PLEBAn Girls (and Guys) Party - Hotter than a mad Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sami, I'm just finishing my honours BA, in the clinical psych division, which means I can apply for grad school now in any psych department.

Sarah took psych/antropology/sociology last year, and I know from the crap she was taught that I know more about the subject than her teacher...she was taught many erroneous things. :| Actually, from hearing me talk about it for the past 5 years, and from reading my texts, she knew a lot more than her teacher.

Back :wave:

Sami, I wish I could take psychology. For seniors, it used to be we could choose a history class as an elective if we wanted for senior year and one of the history classes you could take was psychology/sociology. I really wanted to take that. But starting with last year's seniors, they required that they take US History 2 senior year unless you had taken AP History as a junior. So they got rid of the history electives. I love US History, but I really wanted to take psychology/sociology. :madspit:

VP,here's Disc 1 of the 12/31/89 show. I'm uploading Disc 2 now.

http://s46.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0KUAP14KN0X1X2VMVHTNC7NFFV

daygloeyes2 said:
Back :wave:

Sami, I wish I could take psychology. For seniors, it used to be we could choose a history class as an elective if we wanted for senior year and one of the history classes you could take was psychology/sociology. I really wanted to take that. But starting with last year's seniors, they required that they take US History 2 senior year unless you had taken AP History as a junior. So they got rid of the history electives. I love US History, but I really wanted to take psychology/sociology. :madspit:

VP,here's Disc 1 of the 12/31/89 show. I'm uploading Disc 2 now.

http://s46.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0KUAP14KN0X1X2VMVHTNC7NFFV

Thanks. :hug:

Sucks that you couldn't take it. :( Sarah is staying in high school for an extra year specifically for that reason - with all the requirements she has for her gifted program, she wasn't able to fit in all the courses she wanted to take, so she's staying.

Up till a few years ago, you could either graduate from grade 12 or 13, with 12 being for those off to work or community college, and 13 for those headed to university. Now it only goes up to 12 for both. However, kids can stay as long as they want and keep taking courses...so that's what she's doing.

And I think part of it is that she's not all that anxious to leave mommy and go off to university. :shh: :lol:

Which is actually cool, cause I don't want her to leave. :sad:

We're so close, we're freakin' pathetic. :lol:

VintagePunk said:
Sami, I'm just finishing my honours BA, in the clinical psych division, which means I can apply for grad school now in any psych department.

Sarah took psych/antropology/sociology last year, and I know from the crap she was taught that I know more about the subject than her teacher...she was taught many erroneous things. :| Actually, from hearing me talk about it for the past 5 years, and from reading my texts, she knew a lot more than her teacher.

oh I see :wink: congrats though!

I have to write a journal entry/short essay about behavior- does someones behavior come from nature or nurture (environment). the question is "is it nature or nurture?" I put both :shrug: I really have no idea what I'm talking about though, it's only our third day in the class!! :lol:

DG- I guess our schools are different because we can take regular psych/sociology whenever we want. my friend took it last year, but AP Psych is a different class and much harder to get into. I'm in 11th grade and I'm taking AP U.S. History and AP Psych this year. :ohmy:

VintagePunk said:

And I think part of it is that she's not all that anxious to leave mommy and go off to university. :shh: :lol:

that's great that you're so close. I wish I had that kind of relationship with my mom!
I can't wait to leave and go to college (not because of her, just because I want to move back up north :lol: )

VintagePunk said:

Thanks. :hug:

Sucks that you couldn't take it. :( Sarah is staying in high school for an extra year specifically for that reason - with all the requirements she has for her gifted program, she wasn't able to fit in all the courses she wanted to take, so she's staying.

Up till a few years ago, you could either graduate from grade 12 or 13, with 12 being for those off to work or community college, and 13 for those headed to university. Now it only goes up to 12 for both. However, kids can stay as long as they want and keep taking courses...so that's what she's doing.

Awww it's great that you're close. :hug:

Sami, AP Psych and AP History? :ohmy:

Yeah, I'm feeling better TRE, thanks for asking. :)

daygloeyes2 said:

Awww it's great that you're close. :hug:

Sami, AP Psych and AP History? :ohmy:

Yeah, I'm feeling better TRE, thanks for asking. :)

yeah, and AP Environmental Science (which is a joke though, with the best teacher in the world!)

well I had a really really great history teacher who we were all really close with last year, and he is the one who recommends people for AP classes. everyone wanted Psych, so I applied because it's supposed to be a really good class (great teacher) and then my teacher told me that he wanted me to take the AP U.S. too because he said I could handle it. So I did. and so far I'm doing ok, but it's only the third day! :lol: You can't drop an AP class, so I told him if I do bad he's helping me! :laugh:

sami0201 said:

oh I see :wink: congrats though!

I have to write a journal entry/short essay about behavior- does someones behavior come from nature or nurture (environment). the question is "is it nature or nurture?" I put both :shrug: I really have no idea what I'm talking about though, it's only our third day in the class!! :lol:

DG- I guess our schools are different because we can take regular psych/sociology whenever we want. my friend took it last year, but AP Psych is a different class and much harder to get into. I'm in 11th grade and I'm taking AP U.S. History and AP Psych this year. :ohmy:

That's been a huge debate in the field for years, so if they try to tell you it's been decided definitively (which is what they did for several issues in Sarah's class), they're lying.

However, the current thinking leans more toward "nature," and the evidence that backs this up is the plethora of twin studies that have been done. They have found amazing similarities in both twins that live together, as well as twins who have been raised apart since birth.

But nurture certainly has a role, too. The extent is really hard to say, though.

VintagePunk said:

That's been a huge debate in the field for years, so if they try to tell you it's been decided definitively (which is what they did for several issues in Sarah's class), they're lying.

However, the current thinking leans more toward "nature," and the evidence that backs this up is the plethora of twin studies that have been done. They have found amazing similarities in both twins that live together, as well as twins who have been raised apart since birth.

But nurture certainly has a role, too. The extent is really hard to say, though.

:hmm: thanks for the info! No, the teacher told us that it hasn't been decided and it's a big issue. He gave us these really weird video tapes to watch and they say the same thing.
(have you ever heard of the tape called The Standard Deviants Present Psychology? it's crazy!!)

sami0201 said:

:hmm: thanks for the info! No, the teacher told us that it hasn't been decided and it's a big issue. He gave us these really weird video tapes to watch and they say the same thing.
(have you ever heard of the tape called The Standard Deviants Present Psychology? it's crazy!!)

:lol: No, what's on it?? It's probably a high school level film, but I love the title. :)

Not sure what you've taken in math so far, but Standard Deviants would come from the term standard deviation, denoting a measure up or down from the normal score in a bell curve, used in statistics in the social sciences.

Gotta love geeky psych humour. :lol:

I'm looking for torrents to download from the ZooTV shows. I hate to sound like one of the fans in the tour forum, but they never f:censored:ing changed setlists then!! :lol:

VintagePunk said:

:lol: No, what's on it?? It's probably a high school level film, but I love the title. :)

Not sure what you've taken in math so far, but Standard Deviants would come from the term standard deviation, denoting a measure up or down from the normal score in a bell curve, used in statistics in the social sciences.

Gotta love geeky psych humour. :lol:

:laugh: I'm not sure everything that's on it, we only got a little while into it. But my teacher accurately described it as "Sesame Street on crack". It's like a bunch of professors and students who tell you about psych (about the nature/nurture, the schools of psych, all the famous people, etc) but they dress up as the people and talk in stupid accents and stuff. It's actually pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom