Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yellowcard's final, self-titled LP is out today. They are my favorite band next to U2 and I've been with them for years, so it's a pretty bittersweet day. (good news: the album is really, really good)

Any pop-punk fans should check it out.

Since ol' mate Cobbs is clearly slacking - or already hard on the piss - then the sacred duty falls to me to inform the rest of you that today is literally the greatest day of the year.

It is AFL Grand Final Day.

Join us. The game begins at 2:30pm Melbourne time, which is 9:30pm on the US west coast and 12:30am on the east coast.

Today we've got this year's minor premiers (and champions in 2005 and 2012), the Sydney Swans, playing against the rest of Australia in an attempt to destroy the forces of all that is good and just in the world.

Representing Australia, goodness, and justice are the Western Bulldogs of Footscray, the battlers from Melbourne's poor western suburbs who have only ever won one premiership, in 1954, and only made a grand final on one other occasion, in 1961. The Dogs finished seventh this year, despite losing only two more games than Sydney, and had a brutal run of injuries, and are the lowest-qualifying team to ever make a grand final. Everybody dismissed their chances at the start of the finals but they've knocked off both of last year's grand finalists on a miraculous journey to the last dance. If they can complete the final chapter of a great sporting fairytale it will basically be one of the greatest moments in sporting history. All of Melbourne has united in backing the Doggies.

So yes, if you know what's good for you, find yourself a stream of the game and tune in.

Signed,
Australia

PS Thanks America, now we have a debate about standing for the national anthem too. Nobody likes our anthem! We don't normally have it before games but we mumble it before the grand final for no readily apparent reason.

Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor...

You guys know I'll be there. As was the case with 2015, it'll be a steep dropoff from 2014 without Shepp Daniel, but such is life.

I see Sting is opening this year. That's a more credible pickup than Bryan Adams, to say the least.

So, the second single from the new Metallica record - Moth Into Flame - is much better than the first, which was pretty much crap imo. This one has some old school Metallica elements in it and is actually good to these ears. Anyone else given it a chance?

And here's them playing it on Fallon if you care:

So, the second single from the new Metallica record - Moth Into Flame - is much better than the first, which was pretty much crap imo. This one has some old school Metallica elements in it and is actually good to these ears. Anyone else given it a chance?

And here's them playing it on Fallon if you care:

Yeah I heard it in the car yesterday and was pleased with what I heard. Gives me some hope for the new album.

I've liked both the songs for the new Metallica so far. Moth Into Flame is pretty good on first listen and feels like a grower.

I'm listening to the new Opeth, but I'm worried I've put their last two on by mistake.

I like what I've heard of it so far. My brother actually met them at an album signing today. Seeing them at Radio City Music Hall tonight so that should be incredible.

Seeing Sting with Peter Gabriel a few months back has got me listening to his solo records again. I *really* like them. They're all strong (with the exception of his most recent (?), that had a Mary J Blige duet as a single). (And then there was that weird lute one, which is ... I don't know. Lumped in with my classical albums.)

Heard his new single and really liked it. Looking forward to the new album in November.

I like what I've heard of it so far. My brother actually met them at an album signing today. Seeing them at Radio City Music Hall tonight so that should be incredible.

I just don't care for this new direction at all. If they were a new band whose first album was Heritage, I literally would never have listened to them. I'm passing on their Australian tour for the first time.

Saw Grimes tonight at a festival in NYC. She rocked it. And for all you haters on Go, the entire crowd went apeshit for it.

Since ol' mate Cobbs is clearly slacking - or already hard on the piss - then the sacred duty falls to me to inform the rest of you that today is literally the greatest day of the year.

It is AFL Grand Final Day.

Join us. The game begins at 2:30pm Melbourne time, which is 9:30pm on the US west coast and 12:30am on the east coast.

Today we've got this year's minor premiers (and champions in 2005 and 2012), the Sydney Swans, playing against the rest of Australia in an attempt to destroy the forces of all that is good and just in the world.

Representing Australia, goodness, and justice are the Western Bulldogs of Footscray, the battlers from Melbourne's poor western suburbs who have only ever won one premiership, in 1954, and only made a grand final on one other occasion, in 1961. The Dogs finished seventh this year, despite losing only two more games than Sydney, and had a brutal run of injuries, and are the lowest-qualifying team to ever make a grand final. Everybody dismissed their chances at the start of the finals but they've knocked off both of last year's grand finalists on a miraculous journey to the last dance. If they can complete the final chapter of a great sporting fairytale it will basically be one of the greatest moments in sporting history. All of Melbourne has united in backing the Doggies.

So yes, if you know what's good for you, find yourself a stream of the game and tune in.

Signed,
Australia

PS Thanks America, now we have a debate about standing for the national anthem too. Nobody likes our anthem! We don't normally have it before games but we mumble it before the grand final for no readily apparent reason.

Great work. What an incredible day it was. Still feels surreal.

I see Sting is opening this year. That's a more credible pickup than Bryan Adams, to say the least.

I didn't see it I overslept, but I thought Bryan Adams was great last year and about the most perfect choice. It's a bit weird to have a less rockier act playing a song about stalking.

Would recommend everyone watch this - one of the greatest gestures I've ever seen, no hyperbole. This is the premiership coach giving his medal to the club's captain and all-round excellent human Bob Murphy, who did an ACL in round three and hasn't played since.

Well, this was my setlist for tonight, so it may still be worth it for you.

Opeth Concert Setlist at Radio City Music Hall, New York on October 1, 2016 | setlist.fm

Hmm. Not as bad as some other recent shows, but all the songs I like I've heard before anyway. Looks like a fun gig but for $80 I'm still going to pass.

Great work. What an incredible day it was. Still feels surreal.

I didn't see it I overslept, but I thought Bryan Adams was great last year and about the most perfect choice. It's a bit weird to have a less rockier act playing a song about stalking.

One of the best grand finals of any sport I've ever watched, with the perfect result.

Sting wasn't bad but god the pre-game entertainment is always totally lacking in atmosphere anyway. Every act is followed by a loud hum of apathy no matter what they do, so I don't know why we bother. And god the duo who sung the anthem were painful.

Oh yeah, and you'll be pleased to know Vance Joy was fucking dreadful.

I am not disappointed by the new Against Me album, but it's easy to say that right after seeing a band live.

Would recommend everyone watch this - one of the greatest gestures I've ever seen, no hyperbole. This is the premiership coach giving his medal to the club's captain and all-round excellent human Bob Murphy, who did an ACL in round three and hasn't played since.

so wait - the team captain got injured and doesn't get a medal like the rest of the team because of that? or is this just a sort of symbolic thing the coach wanted to do to recognize the captain?

i'm confused because in, for example, hockey every player on the roster gets a medal or their name on the stanley cup, injury or not. vladmir konstantinov's name is on the 1998 stanley cup even though he was made a paraplegic during the previous off season.

so wait - the team captain got injured and doesn't get a medal like the rest of the team because of that?

That's right. You only get a medal if you are in the starting 22 for the grand final, or you're the coach. You could play in every other game for the year, but if you are injured or not selected for the grand final, you miss out.

Back
Top Bottom