July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if I can survive going to Georgia Dome and Turner Field in some of the roughest parts of Atlanta, I think I can handle this.

how is the neighborhood compare to Lansdowne Road? I went to a football match there the last time.

Lansdowne Road is in a very posh area comparatively. U2's concerts in 1997 were there, IIRC. The interesting thing is that the rugby and soccer matches have been relocated to Croker while Lansdowne Road is being renovated, so all the posh rugby southsiders have to cross the Liffey. :wink: Croke Park is a much better stadium than Lansdowne, by far, but as I said Lansdowne is in a nicer locale.

Was it a soccer or a rugby match you went to? Who was playing?

vjacq...Yes, that link goes to the Messrs Maquire..Looks pretty good to me?

j123...Good idea on the advance call to reserve a few tables...So, how many spots do we need?...any ideas anyone?...If it's like Vertigo Hawaii we all ended up taking over the entire Dukes bar...

By the way, don't get any ideas about pushing all the tables together to collect on the free round....I'm going to go broke buying that round for a held spot...ha ha...

My hotel's along the Quays...are they any dicier than riding the BART from downtown San Fran to an Oasis concert in Oakland at the Oracle arena? (now that's an exeprience!)

Glad to see all the "ayes" for the get together...Can't wait!

:huh: this makes me nervous. i'm staying around the croke park area, somewhere around the lower part of grace park road. is it a safe enough area to walk through at night after a concert?

You will be safe walking home after the concerts, as financeguy said, there will be a very heavy police presence, as well as the fact that you
will have safety in numbers. I wouldn't advise walking around the area alone on a night of no concert, you would be safer taking a taxi. I used to live beside the stadium, the area has gotten a lot rougher in the past 5-7 years.

In Dublin, there are generally less junkies on the south side than the north side but no area is really 100% free of them. The one area I would avoid is the boardwalk along the river liffey. This tends to be the main hang out area for junkies / drug dealers and you would be safer walking along the paths than using the boardwalk. If any of you are planning on visiting Hanover Quay, you would be safer taking a bus from the city centre than walking also (especially if you are on your own). it should cost less than €2 to get there and the bus stops right beside it

Is the boardwalk safe during the day?

Yes it's safe once you're vigilant and don't have any valuables on display etc. It just seems to be the main hang out area for junkies and winos. The police here are turning a blind eye to the drug dealing etc that's going on there. I've never had any problems there but as it's close to the areas you guys are talking about, I thought I'd let you know, especially for anyone travelling on their own.

This may be a kind of odd question but to any of those reading this thread who have been to Croke Park before, what kind of concessions (food, drink) are offered there and estimate cost of some items would be helpful, pref. in EUR....I'm trying to figure out how much money I should exchange and how much I'll use my debit or American Express cards.

Thanks!

ETA I also agree about someone just stepping up and making a decision where and when to have a gathering and just see who shows up....I'd rather trust info from someone who lives there, hoping they're not chavs giving bad advice. I do feel avoiding Temple Bar and the "tourist" area is wise. I'd step up to make the decision and set things up if I knew for sure I could be there but since I am relying on friends I'm staying with to get me around I don't feel it would be fair for me to take on the organizing responsibility. I do hope I can make it to whatever is organized wherever it is.

mmmm I think they only took cash at Croke in 2005- but may be wrong with that- I only took euros with me to the concerts. T shirts were about 25-30 euros and food/drink was quite reasonably priced (but then I'm used to the mainland UK rip off for this stuff)

yes they do take off the bottle tops but there are ways round that- let them take the top off the bottle you have and then have a spare in a pocket or something like that.

someone asked about security- it's fine on concert days- there is heavy police presence in and around the stadium- there will be no problems at all- but I definitely wouldn't venture down there alone- even in daylight hours

as for the weather forecast- dismal for the next 5 days

temps between 17-20 degrees and rain/ heavy showers each day

which is pretty much what you should expect in 2 weeks time

Thanks! I will make sure to stay away from the boardwalk. I do not handle winos and junkies well, which means I can easily end up in a lot of trouble because I tend to go off on people who pester me on the streets.

I'm the same way, especially here at home, but it's not wise to do that while travelling and smart not to venture out alone if you can help it. Also I've learned it's wise NOT to look like a tourist. Dress and act as the locals do wherever you are so as not to call attention to your self. If you "stick out" at all meaning anything that looks obviously or noticeably different or out of place sets you as a target basically. Always be vigilant, and travel smart. best to be safe than sorry.

mmmm I think they only took cash at Croke in 2005- but may be wrong with that- I only took euros with me to the concerts. T shirts were about 25-30 euros and food/drink was quite reasonably priced (but then I'm used to the mainland UK rip off for this stuff)

yes they do take off the bottle tops but there are ways round that- let them take the top off the bottle you have and then have a spare in a pocket or something like that.

someone asked about security- it's fine on concert days- there is heavy police presence in and around the stadium- there will be no problems at all- but I definitely wouldn't venture down there alone- even in daylight hours

as for the weather forecast- dismal for the next 5 days

temps between 17-20 degrees and rain/ heavy showers each day

which is pretty much what you should expect in 2 weeks time

I really appreciate the pricing info. I'm taking cash to the concert IN TWO WEEKS FROM TONITE!!!!! I am SO excited!! :hyper: My friends advised to wear long sleeves and carry a jacket as it'll be cold at night especially after the concert. I'm ready for rain too. I just don't like to slosh around in wet shoes and have to be careful not to slip or I'll surely hurt an ankle or my back which I can hurt so easily if I lost my footing.

I am packed and ready to go.....the waiting is killing me!!

How is public transportation?
I am staying at the Maldron Hotel Citywest, Naas Road, Dublin 22 which is 17km from Croke Park. Will it be easy to get back and forth? (I am going to all three shows)

Hey folks, I would like to ask:
I've seen U2 in Brazil and when they arrived there were a lot of fans at the airport waiting. They stopped to greet the fans, gave autographs and etc. Is there any chance that they are doing this in Dublin? Have they done this last time?
I really don't know what's the norm there. Or is it so overwhelming for the airport (since there's so many fans there) that the band prefer not to stop, leaving without being seen?
Any of you will try something like that? Is there any other place where there's any chance to catch them and try to get autographs and stuff?

If anyone could answer, I would be really thankful. :D

im 100% in for the gathering, think it will be a good nights craic with the excitement of the show on friday.

Are there many going down to Queue up on friday morning, myself and 1 other are thinking of heading down at 10-11 in the morning to make sure we get into the pit at the front. I was thinking that if there was a group of us then it would be a bit more fun.

How is public transportation?
I am staying at the Maldron Hotel Citywest, Naas Road, Dublin 22 which is 17km from Croke Park. Will it be easy to get back and forth? (I am going to all three shows)

You can get a tram from either the Red Cow or Kingswood stations to Connolly Station, which is near the grounds.( http://www.luas.ie/network-map.php ) However, first you will need to get to the tram station: there could be a bus - your hotel can advise - but personally I would advise a taxi for this leg TBH. You need to allow for at least 1hr 15mins total travelling time each way, so be aware of this if you want to be at the concert early. A taxi the whole way would cost around €40, I'd guess.

Alternatively you could probably get a bus all the way to the city centre.

Hey folks, I would like to ask:
I've seen U2 in Brazil and when they arrived there were a lot of fans at the airport waiting. They stopped to greet the fans, gave autographs and etc. Is there any chance that they are doing this in Dublin? Have they done this last time?
I really don't know what's the norm there. Or is it so overwhelming for the airport (since there's so many fans there) that the band prefer not to stop, leaving without being seen?
Any of you will try something like that? Is there any other place where there's any chance to catch them and try to get autographs and stuff?

If anyone could answer, I would be really thankful. :D

Wouldn't consider it likely to be honest.

Not yet. I'm going to do it the day before I leave. I leave on the 22nd, so I'll pack on the 21st. I have work all next weekend and on Monday the 20th. I have my suitcase and carry-on bag out and I'm putting stuff next to them. I just started my 2nd sign. It reads Party Girl for the Birthday Girl. I made a back up just in case they play that the night before because I know they won't play it 2 nights in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom