Mad Men II: A Man For All Seasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

1. Sound effect of lightbulb going off.

CFQixpBUgAI0fdL.jpg

I don't believe in coincidences with these costume designers.

Show begins with tobacco advertising, ends with Betty getting cancer.

Coke has been Don's white whale for a while now, show ends with him co-opting a movement to create his masterpiece through Coke.

It's a really good ending, I think.

Yes, this is it exactly. Nothing really changed. Despite the 60s, America remains a place where people want to get rich by selling product. All those hippie values co-opted by ad agencies to once again create the illusion of need/want in a consumer so they will buy buy buy.

I assume that Sally will get diabetes by the mid-80s?

Apparently I was more of a Stan - Peggy shipper than I thought (which, like Peggy initially, I didn't think of them). Because that scene got me. Waterworks.

I remember around season 3 or 4 thinking that this show was pretty great, but I have a long history of loving what I'm currently watching, and then within a year or two, something takes its place. I'm pretty sure this one is solid for me though. It's been a privilege to watch.

My cable went out at the stroke of 10, after watching the marathon for most of the weekend. Irate doesn't begin to tell you my thoughts. And it's still out. I found a crappy feed online through projectfree.tv. Can't wait to watch it without buffering and in sync. I wasn't sure how it was going to end, no pre-show guesses or anything. I think upon further viewing I'll be content with how everything turned out. The cable issue through a wrench into the evening and capped off the weekend.

I just can't believe that's all there is. :(

I think my two main priorities were knowing that Peggy is okay and that Sally is okay. I'm not shocked that we did not get a definitive Don is okay and did the right thing with his children. I think Sally will be fine, though. She's always been wise beyond her years, and I think she has enough insight to maybe take the best from both her parents, and leave behind the worst, and become something better.

Thanks Lila! Holiday weekend here, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to stay up for the AV Club review.

Also really, really glad that Joan ditched that controlling asshole and went the career route instead. Also glad that Peggy turned her down. I've never been the biggest Joan fan, she was a little too mean girl-ish and queen bee-ish for my liking, but I feel like she ended up in a good place.

Yes, this is it exactly. Nothing really changed. Despite the 60s, America remains a place where people want to get rich by selling product. All those hippie values co-opted by ad agencies to once again create the illusion of need/want in a consumer so they will buy buy buy.

This is a bit too cynical and single-level of a reading. What's so brilliant about the final moment is how Weiner is juggling his tone. On the surface, yes, ad man goes to hippie retreat and comes up with brilliant ad campaign.

But I would argue this: Don had a legitimate psychological cleansing/breakthrough in California (as evidenced by the previous scene where he shows true empathy for the male stranger and his powerful story). His major ad campaigns (the pitches we've seen, at least) have almost always been connected to something deeply personal. The difference is that previously, they were nostalgic, ripping off the facade of his personal life (his Kodak pitch in "The Wheel") or ripping the scab off his dark childhood (the Hershey pitch). Now he comes up with an ad campaign that reflects a new harmony that he's found, which is something more idealistic and looking to the future.

So yes, the hippie/summer of love movement is being co-opted to sell a product. But there's nothing sinister about the message itself, and if commercials have to put some idea out into the world, they could do far worse than that Coke ad. It put a smile on people's faces, just like it did for Don in the final shot. And I don't think it's cynical to show Don going back and working for "the man". Advertising is what he's good at. He can still be great at his job, but have a more positive personal live this time around. And we don't need to see him being there for his children. As Betty said, he can see them as often as he normally would.

Apparently I was more of a Stan - Peggy shipper than I thought (which, like Peggy initially, I didn't think of them). Because that scene got me. Waterworks.

I really disliked the Stan/Peggy thing. Really cheap fan service that was totally unnecessary. All I needed to see was a confident Peggy succeeding in her profession. Stan's support and admiration would have been enough.

Her joining Joan to start a new company also would have been fan service, but not nearly as lame.

I really disliked the Stan/Peggy thing. Really cheap fan service that was totally unnecessary. All I needed to see was a confident Peggy succeeding in her profession. Stan's support and admiration would have been enough.

Her joining Joan to start a new company also would have been fan service, but not nearly as lame.

I'm surprised I liked it, but I did. And really, it's been heading there for a while, culminating in Stan mentioning he broke up with his girlfriend, a few episodes back. And really, isn't that what Peggy's story has been about,for the past few seasons? Her inability to find a balance between career and a personal life? It's just showing it doesn't need to be either/or for her, which I would imagine was huge for someone in her position back them. It probably was fan service, but I'll take it.

I agree we had some Weiner pandering to fan fiction here. The Stan/ Peggy thing is something I would expect on regular network shows.

To have Don admit out loud to Peggy he is a worthless dirtbag is supposed to pass for an epiphany, ok. I can't imagine him not thinking that every night.

The scene with Roger and Megan's mother was pure gold.

All in all I am satisfied with this ending.

This is a bit too cynical and single-level of a reading. What's so brilliant about the final moment is how Weiner is juggling his tone. On the surface, yes, ad man goes to hippie retreat and comes up with brilliant ad campaign.

But I would argue this: Don had a legitimate psychological cleansing/breakthrough in California (as evidenced by the previous scene where he shows true empathy for the male stranger and his powerful story). His major ad campaigns (the pitches we've seen, at least) have almost always been connected to something deeply personal. The difference is that previously, they were nostalgic, ripping off the facade of his personal life (his Kodak pitch in "The Wheel") or ripping the scab off his dark childhood (the Hershey pitch). Now he comes up with an ad campaign that reflects a new harmony that he's found, which is something more idealistic and looking to the future.

So yes, the hippie/summer of love movement is being co-opted to sell a product. But there's nothing sinister about the message itself, and if commercials have to put some idea out into the world, they could do far worse than that Coke ad. It put a smile on people's faces, just like it did for Don in the final shot. And I don't think it's cynical to show Don going back and working for "the man". Advertising is what he's good at. He can still be great at his job, but have a more positive personal live this time around. And we don't need to see him being there for his children. As Betty said, he can see them as often as he normally would.

I agree completely with this. Alan Sepinwall's perspective is similar in that he feels the ending is maybe too cynical for its own good, but it's way too simplistic in thinking that Don cannot function as a better man for his friends and family and as a person who works in advertising, because the latter is his professional calling. It's his talent. And utilizing one's talent is an important step in finding happiness. Besides, it's also where his friends are - particularly Peggy, with her decisive "Come home!" certainly resonating in Don's newly found hippie mind.

And I disagree with this. We were talking about the importance of "hints" in storytelling when taking the abrupt introduction of Betty's illness into account. When looking at past seasons, the Stan/Peggy relationship was definitely building up to this, especially in this half-season with the Mimi Rogers episode and Peggy's confession about her son. An important part of Peggy's arc was to find some content in her personal life as well, because it's not all about the job, and it shouldn't be.

However... the execution of the ending to that storyline was sappy, ill-timed (due to Don's previous almost suicidal call) and way too cliched. I wish it was handled in a more subtle manner. How many cheap rom-coms have those scenes where a female character realises in two seconds she was always in love with the guy? Meh.

The more I think about the episode, the more I like it. But it does have its fair share of problems, which mirrors my impressions about this whole half-season.

I didn't mind the ending for Peggy. It seems fan servicey in theory, but I thought it was pretty well executed. I laughed at how she had to break it down over the phone, it still all felt very Peggy. I don't think it came out of nowhere, and it felt pretty natural. More natural than the Pete-Trudy reunion, I should note.

That Stan-Peggy thing was coming for years. I couldn't have predicted they'd give it a final wrap-up moment like that in the episode, but yeah, it was around.

More natural than the Pete-Trudy reunion, I should note.

Definitely.

I have to say that Jon Hamm's phone call to Peggy is suitcase-worthy. One of his best scenes on the show. His conversation with Betty isn't too far behind. Before I've seen the episode, the title "Person to Person" seemed to me like the most awkward name for a series finale ever, but it makes perfect sense after watching it, not only because the episode's most powerful scenes are directly related to it.

So yes, the hippie/summer of love movement is being co-opted to sell a product. But there's nothing sinister about the message itself, and if commercials have to put some idea out into the world, they could do far worse than that Coke ad. It put a smile on people's faces, just like it did for Don in the final shot.

:up: Very well said. I think they nailed the Don storyline - still open to interpretation but also very much in keeping with his series-long arc.

I'm sure Don comes back somewhat redeemed, it seemed all the characters got what they wanted -- love for Peggy, total autonomy for Joan, a somewhat better relationship with Sally for Betty, retirement with a woman as equally crazy as Roger. And I think the ending makes sense for Don, and most people smile at that commercial.

But that's what's sinister about it. And I think rather ties it back to the first episode -- Coke (and sugary foods) are the coming health crisis, like cigarettes are to the (that) present.

I don't see how you can't be a little bit cynical about that Coke commercial -- that's not all it is, but "Id like to buy the world a Coke" is hardly "free to be you and me" stuff. Don seemed like he'd been doing enough meditation in that final shot that it seemed like he was authentically pursuing meditation and self-discovery, so it's not like he was working undercover to figure out how best to wring the "Me Generation" of its cash for profit, but he can't help himself. It's who he is. And America is what it is, and capitalism is what it is. It's not altogether negative, but there is absolutely a cynicism about everything in those final few moments.

It's totally cynical, which is why it's perfect for Don. Look at all he went through on his journey emotionally ... and what did he do with it? He made an ad out of it. It's all completely true to his character.

Laz calls that single-level and cynical, but that's Don.

I don't think the ad is the most important piece of the episode - the revelation for Don is the speech from the guy at the sharing session. That's the point of breakthrough that would even allow him to go back into advertising. The revelation that he could be loved for who he was if he stopped demanding it on his own terms.

I think this is a discussion that goes well beyond the characters and their goals and aspirations, which was the backbone of the show. The nature of advertising, the consequences of the messages it sends, the chicken/egg question of whether consumerism is really an evil product of merciless corporations who shove the product down the poor consumer's throat, or is it merely an extension of the consumer's natural desires (was it the consumer or the producer who created advertising, really?)... these are questions that were there in the show, but I don't think the morality of what Don and Peggy do was ever a big deal for them. And I don't feel it should have been.

I don't think Don would find happiness and self-fulfillment by being retired in his mid-forties. He's too ambitious and hungry for that. I also see nothing wrong in using his experiences to make something creative, even if it is "just an ad". Ultimately, I don't think it was (at least exclusively) the work that made him the terrible human being he was. I certainly don't believe that, if he acquiesced to a major advertising corporation and at the same time pursued his ambitions and utilized his major talents, he automatically sold his soul. One can be a talented advertising executive and not treat his family and friends like shit. After all these experiences, there are signs that his behaviour might be going in a different direction, especially since I think he finally understood from Stephanie that running away and forgetting about his transgressions is simply shifting the burden and will only lead to other frustrations and failures.

Or maybe I just really love Coke.

I think the show, at all times, begged larger questions about happiness -- that's what all the characters were after, and it's what we all are after (pretty much), and that's how advertising functions -- that you could be happy(ier) if you buy this product. One way to do that is to create a sense of longing -- nostalgia, that longing that wasn't even at the core of Don but that actually was Don -- in the consumer. Or to actually make people unhappy, or to tell them they are inadequate (your breath is bad, your car is slow, you need new tampons) so they can sell. I think all the characters struggled with that, not overtly, but they were all longing for someone or something, and sex, booze, cigarettes, the occasional movie theater handjob, all were symptoms of that, erm, God-shaped hole.

On one level, they were all professionals and did their jobs, but it also ate away at most of them -- except Stan, I think. Remember Don's admiration for Sylvia's husband, the heart surgeon? He was so impressed that he was actually making things.

I'm sure it's absolutely possible to be a fully aware and happy ad executive, to balance art and commerce, to see that there's nothing wrong with making a living doing something you are great at.

But these characters were all bothered by it in different ways, and being that work was the center of their lives, and the center of this show, I think it's always begged these larger questions.

I see where you're coming from, and I certainly do think there is a level of cynicism in that Coke ad, but where we differ is when you mention health issues for Coke and cigarettes. I feel that Don's issue with advertising wasn't its moral grayness, but ultimately its blandness and lack of grandeur, which is something he saw in that heart surgeon's job (plus the fact he felt small and pathetic since he was sleeping with his wife).

I certainly didn't get a sense of torment with Peggy and her ambitions and her relationship to the job. And I really, really doubt Roger cared one way or the other. Cooper was from the Ayn Rand school, so that says plenty.

But a rewatch might make me reassess that. This is a show that would surely benefit from it. Too bad it's so freaking long.

didn't Don have a major crisis and write something about not wanting to advertise for cigarettes at some point? they put out an ad in the New York Times? i could look this all up, but i'm running along this morning.

i agree that Peggy isn't tormented by the selling of product but by her boundless ambition and how she feels taken less seriously as a young woman in business. i agree, Roger was well past caring. but they all had needs they were longing to fulfill, so they aren't tormented by the specifics of their job (anymore than anyone is tormented by deadlines and long hours) but by the philosophical questions and existential crises it demands and provokes.

fwiw, i found this a good write up and agreed with most of it. i did find the Peggy/Stan thing a little too neat, but, hey, why not.

Season 7, Episode 14: “Person to Person”

“Mad Men” is over and Don Draper did not jump out a window, hijack an airplane or time travel to the 1980s. The frenzied fan speculation is over. There will be no more what-will-happen theories. We have seen “The Real Thing.” The question, as ever, is: Did you buy it? (Read Alessandra Stanley’s review of the finale here.)

Over seven seasons, a decade has passed and “a lot has happened,” as Don says. (Or, “a ot-lay as-hay appened-hay,” as his secretary Meredith might translate into pig Latin.) The show has earned its raves, and its cast has seemed to get better every season — but we know all that. Let’s get into the finale, which was an almost entirely unambiguous piece of closure, frequently verging on fan fiction, with a script that tied up so many loose threads it was practically needlepoint.

Almost as if responding to fans who have been burning votive candles for the show’s most forceful female characters, Joan and Peggy get second helpings: Joan, who found love with her rich, medallion-wearing real estate tycoon, chooses a route that’s even more bold by rejecting him and opting to start her own company, Holloway-Harris. She even gets the show’s final drug experimentation scene, snorting cocaine. It makes her feel like “someone just gave me some very good news” and turns her on. But no matter how much her beau sweetens the deal or how much he offers a life of leisure, Joan can’t help but feel like she would be giving up her very hard-earned freedom.

In an upbeat, feminist sense, Joan, always the consummate queen of the office, loves her work and wants to blaze a new path, with her own name on the door and without a male boss to harass her, cheat her, or pimp her out. Now that Joan is extremely wealthy, it’s also a reminder that, just as others might be addicted to nicotine or alcohol, Joan (like Don and Peggy) is hooked on the rush of signing an account and beating the competition.

The question of “home” hovers over this entire episode—and it’s clear that Joan and her colleagues were all bonded by their workaholic passion. (As Peggy notes hilariously, they never did lunch.). Joan simply feels more at home working the phones than tanning on the beach. Her boyfriend Richard, wonderfully written, seems to have fallen for the real Joan, and not just her curves, so he gets it. He knows he’s lost her. For Joan, who used to cling to men for stability, Richard is now just the fun fling she had in 1970. The finale brushes her past defeats away and suggests that Joan will be much more than fine.

Peggy also flexes her strength by rejecting an offer of partnership when Joan offers her half of her company. Instead, she chooses to fight it out at McCann Erickson on her own terms, throwing elbows to keep the Chevalier account and hanging that ecstatic octopus painting on her wall. She too, seems in command of her destiny. She talks to Don like a sister now, urging him to come home. She so untroubled by Pete’s departure that she both can’t manage lunch and can manage a display of grace. When Joan’s alluring offer lands on her desk, she wavers in her ambition, considering an alternate path, but Stan reminds her that her dream of being a Don Draper-style legend (“Some day people are going to brag that they worked with you,” says Pete) is close at hand.

But the most jarring development of the finale was the sudden romance between Stan and Peggy. They confess their love on the phone and consummate it with a very furry kiss, after Peggy tells Stan that she loves him most for his constancy and support: “You’re there. And you’re here. And you make everything O.K.” The scenes played out like overheated melodrama (I was unconvinced). Personally, I liked the idea that Peggy didn’t need to find love to earn her own happy ending. But who can argue when the show’s two most lovable characters (and most charming actors) find their happiness together?

Pete is sent off in the most perfect way, with a prickly little cactus and a brush-off by two friends who can’t be bothered to join him for lunch. Pete doesn’t mind, though. Soon he and Trudy are flying off to their happy ending in Wichita in the company jet.

Roger, too, has found true love and even puts a ring on it. If it wasn’t clear before, the obsessive mama’s boy makes it clear that he’s turned on by being with Marie because she is a replacement for the mother he lost, sexy, doting and hard-edged. “I met her through Megan Draper,” he tells Joan. “She’s old enough to be her mother. Actually she is her mother.” Since Roger’s getting old, he does what all creaky jokesters do: he repeats the joke (“my mother”) to a waiter. He, too, seems to have found some peace.

Of course, all these happy endings wouldn’t make sense on “Mad Men” without an undertow of sadness—and Weiner has always seemed to be interested in how this generation would shape the next. In references and brief shots of the children, we get a sense of how they will feel the ripple effects of their parents’ drama. As Roger signs over half his inheritance to his child with Joan, it underscores the fact that this child may never know his father. Their child is filmed twice plopped in front of the television. Sally has been forced to grow up fast and compensate. Bobby, burning food in the kitchen, knows that his mother is lying about her illness and Sally must step in to play the role her father abdicated. Ken, obsessed with work again and leaving his literary career far behind, laughs about his kid, saying he’s “a little weird, actually. I think there might be something wrong with him.” It’s a glib, minor joke, but it seems to line up with the show’s constant view of how little the era expected of fathers.

Then there’s Don, stopping off in Utah, where the land-speed record was recently broken, looking like the hero in a Hollywood film or a Madison Avenue ad. He’s moving fast, speeding across the country to California, but does he really arrive anywhere different? After seven seasons, does he, or anyone else, really change? In this finale, there’s plenty of movement, but it seems to argue (explicitly and therapeutically) that we return to the way we were hard-wired early in life. Maybe the best any of these character can hope, after seven seasons of drama, is to take a hard look in the mirror and accept themselves. Don also gets a happy ending, but he doesn’t change; he actualizes. He’s becoming a more honest liar. “I broke all my vows,” he tells Peggy. “I scandalized my child. I took another man’s name. And made nothing of it.”

The finale feinted at suicide and Manson in a way that seemed to directly poke at the show’s Zapruder-level obsessive fans. But it also generously and lavishly gave the fans the kind of closure that Don himself was seeking. “People just come and go, and no one says goodbye,” Don complains in the middle of a panic attack. He’s discovered that Betty is dying and leaving him, just as his mother left him. He’s feeling alone in a crowd, mourning his divorces and scoffing at Esalen’s “Divorce: A Creative Experience” seminar. In what has to be the most pro-therapy finale in television history, his persona is metaphorically diagrammed twice in group seminars.

In the first session, a woman warns Ms. Stephanie that her child will spend “the rest of his life staring at the door” waiting for his mother to walk in, but Don traveled all the way across the country. Meanwhile, an office drone confesses that he feels like a product on a refrigerator shelf, waiting for someone to embrace him. I didn’t love these blunt metaphors, and setting up such obvious parallels in group seminars felt like rather unconvincing dramatic cheats. But Jon Hamm couldn’t be better in this episode. The show has pushed Don’s character thousands of miles away from anyone he knows, and people do have breakthroughs in therapy all the time.

However, I was absolutely disturbed, unsettled and thrilled by the final shot — and song — that followed, which seemed to distill so much of what the show has been saying about advertising (and the other lies we tell ourselves) for seven seasons. We last see Don meditating, beatifically, on a cliffside. Then there’s that slight, gorgeous smile, the chime of a bell and a cut to an utterly maudlin, corporate idealistic Coca-Cola ad. Did Don conceive of the “I’d like to buy the world a Coke” spot? It seems obvious that the answer is yes, particularly given the similar details, including the location and the much-tweeted girl with braided hair, for starters.

You can read the official story of how the Coca-Cola ad was created, but it’s probably worth noting that corporate mythology is not necessarily “the real thing,” anyway. In the universe of “Mad Men,” did Don grok the ad in a cliffside epiphany? Let’s remember that’s not how McCann Erickson, which created the ad, works. Even if he did come up with the concept, Don was likely one of very many men (and a few women) in a McCann conference room. Someone like Peggy might have polished the idea. Marketing and research likely tested it. Another executive probably found the songwriters.

Generally speaking, the famous Coke jingle is ironic here, in part because we now know that soda has contributed to a host of health problems, from diabetes to obesity (no matter how delicious it may be). For Don, it’s darkly ironic on a personal level because, after his long journey, he’s simply reverting to selling whatever sells, cigarettes or soda, using whatever method works best. “The best things in life are free,” Bert Cooper sang to him from the afterlife. Don has always known how to use those free things (home, family, nostalgia) to sell things that aren’t.

Can you see Don Draper sincerely believing in an ad with these lyrics? Or selling the concept because, as a pro, he thinks people will respond?

“I’d like to buy the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honeybees
And snow-white turtledoves”

The lyrics are cornier than a Ken Cosgrove short story, and just as syrupy. I can’t imagine Don, the Frank O’Hara fan, wouldn’t laugh out loud. But he might see their use. Don, unlike the kid who’s now driving his car, is a master hustler (from Howard Johnson’s to his “Why I Quit Tobacco” letter). If the final ad signals anything about where Don ends up, it’s that he realizes his true home is Madison Avenue—that he has embraced the fact that he is a born salesman, a killer hustler, a flim-flam artist of the highest order. His “real things” have always been bunk. So one can imagine Don nailing a pitch by promising that Coke offers something you can’t ever have: truth in a bottle. Something real and simple in a country shaken by the ’60s.

What makes Lucky Strike different from other cigarettes? They’re toasted. What makes Coke different from Pepsi? Coke is real. (In my fan-fic version of Mad Men’s finale, the 1971 McCann Erickson jingle is smash-cut with a Les McCann and Eddie Harris 1969 hit, which says, “Trying to make it real,” then asks, “Compared to what?” Don’s enlightenment may indeed lead to one of the most famous ads of all time, but its corn-syrupy utopia very nearly plays like a dystopic anthem.

“A new day. New ideas. A new you,” Don’s Esalen teacher intones in the final shot of the series. With those six words, she could be selling enlightenment or shoes or laptops or iWatches. Don might never find real peace or a real home, whatever that means. But if there was an eighth, ninth or tenth season, maybe Don could sell yoga mats. Or health spas. Or maybe even a new brand of sugary Coca-Cola drinks rebranded as healthy, vitamin-packed elixirs.

A quick note: These recaps were not intended to be exhaustive; that would be exhausting for all of us. But now that it’s over, thanks for all the thoughtful and often surprising reader comments over the years. Now: Tell me what you think. Did the finale work for you? Did Stan and Peggy’s happy ending work for you, or come out of the blue? How about Joan’s new enterprise? What was your favorite episode?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/18/mad-men-series-finale-recap/?_r=0

There was a ton of fan service and the obvious wrap-up scene at the end felt as rushed as one would expect, but none of the directions the characters took were illogical. Peggy/Stan have been not only working together but enjoying each other's company for years. Hell, they've seen each other naked. The writers did nothing new with the "oh I just realized I'm in love with you" trope, and that irritated me, but the pairing itself is fine.

In my last post in this thread, I had no intention of suggesting that the ending is necessarily cynical, merely that the writers didn't leave threads. Advertising for tobacco has its hand in contributing to the proliferation of cancer. Joan's constant battle for respect leads to her starting her own business. Don returns to advertising, but he does so because he loves the possibilities of the medium, not because the industry has enslaved him. It's not cynical, it's circular.

Last edited:
didn't Don have a major crisis and write something about not wanting to advertise for cigarettes at some point? they put out an ad in the New York Times? i could look this all up, but i'm running along this morning.

i agree that Peggy isn't tormented by the selling of product but by her boundless ambition and how she feels taken less seriously as a young woman in business. i agree, Roger was well past caring. but they all had needs they were longing to fulfill, so they aren't tormented by the specifics of their job (anymore than anyone is tormented by deadlines and long hours) but by the philosophical questions and existential crises it demands and provokes.

fwiw, i found this a good write up and agreed with most of it. i did find the Peggy/Stan thing a little too neat, but, hey, why not.
The crisis wasn't moral, though. When Lucky Strike left, he lashed out with the letter, but it was more an immature, parting "fuck you" to Lee Garner that they later spun as some moral line in the sand for the purposes of PR.

their biggest account, tobacco dumped the agency

so Don got out in front with the ad saying he quit them for moral reasons, it was bullshit, self-serving, and because it was Don it was brilliant and worked.

we could have had a mortal dilemma where either Don or Joan could save the agency by giving in to the sexual demands of one of their biggest clients because they could not afford to lose both, that would have worked better for me with Joan truly earning and deserving her 5% partnership because she saved the agency when Don would not.

I think it's important to separate the cynicism about advertising (and this is different from contempt, because Weiner is not blanket-judging the industry or the people who work in it) and consumer culture from Don's specific journey. Don can become a new, more open and loving person while still doing the work. But what I love about Weiner's wink at the audience is that despite showing the benefits of new age exploration, meditation, etc., depicting the co-opting of the counterculture to sell soft drinks is about as perfect a way of saying "the 1960s are truly over" as I can imagine.

Where the two merge is Don's participation in said co-opting, but he's merely a messenger, and as I said before, now his message is one of togetherness and positivity instead of the "the pain from an old wound" that he'd previously been peddling. That's personal progress, and while it may not be changing the world, it's contributing to a nicer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom