Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yesterday. It was utterly brilliant. It's definitely the best of the series and also my favorite. I can see why they're making it into 2 movies. There is so much action and description that there's not much that can be taken out and keep the integrity of the book. The whole thing keeps you on the edge of your seat. However, I find it hard to compare it to the other 6 because it's so different. I think I mentioned before how I was never allowed to read the books growing up like all my friends because my parents and church thought they were "satanic".:down: However, my friends got me started on them last fall, and I fell in love with them. They're so well-written and have such good messages about life told in a unique and fun way. There's really not a mediocre one in the bunch.

ETA: I'm about to start "All The President's Men" by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward. I picked it up at Borders a couple weeks ago. I read the first chapter then, and it really reeled me in. Nixon FAIL.

Thankya! Sounds good... rejection of science... compulsory religious faith... that's exactly the kind of horror scenario that I find interesting!

Check out any number of books by Philip K. Dick. Most of his catalogue is about dystopian societies and such.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell has certain parts of the book that are about dystopian societies and is a wonderful read.

Of course, there's The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin is another one.

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace ( RIP :( )

I'm sure that you've already seen and/or read A Clockwork Orange.

And then there are works by Vonnegut, Bradbury, William Gibson, Harlan Ellison and William Burroughs.

Hope that helps....

Thanks for the long list, No spoken words! I'll have to check those out. I actually haven't read any of those yet. :)

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of The Kite Runner) is a fabulous book.

Thanks for the long list, No spoken words! I'll have to check those out. I actually haven't read any of those yet. :)

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of The Kite Runner) is a fabulous book.

No problem; if you do read any of those, please let me know your thoughts!

Thankya! Sounds good... rejection of science... compulsory religious faith... that's exactly the kind of horror scenario that I find interesting!

No worries you're most welcome.

BTW i take it you've been through the usual 1984, Brave New World duo. If not they're worth look into.

Also check out Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin.

I'm currently reading Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Baghdad's Green Zone, and Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park and man is that weird but I'm enjoying it so much more than his other work although its interesting given my lukewarm opinion of him to see him exploring his own life and work through such an odd narrative.

Can You Recommend Some Good Books?

I'm going on vacation in a bit, and I'm in need of some books to keep me occupied on the way over. Of course I've read "In Conversation" (three times, actually), but I'm trying to branch out and find some classics. Stuff I wouldn't normally stumble upon. I just picked up Hemmingway's "The Sun Also Rises", and I want a few others. Keep in mind, I'm an 18-year-old dude, so no Victorian romances please :wave: I'm also quote interested in any literature Bono has mentioned or written about. I like the insight into his mind / lyrics.

I'm going on vacation in a bit, and I'm in need of some books to keep me occupied on the way over. Of course I've read "In Conversation" (three times, actually), but I'm trying to branch out and find some classics. Stuff I wouldn't normally stumble upon. I just picked up Hemmingway's "The Sun Also Rises", and I want a few others. Keep in mind, I'm an 18-year-old dude, so no Victorian romances please :wave: I'm also quote interested in any literature Bono has mentioned or written about. I like the insight into his mind / lyrics.

East of Eden by Steinbeck.

in the middle of three books currently: their eyes were watching god and all quiet on the western front for my ap english class, angela's ashes for my irish literature class and three cups of tea finally, for fun! :)

i read angela's ashes and all quiet when i was younger, and they both had a profound impact on my thoughts about ireland and war, respectively, and they both helped to form my current opinions on both. i'm interested in going back to them at this point in my life to see what i think of them nowadays....:hmm:

i just saw a presentation in school today on oscar wilde, so i'm thinking the picture of dorian gray but i don't actually know if bono read that, or just namechecked it??? :reject: it's definitely intriguing :up:

Theory and Reality: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science

Its an interesting read, it is entry level and quite practical, next up is Reading Lolita in Tehran.

I've read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass :heart: I loved them as a child and it was great to revisit the books, now in original English.

I've also finished Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult, which I enjoyed a lot like I have most of her books. I'm very annoyed though that I looked at the last page which revealed the final twist :mad:

She has another new book already? Sheesh!

I haven't gotten around to reading Change of Heart yet.

She has another new book already? Sheesh!

I haven't gotten around to reading Change of Heart yet.

i know, i was shocked too! :huh:

it's called handle with care, and the back cover of it was really vague cos i think she's still working out the details, but it's something about a kid who has a really bad disease and like the struggle his parents go through
looks intriguing :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom