LA #5 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watched a U2 show from the seats for the first time in 10 years, and it was really good. Crowd was into it, even the new songs. The first set of songs is a great way to start and any time they can play OOC is great, so yeah. Iris/Cedarwood Road/SFS worked great. The use of the screens was well received. I heard audible gasps during Cedarwood Road.

Only thing that really fell flat was Invisible, until the big reveal. I don't understand, as it's a great song. Part of it could be confusion as a bunch of people left their seats during the intermission and the rest maybe confusion as to what was going on. Also the casuals weren't nearly as amused at my falsetto wa-wa-wa-wa-wandering as the GAers.

Crowd had fun during Volcano, and then sat down for Ordinary Love and EBW. Here's the thing though, just because they sit down doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it.

The Troubles was breathtaking. Bono sounded great and that solo :drool: It was everything I'd hoped for from my favorite song off the album.

I think the transition from The Troubles to WOWY was nice, but yeah BD into the Troubles is a wee bit jarring. Also, just because people sit down, doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it. It's just they don't know the song, because, it's new. That's the whole point of touring, to get people familiar with your new songs. I go to a ton of shows and with the exception of the last Arctic Monkeys tour, new songs don't get nearly the same reaction as the older hits. And yet, by the next tour, they are the old favorites.

In conclusion that was an incredible show to cap off an incredible run. I guess I'll see you guys in the Denver setlist party. I will need to download periscope and meerkat.

I think everyone that sees more than a couple of shows, should see it from the seats. It's often a better view, plus you see the stage lighting and other stuff much better.

I saw 4 so far this tour, 2 GA, 2 Seats and that was great for me...

this

seriously the song has bored live since 1993 aside from the occasional one off (orchestra) and it's sounded tired the last two tours. it's even off without Bono playing guitar even though I thought he wasn't contributing too much.

I get it, it saved the band, whatever. it's had it's time. The Troubles at least has that guitar solo.

props to the band for dropping it and not making it an every single night thing, they should consider doing that with every song save for Streets.

:up: :up: :up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Moment of Surrender is pretty much loved around this place and it's fairly well agreed that it was great live...

yet we all seem to forget that often quite a few fans, be they the casual types in the seats or the douchebags who wanted to be first in line for the next night, would leave after With Or Without You.

It doesn't mean Moment of Surrender was a did. That's just the way shit goes sometimes.

The Troubles is a new song, a slower song... That people are sitting doesn't mean that it's killing the show or isn't doing well live.

I think everyone that sees more than a couple of shows, should see it from the seats. It's often a better view, plus you see the stage lighting and other stuff much better.

Agreed! Last night was the first time I had seats in a decade and I loved it!! My section wasn't lame, I welcomed the rest after doing multiple nights in GA and it was a perfect send off! I hope the withdrawals won't be too bad for me

Watched a U2 show from the seats for the first time in 10 years, and it was really good. Crowd was into it, even the new songs. The first set of songs is a great way to start and any time they can play OOC is great, so yeah. Iris/Cedarwood Road/SFS worked great. The use of the screens was well received. I heard audible gasps during Cedarwood Road.

Only thing that really fell flat was Invisible, until the big reveal. I don't understand, as it's a great song. Part of it could be confusion as a bunch of people left their seats during the intermission and the rest maybe confusion as to what was going on. Also the casuals weren't nearly as amused at my falsetto wa-wa-wa-wa-wandering as the GAers.

Crowd had fun during Volcano, and then sat down for Ordinary Love and EBW. Here's the thing though, just because they sit down doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it.

The Troubles was breathtaking. Bono sounded great and that solo :drool: It was everything I'd hoped for from my favorite song off the album.

I think the transition from The Troubles to WOWY was nice, but yeah BD into the Troubles is a wee bit jarring. Also, just because people sit down, doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it. It's just they don't know the song, because, it's new. That's the whole point of touring, to get people familiar with your new songs. I go to a ton of shows and with the exception of the last Arctic Monkeys tour, new songs don't get nearly the same reaction as the older hits. And yet, by the next tour, they are the old favorites.

In conclusion that was an incredible show to cap off an incredible run. I guess I'll see you guys in the Denver setlist party. I will need to download periscope and meerkat.

Basically my sentiments and experiences from the seats exactly. Especially re: Invisible.

You know me, I don't do much armchair setlist-quarterbacking.

Throw Beautiful Day in as an additional encore song, use those COBL lights for it, so they can use the lights for more than one song. It would work fine into or out of COBL.

And then throw something better-fitting into its former spot in the main set.

That whole piano malfunction/Elvis thing was hilarious. Is there any audio or video around with the "Lesbians for Bono" banter before that?

I saw 4 so far this tour, 2 GA, 2 Seats and that was great for me...

Agree, I always do a mix of seats and GA anyway, but I think even more so on this tour GA is not the ultimate experience, and that doing seats at least once gives you a much better feel for the entire show.

You know me, I don't do much armchair setlist-quarterbacking.

Throw Beautiful Day in as an additional encore song, use those COBL lights for it, so they can use the lights for more than one song. It would work fine into or out of COBL.

And then throw something better-fitting into its former spot in the main set.

Yep, agreed on this.

That whole piano malfunction/Elvis thing was hilarious. Is there any audio or video around with the "Lesbians for Bono" banter before that?

I can't claim to have thought of this song reference, but does this qualify as a Stand Up Comedy snippet?

"Now who are these lesbians for Bono" lmao I am loving the mood they all seem to be in this tour

Bono was hilarious during that whole mix-up. Edge was just standing at the piano for a while tapping the keys with no sound coming out and looking quite bewildered. He then walked off the e-stage to consult with tour staff and it looked like they brought a small piano out to ask him if he wanted to use that, or go back to the main stage. Bono was engaging the crowd on the opposite side during all this and at one point turned around and said "Edge, take your time". Lol. This tour really is something to behold. If there's any chance you have to see it from the seats in the middle, don't hesitate, they spend a ton of time on the ramp, in the divide, and on the e-stage. Amazing night.

Did Bono mention crystal ballroom again? Report on U2 gigs says so?

Yes, during the piano malfunction. It was in a joking manner but I don't remember his exact words, maybe someone else can chime in. He also mentioned before playing Volcano that he ran into some fans outside and they told him we've been to every LA show and will you play something new. He then proceeded to play Volcano and Ordinary Love. Apparently Sil may have had something to do with the appearance of Volcano, see this clip below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYKoLlCk88

Awesome summary, thanks. :up:

With the average age of a U2 fan...my back hurts, my feet hurt. Sometimes I like to sit down for a song or two when I have seats! Doesn't mean I'm enjoying it any less.

On the Vertigo tour, I did 6 shows in a row, all GA. At the third or fourth show, I was outside rail after lining up since 4 am (and actually staying in line the whole time, like we used to do!! We also tied onions to our belts). I was also fighting a pretty bad cold, and so for that show, I was just kind of chill, taking it all in. In awe, really. And this dude behind me starts giving me a hard time for not jumping around the entire two hours, said that I shouldn't have had a spot on the rail. I was like "seriously? You're an idiot."

OH my, Troubles was beautiful. BEAUTIFUL. Its one of my favourite u2 songs ever, and i love the visuals, it also sounds like lykke li recorded new vocals for it, maybe thats what she was doing in the instagram post?

I want to know who those two fans are that bono was speaking to in the video above. He seemed so genuinely pleased to see them, i love it! :cute:

Edge seemed pretty ok with the piano troubles compared to PIANO!!! from 360! hahaha!
Now they only have to play reach around and sleep and its a full album! They at least have to pull out reach around at some point, that song is MADE for a live performance.

Yes, during the piano malfunction. It was in a joking manner but I don't remember his exact words, maybe someone else can chime in. He also mentioned before playing Volcano that he ran into some fans outside and they told him we've been to every LA show and will you play something new. He then proceeded to play Volcano and Ordinary Love. Apparently Sil may have had something to do with the appearance of Volcano, see this clip below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYKoLlCk88

Lmao he nearly trips over again at the end!!!

Wow what an amazing show. Hearing volcano and The Troubles for me where the highlight. Also the whole mishap with the piano and Bono having to fill in time was funny as hell. Love SOI even more because of the shows!! Thanks U2:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom