Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My whole office was watching that nightmare unfurl live yesterday (my job involves watching a lot of daytime TV), and everyone was truly aghast. Never seen anything quite like it.

I want to become friends with a bunny. Then have a falling out. Just so I can say "you're some bunny that I used to know."

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

North Americans and Europeans (i.e. almost all of you), I am starting to consider some international travel next year. No fixed plans at the moment; I'm basically just making a wishlist and will then sort it into something that is doable.

One of the things I want to do is catch a bunch of gigs, especially of bands that aren't likely to tour down my way. There are some pretty awesome festivals I'd love to attend, but they tend to be summer events and I want to escape the Australian summer/autumn, not skip our winter for even more hot weather. So although suggestions of good festivals are welcome, I'm also wondering if any of your cities/states/countries have useful websites that aggregate upcoming gigs or tours? Whenever I go to New Zealand I make sure to check Undertheradar.co.nz's gig guide to make sure I don't miss anything. Or do you just find out about stuff by seeing tour announcements from your favourites?

If you're going to be in the NYC, Chicago or L.A. area, I recommend OhMyRockness. It's a very substantial listing of upcoming concerts, including free shows. It's pretty much the sole website I use to find concerts. But it only covers those three cities so far.

GUYS. Amoeba has already said that they're not closing or moving.

Yet.

I laughed at this more than I should have.

God, Travis showed that to me the other day and I about died.

Corey Feldman, ladies and gentlemen. Corey Feldman.

Holy shit...I need to watch The Lost Boys or something now. Need a palate cleanser.

I get most my tour info from the FB pages of the bands I like.

And I'm on every venue's mailing list.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to rely on this. Before last.fm had that tremendously unpopular redesign, there were a handful of people who kept the events section for Melbourne really up to date. It was more comprehensive and user-friendly than anywhere else, and could draw on my listening habits to recommend shows. It was great and I miss it a lot.

If you're going to be in the NYC, Chicago or L.A. area, I recommend OhMyRockness. It's a very substantial listing of upcoming concerts, including free shows. It's pretty much the sole website I use to find concerts. But it only covers those three cities so far.

Cool, thank you. :up:

Not sure if any of you know Lisa Hannigan - she's a lovely Irish singer who got her start backing up Damien Rice. Her latest solo effort, At Swim, is worth checking out. Aaron Dessner of The National produced it, so it's got a good amount of moody melancholia running through the instrumentation, which complements Hannigan's vocals nicely.

Not sure if any of you know Lisa Hannigan - she's a lovely Irish singer who got her start backing up Damien Rice. Her latest solo effort, At Swim, is worth checking out. Aaron Dessner of The National produced it, so it's got a good amount of moody melancholia running through the instrumentation, which complements Hannigan's vocals nicely.

This sounds right up my alley, thanks for the rec.

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

I'll have to check it out; I was pretty disappointed by her first, but I love her voice.

Enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Still, very nice music. I remember her from way back when, I think she was on a CD of U2 covers I had done by Irish artists.

Just popping in to give mahhhh thoughts on MY WOMAN. A strange record... in that the first half is full of the sort of three-and-a-half-minute, accessible singer-songwriter singles about the pitfalls of love we've seen from many female artists (not that any of the songs are bad, they're all quite good, just stuff we've seen before) but then at the halfway point it becomes 10x more interesting and those five tracks, Sister chief amongst them, fucking rule. :up:

I really like almost all of KT Tunstall's albums, and was happy to hear she has a new one out. And happier still to enjoy it. Yay.

Just got around to listening to the Angel Olsen record(having heard Sister and Intern already). Good stuff. Wasn't expecting so much of it to have so much of a rock element, wasn't expecting such prominent guitar parts, etc. Only complaint is that there is a certain sameness to it after a while.

Favorite tracks so far - Woman, Sister, Give It Up, Shut Up Kiss Me, and Intern.

Probably one of the better records of the year.

Also recently finally listened to Carly Rae's Emotion. Don't love it as much as some of you, but it's a pretty solid pop album. Particularly liked the title track, All That, Making The Most Of The Night, and LA Hallucinations.

Pleasant enough save for a few tracks, but I still say Robyn's Body Talk is the best pop album of the decade so far - so many killer tracks; Dancing On My Own(stone cold classic), Hang With Me, Indestructible, Call Your Girlfriend, Time Machine, etc.

Back
Top Bottom