LP 13 talk & Bono's haircut tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what do we think? Give it till August for news? I'd not by then I'd say it's extremely unlikely a 2014 release.

If we go by ATYCLB AND HTDAAB release schedule, singles were released in August and September.

But more importantly - both ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both reported (rumored at the time) as done right around the beginning of July or just before. At this point, it's safe to say they probably have a system down. If they're gonna hit a comfortable album release this year, with no rushing anything (and God knows there is no need to rush anything, and they certainly aren't), then it would probably be reported as done around then, I'd think.

Not just major reports from Rolling Stone or whatever. But whispers and rumors circulating and such. That's what happened on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Just like it seemed like it was going down in early June 2013. Last summer they were basically (say - within 30 days) right on target to do what they did on both ATYCLB and HTDAAB...until they weren't. I said a version of all of this in the months leading up...met my a few people saying "I don't buy this timeline nonsense"...of course, you all should know by now there is no reason not to believe it. U2 are creatures of habit. They'll do what they believe works. Why change?

Whatever the case, if the album isn't said to be done by sometime in July, we won't see it in 2014. And we may not see it anyway, even if there are whispers or even explicit reports that it's done. Just that IF they are going to put it out in 2014, you have to buy into the idea of this basic window of opportunity at this point. Or...some of you guys can will yourself into delusion but this is what history tells us will happen.

And for those that need a reminder
June 30th 2000-
New Album and Single Dates Reported
and by July 6th 2000, a vague album release date (proved to be accurate)
U2 October Boys Again?
June 29 '04- Vertigo was selected as the lead single prior to then. U2 Diagnosed With Vertigo for New Album?
July 12 2004 - report HTDAAB chosen as album title
report says domains were chosen on June 22nd
Did U2 Plan to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?
June 2008 - before the delay, a fall date - surely Paul was told "we're pretty much done" (obviously weren't)
Paul McGuinness reveals U2 release date
July 2008 - album title known, many song titles known.
U2 Set Sale For a New Horizon
and lastly - last year - June 2013 - when rumors were saying they're done.
U2 in NYC #3: Packing Up the Gear
June 2013 - Billboard reports U2 targeting December 2013
Billboard: U2 Aiming for New Album in December

It's not a perfect illustration but it should get the job well enough done for most of the sane people around here. Me? Once the calendar flips about July 15th, that's all she wrote as far as I'm concerned. But that's okay. I don't really care when it comes out as long as it's good...and as long as it's not like...two more years or some shit. At this point could our collective apathy be any lower? I can't imagine.

Wow, I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disturbed by the fact that people still think there's an album coming out any time soon.

Wow, I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disturbed by the fact that people still think there's an album coming out any time soon.

Not just one, many albums...I think 5 at this point...one produced by Danger Mouse, "12 Ordinary Tracks", then 4 solo albums (one from each member, backed by the other 3 members) released simultaneously..."Saving the World One Barber Shop at a Time", "Razor's Edge", "Biggest Instrument" and "Leave Me Alone"

Not just one, many albums...I think 5 at this point...one produced by Danger Mouse, "12 Ordinary Tracks", then 4 solo albums (one from each member, backed by the other 3 members) released simultaneously..."Saving the World One Barber Shop at a Time", "Razor's Edge", "Biggest Instrument" and "Leave Me Alone"

I heard that the Barber Shop album actually features the band performing as a barber shop quartet.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

I really don't buy the two album talk. The past five years we've heard about multiple albums and we've gotten Zero

I think the best comment came from Adam a month ago stating he thinks they're wrapping up. And now with the band off to west coast and other regions of the world....MAYBE...we'll see

I agree with U2 being creatures of habit. If album is done, magazine articles will start to come out describing some of the new work. Song names will come out (kind of like what we say at beginning of year before they pulled plug).

Something that I'm trying to temper is how low my expectations are for this. Because of the delays, the fuck up of the Super Bowl advert, and the radio silence (as if their music is so important it can't be discussed at all)....I've grown so apathetic towards this band that even if they do release a "classic" I may have already made up my mind (overcooked). The longer they take the less relevant they are

That sort of bites

Oh, it's my own problem. But it's kind of natural to start questioning how good the music will be when the band themselves don't seem confident in it.

They deserve the benefit of doubt

Whatever the case, if the album isn't said to be done by sometime in July, we won't see it in 2014. And we may not see it anyway, even if there are whispers or even explicit reports that it's done. Just that IF they are going to put it out in 2014, you have to buy into the idea of this basic window of opportunity at this point. Or...some of you guys can will yourself into delusion but this is what history tells us will happen.

Once the calendar flips about July 15th, that's all she wrote as far as I'm concerned. But that's okay. I don't really care when it comes out as long as it's good...and as long as it's not like...two more years or some shit. At this point could our collective apathy be any lower? I can't imagine.

I agree 100%.
I'll even go one step further:
No album this year= a good chance of no album period. Done. Why?
My rational is: If they decide the songs they have aren't good enough (which would be the only reason not to put it out this year), then what are they gonna do? Go back to the drawing board AGAIN? How many records have been thrown in the trash at this point?
And you can argue that maybe they only have 8 songs finished or whatever; I call bull on that. They've got to have at LEAST 10-11. And if some of those songs suck then so be it......they have to either shit or get off the pot at this point. Another 6 months or a year is like 10 years in terms of aging rock stars ability to still knock it out of the park.

Come on, just put the fucker out.....good, bad, mediocre.....it is what it is and if they can't do any better than so what just call it a day.

I
And you can argue that maybe they only have 8 songs finished or whatever; I call bull on that. They've got to have at LEAST 10-11. And if some of those songs suck then so be it......they have to either shit or get off the pot at this point.

the key word is finished. here's how I see it:

I'm sure they have 30-40+ songs in some form of completion, maybe more. But we know this band's weakness is actually finishing songs; It's at the finishing point that they delay and/or ditch them.

Evidence: Chris Thomas Bomb cuts of Native Son, ABOY, Sometimes, Yahweh, Xanax, and the NLOTH beach clips. These songs were written, but not finished to the band's liking. They delayed each album to make 'em happen.

What was the delay with Bomb? a year?
With NLOTH it was 4-5 months (October to Feb)

We know they sat down in the fall of 2013 to "finish" Album X. (recall Larry's quote about them being in the most difficult stage, choosing from different mixes, Adam's comment on finishing by Christmas, etc) They took a look at the prior two years of work, and began working with mixes, tweaking final arrangements, cutting vocals.

The aim was to have album X out in April, when by February they were still figuring this out, they decided to release and gauge the reaction to Invisible before truly deciding on their plan. I would bet money that they were already thinking of delaying, but were holding out to see if they had a big hit on their hands. If Invisible scored they'd keep hammering away, with an aim to finishing and release within another 2-3 months.

When it didn't, they figured, "why rush this if we dont have to?" - and gave themselves more breathing room. rather than spend 10 hours a day finishing the album/killing each other, they could space out recording sessions in chunks here and there, and finish it without sacrificing their sanity.

and that's where we are now. Maybe they're done. maybe they're taking two weeks off before holing up with Tedder/DM/Epworth/whoever again. we dont know.

whoever said July is our benchmark is probably right... if we hear reports of them in the studio again, we know they're still at it, and 2014 is damn unlikely. however, if in a month Bono's hair is still flying wild, and Larry's off making another film, then they're likely either a) done, sitting on a fall release, or b) calling it quits.

my-two-cents.jpg

Evidence: Chris Thomas Bomb cuts of Native Son, ABOY, Sometimes, Yahweh, Xanax, and the NLOTH beach clips. These songs were written, but not finished to the band's liking. They delayed each album to make 'em happen.

Right....the only problem is: Apart from Vertigo/Native Son (arguably) none of those songs really improved. They are weak at their core. No mixing is going to fix that.
If they haven't figured THAT out by now then that's embarrassing. I think they know they need strong tunes regardless of a mix.
And IF the album is delayed again, THAT'S where the problem is: lack of strong tunes.
And that my friends, is a problem worse than standing in a cage full of bees wearing a pair of honey underwear.

And IF the album is delayed again, THAT'S where the problem is: lack of strong tunes.

I do think somewhere in the decisions about mixes and finalizing the songs, this realization entered the equation.

but perhaps lack of a strong single is a better way of putting it.

Hawkmoon still rocks after 269 mixes, after all :wink:

Not that this means anything but I just heard Streets on Radio 104.1 (Hartford CT) just now and dawned on me they played three U2 songs so far today.... maybe a little more rotation???? I'm grabbing at straws now I know. :shrug:

I agree 100%.

I'll even go one step further:

No album this year= a good chance of no album period. Done. Why?

My rational is: If they decide the songs they have aren't good enough (which would be the only reason not to put it out this year), then what are they gonna do? Go back to the drawing board AGAIN? How many records have been thrown in the trash at this point?

And you can argue that maybe they only have 8 songs finished or whatever; I call bull on that. They've got to have at LEAST 10-11. And if some of those songs suck then so be it......they have to either shit or get off the pot at this point. Another 6 months or a year is like 10 years in terms of aging rock stars ability to still knock it out of the park.

Come on, just put the fucker out.....good, bad, mediocre.....it is what it is and if they can't do any better than so what just call it a day.

Your theory there might be no album period is not going to happen, they're not going to call it quits after years of work and let NLOTH be the end of their legacy. At least one last album and then tour. But I don't see much after that, I do think seeing how hard it is to get them to make an album will make them think twice next time around.

Your theory there might be no album period is not going to happen, they're not going to call it quits after years of work and let NLOTH be the end of their legacy. At least one last album and then tour. But I don't see much after that, I do think seeing how hard it is to get them to make an album will make them think twice next time around.

Well, of course I would want another one from them. I agree going out with NLOTH would be a bummer, not to mention throwing away years of recording.

Who knows, we'll see......but I do think my theory would stand up IF the songs just aren't good. 4+ years of writing and they can't come up with 10 tunes? THAT is where I think it's possible for them to call it a day. IF that is the case.

The answers lay buried in the IF'S.

(That should be the name of the album).
:up:

I think we'd have an album if you could lock these guys up in the studio for 4 months. No movies, no charities, just force them to be together. Maybe they break up? Maybe they finish these songs!

Seems like they hit the studio for a few weeks, then all jet off to something else.

I wish danger mouse would open up. Originally I thought he was being hush as some be secret release.....now I just think he's keeping quiet as he has nothing nice to say

Regardless of the quality of this new album,they can now say that it has beat Achtung Baby in the category of "Most difficult album we ever made"

Regardless of the quality of this new album,they can now say that it has beat Achtung Baby in the category of "Most difficult album we ever made"

Yup.

I think we'd have an album if you could lock these guys up in the studio for 4 months. No movies, no charities, just force them to be together. Maybe they break up? Maybe they finish these songs!

Seems like they hit the studio for a few weeks, then all jet off to something else.

Sort of like what this author suggested over on the Grantland site a few months ago? Maybe not exactly the same, but you get the idea!

The Album Doctor Is Back «

U2 does not need to reinvent the wheel on its next record; it just has to make the spinning feel energetic and maybe a little unpredictable. Overworking wannabe hits with hit-making architects doesn’t seem like a way to get there. So, here’s a new plan: Set whatever you’re working on aside for now. Put the Edge in a dark room with a case of Guinness for four days, or until he bangs out a dozen or so riffs. His guitar parts should be no more sophisticated than his parts on “Twilight” or “Rejoice.” Anything the Edge feels slightly embarrassed about sharing on the grounds that it’s too simple, that’s the stuff you keep for sure. Then give those demos to Bono and allow him no more than 12 hours to come up with lyrics. Book a Dublin club, bring in Larry and Adam to bang out some quick rhythm parts during sound check, play for whoever is at the club two hours later, record it, and release it as a “surprise” album one week later.

Will this album be the next Achtung Baby? Probably not. It may in fact be awful. But it would make U2 sound like a band again, and not a multinational corporation. At the very least, it would clear the palate for the Danger Mouse record.

I recently remembered the Tracks box set that Bruce Springsteen released in the late 90's with all of those unreleased tracks. Assuming everything since the Rubin sessions is mostly completed in some form or another, it would be interesting to see if U2 would ever put out something similar encompassing those years down the road.

Ever since Zooropa, 1993, it has taken the band an average of 4 years minimum to put out another album. The fact that this one will have taken six years should not be setting off any alarm bells or be cause to claim that the band is finished. If you really examine the bands schedule for the past 21 years, were still in a phase that you would call "business as usual". Oh, and please stop comparing this album to Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses. That album took 17 years to put out after the previous one, 1991 to 2008. The new U2 album will be out by March 2015, 6 years after NLOTH was released. In fact, I actually think they are going to release it in November of this year, November 25 to be precise. There will likely be a marketing push with the Black Friday week and the last weeks before Christmas.
U2 takes their time as they always have. They have been a band since the late 70s and I seriously doubt they have any plans to stop being a band any time soon. Its what they do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom