B&C Best of 2017 - Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. I think we should close this thing by the weekend.

I didn't put this on my list because it was released in 2016 (at least in the US), but goddamn, it's so good. Spotify had it as my most listened to album of 2017.

Looking forward to mofo's list. :up:

Huh I guess it did release digitally a few weeks early, List Gods feel free to drop that one from my tally if need be. I don't really have a replacement off hand.

giphy.gif

I have finally tabulated all the results, which I will release tonight.

We have a clear top-2 this year, separated from the pack by a significant margin. At the same time, the back half of the top-10 is almost tied.

Unfortunately, we only received 14 lists this time, 6 fewer than in 2016. But more albums (128) received at least one point in 2017.

Interestingly, four albums received 15 points, but were only included in one ranking. On the other hand, Spoon's Hot Thoughts was included in 4 lists, but for a total of only 13 points.

Same here. I had it at #12 (3 points only). Their consistently good quality makes them a hard band to evaluate in these rankings. If you were to rank the best discographies of the last 10-15 years, I'm pretty sure they would comfortably make the top 10. But it's hard for any of their albums not called Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga to be ranked as high.

Another amusing piece of information from the rankings: Arcade Fire had all of 1 point.

Sorry for the delay, folks. Here you go for the top 30, in parts.

The tie-breaker is number of votes received by an album.

The B&C Best Albums of 2017

28. (tie) Taylor Swift - Reputation (13 points, 1 vote)
28. (tie) Karine Polwart & Pippa Murphy - A Pocket Full of Wind Resistance (13 points, 1 vote)
28. (tie) Deafcult - Auras (13 points, 1 vote)
27. Arca - Arca (13 points, 2 votes)
26. Spoon - Hot Thoughts (13 points, 4 votes)
25. Paramore - After Laughter (14 points, 2 votes)
21. (tie) Twin Peaks: Music From the Limited Event Series (15 points, 1 vote)
21. (tie) Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel (15 points, 1 vote)
21. (tie) Charli XCX - Pop 2 (15 points, 1 vote)
21. (tie) Blood Command - Cult Drugs (15 points, 1 vote)

20. The XX - I See You (15 points, 2 votes)
19. Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins (16 points, 3 votes)
18. Beck - Colors (17 points, 2 votes)
17. Big Thief - Capacity (17 points, 3 votes)
16. Torres - Three Futures (17 points, 4 votes)
15. SZA - Ctrl (18 points, 2 votes)
14. Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights (20 points, 2 votes)
13. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding (22 points, 2 votes)
12. Ryan Adams - Prisoner (25 points, 2 votes)
11. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (26 points, 3 votes)

I have to say, searching over the archives, B&C has been quite slow this past year.

10. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me (32 points, 3 votes)

R-10017405-1490206936-9468.jpeg.jpg

"It's beautiful and there is a purity and honesty to it that is rare in any genre, even singer/songwriter." (LemonMelon)
"is he just reading his journals over some guitar lines?" (iron yuppie)
"I don't think I've ever heard a sadder album than this." (nielsgov)
"My overwhelming thought is that this would have been much better as a collection poetry, or short stories." (cobbler)

9. Slowdive - Slowdive (35 points, 5 votes)

Slowdive_Album_2017.jpg

"Slowdive album is a shoegaze classic in its own right." (Axver)
"I'm liking it a lot" (NSW)
" Such an awesome band." (iron yuppie)

8. Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes (36 points, 4 votes)

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F7bffa008f7ac3713fbbc2e5f18bbb0a1.1000x1000x1.jpg

"Renato Dell'Ara is special for two reasons: 1) because the name of the man who bought me the record and shipped it to a country where it was not available is named Renato and 2) they take the absolute piss out of Interpol in the lyrics - "but things change / now Stella’s a lager and boy she is always downed" (cobbler)

"If you enjoy Head of Femur, then you may do well to check out Architecture in Helsinki, old-school Fiery Furnaces (another Chicago product, whose EP and Blueberry Boat should rock your world), and one of my current favorites--the Sticking Fingers Into Sockets EP by Wales-based Los Campesinos!. They recently got shout-outs from both Rolling Stone and Pitchfork, so get in on the ground floor while you can, lest you get labeled a bandwagon jumper. They show great promise, those cats."

"Well, barring unimaginable incident (ie, if Radiohead actually releases this: THE-FLY.CO.UK / Top Stories / Radiohead Reveal New Album Details), this [2008] will be the first year in my lifetime in which one band has released the two best LPs of the year. Ridiculous. I really, really, really miss Dave Newfeld's work on the boards, but there is almost nothing about which even I can think to complain, here."

Shouter :sad:

7. Gang of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness (39 points, 3 votes)

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2Ff1ab2a44a71b125277b4953a4498237a.1000x1000x1.jpg

"Mock me forever and a day" (cobbler)
"I would urge more people to ignore my idiocy as a person and give these blokes a shot."
"But their band name will only get worse with time. GANG OF YOUTHS 40TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR!!!" (LemonMelon)
"I would have checked them out, but not after that thread title." (Lazarus)
"Thank God I listened to this album before I saw this atrocity of a thread. (bono_212)

6. Lorde - Melodrama (44 points, 5 votes)

00-holding-lorde-album-art.jpg

"Looks like Lorde is the flavour of the month with most of the publications. Think she's highly overrated myself." (The Other Place)

"Lorde was awful. She cant sing at all. How on earth is she famous? Bowie had crap taste if he rated Lorde" (The Other Place)

"Can't be doing with her voice in all honesty. As if she's been given horse tranquilisers. Heard a few tracks of her tracks - generic and unidentifiable in the grander scheme of mainstream pop music. That some are comparing her to Kate Bush displays an amazing ignorance for Kate Bush's own music. I guess some are needy for a modern day pop chart hero so have picked her out at random in desperation." (The Other Place)

Ok I need to go on a (long) pause now, will come back later for the top 5.

Top 5 tomorrow evening, guys. Sorry, couldn't finish tonight.

6. Lorde - Melodrama (44 points, 5 votes)

00-holding-lorde-album-art.jpg

"Looks like Lorde is the flavour of the month with most of the publications. Think she's highly overrated myself." (The Other Place)

"Lorde was awful. She cant sing at all. How on earth is she famous? Bowie had crap taste if he rated Lorde" (The Other Place)

"Can't be doing with her voice in all honesty. As if she's been given horse tranquilisers. Heard a few tracks of her tracks - generic and unidentifiable in the grander scheme of mainstream pop music. That some are comparing her to Kate Bush displays an amazing ignorance for Kate Bush's own music. I guess some are needy for a modern day pop chart hero so have picked her out at random in desperation." (The Other Place)

Hahaha fuck this was well done.

And somehow my top two made it despite only me voting for them. Christ guys, we need more people on this subforum.

Yep. Kendrick wanted to widen his audience with this album and he certainly did that.

The sophomore CHVRCHES record beating To Pimp a Butterfly, which is almost certainly going to go down as a modern classic, was the most Interference thing ever.

Yep. Kendrick wanted to widen his audience with this album and he certainly did that.

The sophomore CHVRCHES record beating To Pimp a Butterfly, which is almost certainly going to go down as a modern classic, was the most Interference thing ever.

I still deeply approve of that outcome.

5. St. Vincent - Masseduction (50 points, 5 votes)

91XC5I2j%2BkL._SL1500_.jpg

"Wow Los Ageless is like a modern New Wave track filtered through St. Vincent's unique style. Everything that Arcade Fire tried to achieve on their latest album? St. Vincent just did it better in one..." (Joey788)

"One of the most engaging listens of the year, full of sleek n' sexy synth-funk and extremely personal lyricism." (LemonMelon)

"Los Angeles is clearly the standout here." (LanceMC)

"It's called Los Ageless, you fucking idiot." (cobbler)

"Also, just recently found out that she dated Kristen Stewart and I had to take a couple days off work in the aftermath of that news." (GAF)

"Apparently her rebound after Cara Delevingne." (PFan)

4. U2 - Songs of Experience (57 points, 5 votes)

u2-1513635611-640x640.jpg

"Why was Laz banned?" (Dalton)

IF YOU GOOOOOOO (LemonMelon)
OOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOoooooooooooo
ooo
!!!!!!!!
DQx5_NDTVo_AEdz_Ss.jpg

Back
Top Bottom