July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just throw a bunch of porta potties around the stadium
everyone likes to have a say, but this seems a little over the top-

anyone went to croke last tour remember when the band started/stopped- if the residents have such a say in what goes on, is there a strict curfew to end the show? that would be shame for the friday and saturday shows

I can't believe how people don't understand why the residents are pissed off at this, it's not that u2 are playing. It is that there are 4 concerts happening when they only agreed to three ever happening in one year. Announcing a third show without planning permission was plain stupid. I'm pretty sure it's not even legal to do that...

let me get this straight- 3 concerts is ok, but 4 is a crime?

i understand their concerns about noise etc., but to me, if you choose to live next to a stadium, crowds should be expected.

i understand their concerns about noise etc., but to me, if you choose to live next to a stadium, crowds should be expected.

There is a limit of 3 concerts a year, a limit that was agreed upon. What was the point in the stadium negotiating a limit with residents if U2 can come along and break it? U2 didn't even get planning permission or discuss it with residents they just did it, U2 aren't entitled to play concerts here they should have to get permission like every other band has to

I don't get it....you live next to a stadium....if it is that bad, move....:coocoo:

I can understand that it's not the shows or the games that angers them. People going around pissing on their property and making a mess is ridiculous! Sounds like Hoboken on the weekend.:|

I'm sure U2 know the rules. Could Livenation just not given a sh*t?

When I officilly have them then I'll feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders.

I don't get it....you live next to a stadium....if it is that bad, move....:coocoo:

yes the residents should move because the stadium does something it said it wouldn't right...the residents agreed to 3 gigs a year, that was the agreement, u2 broke it without permission, U2 are in the wrong here really I can't see how people can think any other way. If this was Nickelback playing three nights outside your house without permission you wouldn't be happy

then why is it ok to have 3 shows? are the fans at the first three shows better behaved than the ones who go to the 4th show?

they should ban all shows if it is that much of a problem . i really dont see how the neighbors should have any say over what happens at a stadium they dont even own. if you choose to live next to a stadium, you should expect stadium events to occur during the year.

if they only kept the 2 shows that sold out in 2 hours, then everyone would complain that they didnt add a third show-

yes the residents should move because the stadium does something it said it wouldn't right...the residents agreed to 3 gigs a year, that was the agreement, u2 broke it without permission, U2 are in the wrong here really I can't see how people can think any other way. If this was Nickelback playing three nights outside your house without permission you wouldn't be happy

HAHA, like how you use Nickelback as an example...........TRUTH is we are injecting their economy with money so Their voice will be quieted for the greater good. Ireland is not doing well economically and those "Concerned citizens" just need to bite their tongues. 3 nights out of their 365 this year they'll have to deal with us. And if I may...........ah, poor babies. U2 is performing next door and business is booming for a week. BUT I WANT TO SLEEP!!!!!!! Life's too short to sleep, we all have 75 laps around the sun if we're lucky, learn to roll with the punches.

Your joking right?? :banghead:

They live next to an 80,000 seat STADIUM. I suppose if it were a nice garden or museum (neither of which Nickelback would play at) I could better understand their moronic disbelief. Oh and stadiums can't speak......

Plain and simple fact is can't make everybody happy all of the time. What was built first, the stadium or the surrounding neighborhood? Anyone who chooses to live in the neighborhoods around the stadium need to expect noise and crowds during events. In the sam etoken, fans attending events at the stadium, stadium management and employees as well as athletes and performers also should respect the surrounding neighborhoods by not pissing on things and trampling over property. There CAN be compromise. That stadium was built to stimulate the economy of Dublin and the surrounding areas so there really shouldn't be much complaint. If there is, the disgruntled should move away & choose somewhere else to live.

Your joking right?? :banghead:

They live next to an 80,000 seat STADIUM. I suppose if it were a nice garden or museum (neither of which Nickelback would play at) I could better understand their moronic disbelief. Oh and stadiums can't speak......

You people are the most selfish people on earth, an agreement was signed saying 3 concerts a year. Yet U2 go ahead and break that agreement without even applying for planning permission, if I was the residents I'd be pissed off even if I liked U2. What was the point of the agreement in the first place if apparently it doesn't matter at all and bands can do whatever the hell they want?

Look I totally agree at the end of the day you should never move next to a stadium in the first place if you can't handle it...whoever can handle it stay :|

Where is proof of said agreement? I really cannot see U2 or an affiliate breaking such a blatant agreement.

Didn't you read the article?

"In 1992, Croke Park was granted permission to hold three concerts per year. However, the events are subject to a council approved management plan and licensing."

It's common knowledge there is a three gig limit on Croke park, and U2 probably could of gotten away with it without controversy if they didn't just announce it without even getting permission.

I live in San Diego between Sea World and PetCo Park where the Padres play. Every night between Spring break and Labor Day we put up with firework displays that last approximately 20 mins. Sometimes the BOOMS shake the ground and walls and it's annoying but we deal with it. If it got to the point where I couldn't stand it I'd move. PetCo Park was voted to be built by residents and those of us around the park deal with the traffic, noise etc. because it brings value to our economy. Concerts and games have curfew limitations which are adhered to. Events at PetCo Park aren't year-round which is a Plus for us. We as a community just deal with it.

I have a fire station at the end of my street that is one of the busiest in the city. I live on a busy street with traffic, buses and sirens passing day and night. I live with it. If and when it gets to the point I can't tolerate it any longer I will move.

We all have choices and can choose where we live or where we don't want to live.

Didn't you read the article?

"In 1992, Croke Park was granted permission to hold three concerts per year. However, the events are subject to a council approved management plan and licensing."

It's common knowledge there is a three gig limit on Croke park, and U2 probably could of gotten away with it without controversy if they didn't just announce it without even getting permission.

No I didn't read it. Perhaps I should have before jumping into the debate. I still can't see U2's management making any announcements or decisions without checking licensing, agreements, etc. Besides, article or no, I don't believe everything I read.

How is a three concert limit different from a curfew? Hey if there's no difference between 3 nights and 4, then let's say there's no difference between finishing at 10:30 and finishing at 11. The simple fact is U2 should of got permission to do it first, they probably would of got it, the only reason they'll get it now is because the tickets are sold and the country can't afford to not give U2 permission

wow, i cannot get over the sense of entitlement in here.

what would you guys be saying to the residents, or if it was you, what would you be saying if it was coldplay, kanye west, radiohead....

yes, they moved in next to a stadium. not exactly a smart move, but they moved in knowing there are only three concerts per year and u2/livenation and croke park broke that agreement.

in the past the curfew has been 11 pm, i'd assume it's going to be the same this time around.

i mean i can see that yeah, they bought these houses knowing there was a stadium there. that's a simple fact. however, as it's been stated, they moved there knowing there was a law in place saying only three a year, so 362 days out of the year it's a non-issue. sure it's just one more day, just one more concert, but think how you'd feel if there was a loud party or something going on near where you lived, on a monday night no less. i don't think any celebrities are above the law, so it upsets me that someone in u2's camp, whether it's the band themselves, their management, whoever basically has the country by the balls. the tickets are selling like hotcakes, they'd be stupid to tell them they can't have the third show.

basically it boils down to not the third show itself, but the fact that someone dropped the ball in added the third date without getting authorization first. no matter what, that's a shitty thing to do imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom