New Eze Clips DISCUSSION thread only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LMF?

having heard it in person, would you say the song sounded more exciting than it does on the clip?

I think clip 5 has a lot of potential. It is a really good melody and there seems to be lot going on in the background. I think this is one of the the songs that could be a grower (like Lanois talked about, in fact, most of these songs have grown on me an incredible amount since we first got them.) It is a bit more mellow and laid back than the other clips but who says that is a bad thing? As long as it's done in the right way it could be great.

The album could very well benefit from a song like this. What I would like to see is many different styles of music on this album but all having common production and thematic elements that give the album a continuous feel. Everything we have heard so far, including this clip, I think suggests this. Time will tell.

I like Clip 5, it is very laid back like The Playboy Mansion and In a Little While, two of my favorite U2 songs. I think a lot of it is lost in the quality though, that there is a lot more going on that we can't hear.

Despite the poor sound quality, clip 5 is the first one that sounds unfinished to me...some jarring/awkward transitions in there. Some parts of it sound good to me, and others too boring and straining.

i think this clip only shows that the album will be pretty weak as a whole. i'm not sure U2 has it in them anymore.

But do they? Really?

Some people don't like So Cruel. Some don't like Elvis Presley and America. Some don't like One Tree Hill. Some don't like Love Rescue Me. Some don't like the last half of Zooropa. Some don't like Passengers. Some don't like Red Light, & Refugee. Some don't like Is that all? Some don't like Stories for Boys. Some don't like Wild Honey. Some don't like Crumbs from your table. Some don't like Miami. Some don't like Lemon.

Yet some love these songs. Can you imagine trying to please everyone all the time?

But do they? Really?

Most U2 albums do. Come with me, and let's take a trip through U2's history, beginning with...

1983 - War ("Refugee")
1984 - The Unforgettable Fire ("Elvis Presley and America" ...I guess...?)
1987 - The Joshua Tree ("Trip Through Your Wires")
1988 - Rattle & Hum ("When Love Comes to Town")
1991 - Achtung Baby ("Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World")
1993 - Zooropa ("Some Days are Better Than Others" ...I guess...?)
1995 - Passengers ("Elvis Ate America")
1997 - POP ("The Playboy Mansion")
2000 - All That You Can't Leave Behind ("When I Look at the World")*
2004 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb ("A Man and a Woman")
2008 - No Line on the Horizon ("Whatever the hell this song is")

So that concludes our journey. Now, there are a couple of good songs listed above, I just happened to pick the ones that mostly fit the bill... and left out U2's first two releases because "Boy" is doing its own thing and I love it for that, and haven't listened to "October" in a looooong while. Hope you enjoyed the ride!

*nah, just kidding. it's "Wild Honey" :p

just a random thought, it would be funny if U2 actually had a song named "Beach Clip" on the new album.

Most U2 albums do. Come with me, and let's take a trip through U2's history, beginning with...

1983 - War ("Refugee")

So that concludes our journey. Now, there are a couple of good songs listed above, I just happened to pick the ones that mostly fit the bill... and left out U2's first two releases because "Boy" is doing its own thing and I love it for that, and haven't listened to "October" in a looooong while. Hope you enjoyed the ride!

Yeah, see I don't know too many fans who like any or all of those songs around here. EPAA and SDABTO are the only ones I remotely care about, although as your question marks indicate, you're not even too sure of the position you put them in. What I'm seeing a pattern of is throwaway songs that have been included to differ the balance and flow of the albums, perhaps intended to make things interesting, but the songs themselves are usually unsuccessful and tend to belong more in b-side format.

Although I don't actually care about any of this, just saying.

1983 - War ("Refugee")

I think that about 5 of those are among the highlights of their respective albums. :sigh: I guess I enjoy watching the band go through different musical detours.

i hope i am wrong, but the 5th clip is vaugely reminiscent of Window in the Skies...well, it seems like they haven't really abondoned the cheese pop

This song sounds a lot like Radiohead's House Of Cards to me, or at least it'll fill that slot on the record. It sounds smooth, relaxed...but it's not nearly as good as the others.

Not listening to beach clips and then trying to make others feel like they made the wrong/bad choice by listening to them sounds like a virgin preaching to his/her peers. And it really just comes off as bitterness/jealousy at missing out (whether or not this is the case). "You should have waited til marriage/til the album came out!"

I hope that wasn't aimed at me because you posted soon after I threw out my option #4. I never went after people who are listening to them; maybe that was somebody else. I just wanted to clarify that I wanted to hear the album as I did like the first time I heard Zooropa, which was around 2001 when I was really discovering them. So that moment of rediscovery is as fresh as possible. I like reading what so many people have written and I respect pretty much everyone's decision around here how they want to experience the months leading up to the album, even though I'm missing out on the 'fun' of talking, adding to that side of the conversation. However, I think if the band starts officially releasing material before the album hits the stores, i.e. when R.E.M. had their 90 days/night website for 'Accelerate' where they led you behind the scenes, then the intent of the artists is intentionally wanting the listener to hear what the album is about early. That would make me change my mind about maybe hearing these clips early.

Some people don't like So Cruel. Some don't like Elvis Presley and America. Some don't like One Tree Hill. Some don't like Love Rescue Me. Some don't like the last half of Zooropa. Some don't like Passengers. Some don't like Red Light, & Refugee. Some don't like Is that all? Some don't like Stories for Boys. Some don't like Wild Honey. Some don't like Crumbs from your table. Some don't like Miami. Some don't like Lemon.

Yet some love these songs. Can you imagine trying to please everyone all the time?

So true. It will never happen!

Listening to the 5th clip it sounds like the second line is "and i will see you on the other side"

anyone else make out anything else?

LMF?

having heard it in person, would you say the song sounded more exciting than it does on the clip?
Ehm, hard to recall. Not really I think. But to fuel the speculations: Bono was jamming on his accoustic guitar after he played the clips, so some songs might still be in the songwriting process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom