Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two notes for fans of ambient and the like...

There's a new Late Night Tales out, this time from Floating Points. I love the Late Night Tales series, so I'm looking forward to hearing this later tonight while I meditate.

Also, Moby is releasing Long Ambients 2. Currently it's only available to premium subscribers on the Calm app, but it's slated for a general release around May 1 on iTunes and Spotify. Long Ambients 1 is a go-to album for me when I need super chill, floating toward the void vibes. I can't wait to hear the follow-up.

The whole thing is hilariously awkward (pay attention to not only Smith's but also Roger O'Donnell's reaction at 0:53):

Last edited:
at work shooting the shit with my colleagues and one of them just got visibly angry that nobody would agree with him that "thunder road" is the best album closer of all time. it was like that is as obvious a fact as 2+2=4 and everyone knows it and anyone who disagrees is just being a flat-earther type of contrarian. :huh:

Can’t tell if you meant to say opener or what LM said was the point.

What LM said if it’s the latter. If you meant opener: one of my all time favorite songs, but I don’t even think I’d necessarily agree that it’s the best, nevermind try to stuff it down someone’s throat. But people are weird.

lol yes i meant to say opener.

the guy's not even a really big springsteen fan (or of any music in particular) otherwise, and we've all seen the types on this forum that would insist until they die that the sound of bono straining to take a hard dump is inherently superior in every way to "hey jude", so if he was one of them for bruce i could see it making sense in terms of blind passion, but nope - just absolutely dead-ass insistent that "thunder road" is on like its own plane of existence or something :shrug:

Last edited:
I've always found it an odd opener to be honest. It feels like it lacks a bit of energy compared with the rest of the record, at least until all the music kicks in. Brilliant song of course but there are tons and tons and tons of openers I like more.

Like a Rolling Stone, Gimme Shelter, Baba O Riley, Streets, Let's Go Crazy, London Calling...it's definitely in that tier but hardly by itself.

Maybe he wrote this list:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2016/05/50_greatest_album-opening_song.html

it's a great song but personally i'd put it a tier below that list, and also put a few more songs ahead of it as well. but of course that's totally subjective, which is the part that tim just weirdly couldn't seem to accept.

Thunder Road is undoubtedly an incredible opener. It gets the informal "cast" of the album out of the house, into the car and on the road to something unknown and exhilarating.

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey, that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again, I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside, darling, you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking that maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty but, hey, you're alright
Oh, and that's alright with me

Definitely one of the greatest opening verses for any album. It's evocative and captures the themes of the album perfectly. You get a sense of the stakes and the personalities of the characters involved in 10 lines, which is great writing.

But yeah, there are dozens of amazing openers in the same league.

Last edited:
And as to the previous discussion, I hope Dave interjected the argument with "No Thunder Road isn't the best opener, its clearly The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)", dropped the mic and left the break room.

I mean Tim Cook (Tim Apple) did call it "the best single ever".

Ghost is a little uneven for me. Synchronicity has some clunkers too but too many great tracks to ignore.

But really, all the Police albums are very good and should be heard. There's only 5 so it's not a monumental task.

I can imagine the see-saw of emotions being a Police fan in 1983 and hearing Synchronicity for the first time. That first half is absolute garbage and then the second half is probably their best work.

I still think of them as a band best served by compilations. Their 1992 Greatest Hits comp is fantastic and has basically everything I need by them, including Tea in the Sahara.

Fun fact: A Police album was released the day I was born.

Edit: And now as I'm looking at it, their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums were all released exactly 1 year apart. Weird

Last edited:
I can imagine the see-saw of emotions being a Police fan in 1983 and hearing Synchronicity for the first time. That first half is absolute garbage and then the second half is probably their best work.

That’s a little overstated. The title tracks that bookend Side 1 are both great (particularly the latter), and Walking in Your Footsteps has a really cool, distinct sound. “Garbage” sounds neg hyperbolic for all three.

Having said that, O My God, Mother, and Mrs. Gradenko are not good at all. But the other three, plus the four (or five, depending on how official you want to be) on Side 2 make it a damned good album imo.

Accidentally jumped from the debut to their third album instead of going straight to the second. I still prefer the debut. That "De do do do, da da da da" song sucks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom