Random Music Thread XXXIII: Laz Goes Tubing, Gets Run Over By Tugboat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, alright. On your recommendation, I will finally hear this. I guess I was put off by how many covers are on it. Well, that and I just can't picture Robert Plant not rocking. Then again, I suppose it's for the best. Led Zeppelin will never be what the Who became.

I don't think that you will be disappointed. It certainly does not rock, but they both weave such delicate vocal webs that it is really hard not to be captivated. I think that Robert has made a brilliant career transition here in his golden years. It would not really make much sense for him to perform as a blues shrieker any more, even though I loved him in that role. He wears the elder statesman/elder mystic cloak very well.

Everything iYup said and more. I can't exactly form into words how I feel about Robert Plant, he's that awesome.

And don't wear a U2 t-shirt.
I don't have one, so that's not an issue. The only band shirt I have is The National, and because I didn't get an opportunity to try it on, I got a medium that was too small.
Uncle T-Bag, it's getting high time for your first half roundup thread, no?
Yeah, what the fuck, Scumbo? Get on this shiznits.

I think I could do that. Still kicking myself I didn't buy a De La shirt earlier in the year... they were all old skool and shit, looked so cool.

1. Cut a hole in a box.

2. Listened to Raising Sand and liked it a great deal. I wish it were a little more lively (the "rockers," especially Fortune Teller, cooked, or at least simmered), but I liked just about every song. The only Plant-penned song, Please Read the Letter, was perhaps my favorite song, and I loved the vibrato-heavy guitar throughout the record. Really cool.

3. Listening to a vinyl on headphones for the first time in ages: Peter Gabriel III. Excellent record, and the sound is awesome. What I love about this record is its balance of esoteric subject matter and strong hooks; even Intruder, one of the most dissonant tracks has that lovely (and frightening) AHHHHHHHHHHHH chorus. The production is also really strong...one of the few great records that Steve Lillywhite has a sole production credit for.

I think I could do that. Still kicking myself I didn't buy a De La shirt earlier in the year... they were all old skool and shit, looked so cool.

Haha, you don't have to. Those things are probably wicked expensive.

I still wear my De La shirt a lot. :)

Also, I'm kidding, I will never hate Big Boi.

Let me guess...Shouter band too? Because they seem to be right in his wheelhouse. Great band, definitely.

Tat Det Lugnt had a ton of press around it. Anyone who bought a music magazine or looked at a music website probably saw it mentioned somewhere 7 years ago.

Anyone like Frank Ocean? I feel like we haven't had a good mainstream R&B artist in a long time... I liked Usher's 8701 album a fair bit. His work on Tyler's She is great, and that Novacane song is pretty good.

Anyone like Frank Ocean? I feel like we haven't had a good mainstream R&B artist in a long time... I liked Usher's 8701 album a fair bit. His work on Tyler's She is great, and that Novacane song is pretty good.

I listen to Nostalgia, Ultra more than Goblin.

Also, Frank Ocean's Strawberry Swing > Pissy Martin's.

I like the new Rapture song, hopefully the album is good.

I said it in the Okkervil River thread and will say it here, Titus Andronicus are considerably better live than on album.

Roam by the B-52s has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, one of my favorite overplayed 80s hits, so I'm listening to the album it's from, Cosmic Thing, now. Really quite good for the most part, though half the time I hear Love Shack it's incredibly unpleasant (especially when I only hear a snippet of it...the song gets so much better when it's allowed to breathe). Does anyone else want to throat-punch that douche who talks over all the songs?

After scouring the Seattle FANCAM image, I am 95% confident that this is the top of my head:

fancam.jpg

Roam by the B-52s has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, one of my favorite overplayed 80s hits, so I'm listening to the album it's from, Cosmic Thing, now. Really quite good for the most part, though half the time I hear Love Shack it's incredibly unpleasant (especially when I only hear a snippet of it...the song gets so much better when it's allowed to breathe). Does anyone else want to throat-punch that douche who talks over all the songs?

Fred Schneider can be annoying sometimes, but he's such an integral part of the band I wouldn't want to get rid of him.

Cosmic Thing is a great album. I think Deadbeat Club is my favorite, even if it's not as goofy as the band's typical stuff.

Channel Z is great too.

Ha, Danny Boy. Well spotted. I'm 0 for 2 with the fan cams. I'll have someone in GA text me in Minneapolis when the cam starts filming, so I can try and make myself visible.

I like Cosmic Thing a lot. There are also a few little gems on Good Stuff, although it's not nearly as good as Cosmic Thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom