Scariest U2 Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SayGoodbye

Babyface
I appreciate it when a song can really spook me, like a good horror film. U2 aren't particularly known as a "scary" band, as it's not typically what they aim for, but occasionally they do take you to those places. So I was wondering - which U2 song(s) do you all consider to be the scariest?

In general, I think U2's most unnerving music/lyrics comes from Boy. At the center of this is "An Cat Dubh". A dissonant, cycling guitar riff with bizarre guitar screeches and wails weaving around it create a warped 3 a.m. vibe. Bono's lyrics are kept vague enough to make it all even more unsettling. There's also that creepy chime/glockenspiel that plays right before he sings "she cat".

What say you?

I remember the first time I heard "Your Song Saved My Life". Scared the living shit out of me.

Twilight and Exit are both great calls. The former has a strong contender for my favourite guitar break from Edge.

If I was "the future", I'd be pretty frightened by Get On Your Boots giving me a big kiss.

Two more:
Wake Up Dead Man
Bullet The Blue Sky

An Cat Dubh is a great take and a personal favourite.

I agree that none of their songs are "scary," but I'll add Cedars Of Lebanon to this list. It's got a very haunting sound, and there's an unease building throughout.

I remember the first time I heard "Your Song Saved My Life". Scared the living shit out of me.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
"I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy" Tonight. I was scared upon hearing it because I realized that the band I'd appreciated for so many years actually had horrible taste.

Tomorrow, both the opening sequence and the subject matter, has always struck me as slightly eerie.

We are not including Passengers' songs I imagine, because if so, there are some contenders. Albeit, scary is a little tricky to define, so maybe I am stretching the definition, but these came to mind:..

I'd say United Colours has an eeriness to it, though I love it. The way it builds, that baseline, the horns, oh my.

There's something about Ito Okashi and One Minute Warning too that I find haunting, the former more evocative and still, while the latter more sinister and fast.

Plot 180 is kind of intense too.

Man, this album is so good.

We are not including Passengers' songs I imagine, because if so, there are some contenders. Albeit, scary is a little tricky to define, so maybe I am stretching the definition, but these came to mind:..

I'd say United Colours has an eeriness to it, though I love it. The way it builds, that baseline, the horns, oh my.

There's something about Ito Okashi and One Minute Warning too that I find haunting, the former more evocative and still, while the latter more sinister and fast.

Plot 180 is kind of intense too.

Man, this album is so good.
Yeah, great call on the Passengers stuff. Might be an unpopular take, but I think it might well be their second-best 90s album (after the obvious one) and probably better than any of their albums that came after it. Ito Okashi is wonderful, and definitely haunting.

Back
Top Bottom