Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've claimed to not be a fan of hip hop, mainstream country or pop, techno...but i've run into a fair number of songs/albums/bands/artists that get classified as those genres that i do thoroughly enjoy. i know i can't write off any single genre for being 100% all bad, because while overall i am not going to go out of my way to check out the new kanye album or ever voluntarily listen to lady ga ga, they're not representative of everything else that gets put into the same category with them. you can go nuts breaking things into sub-genres, and then there are just plain old exceptions. however, i cannot think of a single hair metal song i've ever heard that i don't wish i could unhear. it's not my era, i did not grow up with the stuff. i have no nostalgic attatchments to any of it. "every rose has its thorn" doesn't even sound good drunk.

I just lost a whole post because of this "Smart Mouse" bullshit on my new Mac.

Anyway, I just wanted to say again that Every Rose Has Its Thorn is better than anything Bon Jovi ever came up with. It's nothing original, but simple and rather classic, not even really qualifying as a power ballad because they don't build to some rock-out climax. Some tasteful soloing from CC, and it also doesn't sound very dated aside from the faint echoey synths on the first verse and the drum sound. It could easily come from the 70's, 90's, whatever.

YouTube - Poison Every Rose Has Its Thorn (video oficial)

Also, w/r/t Def Leppard, I can see how they would annoy the fuck out of a lot of people, but they at least had something unique going with the slicker production and odd alternating high and low-pitched harmonies, and weren't going for the bluesy, blue collar + hairspray thing like most of these other tool bands such as Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Mr. Big, Firehouse, Warrant, and you can throw Motley Crue in there too. Something like Rocket or Armageddon it sounds pretty different from any of those guys.

YouTube - Def Leppard - Rocket

YouTube - Def Leppard - Armageddon It

It should also be noted that Hysteria was a fucking MONSTER album that had a lot of sales, but really was deep in terms of distinct and catchy songs, even if it was top-heavy in terms of the single releases--all six songs on the first SIDE were singles. Which is insane.

This is pretty interesting, even if some of it seems more like the antithesis of rock and roll:

Hysteria (Def Leppard album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Me too, but I hate it so much that I actually like it

Also related, my favourite joke of all time:

What has 7 arms and sucks?

Only by denying you the opportunity to watch the entire video would I be acting sadistically. Song is incredible, and the video is unintentionally hilarious.

Only by denying you the opportunity to watch the entire video would I be acting sadistically. Song is incredible, and the video is unintentionally hilarious.

you sick fuck

I still remember when the video came out and discussing it during gym class. I dont know why this in particular has stuck with me all these years, but I specifically remember a girl I knew complaining that the lyrics were obviously supposed to be "Lets get fucked" and she was pissed off that they 'changed' it.
And that was some top notch animation

While we are on the topic of atrocious hair rock, I think that "Dr. Feelgood" needs to be mentioned alongside the other worthy targets of derision.

I think Photograph is my favorite of theirs.

:up:

I don't give a fuck if it destroys my cred or whatever, this song has a perfect pop chorus:

YouTube - Def Leppard - Armageddon It

and this is one of my favorite power ballads:

YouTube - Def Leppard - Hysteria

Hell, that whole album completely and utterly destroys anything contemporaries like Bon Jovi ever released. The concept of a hair metal album with a half dozen or so really good songs is a unique one, but Hysteria and Pyromania are both really solid.

Why does the horizontal one need a seam to speak out of, but the vertical one doesnt?

Why is their boss a baseball?

What does it mean that a white ball lords it over the brown balls?

Is this a statement about the superiority of the MLB over the NFL?

Is it racism?

Why anything?

That commercial came on again during the game tonight. I was cracking up. I love the fuck out of that thing. I was so glad I'd hooked the DVD recorder up to the DVR before it graced me with its presence so I could share such a thing of beauty with the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom