Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those R&H songs are great sing alongs though. Bono enjoys hearing that from the crowd. There was a song when he seemed disappointed at the end that he wasn't hearing it. I can't remember which one it was now.

I can't remember either, but I'll never forget his disappointment in us in MN not knowing the words to "Purple Rain" aside from the chorus. :reject:

Nothing wrong with them, and I love the idea of using that slot to highlight a different album each night. Two in a row is a bit lame considering people who bought multiple nights would probably be doing consecutive nights.

Anyone else noticing a softening in the anti-u2 sentiment in the broader culture? The Sphere thing (and Atomic City) are getting people genuinely excited. News outlets like the guardian are gushing.

Anyone else noticing a softening in the anti-u2 sentiment in the broader culture? The Sphere thing (and Atomic City) are getting people genuinely excited. News outlets like the guardian are gushing.

I’m still seeing A LOT of anti-U2 on social media videos in the comment sections (especially tik tok). “Should have been someone else” “Bono’s voice is shot” “The sphere came automatically loaded with U2 like on my phone” “Imagine if xyz artist was here” “Why U2” etc

I’m still seeing A LOT of anti-U2 on social media videos in the comment sections (especially tik tok). “Should have been someone else” “Bono’s voice is shot” “The sphere came automatically loaded with U2 like on my phone” “Imagine if xyz artist was here” “Why U2” etc

Yeah a lot of people are still going to hate U2 no matter what they do but also comment sections on social media tend to bring out the worst trolls.

I think this is a huge PR win for them. A lot of people are talking about how amazing the sphere looks and are seeing U2 in a more positive light because of it. Hell even the NME gave it a 5 star review and they usually shit on everything U2 does nowadays. The backlash from the apple fiasco is always going to be there but I think this is a good start in changing some folks minds.

Yeah a lot of people are still going to hate U2 no matter what they do but also comment sections on social media tend to bring out the worst trolls.

I think this is a huge PR win for them. A lot of people are talking about how amazing the sphere looks and are seeing U2 in a more positive light because of it. Hell even the NME gave it a 5 star review and they usually shit on everything U2 does nowadays. The backlash from the apple fiasco is always going to be there but I think this is a good start in changing some folks minds.

It is good PR for them because it’s an amazing venue and they did a great job with it. I think it just pisses off a lot of U2 trolls that much more because of it. It’s definitely good for the band. Makes a lot of people jealous that it wasn’t their band.

Who the fuck is worried about u2 PR? They have a billion fans and a billion haters. No building is gonna change that. Just enjoy your band.

That's just social media though. Anything popular brings out the trolls as it's a way to get easy likes from fellow trolls. Its crazy, because there's new sites and forums where people clearly register and follow things just to post negative comments every single day...

100%

pitchfork didn't even post an article bashing them.

there is nothing wrong with a band in their 60s reminding people why they became so massive in the first place.

Hello everyone, Sorry to post this here, but trying to help my brother see the show.

Headache and others that have been to the show. What are the best areas to sit. What parts of the 100's are obstructed? Do you get the full view of visuals if you are in GA? Is having a forward row in the 300's as good as having a back row in the 200's? That sort of thing.

He will be in Vegas the first week of December, so trying to give him advice from the experts.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello everyone, Sorry to post this here, but trying to help my brother see the show.

Headache and others that have been to the show. What are the best areas to sit. What parts of the 100's are obstructed? Do you get the full view of visuals if you are in GA? Is having a forward row in the 300's as good as having a back row in the 200's? That sort of thing.

He will be in Vegas the first week of December, so trying to give him advice from the experts.

Thank you

i only did GA, so that's the only question I can answer - and the answer is yes, absolutely. it's an incredible experience.

here's a quick video i took from my spot on night 2

re: the other sections - i can only guess, but...

do you have to look up at times to see what's on the screen? well sure, of course you do. but you have to look up at times no matter where you sit. some of the screen literally goes BEHIND the 400s section. so there is no single seat in that building where you can see the entire screen without moving your head. that seat does not exist.

there's only maybe two songs where you'll miss out on the visuals if you can't see the top of the screen - The Fly and Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World. For everything else - as long as you can see most of the screen? yea you're seeing the show. What you can't see is just repeated images.

there's also a very, and i mean very brief moment right at the end of the DJ's set which kind of introduces U2 that you'd miss i you can't see the top. just before he kicks into the Lemon remix that serves as the intro song - there's a helicopter that flies over the "opening" in the dome. it's a small and subtle moment that, while pretty cool, isn't really going to take away from your enjoyment of the show.

Last edited:
i only did GA, so that's the only question I can answer - and the answer is yes, absolutely. it's an incredible experience.

here's a quick video i took from my spot on night 2

re: the other sections - i can only guess, but...

do you have to look up at times to see what's on the screen? well sure, of course you do. but you have to look up at times no matter where you sit. some of the screen literally goes BEHIND the 400s section. so there is no single seat in that building where you can see the entire screen without moving your head. that seat does not exist.

there's only maybe two songs where you'll miss out on the visuals if you can't see the top of the screen - The Fly and Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World. For everything else - as long as you can see most of the screen? yea you're seeing the show. What you can't see is just repeated images.

there's also a very, and i mean very brief moment right at the end of the DJ's set which kind of introduces U2 that you'd miss i you can't see the top. just before he kicks into the Lemon remix that serves as the intro song - there's a helicopter that flies over the "opening" in the dome. it's a small and subtle moment that, while pretty cool, isn't really going to take away from your enjoyment of the show.

Thank you! I appreciate it

I was very excited with the setlist night one, and very pleasantly surprised as they just continued to play Achtung Baby, one after the next. I also loved the Rattle and Hum set. Love Rescue Me was an unexpected gift. It got me listening to the studio version a lot more of late, and I actually love it, despite the bad backing vocals in that one verse. The part where Bono just explodes "I said love . . . climb up the mountains said love" (or whatever it says) is epic and a great vocal. And All I Want Is You is one of my all-time favorites, so it was great to hear that live. Acrobat stands out in my memory as a great performance.

When Elevation started, I was kind of disappointed, but my whole section, who were much less engaged during the Achtung songs, went absolutely wild. That was the most into it they were the whole night, so I understand why they played it. Atomic City, which I don't love, was a rocker live, especially the chorus. I was again somewhat disappointed when Vertigo started. I crossed my arms angrily, much to my mom's amusement because I sing this song all the time; it's constantly stuck in my head. It ended up being kind of fun. I crossed my arms and then went right back to singing at the top of my lungs:lol:

My biggest complaint was the SOS lyrics of Streets. It was jarring to be singing and then Bono just starts singing something else. The original lyrics are so classic and that's what I wanted to hear. Alas, Bono will be Bono. Eventually I just started singing the original lyrics over him. I'm pretty sure he went back to the real ones for the last chorus.

I do wish I did GA instead of seats though. I thought the screen, though very cool esp during The Fly, was annoying when I just wanted to see the band. I felt a little disconnected from Edge and Adam since they weren't talking and were so far away. I personally wish the screen just showed them huge for the whole show, though I understand why that wasn't the case. I think that means I should have done GA.

Overall, it was a great show, and I could not have been more pleased with the main set. It was great to hear all of Achtung and some deeper cuts.

Vertigo was the first tour I saw them, and I had a similar but less-dramatic (no arm-crossing, lol) reaction to "vertigo" the song--I'd thought it was *ok* on the radio, but live it fucking ruled. I always like seeing it since. I wouldn't mind if they swapped out anything else from the 80s or 00s for more 90s though! I've just seen them play the 80s and 00s so many times and less-so of the 90s (or '10s, for that matter--wouldn't mind more of that either, though I bet that's a far less popular opinion).

Lovely write up!

Vertigo is going nowhere. During that tour they would often play it twice to be “punk rock”. As such, I have been to 33 concerts since it was released but have heard Vertigo played 37 times. :sad::lol:

My only gripe is the screen is painfully underused for Side 2. Do also agree that BD isn't the closer. Other than that, it's an amazing amazing show and I definitely want to see how it develops by the time I go back.

That video of yours is great @Headache :applaud:

It just shows the different perspective you get from GA and even from where you are standing in GA. Unlike other venues, when you look around, there's a different backdrop and its all related to the show - its not like you look over and you can see the merchandise stands, the food trucks, the houses behind the venue etc.

I thought this review from someone knowledgeable about the band was pretty perceptive. Poses some interesting questions about concerts going forward and U2 as well. Putting it here because it discusses the setlist:

[TWEET]1709255301688353229[/TWEET]

Its such a little thing, but I'm beyond excited that Bono has brought back the intro refrain for Zoo Station that he used on the arena tour.

Back
Top Bottom