Mlb 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are a month away, with significant outbreaks in states that host what, at least 5 teams (if you don't count California)? With a bunch of players testing positive. I know they will do everything they can to get it started, but I think the odds are much lower than 90%.

One thing I've learned over the years:

Just because something is stupid, doesn't mean it won't be done.

Well, this season they're doing it just so the pitcher doesn't get "overtaxed" having to bat and/or run the bases. I've never liked seeing the pitcher hit, but that could return in 2021.
I hate American league baseball - and it seems like adding a DH in at a time where they're trying to speed the game up seems a little counterproductive.

Seems like NL fans will miss all that strategy involved in pinch hitting for the pitcher.

Seems like NL fans will miss all that strategy involved in pinch hitting for the pitcher.

i feel now like i'll miss the pitcher hitting at first (shout out to closer brett myers taking CC sabathia to 19 pitches in game 2 of the 2008 NLDS), and the strategy of how to use that 9 spot later in games, but after a season or two of NL teams using the DH everyone will be so adjusted to it that it'll be no going back.

I hate American league baseball - and it seems like adding a DH in at a time where they're trying to speed the game up seems a little counterproductive.

After this season, if they discontinued interleague play, I'd have no problem with MLB bringing back the pitcher batting if they didn't face any AL teams. But, naturally being an AL fan, I'd want the DH used for every game in the World Series. :wink:

I'm happy baseball is returning. Haven't really watched or listened to sports shows because there's no sports to talk about. Kinda depressing. But, old sports stuff is ok to watch. Like, obviously, the ESPN docuseries were good. The season will have a large asterisk next to it, but fuck it, I need fucking baseball. The weather is warm. There should be a game on somewhere. One more month.

With every passing day, it seems more and more evident that there shouldn't be any sports going on in this country. Sigh. And I'm looking forward as much as anyone to see some baseball.

Still think you can get by with basketball, but I’m not sure it’s possible that any other sport can keep seals that tight.

The non bubble leagues are problematic. It's worked well in european soccer - but europe mostly has their shit together.

NASCAR has made it work - but they're a different beast.

The one thing I leave open for MLB is that they've stated that they will move a team to other markets if needs be. Time will tell if they do - but you'd think the florida and texas teams will have to be moved. Probably the diamondbacks as well.

The bubble leagues - nba, nhl, mls - should be fine. It's pretty telling that nhl went with all Canadian cities. Vegas was the leader in the clubhouse for a long time.

I don’t see why Florida and Texas poss an issue if you’re actually conducting a proper bubble. Wherever you host this, you’ll need lots of space between people.

For as fucked as those states are, the majority of everyone getting fucked is doing it to themselves. Look at the density of infection in Florida. Miami, the only truly dense area, is only 20% of the cases. The same isn’t true with other outbreaks like in New York, where the city itself suffered most. That pretty much means that in Florida, people aren’t actually avoiding others. In New York, they might’ve been trying but failing to do so.

Of course, athletes aren’t always the brightest, and are prone to breaking rules. So, maybe just exporting all sports to Canada this year would be the wisest decision.

Well MLB has not even been able to get test results within 48 hours so it's going great!

Meanwhile, the video of Tanaka getting hit in the head by Stanton's 112mph line drive is one of the worst things I've seen in sports. Ugh.

Meanwhile, the video of Tanaka getting hit in the head by Stanton's 112mph line drive is one of the worst things I've seen in sports. Ugh.

I was at Fenway in 2000 in the bleachers when Bryce Florie took a liner to the face. You could hear the sound of the impact all the way out in CF. It was stomach turning to say the least.

I can imagine. This stuff is awful.

The ball was in the air for several seconds after hitting his head. I can't imagine how everyone involved managed to continue practice afterwards. As if worrying about getting COVID-19 was not enough.

Why don't you all join me and just watch NPB this year? I have decided to support the Dragons, despite the fact that they suck.

Hello, baseball.

A year or two back Steve Stone (White Sox TV color commentator) predicted that it won't be long before a pitcher dies on the mound from a line drive hit back at his head. And that they'll eventually have to go with protective headgear for all pitchers.

the raptors have been in their bubble in florida for almost two and a half weeks without a single positive test, so it looks like it can be done, at least on a small scale. though i'm still skeptical how well that'll hold up when that expands to a few hundred people instead of a few dozen.

I don’t see why Florida and Texas poss an issue if you’re actually conducting a proper bubble. Wherever you host this, you’ll need lots of space between people.

For as fucked as those states are, the majority of everyone getting fucked is doing it to themselves. Look at the density of infection in Florida. Miami, the only truly dense area, is only 20% of the cases. The same isn’t true with other outbreaks like in New York, where the city itself suffered most. That pretty much means that in Florida, people aren’t actually avoiding others. In New York, they might’ve been trying but failing to do so.

Of course, athletes aren’t always the brightest, and are prone to breaking rules. So, maybe just exporting all sports to Canada this year would be the wisest decision.

The issue with florida and texas is less to do with the locations and more that MLB isn't operating in a bubble. Players go home each night, and the teams are traveling from city to city. There's risk everywhere - but in known hot spots the risk becomes greater.

If it's a true bubble you could be in the infectious disease ward and be fine.

Last edited:
A lot riding on that “if it’s a true bubble”. I think if the last few months have thought us anything it is that people do really stupid things.

I hope it works though. It’s certainly better than the MLB plan.

Sure, but what is without risk? There's risk in ordering take out. There's risk going to the grocery store.

They're following protocols and doing everything they can to minimize risk, and every league is also giving players the option to opt out if, despite the added risk, they still don't feel comfortable.

I don’t understand why any of these athletes are oh so privileged to a point where, despite being presented with the right to refuse work like the rest of us corporate slaves, we have some cultural obligation to stop them from working.

They don’t have to agree to it and that’s fine and understandable.

If they do, they should be locked in a fucking sealed container.

Operating the sports leagues keeps jobs going.

This is a matter of the sensational negative look that running a sports league generates, but let me tell you, we are already doing 100x worse in terms of “return to work” because most companies don’t have the financial capability to test their employees daily and lock them in all-inclusive resorts.

Oh and we all don’t get paid 500k minimum a year to risk our lives.

So, fucking entertain me.

fbfc469c79ebd1ac11ec05374cff830ec3aa051efa51d7025cf4f562d50bc6de.jpg

I don’t understand why any of these athletes are oh so privileged to a point where, despite being presented with the right to refuse work like the rest of us corporate slaves, we have some cultural obligation to stop them from working.

They don’t have to agree to it and that’s fine and understandable.

If they do, they should be locked in a fucking sealed container.

Operating the sports leagues keeps jobs going.

This is a matter of the sensational negative look that running a sports league generates, but let me tell you, we are already doing 100x worse in terms of “return to work” because most companies don’t have the financial capability to test their employees daily and lock them in all-inclusive resorts.

Oh and we all don’t get paid 500k minimum a year to risk our lives.

So, fucking entertain me.
1*8VRAZjV_A45CfS3FTaDdkg.gif

Sure, but what is without risk? There's risk in ordering take out. There's risk going to the grocery store.

They're following protocols and doing everything they can to minimize risk, and every league is also giving players the option to opt out if, despite the added risk, they still don't feel comfortable.

In baseball at least those who opt out only get paid in case they are themselves vulnerable. Most of the guys opting out are foregoing pay.

I know there are risks everywhere. Going to the grocery store is necessary. Playing sports isn’t. At least in the current situation. The failure of the US government to mount a proper response made it a no-no.

In baseball at least those who opt out only get paid in case they are themselves vulnerable. Most of the guys opting out are foregoing pay.

I know there are risks everywhere. Going to the grocery store is necessary. Playing sports isn’t. At least in the current situation. The failure of the US government to mount a proper response made it a no-no.

Should we make your place of work unnecessary for a year because of the failure of the US Government?

Easily my favorite player in a team I don’t root for.

[TWEET]1281743172088082432[/TWEET]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom