Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why not an album full of graces and babyfaces? :cute::wink:

to wipe away such shit, one might need mercy brand toilet paper...

mercy.jpg

Meaning the Brothers version ... but there is an official release, as the song is also a part of Linear, Corbijn's little movie included in the special edition of NLOTH.

:up: Nice dodge. The song is out officially, and legally available. Two different versions, no less.

Releasing a third one would be unheard of, and pretty silly.

:up: Nice dodge. The song is out officially, and legally available. Two different versions, no less.

But it's not, but as everyone here in interference knows you will stubburnly stand by false points just so you don't have to admit you're wrong.

Stingray is not live :up:

:wave:

The only songs i can see being on the next album, EP, whatever, are North Star, EBW, and Mercy. I think the Spidey song is being played to promote the musical, and Glastonbury I predict will get thrown out due to its irrelevance (real meaning and theme aside, it is after all a song they wrote for the festival, i doubt it will make it to an album). Winter is already dead, their use of it for Brothers was their way of "releasing" it. And Soon will most likley end up on a B-side best of collection in the future, but for the next album....NO.

But it's not, but as everyone here in interference knows you will stubburnly stand by false points just so you don't have to admit you're wrong.

Stingray is not live :up:

You're the one that said

Neither one you can buy or download legally.

False - both Soon and Winter can be bought quite legally. A fact not changed by your dodging replies. But everyone knows BVS is always right...

Stingray is much more than Soon. :up:

is ripping a song from a DVD and playing it on your ipod legal? honestly, i really don't know the answer to this.

You're the one that said

Neither one you can buy or download legally.

False - both Soon and Winter can be bought quite legally. A fact not changed by your dodging replies. But everyone knows BVS is always right...

Stingray is much more than Soon. :up:

Soon can be bought legally. If there is audio of either version of Winter that can be bought legally, could you please provide a link?

edit: :wave:

And Soon will most likley end up on a B-side best of collection in the future, but for the next album....NO.

I still have a feeling Soon(the version we have) is not the full song. Depending on what kind of release we see, I think we'll see it on an album. It will be a great intro to an album like SOA(the description we got).

is ripping a song from a DVD and playing it on your ipod legal? honestly, i really don't know the answer to this.

It isn't, something she doesn't seem to want to understand.

The band doesn't release everything they work on.

I didn't say they did! God! You can be so illogical at times! The entirety of my point was that they have demonstrated that they certainly have enough material for an album! :banghead:

We all fully understand by now that if U2 ever do put Winter on an album you will discipline then severely!

Now please, I don't feel like getting u2girl'ed today.....

Winter isn't released AS MUSIC in any form, either version.

Soon is VINYL-only, and only if you spend $100.

yea... but can you buy it if you really want to? yes, you can. not to mention the fact that they've used it as their intro song for over a year.

as for winter? no, you can't buy it as a single or on an album, but it was released, in two different forms even.

hey... i'm usually right there with ya on the "hey, nice illogical argument there" :wave: bandwagon... but both of these songs have been officially released on some form of media.

could both of these songs be on a new album? sure... why not. anything is possible. if you told me mercy would be played live and likely for a new release 3 years ago i'd say you were nuts. but, alas, here it is.

so i suppose we could see all of these songs on the new u2 album... left over shit that we're releasing 'cause larry needs a new pair of shoes.

While bored in class I decided to make a mock album of songs that u2 have played or released. I loosely based the song order off the Joshua Tree.

Soon
Winter (Linear Version)
Every Breaking Wave
Boy Falls From the Sky
North Star
Glastonbury
Mercy
?
?
?

I think this has some serious potential. The songs in this order, I believe, seem to flow nicely. Now, all we need is some news.

yea... but can you buy it if you really want to? yes, you can. not to mention the fact that they've used it as their intro song for over a year.

as for winter? no, you can't buy it as a single or on an album, but it was released, in two different forms even.

hey... i'm usually right there with ya on the "hey, nice illogical argument there" :wave: bandwagon... but both of these songs have been officially released on some form of media.

could both of these songs be on a new album? sure... why not. anything is possible. if you told me mercy would be played live and likely for a new release 3 years ago i'd say you were nuts. but, alas, here it is.

so i suppose we could see all of these songs on the new u2 album... left over shit that we're releasing 'cause larry needs a new pair of shoes.

I think you have to use a pretty unusual version of the word "released" to cover a song that isn't available on CD, MP3, or even cassette.

I can only listen to either of them in my car by kinda sorta breaking the law. I don't consider that "released."

I also don't consider Womanfish released.

It's amazing to see adults in their 30s behave like children, on an internet message board no less.

I'm wondering how YouTube has affected how I'll hear this album. All these new songs are grouped into an album in my brain called "New U2", and honestly I think it'll be strange to hear North Star and not have Every Breaking Wave or Glastonbury on the album (if, for whatever reason, they don't make the cut, that is). There's a part of me that separates songs released independently from an album - Bruce Springsteen's "Working On a Dream" has "The Wrestler" tacked on to the end, and it doesn't sit right with me even though I love both the album and that song.

Re: Audio-Visual Presentation. I believe Flanagan mentions in his book that this is an idea that U2 has been messing around with since Zooropa and the early days of the "Information Superhighway", or internet.

I don't know how the band plans to go about doing it, but the idea is not unheard of. If you have a Smart Phone or semi-recent iPod, you have video playing capabilities. There are a lot of hip-hop acts who have released albums and cut a video for every song. A lot of these hip-hop artists slap them on as a bonus disc to the deluxe editions of their albums, this way you can have a music video for every song on the record. In most cases, it's a way to get an audience to buy the same album twice - you bought 50 Cent's "The Massacre", and now you can buy it for all the videos (uncensored, of course), and one or two new singles that have been slapped on to the album as a way to get you to buy the deluxe edition.

That being said, a band as creative as U2 could seriously expand their artwork through this medium. Kanye West has shot a 40 minute film for a single on his upcoming record. U2, for example, could weave all of their songs into a narrative and have that narrative play out on the screen of your cell-phone, iPod, or laptop as you're listening to the song.

Is this a good idea or bad idea? I don't know. On the one hand, it'd be cool to see the visuals associated with the songs and it would be interesting to see how artsy they could get with it (Moment of Surrender, for example, would make a fantastic video if done correctly.) That being said, you could lose some of the song's ability to be interpreted different ways (see: last thread's Achtung Baby debate.). Also, visuals can often make the music secondary. I listen to U2 because their music moves me, it hits me emotionally. It's not background music while I'm sitting in traffic or watching a film.

Re: Third Version of Winter. In the Rolling Stone cover article that accompanied NLOTH, Eno mentions that he thinks U2 is "bonkers" to leave a song called "Winter" off of the album. The writer of the article describes a lyric that goes "Listening to the silence, the deaf and dumb roar of white noise/Your voice," before the choral section kicks in. Neither version we have available end with that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom