Philadelphia I Friendly, Kind Setlist Watch and Thread Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
knox said:
Ruffian, if he had asked me I would have told him Love And Peace Or Else, that is until I saw how well City Of Blinding Lights worked at Chicago 2. :drool:

yeah, it was great, huh? sorry I didn't meet you during those shows. i just think COBL is such an uplifting opener, and really builds a sense of community...LAPOE is darker, and the flashlight thing reminds me too much of Bullet. But to each his/her own.

Lila64 said:

last night I was flipping channels and caught Saturday Night Live with U2 as guests. Only caught the one song, Beautiful Day. I hope I have that on tape somewhere :hmm:

That was listed to come on in my area today. Was all set to tape it again since my original was accidentally taped over. It didn't come on however:madspit:

Hi :wave: set list watchers. Great party!!!
Now I'll have to catch up again:wink:

namkcuR said:

I hope Bono gets his way - LAPOE is a better opener...those bass notes right after the 'Everyone' voice are sinister...I bet it'll be even more sinister in person...if they open with it at MSG a week from tonight when I'm there.

i disagree, i just think COBL is the perfect opening song

the long intro, the confetti, its uplifiting, the great light show...and then a rocking vertigo right after it....its perfect

SETLIST

* COBL
* VERTIGO
* ELEVATION
* ELECTRIC CO // SEND IN THE CLOWNS // I CAN SEE FOR MILES
* AN CAT DUBH
* INTO THE HEART
* BEAUTIFUL DAY
* MIRACLE DRUG
* SYCMIOYO
* LPOE
* SBS
* BTBS // JOHNNY [SNIPPET] // HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA // JOHNNY [SNIPPETx2]
* RTSS DEDICATED TO THE US MILITARY

This isn't about tonight's show, but I just lisened to a boot of OOTS from one of the most recent pre-Chicago shows and I thought it was just stunning. I mean, it's perfect. Just the keyboard, acoustic guitar, and Bono, and it is GORGEOUS. Much closer to the IPod ceremony version than the Brooklyn Bridge version, and it was the right choice imo. The electric guitar just didn't work. They should have recorded it like this for the album :drool:

knox said:
Ruffian, if he had asked me I would have told him Love And Peace Or Else, that is until I saw how well City Of Blinding Lights worked at Chicago 2. :drool:

I love COBL but I've always thought LAPOE was the better opener. At first I thought maybe it was because it was the opener at the first show I saw (Anaheim 1) but I think it just has so much more energy. To each his own I guess.

knox said:

Good thought, yes.

To tell you the truth, I didn't realize they hadn't played New Year's Day until I checked the setlist after that show.

Still, it's an Adam showcase, so I'd hate to se it dropped permanantly...

Don't worry it's coming. They seem to be sticking to the 23 song setlist so for them to add UTEOTW and WOWY something had to be dropped but I like NYD, but I could live with it not being played 1 out of 4 shows.

ruffian said:

i thought my ears were burnin' :wink:

knox, the quick story is that i met hamish at the show and chatted with him, then ran into him in a bar later that night and he asked what i thought of the show, then asked which song i liked better for the opener: COBL or LAPOE. I told him COBL and the reasons for that, and he said Bono was the holdout for wanting LAPOE...and that they were going to have a meeting tomorrow and he was going to quote me because he said he liked the way I'd argued the opinion. I saw him the next day again, we chatted some more, and he said he did quote me...but certainly didn't say my opinion changed the band's mind...I would find that very hard to believe. Hamish knew I'd been to a lot of shows this tour and I think just wanted a fan opinion...

and hey Lila! :wave:

:wave: again at ruff!:sad: :hug: again to you...

cool story...i am sure that it did..tho

Chizip said:

i disagree, i just think COBL is the perfect opening song

the long intro, the confetti, its uplifiting, the great light show...and then a rocking vertigo right after it....its perfect

I think the intro to LAPOE is damn good itself. It's pretty long, with the bassline gradually coming in and getting louder and louder and that weird high-pitched singing(or is that an instrument) in the background before Bono finally comes in...:drool:

Lila64 said:
Trish - I'm figuring ruffian has the "in" we need - kidnap her and take her with us to the LA shows in the fall :wink:

Nooooo...she has to come to Toronto in the fall!!!

*gets into pushing and shoving match for a Ruffian visit*

:lol:

I have dibs. *calling dibs* :D

knox said:

Have you seen the show yet?

I definitely prefere Love And Peace in the audio bootlegs, but the production for COBL makes it the clear choice for the opener on the DVD, in my opinion.

I completely agree. I wanted LAPOE to open in Chicago 2 or 3, but COBL worked perfectly. The intro, the confetti and Bono seemingly coming out of nowhere at the tip of the ellipse is just awesome. Love and Peace works much better as part of the "war set."

knox said:
When is that stupid man going to stop dedicating a song about drug addiction to our soliders? :mad:

Oh come on...he'll dedicate any song to anything...is there a cause in existance to which he hasn't dedicated 'One' yet?

U2Fanatic4ever said:

:wave: again at ruff!:sad: :hug: again to you...

cool story...i am sure that it did..tho

I saw you and said hi when I came in Amy! didn't want you to think i'm ignoring you :hug: well, if Bono is that impressionable i need to take more advantage than swaying him where a setlist is concerned :wink:

namkcuR said:
This isn't about tonight's show, but I just lisened to a boot of OOTS from one of the most recent pre-Chicago shows and I thought it was just stunning. I mean, it's perfect. Just the keyboard, acoustic guitar, and Bono, and it is GORGEOUS. Much closer to the IPod ceremony version than the Brooklyn Bridge version, and it was the right choice imo. The electric guitar just didn't work. They should have recorded it like this for the album :drool:

Yeah it sounded excellent at Chicago 3 and I wouldn't mind an older song being dropped for this on a permanent basis. There was no acoustic guitar though, just Edge on paino with Larry and Adam doing their thing.

Ruffian, can I help you take advantage of Bono in Philly next weekend?

Only with regards to the setlist, of course...

:D

VintagePunk said:

Nooooo...she has to come to Toronto in the fall!!!

*gets into pushing and shoving match for a Ruffian visit*

:lol:

I have dibs. *calling dibs* :D

VP no worries. I think you get her first anyway. I have to wait til November and that's IF I can scrounge up a GA for Vegas 1. Anyone? Everyone? :sad:

namkcuR said:

Oh come on...he'll dedicate any song to anything...is there a cause in existance to which he hasn't dedicated 'One' yet?

The Money For Axver Fund.

SETLIST

* COBL
* VERTIGO
* ELEVATION
* ELECTRIC CO // SEND IN THE CLOWNS // I CAN SEE FOR MILES
* AN CAT DUBH
* INTO THE HEART
* BEAUTIFUL DAY
* MIRACLE DRUG
* SYCMIOYO
* LPOE
* SBS
* BTBS // JOHNNY [SNIPPET] // HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA // JOHNNY [SNIPPETx2]
* RTSS // HALLELUJIAH
DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
* PITNOL

ruffian said:

I saw you and said hi when I came in Amy! didn't want you to think i'm ignoring you :hug: well, if Bono is that impressionable i need to take more advantage than swaying him where a setlist is concerned :wink:

oh i missed it..dam thread moving to fast for me to keep up!
naw..didn't think you were ignoring me at all..
Hehehe..hmmm..taking advantage..now I like that idea a lot!:wink: :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom