July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hmm: I think a lot of those guys must not have read the brochure properly when they were buying their houses. They all seem to have missed the fact that theres this giant big bloody stadium in the neighbourhood, that hosts sports events etc every other week. How did they miss that? With businesses / shops etc closing all over the place at the moment, you would think that they might just bite their lip for once and accept the millions of dollars / euro that will flood the economy of this city over the next ten days. There is nothing else on this scale going on at the moment in Dublin. I would imagine that this will be the only weekend in the year when every hotel / restaurant / taxi firm / shop etc will make a decent profit. This moaning defies all logic. As I've mentioned here before, I have lived beside the stadium, and generally, the residents accept the fact that its there and everything that's associated with it. I just can't help feeling that if this was another band, there wouldn't be any complaints. I don't remember any complaints for Celine Dion, Neil Diamond, The Eagles, Take That or anyone else that played there in the recent past. Oh hold on, none of them are Irish! This smacks of classic Irish begrudgery, plain and simple.

Also, watch out for the bloody hypocritical residents selling drinks out of their back gardens on the days of the shows! And standing outside their doors to hear the music once everyone else has gone into the stadium! I think everyone travelling to Ireland for the concerts should bring a suitcase full of food and drink with them and sleep on the streets of Dublin for the weekend. Give the moaning assholes of this city exactly what they deserve - not a bloody cent. I'm sure U2 would then get a warmer welcome home the next time they decided to tour.

Rant over, off with the horns, on with the show etc

I don't remember any complaints for Celine Dion, Neil Diamond, The Eagles, Take That or anyone else that played there in the recent past.

Hmmm, that was the only doubt I had. I was curious to know if these complaints happened whenever there is a concert in this stadium or only when it's U2.

I live in Dublin (for last 2 years) and I am going to all 3 concerts. U2 changed my life and because of them moved here and tried Irish live.

I hear a lot of opinions about U2 almost every day. What usually say Irish people is: "Bono speaks too much" , that he is hipocrite, pay taxes in Netherslands instead od Ireland. Those people for all theirs live heared hunders of stories about U2 and they often have enough them. If anything interesting (or even not interesting) happen in relation to U2 its in all nawspapers. I am not suprised that they are tired of them.

There are not too many world-famous people from Ireland except U2. I asked one of my collegues about St Patrick - he aswered: "Bono is asshole and St. Patrick is Scotish! Fuck them all!" :macdevil:

i loathe ryanair... is this thread about The Dubliners? I love Ronnie Drew but think I came here by mistake.

:hmm: I think a lot of those guys must not have read the brochure properly when they were buying their houses. They all seem to have missed the fact that theres this giant big bloody stadium in the neighbourhood, that hosts sports events etc every other week. How did they miss that? With businesses / shops etc closing all over the place at the moment, you would think that they might just bite their lip for once and accept the millions of dollars / euro that will flood the economy of this city over the next ten days. There is nothing else on this scale going on at the moment in Dublin. I would imagine that this will be the only weekend in the year when every hotel / restaurant / taxi firm / shop etc will make a decent profit. This moaning defies all logic. As I've mentioned here before, I have lived beside the stadium, and generally, the residents accept the fact that its there and everything that's associated with it. I just can't help feeling that if this was another band, there wouldn't be any complaints. I don't remember any complaints for Celine Dion, Neil Diamond, The Eagles, Take That or anyone else that played there in the recent past. Oh hold on, none of them are Irish! This smacks of classic Irish begrudgery, plain and simple.

Also, watch out for the bloody hypocritical residents selling drinks out of their back gardens on the days of the shows! And standing outside their doors to hear the music once everyone else has gone into the stadium! I think everyone travelling to Ireland for the concerts should bring a suitcase full of food and drink with them and sleep on the streets of Dublin for the weekend. Give the moaning assholes of this city exactly what they deserve - not a bloody cent. I'm sure U2 would then get a warmer welcome home the next time they decided to tour.

Rant over, off with the horns, on with the show etc

The relationship between band and home audience has changed since the 1980s, and I agree that begrudgery plays a part.

Love 'em or hate 'em...I could not care less what the general public of Ireland thinks of Bono and U2.

Fact is that I'm leaving tomorrow morning to see U2 in DUBLIN. :applaud: Yahoo! See you on Friday. :wave:

Leaving in two days! :hyper: And I just started packing :uhoh: I always leave everything until the last minute.

I leave in a few hours and have not started packing either. Grabbed my tickets, passport, cash and a few clean pairs of undies...the rest it just details! :D

Wow this thread has really picked up these last few days. I cannot imagine why... :D

I cannot wait to meet all the Interference members and other U2 fans. I have my 2 U2 shirts (still looking for my other one), one from Vertigo and one from U2.com ready... My LL Bean boots have just arrived today!! So bring on the rain!

I'm just still waiting for my rental cell phone to arrive. I hope it's going to arrive either Monday or Tuesday, because I leave on Wednesday!! Oh, the stress!

I hope the weather here is going to be good on Wednesday so we won't have flight delays/cancellations. That would totally shoot the stress level through the stratosphere!

in exactly one week from now i will be in the inner circle getting soaked by the rain. thankfully i have no need to fly for 7 hours, just a 3 hour bus journey which im not lookin forward to but the excitement of the gathering and the 2 shows will ease the pain:applaud::wink::lol:

Ah, a fellow northerner. Yeah i've a two hour train journey (from the not so wonderful portadown) providing the enterprise doesnt break down. I think you may have more luck with the bus. I dont care if its sunny or pissing down in dublin, im just glad i've got the chance to see U2 again. Which two shows are you going to?

fly out from Heathrow Thursday lunchtime- stupid Ryan Air don't offer decently timed return flights anymore from Bristol (which is about 30 minutes away) so have to dry 2 hours east and then fly back over the same bit of country

still hey ho- next Friday, Saturday & Monday will (hopefully) be in the inner claw having a great time and it will all so be worth it

oh and mmm bring something warm- temps are forecast down to 14 degrees centigrade for next Thursday- with heavy rain showers- ha ha ha we're all gonna get wet!:D:D

Wow this thread has really picked up these last few days. I cannot imagine why... :D

I cannot wait to meet all the Interference members and other U2 fans. I have my 2 U2 shirts (still looking for my other one), one from Vertigo and one from U2.com ready... My LL Bean boots have just arrived today!! So bring on the rain!

I'm just still waiting for my rental cell phone to arrive. I hope it's going to arrive either Monday or Tuesday, because I leave on Wednesday!! Oh, the stress!

I hope the weather here is going to be good on Wednesday so we won't have flight delays/cancellations. That would totally shoot the stress level through the stratosphere!

i'm waiting for my cell to come too. They old me 3-5 days and that was on Thursday. I hope they shipped it Friday.

I'm going to check the weather on the 11pm news

Leaving in two days! :hyper: And I just started packing :uhoh: I always leave everything until the last minute.

I'm not going to start packing until Tuesday night and I leave Wednesday. I have all Wednesday morning and the beginning of the afternoon to pack

still good enough that you can go to saturday's show! You should just stop by Croke Park as soon as you arrive on Friday night...:hyper:

Was thinking about that. From the time I land and the travel time into Dublin though it might be finished by then.

Not too fussed though if I don't make it. Just happy to be going on Saturday, am sooo lucky for that. :drool::love:

It will probably be choatic too trying to find people when everyone is leaving the stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom