NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I got from Bono's recent interview for Walland Tribune, I think they may be considering giving a chance to the work they started with Rubin and leaving Songs of Ascent for a while, as they don't feel its songs are commercial enough, this movement could give them some air to continue with their more experimental work later on, but I don't think they will make us wait for 4 years for the new album, I don't feel that's a choice right now with all the money they've spent in the claw and all the controversy about their career.

Radio play update in the U.S. for Crazy Tonight:

Adult Rock: Up from 3 to 2 and still gaining plays; now on all 30 monitored stations

Alternative: Down to 33 with a slight drop in spins, although still shown on 42 monitored stations

Hot AC: Up to 25, but plays have stopped increasing. However, it is now on 50 monitored stations

Rock: Up from 27 to 24 and still rising

Fuse: Up from 26 to 24 after taking a big fall last week (from #4)

VH1: Down from 29 to 36

MTV2: Up from 61 to 9 this week

Debuted at #48 on World Top 100 Singles Chart

Debuted at #34 on Europe Top 100 Singles Chart

I think that Crazy Tonight will end up as U2's most played single (so far) from NLOTH, as the tour should keep stations in the tour markets looking to play U2's latest single. I don't think it's going to "cross over" or make a huge splash like BD or Vertigo, unless it's REALLY a slow mover.

When looking through all the Mediabase Top 20 Playlists snapshots, I'm happily surprised to see that Magnificent has had some, relative to U2 singles these days, some modest staying power. However, the song I saw most, outside of Crazy Tonight, was Stand Up Comedy. Not sure if that means anything, as it's been picked up sporadically since NLOTH was released. Just wondering what the 4th single will be, if there is one.

In Belguim Crazy debuts at number 18 in both Flanders and Wallonia. That's higher than Magnificent ever got! :up:

Got my Billboard Magazine today for last Thursday's charts and more...and saw a few surprises, at least to me:

Crazy Tonight rises to #23 on Mainstream Adult Top 40, which is the highest position on a "large" radio format for any of the singles from NLOTH in the U.S.

Crazy Tonight resumes it's rise on the all-inclusive Rock Top 50 chart...gaining a few spots back to #28

Crazy Tonight debuts on the European Hot 100 chart at #19, which tops Magnificent easily...don't recall about GOYB.

Opposite the boxscore page in the front of the magazine, there's a good story titled "Beyond the Horizon" regarding the U2360 tour, the NA dates, it's success, etc. Picture of Soldier Field with the claw and a packed house looked awesome. It's the first feature story I've seen from Billboard regarding U2 since NLOTH was released.

On the next page, called "Billboard's Q&A", more pub for U2 with Paul McGuiness being featured regarding the U2360 success, stage design, and some general state of industry stuff.

Checking in at mediabase today shows Crazy Tonight rising on Adult Top 40, Adult Rock, and Rock formats...while it may have peaked on Alternative. It was a little surprising to me to see the song even make it onto Alternative Radio, so making it into the Top 30 on that format was really just a bonus IMHO. Maybe, just maybe, U2 will play a flawless version of Crazy Tonight on SNL next week, and perhaps downloads will spike enough for Crazy to make it onto Billboard's Hot 100 (that would make 3 singles from NLOTH, and perhaps not as bad as previously thought with respect to single "success" from this album). I realize that none of the current album singles have been huge hits, but CT is getting more airplay than I thought it would, and if the tour/SNL/buzz can get the song propelled into the Top 20, or Top 10, on Adult Top 40 radio, perhaps album sales can be pushed high enough to enjoy the Christmas sales period.

Also, CT rises 12 spots to #44 on the Hot 100 Hits online chart, too. Magnificent drops back to #58 after gaining 4 spots last week.

From what I got from Bono's recent interview for Walland Tribune, I think they may be considering giving a chance to the work they started with Rubin and leaving Songs of Ascent for a while, as they don't feel its songs are commercial enough, this movement could give them some air to continue with their more experimental work later on, but I don't think they will make us wait for 4 years for the new album, I don't feel that's a choice right now with all the money they've spent in the claw and all the controversy about their career.

Ahhh... Beach clip 404... Bring it on! The song is a huge hit just dying to be released to radio.

And Believe thanks for the continuing updates!! I think the SNL appearance could give Crazy another Boost. It needs to be played as the first song of the night. This will be the largest number of people seeing a live U2 performance in I don't know how long. The ratings should be huge for the SNL premiere.

I think the SNL appearance could give Crazy another Boost. It needs to be played as the first song of the night. This will be the largest number of people seeing a live U2 performance in I don't know how long. The ratings should be huge for the SNL premiere.

i'm agree...a good performance at SNL will help the single and the album to have a boost.
See Mrs Withney Houston...she performed on Ophra show and this week her new record is + 99% than last week (from hitsdailydouble.com).
i don't believe the u2 's performance will have this effect, but it is the proof that a TV event is the best promotion for a music artist.

No, dying is the best promotion for a musical artist.

1308_13693639081.jpg

i'm agree...a good performance at SNL will help the single and the album to have a boost.
See Mrs Withney Houston...she performed on Ophra show and this week her new record is + 99% than last week (from hitsdailydouble.com).
i don't believe the u2 's performance will have this effect, but it is the proof that a TV event is the best promotion for a music artist.

hopefully U2 can go on oprah! quick somebody get in touch with PM:wink:

"Death as a career move" has been well documented. MJ is just the latest example. We all remember the "benefits" that death had on the careers of James Dean, the Big Bopper, Buddy Holley, Ritchie Valens, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrisson, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain and Heath Ledger. All of these artists saw a huge spike in sales of their last work (and sometimes their entire catalog). Joplin had her first big hit (#1 actually) upon her death. Ledger's fantastic portrayal of The Joker, coupled with his passing, created the second highest grossing movie ever in the U.S. James Dean and Ledger resumed posthumous award nominations (Ledger won). All of these artists are revered.

With Jackson's death, suddenly many have forgotten the items they disliked about him. It wouldn't surprise me if this movie did well.

Given U2's stance on man items, ranging from the troubles in Ireland, Green Peace, AI, South Africa, MLK, etc., and now Bono's extraordinary efforts on DATA and ONE, I have often feared that something could happen. Couple this with the enormous amount of touring and travel and well... Fortunately, we have been blessed (if you believe in God or a higher power) or the proper precautions have been in place. Either way, I'd rather have U2 with ALL members around than see past albums spike in sales.

Crazy Tonight is now declining on all four radio formats it's on in the US: Triple A, Rock, Hot AC, and Alternative. Looks like it has peaked and may be fading slowly as the tour continues.

And the SNL appearance didn't do much to clear up if Moment of Surrender or Breathe will be the next single...

Neither song did anything on itunes afterwards so if I was U2 I'd choose neither

It's debatable if any NLOTH song would do anything afterwards. However, the album did see a spike. And if that's the goal - to promote the album, not just a song - then I think U2 did a good job.

Although I would have loved to have heard "Crazy" - especially the remix that they do! :hyper: That might - just might - have given that song a boost. But maybe it wasn't right for a small studio setting.

As for a fourth single, given we haven't heard "Stand Up Comedy" at all on tour, I guess that's out (and I thought this would be a single). "Breathe" seems most likely, but a fourth single probably won't do much anyway. Even JT's fourth single, "In God's Country" (in the U.S.) didn't break into the Top 40, and this was during U2's "super" period.

It's debatable if any NLOTH song would do anything afterwards. However, the album did see a spike. And if that's the goal - to promote the album, not just a song - then I think U2 did a good job..

I just think they were probably using it as a testing ground for new singles, maybe that'll mean neither MOS or Breathe will be singles now after they didn't perform afterwards. Might give NLOTH itself a shot at being a single though

Been away for a while...had to take in the U2360 show in Atlanta with my 10-year old daughter. Great concert, great seats, and great crowd around us.

Anyway, Crazy Tonight seems finished as it's faded from all mediabase radio-play charts outside of Adult Rock, where it's still in the Top 10. The video probably exceeded expectations, though, as it's still in the Top 40 on VH1, is up from 6 to 5 on MTV2, and is also still in the Top 40 on Fuse TV.

Crazy is down from 39 to 46 on the Top 100 Hits Online chart, and it's been on the chart for 7 weeks. Magnificent falls off the chart this week, from 99 last week, after 27 weeks on the chart! The song had some staying power even though it was never a big "hit", except for Adult Rock, where it did reach #1.

In the Mediabase weekly update, published Monday, Moment of Surrender is on the "most added songs" chart, and it's officially up 20 spots from 93 to 73 in it's 2nd week on that chart. In looking through the playlist snapshots, though, for Adult Rock across the U.S., Crazy is still on most Top 20 charts of the monitored stations, and Boots, Magnificent, Stand Up Comedy, and MOS also show up randomly. MOS has been added to 9 stations, though, and that looks like more of a radio-release only single than stations just playing random album cuts due to the tour.

Rather than update specific charts around the U.S./world, I'll just check back in if MOS does make a significant move on the U.S. radio charts, or anywhere else, for that matter. The 3 official singles from NLOTH have done very well in France, and in fact, the last time I checked, all 3 songs were still in the French version of the "Billboard Hot 100", with Boots having something like a 38 week run. That was just last week I think.

In summary, looking through the various playlist snapshots on Adult Rock, Adult Top 40, Rock, and even Alternative, it's at least somewhat encouraging to see 5 to 6 songs from NLOTH getting played in the Top 20 in various markets across the country. The tour has obviously resulted in NLOTH getting some modest airplay in certain markets, and without a standout big hit, it looks like local DJ's are just picking out their preference of album cuts to put in their own rotation. I have not heard a radio edit of MOS, but if the song takes off, perhaps there will be an edited version released to U.S. radio that does not butcher the song and is the same for all stations. Or, even better, they just leave the song alone and play it in full. Here are a few interesting playlist snapshots from Mediabase for the week ending October 11:

WRQQ-FM
Nashville (44)
TW ARTIST TITLE Spins) TW LW
1 3 DOORS DOWN It's Not My Time 11 7
2 GREEN DAY 21 Guns 10 13
3 U2 Get On Your Boots 10 6
4 PEARL JAM The Fixer 9 14
5 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Why I Am 9 12
6 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Funny The Way It 9 11
7 KID ROCK All Summer Long 9 5
8 KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody 8 14
9 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... 8 14
10 KINGS OF LEON Notion 8 12
11 SHINEDOWN Second Chance 8 7
12 KINGS OF LEON Sex On Fire 7 5
13 NICKELBACK Gotta Be Somebody 7 5
14 U2 Magnificent 6 5
15 GREEN DAY Know Your Enemy 6 4
16 COLDPLAY Violet Hill 5 7
17 NICKELBACK Rockstar 5 6
18 FOO FIGHTERS The Pretender 5 5
19 FOO FIGHTERS Long Road To Ruin 5 4
20 PHISH Backwards Down The Number Lin 4 17

Seattle (13)
TW ARTIST TITLE (Spins) TW LW
1 INGRID MICHAELSON Maybe 23 23
2 FRAY Heartless 23 13
3 KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody 22 16
4 ADELE Right As Rain 19 13
5 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Meet Me On The 17 18
6 ERIC HUTCHINSON Rock & Roll 17 17
7 JASON MRAZ I'm Yours 16 15
8 BRANDI CARLILE Dreams 15 18
9 MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD Say Hey 14 19
10 IMOGEN HEAP First Train Home 14 17
11 TRAIN Hey, Soul Sister 14 17
12 COUNTING CROWS You Can't Count On M 14 10
13 JOHN MAYER Who Says 14 0
14 FRANZ FERDINAND No You Girls 13 8
15 MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD Hey Worl 12 15
16 GREEN DAY 21 Guns 12 14
17 KILLERS Human 12 11
18 COLBIE CAILLAT Fallin' For You 11 22
19 RAY LAMONTAGNE You Are The Best Thi 11 11
20 U2 Moment Of Surrender 11 8

WZGC-FM
Atlanta (7)
1 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... 32 26
2 WILCO You Never Know 30 31
3 PEARL JAM The Fixer 29 30
4 DAVID GRAY Fugitive 29 27
5 PHISH Backwards Down The Number Lin 21 27
6 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Cath 21 17
7 O.A.R. Shattered (Turn The Car...) 19 20
8 GREEN DAY 21 Guns 19 19
9 GAVIN ROSSDALE Love Remains The Sam 18 14
10 U2 Magnificent 15 14
11 TRAIN Hey, Soul Sister 15 12
12 BLACK CROWES Good Morning Captain 14 14
13 FOO FIGHTERS Wheels 14 8
14 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Meet Me On The 13 9
15 KINGS OF LEON Notion 13 9
16 FRAY How To Save A Life 12 11
17 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Funny The Way It 12 10
18 FRAY You Found Me 12 10
19 THIRD EYE BLIND Don't Believe A Wor 12 10
20 SNOW PATROL Just Say Yes 12 9

Been away for a while...had to take in the U2360 show in Atlanta with my 10-year old daughter. Great concert, great seats, and great crowd around us.

Anyway, Crazy Tonight seems finished as it's faded from all mediabase radio-play charts outside of Adult Rock, where it's still in the Top 10. The video probably exceeded expectations, though, as it's still in the Top 40 on VH1, is up from 6 to 5 on MTV2, and is also still in the Top 40 on Fuse TV.

Crazy is down from 39 to 46 on the Top 100 Hits Online chart, and it's been on the chart for 7 weeks. Magnificent falls off the chart this week, from 99 last week, after 27 weeks on the chart! The song had some staying power even though it was never a big "hit", except for Adult Rock, where it did reach #1.

In the Mediabase weekly update, published Monday, Moment of Surrender is on the "most added songs" chart, and it's officially up 20 spots from 93 to 73 in it's 2nd week on that chart. In looking through the playlist snapshots, though, for Adult Rock across the U.S., Crazy is still on most Top 20 charts of the monitored stations, and Boots, Magnificent, Stand Up Comedy, and MOS also show up randomly. MOS has been added to 9 stations, though, and that looks like more of a radio-release only single than stations just playing random album cuts due to the tour.

Rather than update specific charts around the U.S./world, I'll just check back in if MOS does make a significant move on the U.S. radio charts, or anywhere else, for that matter. The 3 official singles from NLOTH have done very well in France, and in fact, the last time I checked, all 3 songs were still in the French version of the "Billboard Hot 100", with Boots having something like a 38 week run. That was just last week I think.

In summary, looking through the various playlist snapshots on Adult Rock, Adult Top 40, Rock, and even Alternative, it's at least somewhat encouraging to see 5 to 6 songs from NLOTH getting played in the Top 20 in various markets across the country. The tour has obviously resulted in NLOTH getting some modest airplay in certain markets, and without a standout big hit, it looks like local DJ's are just picking out their preference of album cuts to put in their own rotation. I have not heard a radio edit of MOS, but if the song takes off, perhaps there will be an edited version released to U.S. radio that does not butcher the song and is the same for all stations. Or, even better, they just leave the song alone and play it in full. Here are a few interesting playlist snapshots from Mediabase for the week ending October 11:

WRQQ-FM
Nashville (44)
TW ARTIST TITLE Spins) TW LW
1 3 DOORS DOWN It's Not My Time 11 7
2 GREEN DAY 21 Guns 10 13
3 U2 Get On Your Boots 10 6
4 PEARL JAM The Fixer 9 14
5 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Why I Am 9 12
6 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Funny The Way It 9 11
7 KID ROCK All Summer Long 9 5
8 KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody 8 14
9 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... 8 14
10 KINGS OF LEON Notion 8 12
11 SHINEDOWN Second Chance 8 7
12 KINGS OF LEON Sex On Fire 7 5
13 NICKELBACK Gotta Be Somebody 7 5
14 U2 Magnificent 6 5
15 GREEN DAY Know Your Enemy 6 4
16 COLDPLAY Violet Hill 5 7
17 NICKELBACK Rockstar 5 6
18 FOO FIGHTERS The Pretender 5 5
19 FOO FIGHTERS Long Road To Ruin 5 4
20 PHISH Backwards Down The Number Lin 4 17

Seattle (13)
1 INGRID MICHAELSON Maybe 23 23
2 FRAY Heartless 23 13
3 KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody 22 16
4 ADELE Right As Rain 19 13
5 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Meet Me On The 17 18
6 ERIC HUTCHINSON Rock & Roll 17 17
7 JASON MRAZ I'm Yours 16 15
8 BRANDI CARLILE Dreams 15 18
9 MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD Say Hey 14 19
10 IMOGEN HEAP First Train Home 14 17
11 TRAIN Hey, Soul Sister 14 17
12 COUNTING CROWS You Can't Count On M 14 10
13 JOHN MAYER Who Says 14 0
14 FRANZ FERDINAND No You Girls 13 8
15 MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD Hey Worl 12 15
16 GREEN DAY 21 Guns 12 14
17 KILLERS Human 12 11
18 COLBIE CAILLAT Fallin' For You 11 22
19 RAY LAMONTAGNE You Are The Best Thi 11 11
20 U2 Moment Of Surrender 11 8

WZGC-FM
Atlanta (7)
1 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... 32 26
2 WILCO You Never Know 30 31
3 PEARL JAM The Fixer 29 30
4 DAVID GRAY Fugitive 29 27
5 PHISH Backwards Down The Number Lin 21 27
6 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Cath 21 17
7 O.A.R. Shattered (Turn The Car...) 19 20
8 GREEN DAY 21 Guns 19 19
9 GAVIN ROSSDALE Love Remains The Sam 18 14
10 U2 Magnificent 15 14
11 TRAIN Hey, Soul Sister 15 12
12 BLACK CROWES Good Morning Captain 14 14
13 FOO FIGHTERS Wheels 14 8
14 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Meet Me On The 13 9
15 KINGS OF LEON Notion 13 9
16 FRAY How To Save A Life 12 11
17 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Funny The Way It 12 10
18 FRAY You Found Me 12 10
19 THIRD EYE BLIND Don't Believe A Wor 12 10
20 SNOW PATROL Just Say Yes 12 9

I think I have already asked this before, but were there any NLOTH songs that made the top 20 of the following Billboard airplay charts?

Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart
Modern Rock Tracks Chart
Adult Top 40 Tracks Chart

Yes

I think I have already asked this before, but were there any NLOTH songs that made the top 20 of the following Billboard airplay charts?

Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart
Modern Rock Tracks Chart
Adult Top 40 Tracks Chart

Boots cracked the Top 10 on Mainstream Rock, hit #1 on Modern Rock (1 week), and I'm not sure about Adult Top 40.

Magnificent made it to #23 on Adult Top 40, and made the Top 40 of the other two charts.

Crazy Tonight made it to #22 on Adult Top 40, and cracked the Top 40 on the other two charts.

All three songs made it to #1 or #2 on Adult Rock (AAA) radio.

Hope that helps.

Boots cracked the Top 10 on Mainstream Rock, hit #1 on Modern Rock (1 week), and I'm not sure about Adult Top 40.

Magnificent made it to #23 on Adult Top 40, and made the Top 40 of the other two charts.

Crazy Tonight made it to #22 on Adult Top 40, and cracked the Top 40 on the other two charts.

All three songs made it to #1 or #2 on Adult Rock (AAA) radio.

Hope that helps.

So Crazy and Magnificent did not make it into the top 20 of either the Modern Rock Chart or the Mainstream Rock chart?

Since none of the songs made the HOT 100 AIRPLAY ONLY CHART, its difficult to determine which song has recieved the most airplay overall in the United States.

So Crazy and Magnificent did not make it into the top 20 of either the Modern Rock Chart or the Mainstream Rock chart?

Since none of the songs made the HOT 100 AIRPLAY ONLY CHART, its difficult to determine which song has recieved the most airplay overall in the United States.

My best guess on that would be Magnificent, as it reached into the 20's on all three charts you referenced in Billboard, plus it had a 9-week run at #1 or #2 on Adult Rock. It also had the longest run by far on the Hot 100 Hits online, so it was streamed, perhaps mostly by choice, more than any other of the songs.

Crazy Tonight has done very well, relative to the other two singles, as a video, if that matters much these days. Still, it was Top 5 on VH1, #1 on FuseTV, and currently sits at #5 on MTV2. Not sure if MTV itself even plays videos these days.

I think Mediabase will publish a year-end chart, by format, and depending on how much detail they go into, we might get a definitive answer to your question.

Posted in another thread...just want to be able to refer back to this if MOS is indeed released as the 4th single

FYI, I have not posted this in the Singles Watch thread yet, but as of today, MOS is up to 9 monitored stations (out of 30) for Adult Rock, and it rises from 78 to 64 in it's 3rd week on the chart. Not sure if there was ever a radio edit released...or if this is just 9 major market radio stations deciding to default to MOS as the 4th single. With the DVD being made at the Rose Bowl, perhaps a video of MOS live would be a very easy way to give a little promo to the song and radio might pick it up...who knows.

In looking at the Top-20 playlists for Adult Rock, Crazy is still in heavy rotation (still in the Top 10, overall, too), and even Magnificent and Boots have surged a bit. Probably due to the tour, but one of the biggest stations in Nashville has Boots (#2), Magnificent, Crazy, and MOS in their Top 20. There are still a few stations out there that appreciate real music!

MOS default 4th single?

Pulse Music Board - U2 - Moment of Surrender

on adult rock radio chart (AAA) moment of surrender rised in top 50 at 48.

Thanks for that...this week's mediabase report does not show anything regarding MOS. However, it is now on some Adult Rock Top 20 playlists, and it may break into the Top 40 on the daily mediabase chart soon.

Crazy Tonight was up 1 spot to #7 in yesterday's report, too. It's actually rising in some major markets...up to #1 in Atlanta again. Magnificent, Boots, and MOS still in the Top 20 in a number of major markets. Perhaps the tour announcements for 2010?

Back
Top Bottom