Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeeGee, the place is phenomenal. It's a traditional, two-story colonial that is surrounded by an african garden. His writing room (located in a separate building behind the main house) was the coolest part.

There are cats everywhere. I didn't pay much attention to their feet, but interestingly enough my cat is a polydactyl.

034.Hemingways+Writing+Room.JPG

I'm reading a great biography right now called "Hemingway - A Life Without Consequences"

Ouch. Here's what Stephen King has to be say about the "Twilight" author.

According to Stephen, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

Stephen King On 'Twilight' Author: 'Stephenie Meyer Can't Write Worth A Darn' - omg! news on Yahoo!

Now, I've never read those books, and don't intend to because I'm not a teen anymore. But whoa, being told you can't write has got to hurt!

Ouch. Here's what Stephen King has to be say about the "Twilight" author.

Stephen King On 'Twilight' Author: 'Stephenie Meyer Can't Write Worth A Darn' - omg! news on Yahoo!

Now, I've never read those books, and don't intend to because I'm not a teen anymore. But whoa, being told you can't write has got to hurt!

i am a teen still and all my friends are OBSESSED with twilight, and i was implored to read it. i really didn't like it. the writing is very basic and there's no lush detailed writing, and absolutely ZERO character development. stuff literally happens, and i had no idea where or how or why it started, the writing just doesn't make sense. my theory is that the character of bella is given no personality so that tween/teen girls will project themselves onto her, and then imagine themselves with edward, become addicted, etc....:shrug:
but yeah, that is harsh of king....:huh:

According to Stephen, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

Mr. King is after my own heart. :cute:

Eh, he's pretty frail these days. If he tried to attempt some sort of knife crime on me, I could take him.

Speaking of Stephen King, anyone here read Duma Key? I have it out from the library, but with school and other reading prospects I don't know if I want to take the time.

The Funnies by J. Robert Lennon

Imagine if your father was a cartoonist and your family the inspiration for a long-running, beloved comic strip that's pretty much Family Circus but called something else to avoid being sued? And then your father dies and leaves you the stip in his will? And you have three months to learn how to draw the strip while dealing with your highly dysfunctional family?

The book was very good, often funny, often weird and often sad. Loved the jabs at other strips, particularly the strip that's quite obviously Cathy.

Just started the Time Traveler's Wife.

Just finished that one. One thing I noticed is that books written by men never go into details of a wedding - it's like the Godfather movie - Michael shoots McCluskey, moves to Sicily, marries Appalonia, BAM, comes back, finds Kay, kids - no wedding scene - it's all good. Anyway, this one started out cool - time travel and science stuff, and then the whole middle got into relationship / wedding shit and I kinda lost interest for a while there, then it got back to the time travel & science shit and I liked it again. And I thought the end was cool. So 3.5 / 5. Also, women write about sex more. Women really put a lot of thought into things, don't they?

Just finished that one. One thing I noticed is that books written by men never go into details of a wedding - it's like the Godfather movie - Michael shoots McCluskey, moves to Sicily, marries Appalonia, BAM, comes back, finds Kay, kids - no wedding scene - it's all good. Anyway, this one started out cool - time travel and science stuff, and then the whole middle got into relationship / wedding shit and I kinda lost interest for a while there, then it got back to the time travel & science shit and I liked it again. And I thought the end was cool. So 3.5 / 5. Also, women write about sex more. Women really put a lot of thought into things, don't they?

Did it talk about the veiny underside of it's helmeted head?

I was stuck on airplanes a lot his past week so somebody had given me a copy of Twilight insisting that I read it and that it will be wonderful.

It was HORRIBLE. Please do not read this heinous, awful book. The whole thing was horrible. From the shitty writing that is on the level of a 9th grade student, to the idiotic plot to the fact that nothing actually happens in like 500 pages. I can't believe I finished it.

I was stuck on airplanes a lot his past week so somebody had given me a copy of Twilight insisting that I read it and that it will be wonderful.

It was HORRIBLE. Please do not read this heinous, awful book. The whole thing was horrible. From the shitty writing that is on the level of a 9th grade student, to the idiotic plot to the fact that nothing actually happens in like 500 pages. I can't believe I finished it.

I can't believe that you, who have often made mention of not having time for reading for pleasure only (albeit regretfully), decided to read this.

Martina.

I am so sorry you had to experience that. :hug:

Just started reading The Fate of the Romanovs by Greg King and Penny Wilson. A friend gave this book to me, knowing of my obsession with the Romanov family. Hopefully it will be a decent read!

Any Dashiell Hammett fans here? Been plowing through his rather small list of works over the last year. Finished The Thin Man (hilarious, practically a blueprint for the movie adaptation) recently, and now I'm in the middle of The Glass Key. I didn't realize how huge of an influence this was on the Coen Bros.' film Miller's Crossing.

I still prefer Chandler, but this guy really was a groundbreaking talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom