NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this point I don't like there being a 4th single (especially if it's not Breathe!), let's just move on to EBW!

FWIW, Moment of Surrender rises from #52 to #45 on Triple A/Adult Rock Radio this week. It's now being played on 12 of the 30 stations that are monitored for that format, and has even broken into the Top 10/20 (playlists) in several major markets.

Crazy falls out of the Top 100 Hits online this week after a 3-month run.

I saw that. It can't be a coincidence that 12 different radio stations suddenly started spinning a 7-minute track from a 36-week old album, can it?

I can find nothing that says MOS has been released to radio only, and I don't know if there is an official radio edit out there, or if stations are choosing to make their own edit...or if it is actually getting played in it's entirety.

As of today, MOS has broken into the Top 40 on Adult Rock/Triple A, rising from #45 to #40. Back when the album was first released, I remember 3 or 4 songs being in the Adult Rock Top 40 for one week. However, MOS has been moving up this chart for at least 4 consecutive weeks now, so I don't think it will drop out of the Top 40 next week.

Anyone know if there has been any type of release or promo for MOS?

Doesn't matter. Still matches the incompetence of the marketing team of U2, taking months and months to release a single.
Sometimes I have the sensation that U2 and its marketing team don't notice that this is not the 80's anymore and that the time-between singles, the strategies for first single, among others are not the same anymore and that things changed a lot...

...and that's one of the reasons why U2's singles these days fail to chart or don't last long, neither have good peaks on the charts.

Doesn't matter. Still matches the incompetence of the marketing team of U2, taking months and months to release a single.
Sometimes I have the sensation that U2 and its marketing team don't notice that this is not the 80's anymore and that the time-between singles, the strategies for first single, among others are not the same anymore and that things changed a lot...

...and that's one of the reasons why U2's singles these days fail to chart or don't last long, neither have good peaks on the charts.

ummmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmm

So we got u2 who has made a billion dollars and 25 cents the last 30 years and then we have you

other than the 'sensations' ( is that Spider sense or disturbance in the Force ?) what have you accomplished in the music business?

Sorry, but my money is on the "incompetent" camp :) .

ummmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmm

So we got u2 who has made a billion dollars and 25 cents the last 30 years and then we have you

other than the 'sensations' ( is that Spider sense or disturbance in the Force ?) what have you accomplished in the music business?

Sorry, but my money is on the "incompetent" camp :) .
There's much more in the forms of art validation than the amount of money you make, did you know that?
Are U2 richer than ever? No doubt!
Despite all the big hits and record sales, have U2 gained artistic recognition by the critics and some part of the public? I have many doubts...

Despite all the big hits and record sales, have U2 gained artistic recognition by the critics and some part of the public? I have many doubts...

Well, U2 won 15 grammy awards from February 2001 through February 2006! Over their entire career they have won 22 Grammy awards which is getting close to the most every won by an artist. The top artist for the Grammy awards is a Classical Music composer with 31 grammy wins.

That is definitely significant artist recognition by critics and music artist peers of the band.

If you think that the Grammies says it all... For me it doesn't. And for me, there's much more than what the american market consumes, even though the Grammies try to bring something here and there from the outside, but it's not even close to be representative of what's going on.

HTDAAB won 8 Grammies? Come on! HTDAAB is one of U2's least well accepted albums by the general public (even by fans!).

Plus, U2 never attracted so much negative publicity and criticism as during this decade.

Just to finish, besides that, NLOTH may've had sucess but is it really a sucess? Did the public really pay attention to U2's last album? I don't think so.

did the public pay attention ?

the PUBLIC is generally stupid !!!!!

the PUBLIC is who buys Jonas Bros records and Britney Spears records in bigger numbers than they do u2

who gives a rats ass about the "public"

besides my point was simply taking aim at your comment that their is some "incompetence" in the u2 camp

you are not the biggest and the best because of incompetence

singles shmingles shingles , big effin deal

singles? singles ? you want hit singles

i will take great art and timeless full length albums over singles

three masterpieces in 30 years : Joshua Tree, Achtung and No Line . Nuff said .

HTDAAB is one of U2's least well accepted albums by the general public (even by fans!).

Only if "the general public" and "fans" = the internet U2 fandom.

Plus, U2 never attracted so much negative publicity and criticism as during this decade.

No. They were more hated during Rattle and Hum and Pop era. This time it's more indifference than outright hate.

If you think that the Grammies says it all... For me it doesn't. And for me, there's much more than what the american market consumes, even though the Grammies try to bring something here and there from the outside, but it's not even close to be representative of what's going on.

HTDAAB won 8 Grammies? Come on! HTDAAB is one of U2's least well accepted albums by the general public (even by fans!).

Just to finish, besides that, NLOTH may've had sucess but is it really a sucess? Did the public really pay attention to U2's last album? I don't think so.

are you for real?

There's much more in the forms of art validation than the amount of money you make, did you know that?
Are U2 richer than ever? No doubt!

Well, besides the big hits and record sales, U2 is one of the biggest live acts, (almost) nobody sells more tickets. Furthermore, U2 did gain a lot of artistic recognition by the critics!

About the grammies: 22 is a lot. But I wouldn't count the grammies as THE prove for artistic recognition. It's the music business celebrating itself. Alison Krauss (who?) got 26 of those statues....

I think you're confusing FACTS with your own opinion.

did the public pay attention ?

the PUBLIC is generally stupid !!!!!

the PUBLIC is who buys Jonas Bros records and Britney Spears records in bigger numbers than they do u2

who gives a rats ass about the "public"

besides my point was simply taking aim at your comment that their is some "incompetence" in the u2 camp

you are not the biggest and the best because of incompetence

singles shmingles shingles , big effin deal

singles? singles ? you want hit singles

i will take great art and timeless full length albums over singles

three masterpieces in 30 years : Joshua Tree, Achtung and No Line . Nuff said .

how many times must it be said, this forum is regarding U2 album sales, and hence those of us who post here, WILL care about sales, hit singles etc. theres plenty of other areas of the forum, where you can bitch all you like.

how can anyone say HTDAAB was least well recieved. nearly 2M sales firat week, and nearly 1M in the US first week. there was a huge buzz when the album came out, the brooklyn bridge show, radio 1's day live from hanover quay. I was in university at the time, and nearly every person in halls of residence had the album, (ok mostly downloaded/file-sharing, but thats besides the point) HTDAAB was massivly popular!

2 UK #1 singles for first time ever. biggest first week sales in UK and US, among others im sure.

1st- HTDAAB was very well received by both fans and critics. The fact that they won more Grammies may not mean much to some but it is an indicator, not THE indicator, but A indicator of success. The album had the biggest single week of sales by any U2 album and it went on to go 3x platinum in the US and nearly every other country. Bottom line, HTDAAB was very well received!

2nd- With regard to U2's singles strategy, they were very successful in the past with the way the released both singles and albums. There is no disputing U2's overall success in this area. NLOTH was released in a different time/market and U2, like any entity or company, needs to adjust for the new market. Maiol and many others will/have covered the many changes since 2004, 2001, 1997, 1991, 1987, ect... that go into this. So, while U2 have been very successful, AYGO is correct in that they need to change their "singles" strategy. Now, NLOTH was successful to an extent in that it is one of the best selling albums released in 2009 but it should have/could have done better. My opinion is that todays "instant hit" mentality dictates that Magnificent or Breathe should have been released 1st. If this were the 90's when radio would play songs for months at a time, regardless if people didnt respond right away, then Boots would have been fine but its not. Radio is in competition with satellite radio, iPods, the internet, ect... and they need to play songs that are instant hits (thats my opinion not a fact based on some study).

3rd-U2 has in fact adapted its marketing over the years and I must say, I am impressed. They released an iPod and all of their songs on iTunes, essentially introducing a whole new generation to their music. Then they do a commercial for Apple, which was HUGE and clearly helped get Vertigo out into the publics mind. Their new marketing continued with NLOTH when they did a full week on Letterman (they also did a full week on Conan O'brian with HTDAAB) and they also did another commercial with Blackberry. Then they make a deal with YouTube and broadcast an entire concert live over the internet, which was AMAZING.

Bottom line- While U2's single "strategy" might need tweeking, their marketing has been brilliant. They have taken advantage of new technology (iPods, iTunes, YouTube, ect...) and have reached millions of people that would have otherwise ignored them.

I think the YouTube broadcast was the single best publicity step U2 could have taken in marketing NLOTH.

AYGO is correct in that they need to change their "singles" strategy

Picking a GOOD first single would help.

I think the YouTube broadcast was the single best publicity step U2 could have taken in marketing NLOTH.

Although I think it was a brilliant move and created a ton of traffic and good publicity for the band, i really doubt that it resulted in a lot more record sales. We didn't see any noticeable jump in NLOTH sales after the concert as far as I know, even though their youtube page got roughly 9 million hits in the wake of it. NLOTH sales didn't take off because of the lack of a successful single, plain and simple.

I'm convinced it just wasn't a very radio friendly album, but ultimately GOYB just was not a good choice for the first single and it poisoned the success of the others. I honestly think Moment of Surrender would have been a good choice (Eno's right again... surprise, surprise) because it's melodic and clearly signals a new direction. Magnificent would have also been a much bigger hit had it been the first single I think - it's clearly the most beloved song on NLOTH. In an age where short, snappy, poppy songs are dominating the charts, U2 just wasn't going in that direction. Many mainstream publications (Rolling Stone, Q, USA Today, People, Entertainment Weekely, Blender, etc) realized the brilliance of this album. Sadly, many did not (including the Grammys) so NLOTH will not go down as one U2's biggest - but it may go down as one of their best among U2's true fans. I still find it pretty amazing that it's like the #2 or #3 selling album of the year with no truly big single.

am diapointed with lack of grammy nominations. unlikely they will get any wins. bit of a let down in that respect from the last 2 albums - can only assume it will spur U2 on to greater things. They have acknolegded that they missed the big hit singles this time, so fingers crossed for the next release.

A lot of grammy stuff is politics (though not all). There's a feeling that U2 have already been very well rewarded on the Grammy front. The records merit is only part of the equation.

How may grammy's U2 get nominated for depends in part on how hard interscope is prepared to lobby for those nominations. Since a lot of interscopes potential income from U2 will go to LiveNation in the future - you can bet interscope isn't quite as bothered.

Also I think they regard the album as almost dead and that a bunch of grammy noms wouldn't do all that much for the overall sales total this time.

Although I think it was a brilliant move and created a ton of traffic and good publicity for the band, i really doubt that it resulted in a lot more record sales. We didn't see any noticeable jump in NLOTH sales after the concert as far as I know, even though their youtube page got roughly 9 million hits in the wake of it. NLOTH sales didn't take off because of the lack of a successful single, plain and simple.

I'm convinced it just wasn't a very radio friendly album, but ultimately GOYB just was not a good choice for the first single and it poisoned the success of the others. I honestly think Moment of Surrender would have been a good choice (Eno's right again... surprise, surprise) because it's melodic and clearly signals a new direction. Magnificent would have also been a much bigger hit had it been the first single I think - it's clearly the most beloved song on NLOTH. In an age where short, snappy, poppy songs are dominating the charts, U2 just wasn't going in that direction. Many mainstream publications (Rolling Stone, Q, USA Today, People, Entertainment Weekely, Blender, etc) realized the brilliance of this album. Sadly, many did not (including the Grammys) so NLOTH will not go down as one U2's biggest - but it may go down as one of their best among U2's true fans. I still find it pretty amazing that it's like the #2 or #3 selling album of the year with no truly big single.

Magnificent I think is the kind of song that would work in 2000 and 2004, the big single with that classic U2 sound/feel. I'm not convinced it would do anything in 2009 - it was a second single which shouldn't be too late (see: Stuck with ATYCLB).

I agree MOS should have been a single...though anything but the first one.

so NLOTH will not go down as one U2's biggest - but it may go down as one of their best among U2's true fans.
I have the same feeling. It might be the new Pop. Interference generally likes it but the general public sees it as one of their worst albums.

I have the same feeling. It might be the new Pop. Interference generally likes it but the general public sees it as one of their worst albums.

Yeah, but that´s only due to the lack of hits this time around. The vast majority of the general public DO NOT listen to albums in their entirety but knows just a couple of songs, which songs? The hits promoted by radio.
For example, from ATYCLB, the casual listener knows Beautiful day, Elevation and Stuck. For them, that´s what ATYCLB is all about. Same case with the bomb: Vertigo, ABOY and COBL. In fact, it´s all about the success of the lead single. If U2 had released Magnificent instead of GOYB as first single off NLOTH, I think the story would have been completely different.
We would be seeing sales in the range of 5 M and everyone raving about how great the new album is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom