Radiohead discussion continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please point to where I was getting all chicken little about it.

Regardless of whether they tour again next year, this is still an elitist move. They did the same thing after Kid A/Amnesiac.

I don't feel too broken up about not hearing Fake Plastic Trees for the 9th time.

I don't know why I'm typing so much to a guy who "doesn't care" about this, but let's do it.

Please point to where I was getting all chicken little about it.

Most of your posts made since the ticket announcement, where you've been getting yourself all worked up over a bunch of concerts because a band that's not played for four years aren't jumping straight into an world arena tour.

Regardless of whether they tour again next year, this is still an elitist move. They did the same thing after Kid A/Amnesiac.

Haha why are you deliberately ignoring the pesky fact that Radiohead DO go out on proper tours to support the album in order to continue your crusade against this "elitist practice"? You can't simply disregard the full tours they've done just so you can cherry pick the handful of warm up gigs this year and compare them to a full blown Springsteen world tour. (What the fuck??) :lol:

Yeah they've done small tours to road test material before in 2000, 2002 and 2006. Loads of bands do that. And once the albums came out, surprise surprise they went out and did a full tour in decent sized venues, or were already touring in the case of Amnesiac.

They've spent a year in the studio they're going to do a few mostly smaller gigs to see what works live (including 2 concerts at the notoriously exclusive and intimate club Madison Square Garden....) and release the album while also enjoying their lives outside Radiohead for a bit before committing to a 6 month jaunt round the world or whatever.

If they've not played a gig in 4 years, surely you agree it makes sense to do a few smaller gigs rather than just jump head first into a full-on tour after a whole year recording? I don't get why the near certainty that Radiohead will play a bigger tour doesn't take the bug out your ass about a few bloody gigs?!

Last edited:
plus, i might be wrong(!) but judging by your remarks about scenester assholes and the privileged few etc, it seems like your opinion on this is coloured by an image of Radiohead fans set in your mind that then reflects on the band and makes it look like they're catering to (perhaps) a bunch of Bearded, Man Bun, Craft Ale Bastards by selling tickets to Secret Radiohead Clubs.

Doesn't change the fact that these shows obviously aren't the only shows that are going to happen and to ignore that and get your nuts in such a knot about this is absolutely fucking mad! :doh:

Last edited:
PdVspC0.gif

can't simply disregard the full tours they've done just so you can cherry pick the handful of warm up gigs this year and compare them to a full blown Springsteen world tour. (What the fuck??) :lol:

If they've not played a gig in 4 years, surely you agree it makes sense to do a few smaller gigs rather than just jump head first into a full-on tour after a whole year recording? I don't get why the near certainty that Radiohead will play a bigger tour doesn't take the bug out your ass about a few bloody gigs?!

"Handful of warmup gigs"

"a few smaller gigs"

Fri 20Heineken Music HallAmsterdamThe NetherlandsSOLD OUT
Sat 21Heineken Music HallAmsterdamThe NetherlandsSOLD OUT
Mon 23Le ZenithParisFranceSOLD OUT
Tue 24Le ZenithParisFranceSOLD OUT
Thu 26RoundhouseLondonUKSOLD OUT
Fri 27RoundhouseLondonUKSOLD OUT
Sat 28RoundhouseLondonUKSOLD OUT
June 2016
Wed 1Les Nuits Des FourvieresLyonFranceON SALE 30 Mar
Fri 3Primavera Sound FestivalBarcelonaSpainSOLD OUT
Fri 17Secret Solstice FestivalReykjavikIcelandON SALE NOW
July 2016
Sat 2OpenAir St. GallenSt. GallenSwitzerlandON SALE NOW
Fri 8NOS Alive FestLisbonPortugalON SALE NOW
Tue 26Madison Square GardenNew York CityUSASOLD OUT
Wed 27Madison Square GardenNew York CityUSASOLD OUT
Fri 29 - 31Osheaga Music and Arts FestivalMontrealCanadaON SALE NOW
August 2016
Thu 4Shrine AuditoriumLos AngelesUSASOLD OUT
Mon 8Shrine AuditoriumLos AngelesUSASOLD OUT
Sat 20Summer Sonic FestivalOsakaJapanON SALE NOW
Sun 21Summer Sonic FestivalTokyoJapanON SALE NOW
September 2016
Sun 11LollapaloozaBerlinGermanyON SALE NOW
October 2016
Mon 3Palacio de los DeportesMexico CityMexicoSOLD OUT
Tue 4Palacio de los DeportesMexico CityMexicoSOLD OUT

I'd like to pose this question to everyone here; does this list look like a "handful" or "few" to you? I know England uses different terminology for things but I'm pretty sure 22 doesn't fit those labels.

They've spent a year in the studio they're going to do a few mostly smaller gigs to see what works live (including 2 concerts at the notoriously exclusive and intimate club Madison Square Garden....) and release the album while also enjoying their lives outside Radiohead for a bit before committing to a 6 month jaunt round the world or whatever.

6 months? You mean like this tour which begins in May and ends in October, in 12 countries? This isn't a band just wanting to get out and shake some studio cabin fever.

Last edited:
Well, Red Hot Chili Peppers are now working with Nigel Godrich so I guess he is totally freed up from Radiohead.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I honestly can't get worked up over any of this. Over here in Australia, the last time Radiohead did a proper tour, they had two (2) shows in the one capital city I could realistically reach. They sold out within seconds. Might as well not have bothered going online. It's a crapshoot, but hey, that's what youtube is for. I'll stay home and drink.

That said, I'd probably respect them more if they just came out and said they were done being a live band (or if they just came out and said they were done, period, which they mostly are by the look of it). But seemingly, they want to keep a toe in the water, so ok.

Last edited:
6 months? You mean like this tour which begins in May and ends in October, in 12 countries? This isn't a band just wanting to get out and shake some studio cabin fever.

Look, don't pretend not to understand what I'm getting at. These gigs are spread pretty thin across those six months.

You know 13 mostly small concerts + 9 festival slots with lots of downtime spread over six months is completely different to 50-60 dates (incl. festivals) in exclusively large venues over the same period...

But yeah in hindsight maybe I should have been a bit clearer. May have saved time spelling it out in minute detail since you're being so willingly dense.

It's nothing to do with being clearer. Yes, these dates don't require them to commit a lot of time and energy to take them away from recording (if that's what they're actually doing during this period).

But again, don't make it sound like playing all these shows in all these countries is some kind of casual, around-the-corner-from-the-studio lark.

It's a tease for fans to remind people they're still around, but only VIPs in "important" cities get to see it. It's an elitist placeholder.

It's a tease for fans to remind people they're still around, but only VIPs in "important" cities get to see it. It's an elitist placeholder.

Haha there's another one..."VIPs in important cities", give it a rest, eh? Your imaginary class war really has worn out its welcome.

Everybody had the same chance to get a ticket. Are you really so stupid that you think everyone at the "VIP" LA gigs lives within 20 miles of the venue?

Let's get this straight, this is an elitist tour because they're only playing two major cities in the US rather than, say, Wichita, KA and Lincoln, NE?
If they'd announced four US gigs in just those two cities instead, what do you think would have happened? Only locals would have applied for tickets and been so grateful for being included? No. People from all over the US would have chanced the mad dash we saw last week, bought tickets...then decided, hey that was lucky, I got tickets to a small Radiohead gig in a non VIP city ( :rolleyes: ) better book a flight and make a trip of it.

Sooo...the non-elitist gigs you seem to crave so badly would be........full of the elite who could afford flights and accommodation to some small city slap bang in the middle of America. You know, a city farrr away from NY and LA because fuck putting on your only 4 American gigs in major cities, you elitist hipster bastards.

Like I said, everyone had the exact same chance to get tickets. I don't live anywhere near London, I got a ticket and have to pay for travel etc as well. I'm not part of your imaginary elite, but I understand if they're only playing 3 gigs in the UK, it's sensible for them to do it in one of the major cities with the better infrastructure that people can get to a hell of a lot easier than fucking Plymouth. Sorry your country's so giant that the two major cities are on opposite ends and posing more of a problem, but them's the breaks.

I get the feeling you'll say something along the lines of "I'm not saying only do two small cities and nothing else, I'm saying do NY/LA and the small cities.....and a load of other cities so it's fair and not elitist waaaah!!!" or whatever, so I'll just say again....all those smaller cities will GET GIGS ON THE ACTUAL TOUR LATER. Stop pretending their won't be much larger gigs in the US that will most likely MAKE UP PRETTY MUCH HALF OF THE ENTIRE TOUR!! If you can't wrap your head around that and will continue to sit their fuming because you don't get a full US leg NOW rather than later then um....I don't know what to tell you.

Not really much I can add anymore, I'm just dealing with the facts here, the precedent set by previous tours. If you're going to keep pounding sand, ignoring the facts and common sense so you can make a big deal of how anti-elitism you are, then I really can't help you.

Last edited:
I've seen them live seven times, and whether I see them in 2017 and beyond will depend solely on how much I dig the new release (KoL was by no means a "bad" album, it's quite beautiful in places, but I find the whole somewhat unsatisfying. But the run of albums before that from The Bends to IR defies belief. I doubt another band will repeat that in my lifetime).

I've seen them live seven times, and whether I see them in 2017 and beyond will depend solely on how much I dig the new release (KoL was by no means a "bad" album, it's quite beautiful in places, but I find the whole somewhat unsatisfying. But the run of albums before that from The Bends to IR defies belief. I doubt another band will repeat that in my lifetime).

I don't disagree with you about your KoL assessment, but I will say that almost all of those KoL songs were vastly improved and kicked-ass live! (The exception being 'Separator', which was very good live, but I feel is better on the album -- just because of all the layered production the album version has vs. live.)

Also, I think 7 is also the number of times I've seen them too, so :hi5:

Bloom and Morning Mr Magpie are such a huge improvement in particular. Magpie did nothing for me on record but it's so kinetic live.

Forgot to comment on this! I think all the King of Limbs tracks were great live. Even Feral, which pretty much everyone but me and Imps hated on, was kickass. I agree on Mr Magpie too, that was heaps better live.

Separator made me cry, so I can't abide that being better on record, great as it is. But for me the highlight was Give up the Ghost. I remember everything about that, from the performance - Colin the only band member on stage playing music, recreating the soundscapes and Thom looping his vocals - it was incredibly beautiful.

Many people complained about the almost complete lack of Bends material (a funky version of Planet Telex was the only one we got over two nights) and OKC (the Thom during Karma Police was a very different Thom to the one during Myxomatosis, for example, although Exit Music, Climbing up the Walls and Paranoid Android all ruled) but I fucking loved those two gigs, probably behind only U2 as my favourite ever. I'd gladly take that again, the band being really into later material.

Feral was my bathroom break track. I actually have no idea if it was good or not, but what I heard of it still sounded like Feral, which means I don't regret my choice all that much.

Bloom was a strange opener, but otherwise I was pretty happy with how KOL translated live. Magpie improved a lot. It's a really good album as it is, so I would have enjoyed it even if they just hit play on a recording and stood around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom