverage that its predecessor did.

Again, my strongest point is that the band will still be touring THIS album next year, in all the places that haven't seen them in 2009 (despite the fact that a new song has been dropped from the standard setlist, they are very much behind these songs). And that SOA is meant to be more of a supplemental album, with songs that aren't necessarily built for the live setting, so it's not essential that it comes out before the tour starts up again.

As for your point about slumping sales, you're right. Which is why flipping the standard practice by letting the tour promote the album might actually work. Everyone who attended the tour will be currently excited about the band and won't think twice about picking up a fall release, especially if a single has been out since the summer.

if "Kingdom Of Love" is on this album, it'll be pretty sweet when the band walk out to this song and the entire crowd knows it, lol!

but you've got nastiness and condescension on your side, so i guess we'll just call it a draw.

Right. Find in my posts before these two quotes:

I will deconstruct this delibrately misinterpreted nonsense when I get back.

you're really taking an ignorant approach to this argument.

where there was any nastiness on my part and please quote it in response.

As to condescension, well, that's all in how you interpret it. For some people the mere fact that they disagree with someone else and provide their reasoning is condescending. Because how can a mere mortal such as myself possibly draw a valid conclusion that contradicts those of some of Interference's biggest brains.

As to this:
at least he has something other than opinion and conjecture.

he does? The implication here is the studio time could be used to work on SoA. This is 100% true...

but still just opinion and conjecture. And even if it were proven as fact that it were being used to work on SoA, it's just opinion and conjecture that this studio work could mean a imminent release.

Anything else of value you wanted to add? Or just feel like taking a shot or two?

I specifically said when I started this thread that there is to be no arguing. At least argue without name calling or warnings will be handed out.

yes. all i was trying to do is help you out in this thread because it seemed that you hadn't heard about the latest interview and chatter. - http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f204/soa-202017.html

if i had known that you would act like a complete douchebag, i wouldn't have invited you to this thread.

Wow. Really can't stand people's opinions that don't agree with your own, can you.

Look, it boils down to this, Mikal and Dan...

I hope SoA comes out in March. That would be awesome if it did! Hell, I hope it comes out still in December. Technically, there's still time. But I think December 2010 is far more likely and there's a distinct possiblity of it getting shelved altogether.

Why? Because they're not happy with how NLOTH is performing. To me, reading between the lines when they talk about it, they're practically screaming that commercially they made a misstep. Don't start twisting this argument again. I'm speaking with an objective opinion, not a personal one. Personally I love NLOTH, okay? 3rd best for me.

But objectively.. Underperforming album, poorly received singles, ambivalance to the new material at the American shows that's cause a setlist change.. I think they're concerned about releasing something that's been described as more ambient, more contemplative (which to me says even less commercial; at least for U2).

All that stuff they talked about regarding SoA at NLOTH's launch is history. Up to and including the title. Song of Ascent now could very easily be just the name of the project at this point. OR it could be release the day after Thanksgiving.

I don't know. But neither do you. And just because the points you hold as facts I completely see as not facts at all doesn't mean I'm being condescending, willfully ignorant, a d-bag or any of the other crap you have thrown out there.

It just means my perspective is different. Not better. Not more correct. Just different and it's nothing to get this worked up about just because I'm not afraid to challenge you on it. It's just a difference of opinion; nothing more.

We've got batches of them many times before, why not after this leg. Come on U2 if you're reading, dish out some juicy beach clips to us on a plate.

I will now resume the delightful drooling over the thought of more beach clips ...

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Did someone say BEACH CLIPS???? :hyper::drool::hyper::drool::hyper:

EDIT:...Aaaaaaaand it appears I've totally missed the zeitgeist of the thread. Carry on, then.

I don't know. But neither do you. And just because the points you hold as facts I completely see as not facts at all doesn't mean I'm being condescending, willfully ignorant, a d-bag or any of the other crap you have thrown out there.

It just means my perspective is different. Not better. Not more correct. Just different and it's nothing to get this worked up about just because I'm not afraid to challenge you on it. It's just a difference of opinion; nothing more.

I don't think you do believe that. When you became involved in this dicussion, your first post was to deconstruct my post which was gathering the information we had (be it solid evidence, quotes from people close to the band, whatever). I think you have become confused because I started that post by saying "fact of the matter is". That does not mean that everything I am posting below is fact. It is a plea for people to look at the evidence I am posting to help them see how the situation now is different to 3, 8 and 12 years ago.

Of course you may have your opinion that it is not different than last time, but try and back up your arguements with logic, or at least say that it is your gut feeling. Don't just tell us we are wrong because you say so.

Are you honestly not prepared to acknowledge that this time IS different (as opposed to MIGHT BE different) simply because we have an album name (noone has said it to be provisional, Bono has actually said on many occasions "the next album is called Songs of Ascent), a first single name (Bono has called EBW the first single on 2 occasions, once in late march, once in october) and information from 2 different sources about the band recording in vancouver when the tour leg is over.

If in the face of all of this, you still cannot see how this is any different from passing comments (eg larry in Honolulu saying "see you real soon," honestly, that was ALL?!?!?!) then I dont know what else to say. This is something that isn't a matter of opinion. It is fact that they have done things differently, I think you assume that we think the outcome has to be different because of it: not true. It may be shelved. However these signs point to them working hard to finish it and get it out, and for now that is change.

Hey, let's keep talking in generalities and repeating the same bullshit over and over because that's really productive and thought-provoking. :rolleyes:

I don't know why I bother coming in here; every time it devolves into a pissing contest.

Snowlock, quit it, what the hell is the point of arguing over the degree of optimism each of us takes on this project? You're derailing a thread everyone could and should be enjoying, and even the moderator has asked you to stop, this has been going on for more than half the thread, find something else to do.

I don't think you do believe that.

Jayzus dude.

When you became involved in this dicussion, your first post was to deconstruct my post

Yes. Because I disagreed with it, point for point. Still do. Still hope you're right too.

I think you have become confused because I started that post by saying "fact of the matter is". That does not mean that everything I am posting below is fact. It is a plea for people to look at the evidence I am posting to help them see how the situation now is different to 3, 8 and 12 years ago.

First, I didn't take it as fact. I took it as opinion. That's why we disagree. You think what you have are facts. I think you may also believe what I'm saying I believe are facts. Neither is true. It's all opinion.

Second, You think just because I disagree that I'm confused? Wow.

Of course you may have your opinion that it is not different than last time, but try and back up your arguements with logic, or at least say that it is your gut feeling. Don't just tell us we are wrong because you say so.

So, you get to present evidence to your opinion. But anyone else that has different opinion, its only valid if its a gut feeling if the logic I'm using (and I am using logic and historical trends) isn't something you feel is valid?

Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound?

As to telling you you are wrong because I say so, I've given you plenty of evidence as to why I believe what I do. You don't agree with it; that's fine. But to say I have no evidence is entering the realm of all the stuff you and Mikal have been accusing me of. Neither of us have any concrete evidence. Its all conjecture from both sides. Both sides have some circumstantial evidence from which we are coming to opposite conclusions. That's the extent of it.

Are you honestly not prepared to acknowledge that this time IS different (as opposed to MIGHT BE different) simply because we have an album name (noone has said it to be provisional, Bono has actually said on many occasions "the next album is called Songs of Ascent), a first single name (Bono has called EBW the first single on 2 occasions, once in late march, once in october) and information from 2 different sources about the band recording in vancouver when the tour leg is over.

Yes! I said in my first post to you that I'm optimistic of seeing another album sooner rather than later. Do you need me to quote it? But I also wouldn't be surprised at all if it doesn't appear at minimum in Dec 2010 or worst case senario years down the road or it could even be shelved just like the Rubin sessions for the reasons I've given in past posts.

But for all that optimism I do have about the record, none of it comes from a song name or an album title name nor from the fact some guy on a message board said U2 booked some studio time. My optimism soley is based on the band saying Eno was in the studio looking over the stuff and the band saying they were planning to take a look at the stuff when leg 2 ends. Those two statements alone don't inspire that much optimism and certainly says nothing of any kind of timetable.

If in the face of all of this, you still cannot see how this is any different from passing comments (eg larry in Honolulu saying "see you real soon," honestly, that was ALL?!?!?!)

it was much more than that. That was the tailend of a lot of rumors about a new album on the way. No, not just going off one comment.

then I dont know what else to say. This is something that isn't a matter of opinion. It is fact that they have done things differently, I think you assume that we think the outcome has to be different because of it: not true. It may be shelved. However these signs point to them working hard to finish it and get it out, and for now that is change.

See, you just take a this huge leap right in mid paragraph that is based on nothing at all that I'm sorry I can't reconcile:

then I dont know what else to say. This is something that isn't a matter of opinion. It is fact that they have done things differently, I think you assume that we think the outcome has to be different because of it: not true. It may be shelved.

No problems here and then:

However these signs point to them working hard to finish it and get it out, and for now that is change.

How? I ask that rhetorically. You've already explained your opinion. But there is nothing that's been said by the band that they are, or will be, working hard on putting it out. And I'm reading "working hard to finish it and get it out" as "get it out quickly" and there is ZERO evidence to say they plan on doing that.

Look, the end of the Vertigo tour was December 2006. U2 were talking about a quick turnaround. They wanted to build on the momentum the Vertigo tour. They started the Rubin sessions before the tour ended, in July of 06. U2.com subscribers were even emailed with confirmation that U2 were already at work on the new album. That album came out how much later?

The only differences you have to that is the name of a song and the name of an album. In november of 2008, the name of NLOTH was Daylight and Darkness. Names change. Bono is the king of hype. He's like a 5 year old with A.D.D. so excited for fifteen minutes about something until the next bright and shiny comes along to distract him.

That's circumstantial stuff. But its no different from yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom