Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I'm late but Ax, if you're looking into LA shows, the best site is Scenestar. They also post set times.
http://thescenestar.typepad.com

Most US festivals are in summer, but if you want one where you won't be hot, check out Outside Lands in SF. It's freezing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

Cheers. :up:

Freezing? Sign me up. I have no idea why summer is seen as festival season. Basically the last thing I want to do when it's 35+ and not a cloud in the sky is be directly in the sun among a throng of people on a concrete surface. That's weather for a cold beer in the shade.

Warpaint's new album is out and I am listening to it now. I am also seeing them live for the second time in about two weeks.

Really looking forward to that one. Have to wait for my LP to arrive with the download code, though. New Song is an especially hot track.

I'm really digging New Song. I wish it were more representative of the rest of the album though, which is yet to interest me on the whole.

I'm seeing Bob Mould (and Bloc Party wtf is this bill) on Sunday with Ashley and currently appreciating how good an album Flip Your Wig is. The production is vastly improved and the songs are great.

Since we're playing announce the band you're going to see next, I'm seeing Against Me on Tuesday.

Seeing Julien Baker tonight.

Saw Lucius in Central Park last night. Jackson Browne joined them for a song. That was pretty cool!

Next concert, and last for probably quite a while, Sia on Thursday.

Will have to rein in my concert going. And traveling for concerts. Excepting U2, since I can drive three hours north to Vancouver or south to Portland to see them easily and cheaply. Yay for that.

We need to talk about the lead singer of Preoccupations/Viet Cong. Who's dad is he a, and b, how did he manage to get into the band? This looks more like a family photo than a band photo (if there was any doubt who I was referring to, he's the one on the left):

viet-cong-54cc1879bf288.jpg

I saw them live a few weeks back and he really looked like he was an off-duty cop or something. He reminded me of Det. Stabler or something. It was weird, he doesn't fit his voice AT ALL.

Also, I love that this is their promo pic on Google. It says a lot about whatever budget they may have available for promotions, because you're not going to convince me that the guy on the right is *supposed* to not be looking at the camera.

Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor...

Yeah, I've really tried to get into Warpaint with both the last record and this one, but they sadly do nothing for me.

Well there's your problem, you're Cobblering the band. The Fool and Exquisite Corpse are their two great releases. This new album and the self-titled are alright but nothing special like those two.

I think Viet Cong/ Preoccupations' lead singer and his brother was in a band named Women, which disbanded a while ago; Women was a post punk band, bit similar to Viet Cong but bit more experimenting and eclectic. I think for Matt, it was a natural progression to form a new band that carries a torch of Women, which broke down because of tension between members.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I think Viet Cong/ Preoccupations' lead singer and his brother was in a band named Women, which disbanded a while ago; Women was a post punk band, bit similar to Viet Cong but bit more experimenting and eclectic. I think for Matt, it was a natural progression to form a new band that carries a torch of Women, which broke down because of tension between members.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

ok but that doesn't explain why he looks like someone's weird dad trying to be in the band photo.

I didn't realize the band was related to Women. I never listened to them because it was nearly impossible to Google search their music, but I might try harder now, since people on this board seemed to really like them, iirc, and this Preoccupations album is pretty much amazing. Might as well be a new Chameleons joint.

The Women album Public Strain is really strong. It was a sleeper critical pick back in 2010 or whenever. Probably the best thing that larger project has done.

There's a new album out from The Walkmen's Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend's Rostam: I Had a Dream That You Were Mine. I bought it on the strength of the lead single, "1000 Times," but was really impressed with the whole package. It has a ramshackle quality to it with a good deal of strong hooks. Highly recommended.

Also any Kurt Vile fans in here might like the new Cass McCombs. The lead track "Bum Bum Bum" is especially reminiscent of Wakin' on a Pretty Daze.

Back
Top Bottom