Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got the new album this past week. After 4 listens, I love it so far. My favorite after the first spin is Quick Escape.

I did notice no Boom at all on the album. Not even in the additional personnel list. Is everything alright? I know he was never an official member, but he was pretty close to it.

I've never been on a PJ forum or came anywhere close to obsessive, but I have all the albums including Lost Dogs, about 6-7 bootlegs (official and pre-official ones), and feel like I kept up with most news items about them.

I have never heard of this "Boom" person before today.

I've never been on a PJ forum or came anywhere close to obsessive, but I have all the albums including Lost Dogs, about 6-7 bootlegs (official and pre-official ones), and feel like I kept up with most news items about them.

I have never heard of this "Boom" person before today.

giphy.gif

https://ultimatepearljam.com/boom-gaspar-pearl-jam/

Official uncensored version of Jeremy video released:

Pearl Jam - Latest News

Today marks both Wear Orange Day and what would have been Breonna Taylor’s 27th birthday. In light of the staggering increase in gun violence since the debut of “Jeremy,” we are releasing the uncensored, full version of the video which was unavailable in 1992 with TV censorship laws. Gun violence is an intersectional issue in America, lend your voice to Breonna Taylor’s birthday campaign here.

Wow, never saw that before. Always wondered, of course. A little bit much for MTV back in '92. Maybe too much for 2020. The kid who played Jeremy nailed it. One of the better performances in a music video.

Yeah the part that was edited out previously is quite disturbing, but it certainly tells the story. Apparently there were folks back in the day who thought the video implied Jeremy shot up the classroom, this version leaves no doubt.

Really? I always thought it was fairly obvious

To me it was, but I knew the story behind the song before the video was made.

But apparently there were quite a few folks who took the image of the kids at the end with their hands up and blood on them to be they were being shot at, not shielding themselves from splattered Jeremy brains. EdVed was not pleased.

https://books.google.com/books?id=z...ge&q=people misinterpret jeremy video&f=false

Mark Pellington: Eddie Vedder wasn't anti-video. He became that way after "Jeremy". It was edited and censored; it was misinterpreted by people who thought Jeremy shot his classmates, and Eddie was really pissed off by that. They were artists, man.

Yeah, I'd heard about what was really happening at the end of that video, too, but comparing this version to the edited one, I can see where some would've been confused. So basically, by censoring it, MTV just wound up adding to the disturbing nature of the video by implying something equally as horrifying happened instead. Good job, censors!

Anywho, yeah, actually seeing that full ending as intended is pretty stark, as is seeing the students going into the Hitler gesture. I forgot how creepy this video was. Sad how relevant the song remains, too.

The kid who played Jeremy nailed it. One of the better performances in a music video.

Agreed.

I remember hearing somewhere, I want to say it was on "Pop-Up Video", that the moment where the kid has the flag wrapped around him was a spur of the moment thing-he'd gotten chilly and used that to keep warm, and the director liked the imagery of it and left it in.

i've seen it dozens of times and always thought based on the original ending that the kids were recoiling in horror and covered in blood because jeremy shot at least one of the kids in the front row. i thought the uncensored version meant that we'd see him shooting at them, not himself, literally until the point he stuck the gun in his mouth.

:shrug:

. The kid who played Jeremy nailed it. One of the better performances in a music video.

Agreed.

I remember hearing somewhere, I want to say it was on "Pop-Up Video", that the moment where the kid has the flag wrapped around him was a spur of the moment thing-he'd gotten chilly and used that to keep warm, and the director liked the imagery of it and left it in.

Sadly that kid (young man at the time) drowned a few years back.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...arl-jam-jeremy-video-star-trevor-wilson-death

, as is seeing the students going into the Hitler gesture. .

Today's history lesson:

They weren't doing a nazi salute, they were doing a Bellamy Salute which is how Americans saluted during the Pledge of Allegiance up until WWII, It was changed to hand over heart when the Nazi's and Fascists co-opted a salute similar to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute

The Bellamy salute is a palm-out salute described by Francis Bellamy, the author of the American Pledge of Allegiance, as the gesture which was to accompany the pledge. During the period when it was used with the Pledge of Allegiance, it was sometimes known as the "flag salute". Both the Pledge and its salute originated in 1892. Later, during the 1920s and 1930s, Italian fascists and Nazi Germans adopted a salute which was very similar, and which was derived from the Roman salute, a gesture that was popularly (albeit erroneously) believed to have been used in ancient Rome.[1] This resulted in controversy over the use of the Bellamy salute in the United States. It was officially replaced by the hand-over-heart salute when Congress amended the Flag Code on December 22, 1942.

Getting back to Gigaton, I like every song but the tracks that I think are 5 Star are:

Who Ever Said
Quick Escape
Alright
Seven O'clock
Retrograde

Gigaton is still not grabbing me that much. I like the stretch from Dance Of The Clairvoyants to Seven O'Clock, but the rest sounds mediocre and a bit hit and a bit more miss to me.

I think River Cross is a nice coda. I don't think Buckle Up is trash, but it is my least favorite song on the album. Take the Long Way and Comes and Goes are slightly better.

Just revisited the album as I didn't give it the attention I intended it to. It was sandwiched between two other releases (Dance Gavin Dance & Biffy Clyro) that ended up being my favorites of 2020.

This is a really good late career release. Consistent front to back. Hard to compete with any of their 90's work but still really fantastic. Glad I gave it another spin.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention two important anniversaries today in PJ history:

Ten was released 30 years ago today. That is fuckin' crazy! There aren't enough words to say about this album and the journey it has created. Where were you when it was released? Where was I? Truthfully, I was oblivious to PJ and wouldn't start paying attention to them until Teen Spirit hit MTV and brought more attention to the Seattle Scene. So I became a "fan" in early '92 when Alive and Even Flow were in heavy MTV rotation.

No Code was released 25 years ago today. My favorite PJ album. By the time NC came out, I was fully anticipating its arrival. Albums used to be released on Tuesdays, but I was able to get my hands on the CD the Friday before at my favorite music store. Ahh, the good old days. Giving me the chance to record it on cassette and listen to it in my car all weekend long. A couple of months later, saw them at Randalls Island in NYC. It was my first PJ show. Luckily it was wasn't the night where the ground got muddy. :wink: Where were you?

The Tower Records in Boston always stayed open past midnight for those who wanted to by new releases (I think most of their locations did this), so I was in line for No Code as I had been for Vitalogy and Vs before it.

As if the cool album artwork and its include Polaroid reproductions weren’t enough, I remember that they also handed out custom rubber stamps with the No Code logo.

Like you, I didn’t hear Ten until the next year, and while I enjoyed it well enough, I’m not a fan of the production and it’s my least favorite of the first 4 albums. Some days I even prefer Yield. But I did see them at Lollapalooza #2, and they were one of the best acts of the day. I have vivid memories of their entrance: between sets the festival had been playing the Nothing’s Shocking album by the previous year’s headliner Jane’s Addiction, and Pearl Jam walked out in the middle of “Summertime Rolls”. Instead of having the music turned off, Eddie started accompanying the recorded vocals, and led the crowd in a sing-along of its repeated refrain at the outro. Then the band went straight into their opener Why Go.

Good times.

Back
Top Bottom