Random Music Thread XXXIII: Laz Goes Tubing, Gets Run Over By Tugboat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a good example of the demographic of people who post in the Hip Hop Purists thread. :wink:
It occurred to me while seeing Lenny Kravitz + his band open in Anaheim that it was the most black people I'd ever seen at a U2 show.

One dude at the show did give me props for my NWA shirt which was pretty cool.

bollox said:
It occurred to me while seeing Lenny Kravitz + his band open in Anaheim that it was the most black people I'd ever seen at a U2 show.

One dude at the show did give me props for my NWA shirt which was pretty cool.

I saw Jay-Z and his band open for them so I've got you covered

How about this: a once wore a Led Zeppelin III shirt to a Robert Plant concert. Fair or foul?

It's weird, the only time I've ever given a shit about what anyone's worn at a concert was when some little d-bag high school looking kids at the Roger Waters show wore a Dark Side of the Moon shirt. I have no idea why that pissed me off so much, but it might have been the kid more than the shirt.

Roam by the B-52s has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, one of my favorite overplayed 80s hits, so I'm listening to the album it's from, Cosmic Thing, now. Really quite good for the most part, though half the time I hear Love Shack it's incredibly unpleasant (especially when I only hear a snippet of it...the song gets so much better when it's allowed to breathe). Does anyone else want to throat-punch that douche who talks over all the songs?

I almost feel like he ruins "Deadbeat Club", but I think that's more of an influence from a friend of mine who despises that guy's existence. The song would be a little too stark without him.

But like those before me have said, "Deadbeat Club" is by far my favorite song by them.

Well, Kanye essentially played solo with an iPod, so he doesn't exactly count.

Did he? That's how much I paid attention. I could of swarn he had a backing "band" in Australia though. I've blocked that out of my memory for the most part. All I want to remember from those two nights was Bad (the song, obviously)

Which would still be better than Muse and Damian Marley, my two Shuttlecock openers.

Muse was by far and away the best opening act I got for U2 so far. And that would still be true if I weren't a fan. I got Dashboard Confessional and Mr. Gwen Stefani's OTHER band on the Vertigo tour.

I don't think that's true of non-Muse-fans. The crowd around me at Giants Stadium seemed pretty disinterested. They might be the band with the most showman potential that's opened for U2 but they did nothing to engage with the crowd that didn't know them and hype up the audience, the best thing an opener can do. Snow Patrol may not be the greatest band going, but they definitely know how to do the job of an opener and get everyone there involved. Muse managed to make me not hate 'United States of Eurasia' nearly as much as I did on the album, but they also just plain did not know how to use U2's sound system, even in the nosebleeds the sound was nearly ear-bleeding distorted and loud. That said, they are damn fun in concert, I'm just disputing their success during 360.

Muse was by far and away the best opening act I got for U2 so far. And that would still be true if I weren't a fan. I got Dashboard Confessional and Mr. Gwen Stefani's OTHER band on the Vertigo tour.

Fucking Institute, dear lord. Rossdale airhumped in every direction and rubbed his sweaty hand on a nearby fan. Whatta fun experience.

Has anyone heard this Ty Segall album? Radio played a couple tracks from it when I was on my drive home from work, and I liked both quite a bit.

Man, you guys in LA get ALL the best shit.

hollywood.png

I've seen Muse on many occasions, and they have zero audience interaction. About all you're gonna get is Dom saying 'Thank you, goodnight' at the end of the set. I'm not sure if I've ever heard Matt address the audience.

I'm by no means a Lenny Kravitz fan, but he definitely engaged the audience in Anaheim and the crowd ate it up.

PJ Harvey is far and away the best U2 opener I've seen. She absolutely floored me . . . and left about 99% of the dipshit audience scratching their heads. Fucking U2 fans.

BoMac said:
Best opener for U2 that I saw (and I never tire of saying it): Arcade Fire.

/End discussion.

* SPOILER *

Least surprising statements made in Random on any given day:

1. "I bought something extravagant and unnecessary so I can lord it over the gentiles." - NSW
2. "I'm going to a concert with Martha." - Martha
3. "Fuck Elfa." - everyone
4. "Arcade Fire was good live." - BoMac
5. "I don't like the part where they actually say 'Pow Pow.'" - Peef
6. "Not really my thing, guys. Sorry." - Cobbler
7. "Friggin Cobbler." - everyone

That's true bollox, they never really talk to the audience, but Muse isn't one of those bands that people are going to fall in love with without some coaxing, so that flies at their shows but not as openers, particularly when the volume level is an affront to people's ear health.

bono_212 said:
I'll concede the fact that they, Muse, were not interactive with the crowd, no.

That's a shame, because the Muse thread posters really want to interact with the band.

Bono keeps talking about more intimate shows with rarities, can U2 seriously give us their version of the Rolling Stones' Licks Tour? Playing theaters, arenas and stadiums in succession in the same city/market. Now that'd be an experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom