LP 13 talk & Bono's haircut tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm afraid the album isn't going to be the hit that they're hoping for, despite working with all hip young hitmakers of the day. The fact is that they're OLD. The fans and a few casuals who figure "why the hell not?" will be the only people who buy it. It's very likely to be the first U2 album that doesn't sell 1 million copies in the US, for example, unless it has a huge hit single.

When they realize they are too old to compete in the charts with people younger than their children, I'm afraid they'll just stop. I don't think they'll go the Springsteen route and just make music without an agenda or timetable in mind. I also don't think they'd be happy going the ACDC route, releasing an album every several years just to have a reason to launch another massive tour. They want to be #1 in all respects; radioplay, ticket sales, album sales, downloads, t shirt sales, etc.

I still say that if at the Super Bowl they'd have said "our new album comes out on (insert date here), this is our first single Invisible, GET IT NOW!!!" that "Invisible" would've been a bigger hit. Simply throwing a song out there for free on a commercial that is pretty much only seen once is not really a good way to get the song to be a hit. "Invisible" is a fine song, good single material, and combines some modern elements with U2's classic sound.

Still thinking next Feb/March. It's now JUNE and we know very little.

When they realize they are too old to compete in the charts with people younger than their children, I'm afraid they'll just stop. I don't think they'll go the Springsteen route and just make music without an agenda or timetable in mind.
They want to be #1 in all respects; radioplay, ticket sales, album sales, downloads, t shirt sales, etc.

...and that all just sucks.:down:

What were the reported song titles from the spring? Song for Someone, Troubles, and... wasn't there another?

#1 in ticket sales is cool.

In my opinion, that's what they should be most proud of. The fact that more people came to see them than any other band in the world. I'd rather have between 50,000-100,000 fans screaming for me every night for a 2 year tour than have one song in the charts for a couple weeks. They clearly don't need to have a hit single in the charts to sell tickets.

Which is why 360 was incredible in terms of success:
-An industry that is slowly fading in terms of albums sales
-NLOTH wasn't exactly a blockbuster
-The whole claw thing was somewhat avant garde
And yet people came out in droves.....biggest grossing tour ever. Bigger than Zoo TV. That's insane.
I think that's why all these "old" bands still tour every summer; Def Leppard, Poison, ACDC, blah blah all the shitty stuff as well as classic rock oldies bands....people, incredibly, still want to go to a show.

And not only that, but when you think of the songs U2 pulled out for 360, like
UF
HMTMKMKM
Your Blue Room
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
Scarlet
In A Little While

that's pretty nice.

fs3pchmvyaiecytjlvyb.gif

I'm afraid the album isn't going to be the hit that they're hoping for, despite working with all hip young hitmakers of the day. The fact is that they're OLD. The fans and a few casuals who figure "why the hell not?" will be the only people who buy it. It's very likely to be the first U2 album that doesn't sell 1 million copies in the US, for example, unless it has a huge hit single.

I think the reason that it might not sell 1 million copies in the USA is because most people no longer actually buy music. They have other ways of obtaining it for free. 2014 is almost half over and so far there are only FOUR albums that have sold at least 500,000 copies in the USA at this point in the year.

Record doc :lol:

not a big fan of either twilight and other oneb mentioned
in general

would have to specifically listen to Edge's guitar parts

mid- 50's is not old :tsk:
but it means they've had familes , and other interests new and older able to be expanded on over the decades .
so music is a important but not only important thing to them rushing b4 battery gives out on laptop :sigh:

I think the reason that it might not sell 1 million copies in the USA is because most people no longer actually buy music. They have other ways of obtaining it for free. 2014 is almost half over and so far there are only FOUR albums that have sold at least 500,000 copies in the USA at this point in the year.

Agreed. However, I'm afraid U2 will take it as an insult that their new album didn't go platinum, and take that as a sign. It takes A LOT to go platinum these days. And forget multi-platinum... You have to have an Adele-like universally popular crossover success to achieve this.

Speaking purely from what *could* be U2's perspective: if Coldplay aren't having any problems selling records - people parting with their cold hard cash to legitimately own Mylo Ghost Vida or whatever they're calling their albums - why can't U2? U2 have (rightly) considered themselves to be in a league of their own for a very long time now. So they don't consider prevailing trends in downward record sales to necessarily apply to them. So while the rest of us might consider sales of 3m worldwide for the next album to be healthy and respectable, U2 would probably think it'd be a complete fucking disaster for them.

i wish they'd finish up so i can complain about it.

they were probably out in LA playing tracks for Guy, and he was all like, "yeah, they're cool and all, but needs more Timbaland collaborations and a duet with Ke$ha that will work in a Gap commercial, and btw, here's the number of madonna's bikram yoga instructor -- go lose some damn weight. those kids aren't paying to hear your songs but to see your abs."

it's all about LA now.

Back
Top Bottom