Random Music Talk XCIV:Great Distances and Ballistic Weaponry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So those late night shows actually start at midnight? Who watches that? Most channels here start replays (reruns?) at that time.

It's only on at midnight tonight because of the Olympics coverage on NBC. Normally it would start at 11:35 eastern and pacific (which might as well be midnight).

But yeah, I'm with you - that shit is bananas. That's one thing I miss about the midwest - prime time starts at 7, and the late show comes on at 10:35!

I'm going to try and find a stream of the east coast feed online and watch that. If it's awesome, I'll watch the HD version on my DVR tomorrow.

That explains something. If I wake up in time I could probably catch a stream and watch it live. Not that I'm going to do that. Sleeping late is too awesome.

So those late night shows actually start at midnight? Who watches that? Most channels here start replays (reruns?) at that time.

A decent amount of people are watching TV at that time, especially people in the 18-34 year old range (which is coveted). Remember, this is a country of 300 million people, so, even if 10% of the population are watching TV at that time, it's something, and advertisers will pay to have their spots run at that hour.

South of the River, London Town

Band: The Sultans of Swing

Music: Dixie, double four time. Also, Creole.

Weather: Raining

Competition - Much, mostly from other places

Select Members:

Guitar George - Vast knowledge of chords. Rhythm only. Poor, can only afford an old guitar.

Harry - Not overly concerned with making the scene. Employed during the day. Skilled at playing the honky tonk; usually saves his ability for Friday night.

Crowd - Includes some young boys in the corner. They don't give a damn about bands that utilize trupmets, does not fit with their personal definition of "rock n roll".

South of the River, London Town

Band: The Sultans of Swing

Music: Dixie, double four time. Also, Creole.

Weather: Raining

Competition - Much, mostly from other places

Select Members:

Guitar George - Vast knowledge of chords. Rhythm only. Poor, can only afford an old guitar.

Harry - Not overly concerned with making the scene. Employed during the day. Skilled at playing the honky tonk; usually saves his ability for Friday night.

Crowd - Includes some young boys in the corner. They don't give a damn about bands that utilize trupmets, does not fit with their personal definition of "rock n roll".

:up:

I humbly request more in this music Cliff Notes series.

I don't understand this game. :(

You get a shiver in the dark
It's been raining in the park but meantime
South of the river you stop and you hold everything
A band is blowing Dixie double four time
You feel all right when you hear that music ring

You step inside but you don't see too many faces
Coming in out of the rain to hear the jazz go down
Too much competition too many other places
But not too many horns can make that sound
Way on downsouth way on downsouth London town

You check out Guitar George he knows all the chords
Mind he's strictly rhythm he doesn't want to make it cry or sing
And an old guitar is all he can afford
When he gets up under the lights to play his thing

And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
He's got a daytime job he's doing alright
He can play honky tonk just like anything
Saving it up for Friday night
With the Sultans with the Sultans of Swing

Amd a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock and roll
And the Sultans played Creole

And then the man he steps right up to the microphone
And says at last just as the time bell rings
'Thank you goodnight now it's time to go home'
and he makes it fast with one more thing
'We are the Sultans of Swing'

Oh, it's because I never liked the song Sultans of Swing. I suppose that's why I don't understand it. :wink:

I was going to try and give you another example, but I couldn't think of a song that would fit the format quite so well and by the time I even got around to starting my post, DB had already ruined my fun anyways :grumpy:

I had the chord progression from that song stuck in my head for like a week over the summer and couldn't for the life of me remember where it was from. And then one day I heard it in a restaurant like six weeks later and finally placed it. But it bugged the shit out of me for those six weeks. I'm a little OCD like that.

I feel that....but maybe I'm just a little crazy...I had "Lonely Is the Night" by Billy Squier stuck in my head on and off for about 3 years without knowing what song it was.

I caught it on the radio a few times, but by the time I'd get home to look up the lyrics, I'd forget what they were. One of the last times I heard it, before finally finding out what it was, I had the ability to identify songs with my cell phone, but the song ended before I could get the program running. The day I finally figured out what song it was was one of the bigger reliefs in my life...

There have been two very good folk-ish releases the last two weeks: Marissa Nadler and Angel Olsen. Both feature terrific vocals.

I pay no attention to the other parts of the forum, should I assume U2 are just performing, or do we know if they actually have an interview?

Tonight's Neutral Milk Hotel show was absolutely fantastic, and I'm not even a very big fan. Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom