Official Cricket Thread Part 302

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, Sydney Thunder demolished Adelaide in the Big Bash. André Russell smashed a massive six right near the end, according to Freddie Flintoff the biggest of the tournament so far but suffice it to say he can be prone to exaggeration. He was off the hook tonight; I hope somebody makes a compilation of his best commentary moments. Between innings he did some crowd catches with Mark Waugh, culminating in him throwing a pie at Junior, who caught it and threw it back, and Freddie tried to catch it in his mouth. :lol:

Also, for those who care and have Foxtel access, there's a replay of NZ vs SL right now - the fourth wicket just fell, but if you're watching on Foxtel Go like I am you can rewind a bit to see some of the earlier events.

South Africa all out for 214. Elgar with an unbeaten century.

Shit he got over half their score! South Africa sure have been posting some low scores of late... will this Test culminate in another epic block-a-thon like in India?

Wish I'd read your post 20 minutes ago, I'd have flicked over. SA/Eng just got back from the tea break. Elgar's century was fantastic, watched him get to 50. Crazily, until his century, de Villiers was the only SA batsman to have gotten a Test half-century in months. They're all horrible out of form. Watching Amla struggle hurts my soul.

But what hurts me more is the fact that England should be four down right now but SA dropped two extremely straightforward catches in the 10 mins before tea. I fear from here they'll reach an unassailable position.

Also, yes, loving the BBL (mostly just because there's something on TV every night haha) but Flintoff has easily been the highlight. He is fucking hilarious, like the new Bumble or something. And he made a pretty ordinary game very entertaining, particularly when he admonished the "support staff" member for dropping a six catch, when it was Pat Cummins :lol:

edit, and the bit with his dad :lol:

de Villiers dropped another catch, it was a regulation first slip catch but he dived for it and fluffed it, but thankfully Morkel had him feathering down the legside two balls later. enthralling..!

Seriously, can Freddie commentate every game? He's got no filter and goes on the most random tangents, like he's the Ross Noble of commentating cricket or something.

And what the fuck is happening to South Africa? I figured they'd get a reasonable distance ahead of England, and instead they're now 261 behind at stumps on day three! It's going to be a block-a-thon fourth innings, you can tell already.

Speaking of block-a-thons, imagine if the Windies could pull one off! I was not expecting an Aussie declaration this morning; I thought Smith would go on for his century and bat long enough so that the likes of Nevill can get time out in the middle.

I was going to watch the BBL match but after the first ball wicket I decided, nah, not having that. :lol:

You should've kept watching just for Freddie - he was barracking hard for Adelaide too!

Holder and Ramdin have offered good resistance today, both getting past fifty. They even brought up a century partnership, but shame Ramdin then got out next ball. Looks like we'll get a fifth day out of this!

I may have spoken prematurely about a fifth day. They're now eight down with Holder dismissed for a gutsy 68. He looked absolutely heartbroken as he walked off the field.

OK folks, let's say it together, the line I'm sure you know so well from a video I post all the time but with a couple of appropriate substitutions:

"You still watching that Boxing Day Test?"

"Yeah but it's nearly over, the Windies are batting. ...Aaaaaand it's over."

If Australia had enforced the follow on and the Windies had put in the same performance, Australia would've been required to chase two. :lol:

Dan Christian just hit one of the biggest sixes you will ever see! He put it onto the roof at the 'Gabba. Even he was stunned.

But he's gone now! This is a classic. Hope Hobart hold on.

Best game of the season. Hobart finally wrested control in the final over and a half, but geez as long as Lynn was out there you thought Brisbane might do it, and even once he fell it seemed there was still a chance but Hobart took wickets at crucial moments, including that amazing runout by Reed from long on. He took two wickets with the last two balls of his last over, then got that runout - I think that ought to be called a hat trick!

Best? Still not quite to the level of Stars against Thunder, given how much came down to the literal last ball.

Sure that Thunder/Stars game came down to the last ball, and there's nothing quite like that in a game, but for overall quality I'd take this one. Incredible hitting, great bowling fightbacks, moments of fielding brilliance (especially that runout by Reed I mentioned), and despite the enormity of the total it legitimately felt like it could go either way - indeed, I felt it was swinging to Brisbane when Lynn reached his century - until the wickets that fell at the end of the second-last over. We know more than 20 runs have been scored in the final over of a Big Bash run chase before, and as long as there was a big hitter at the crease with the required rate below about 3 per ball it seemed Brisbane could still nab the win.

Anyway, both games were great advertisements for the format. Meanwhile, South Africa have heaps of work to do against England but haven't had the worst start, with Elgar and Amla a damn fine partnership to have heading into the last session of the fourth day. Any result could be on the cards, but South Africa's form woes suggest the win is highly unlikely. Could they finally succeed in forcing a draw from a blockathon?

They're going at 5rpo at the moment so I figure they're not too interested in the blockathon anyway, and besides, that last test in India was a special case where South Africa seriously struggled batting against the wicket - and felt that playing as conservatively as possible was likely to give them the best chance at the most preferable result.

Wow check out that South African collapse.

And Afghanistan seem to have got the better of Zimbabwe...

Holy shit Travis Head! Talk about winning from the brink of a capitulation, and hitting 3 sixes off the last over to finish with a T20 hundred.

Wow, that sounds like it was one of the great finishes.

Meanwhile Sri Lanka have kept themselves alive with a remarkable form turnaround to knock off the Black Caps in Nelson.

Yet another thriller in the BBL tonight. Thunder seemingly coming home, Andre Russell hits a massive six, then gets out to a great catch, shortly after Hussey skies one and an even better catch is taken, then Hartley gets a diamond duck from a Dan Christian rocket throw next ball, with Paine taking a screamer off an edge to make it a hat trick. Exciting stuff.

The end of tonight's game is turning into a thriller! Looked like the Thunder would do it until Huss got out, and now in consecutive balls they've copped a diamond duck with an amazing direct hit runout and then a golden duck with a screamer of a catch by Paine. Hobart are right back in it. They need to take only two wickets, but the Thunder have an achievable target of 21 off 12. Exciting stuff.

A minute late there. :wink:

Wow those posts were eerily similar. :laugh:

I wanted Hobart to win - in fact, since I have no basis on which to choose between the two Melbourne teams I'm finding Hobart are starting to have a "my team" feel - but I also would've liked a couple of those attempted big hits by the Thunder in the last two overs to have come off just to really take it even closer to the wire. Very enjoyable game to watch.

Missed the last couple of games! Glad the Thunder are finally having some success. Lel at the Renegades getting chased down with ease. Goes to show the vagaries of this format. Reckon they've got the most appealing openers in T20 history and they got smashed by 10 wickets. Would be pretty laughable if neither Melbourne side makes the finals. Still half the group games to go yet though.

Also, what would your XI be for the World T20? Boof is very keen for the Aussies to take Lyon over Hogg (who had a shitful tournament last time anyway). I'll have a stab:

A. Finch (c)
D. Warner
M. Klinger
C. Lynn
G. Bailey
G. Maxwell
B. Haddin (+)
J. Faulkner
C. McKay
M. Starc
N. Lyon
C. Boyce (12th)

That's a fucking strong team. The top five are all in form, you can't leave Maxi out, Haddin pretty much picks himself at the moment, Faulkner gives you plenty as the all-rounder, McKay knows his place and is performing well and Starc and Lyon are just both that good that even without a heap of T20 gametime you'd be fucking stupid not to pick them.

Back
Top Bottom