July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, I am not selfish and I don't have some out of whack sense of entitlement. I just don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this. Everyone agrees they would have granted the third date anyway. If someone broke an agreement, then let them cancel the concert if it is really that big of a deal. I won't get upset.
If people destroy property and get out of hand after or before events, then Dublin should foot the bill for a larger security presence.
However, laws, contracts, and agreements are not permanently binding. I still think it is really silly and shortsided to think that a bajillion dollar stadium is sitting in your neighborhood and some silly agreement is going to mean you will only have to put up with a few late nights each year.:doh:

I may be wrong but I think the houses (at least the ones by the GA entrance) were there long before the stadium was- as for moving- if you've seen the neighbourhood you'll see why that's probably not an option

Here is my opinion in brief:
People who spout comments on subjects they know nothing about only show themselves up to be ill-informed idiots who can't see situations from other people's viewpoint.

Here are some facts in brief:
The stadium has evolved over the last 100+ years, as has the area surrounding it.
The GAA has owned it for 96 years now and therfore it's primary purpose is a football and hurling venue.

It is NOT a concert venue - however based on planning permission being granted there can be 3 concerts a year.
Locals have every right to respond to all proposed events through the Croke Park Community Liason group.
There are 4 concerts scheduled for Croke Park in 2009.

The introduction of floodlights in January 2007 and the temporary override of rule 42 in 2005 allowing soccer and rugby to be played there, mean that there are now also matches played at night throughout the year.

in the past the curfew has been 11 pm, i'd assume it's going to be the same this time around.

i mean i can see that yeah, they bought these houses knowing there was a stadium there. that's a simple fact. however, as it's been stated, they moved there knowing there was a law in place saying only three a year, so 362 days out of the year it's a non-issue. sure it's just one more day, just one more concert, but think how you'd feel if there was a loud party or something going on near where you lived, on a monday night no less. i don't think any celebrities are above the law, so it upsets me that someone in u2's camp, whether it's the band themselves, their management, whoever basically has the country by the balls. the tickets are selling like hotcakes, they'd be stupid to tell them they can't have the third show.

basically it boils down to not the third show itself, but the fact that someone dropped the ball in added the third date without getting authorization first. no matter what, that's a shitty thing to do imo.

yes, I agree with you here. If I were a resident there I would be pretty pissed too. And yes someone did drop the ball on this 3rd show. Could they move the third show to another venue? Probably not but I wonder if they could.

I have tix to the third show but if they cancelled it I would be ok with it.

Apart from all this "pro & contra" – do we have any official newse, whether the gig(s) are in danger to happen?

regardless of whether it's wrong or right, I suspect that Dublin council will be more interested in the money the visitors will bring into the local economy (which is in dire trouble right now) than the complaints of the local residents- and the bad PR if they cancelled the shows (or the wrath of Paul McGuiness)

Apart from all this "pro & contra" – do we have any official newse, whether the gig(s) are in danger to happen?

The gigs will happen, they're worth too much money. Worst case U2 or the promoters will have to pay a fine, which is more money for Ireland so the council probably prefer that solution

The weird thing is U2 probably could of gotten a third date if they asked, they got two dates at Slane when it's meant to be only one. I'm just really surprised and in a way shocked they didn't ask

You people are the most selfish people on earth, an agreement was signed saying 3 concerts a year. Yet U2 go ahead and break that agreement without even applying for planning permission, if I was the residents I'd be pissed off even if I liked U2. What was the point of the agreement in the first place if apparently it doesn't matter at all and bands can do whatever the hell they want?

LOL The concert will go on as planned and the residents just have to suck it up for another night. And if we were selfish we would keep all the thousands of dollars each one of us is paying individually and say Fuck U2. But instead we're exchanging for a different less abrasive selfishness. We're getting to see U2 3 nights at Croker, but we're paying $$$$$

It sounds as if the neighborhoodians are being selfish. hmmmmmmm, a few hundred extra tousand dollars stimulating my local economy or 1 night of sleep. Money talks louder than a few grumpy old men.

argue of voice your opinion as much as you want, but there's little chance of a change in this situation I would believe.

that whole article seems like a ploy to steer some extra euros to the neighborhood association,
and im not going to the third show so im not being "selfish", and i can understand the neighbors complaints, even if i disagree with them- no one on here is an idiot just because they have a different view point from you.
(i admit that i do drink guinness, so maybe i am a "fake irish" wanabee)

I just read whole threat and I need domment that:
I spent in Dublin last 1,5 year, I'm not Irish but I have own opinion: people from Croke Park neigbourhood wood want to screw U2! I don't know which part of irish society is more involved in that: normal people or junkies (locally called: disadvantage people) who mostely live on north part of Dublin. You won't have any problem in recognizing those people (tracksuit-sweaty pants, golden rings etc.) Unfortunatelly they are comletly differend than normal Irish, who are mostely very pleasent, open and easy going people. I love that county because of them :heart:

For me Dublin has 2 faces - bright and dark. This is the bright:

Croke Park in background bellow

35cittx.jpg

10idv9f.jpg

2r3c8wk.jpg

20gkuol.jpg

2drwfgz.jpg

2l6c5y.jpg

2im2io0.jpg

veosxy.jpg

2rr8odd.jpg

:yippie:

Those are beautiful photos jackseg, thanks. Looks like the views from the bar atop the Guinness Bldg. :up: I loved the architecture and the brightly different color doors.

Now U2 are hailed as €50m tourism saviours - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Independent.ie
Now U2 are hailed as €50m tourism saviours

By WILLIE KEALY EXCLUSIVE
Sunday April 19 2009

The head of Dublin Tourism has suggested that a U2 concert in Dublin every year could have a profoundly positive effect on the economy.

And business leaders and the GAA are predicting a €50m bonanza for Dublin in July when the band play three concerts in Croke Park.

The band will play to 250,000 fans over three days, many of them coming to Ireland from overseas.

"These concerts are attracting thousands of fans from all over the world and during these times are a welcome huge economic boost worth over €50m to Dublin and Ireland," said Aebhric McGibney, policy director of Dublin Chamber of Commerce.

"It is also an opportunity for Ireland to showcase our Irish culture and heritage showing the world, what we do best."

According to Dublin Tourism, it will be the first time in several years that every hotel in Dublin and surrounding area has a good chance of being fully booked.

"A U2 home concert is the equivalent of Ireland winning the Grand Slam five times in the one season at home," said Dublin Tourism boss Frank McGee.

"Over 250,000 will attend the concerts, all spending money on food, drink and accommodation. "If only we could have one every year."

He added that a combined crowd of 250,000 in Ireland was the pro rata equivalent of playing in front of front of three million people in the UK. The first 165,000 tickets for the concerts sold out within 40 minutes of going on sale, setting a new Irish box office record and becoming the fastest-selling ticket ever here. The concert dates are July 24, 25 and 27.

Eamonn O'Connor, managing director of Ticketmaster, said: "U2 are bigger now than they've ever been. They are without doubt the biggest touring act in the world".

GAA stadium director, Peter McKenna, said: "It is like having three All Ireland Finals back to back. These aren't just Irish concerts, they are truly international events with fans travelling from Brazil to Canada, Australia to Japan -- this is Croke Park and the city of Dublin on show to the world."

- WILLIE KEALY EXCLUSIVE

It sounds as if the neighborhoodians are being selfish. hmmmmmmm, a few hundred extra tousand dollars stimulating my local economy or 1 night of sleep. Money talks louder than a few grumpy old men.

this is always such a myth. what benefit are the residents actually going to see? are their taxes and rates going to be cut a little bit because of the concert? no.

Just checked Ticketmaster.ie, my tickets to Dublin 1 have been dispatched too :hyper: Now I`m going to contact my friends who bought the tickets to Dublin 2 and Dublin 3, I need to know if theirs were dispatched too! It´s all happening :hyper:

This is good for everyone. I just hope the mail is nice to me and doesn't take 3 months to come to my house

Laura, I can´t talk about Ticketmaster Ireland, but in 2005 I purchased tickets from Ticketmaster Canada to see two U2 concerts in Toronto and I received the tickets here in Brazil around 3 weeks after they were dispatched. The concerts will happen in 3 months, so I think there´s plenty of time.

I think I will get them in a few weeks. I have to trade with someone for Dublin 1, so the sooner the better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom