July 16, 17, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:sad: Well atleast we have several weeks before the Montreal dates...I feel so bad for the SLC fans and probably California too!

:wave: that would be me.

This is part of the reason I try to see them at the beginning and end of the Leg. I'm hoping to still have Mpls., Montreal and NJ.

Really sucks to have had SLC plans though. Anaheim's not looking good either.

:ohmy:Wow. I'll still hold off on booking my flight out until the official statement.

Sincerely wishing Bono a healthy recovery

If the tour is postponed to next year,that would mean the shows will be moved to the Big O.

...........and that will suck,big time.

:crack::scream: You are not kidding...there had been discussions earlier in this thread about how bad the acoustics were in there. However, they could fit nearly 80,000 people in there...I read that Pink Floyd had 78,000 people.

July shows won't be postponed, we can pretty much assume that. That would be SO much money wasted

SMB

Does anyone know in the Montreal area if they stopped construction at the Hippodrome???:ohmy:

:sad: Well atleast we have several weeks before the Montreal dates...I feel so bad for the SLC fans and probably California too!

:wave: that would be me.

I am sorry that your shows are up in the air...if the Montreal shows go forward, you will have a blast. Montreal crowds have a reputation of being LOUD!!!:hyper:

July shows won't be postponed, we can pretty much assume that. That would be SO much money wasted

SMB

I would think they would put Bono's well-being over money.

But I'm sure they were making progress on the stadium, since the shows are less than two months away. It'd probably have to be really bad, considering all that is going into it, to change the date or cancel or whatever.
I hope he isn't hurt that badly :(

Heh, yeah I meant Canada, not Montreal. And don't worry, I'm a pro at crossing borders. :sexywink: Don't know how I could join a union, though...

Actually, Quebec has some of their own immigration laws, if I'm not mistaken - if you can brush up on your French, you'll improve your odds :yes:

Of course, this may all prove to be a moot point :shrug:

I wouldn't think they'd use the big-o, because I don't think you could put 40000 GA on the floor. They couldn't downgrade tickets to seats. This will be my family's first two GA experiences and we don't want to be disappointed.
U2 and its promoters would have to find another piece of land to put these shows on.

Let's keep our crossables crossed that things will be okay for everyone's behalf.

:up: This will be my first GA experience too. I am hoping that Bono is getting the rest and strength he needs to heal quickly...

I have been thinking all weekend about Montreal concert sites should the tour be cancelled or if the Hippodrome site gets canned so I am really going out on a limb with this question/thought...please help me out here Montrealers. :reject: If the tour is cancelled for this year or if Hippodrome site is canned, how big are the crowds at the St-Jean-sur- Richelieu Balloon Festival??? Been there a couple of times in the past and the airport (and crowds) seems huge...:hmm: It is just a thought...

For those who have already booked their flights / made their travel plans, even if the U2 shows are cancelled, you can visit the great city of Montreal. In addition, La Juste de Rire - Just for Laughs festival - will be taking place from July 17-25. It's a great time to be in the city.

Alternatively, you could make the drive to Ottawa (less than two hours) to attend the Ottawa Bluesfest, which takes place from July 7 to 18 this year. The weekends (Saturday and Sunday) have a full lineup of music, beginning at noon and ending at 11:00 PM.

Or, make the drive Quebec City - about 2.5 hours from Montreal.

For those who have already booked their flights / made their travel plans, even if the U2 shows are cancelled, you can visit the great city of Montreal. In addition, La Juste de Rire - Just for Laughs festival - will be taking place from July 17-25. It's a great time to be in the city.

Alternatively, you could make the drive to Ottawa (less than two hours) to attend the Ottawa Bluesfest, which takes place from July 7 to 18 this year. The weekends (Saturday and Sunday) have a full lineup of music, beginning at noon and ending at 11:00 PM.

Or, make the drive Quebec City - about 2.5 hours from Montreal.

thanks :) my wife and I are thinking about bluesfest and quebec city

thanks :) my wife and I are thinking about bluesfest and quebec city

Quebec City is beautiful in the summer time, and it would make a very nice romantic holiday for you and your wife. I highly recommend it.

I live in Ottawa. My wife and I have been attending Bluesfest for the past 6 years. So if you and anyone else will be here, send me a PM and we can hook up. Lots of greats this year as always, but the latest rumours (FWIW) are that Neil Young will be here (announcement expected this week) and possibly Pearl Jam.

It wouldn't be too hard to build a temp stadium elsewhere in a field outside the city

SMB

This is my thought process about a different site. The band Phish performed its finale concert in 2004 in a rural area in Vermont. They took a farm and an airport and converted into a festival site for about 68,000 people for 2-3 days... Why can't something like that be done in the Montreal area? If Phish can make it happen in rural Vermont, U2 should be able to make it happen in the immediate Montreal area if the Hippodrome site is lost...

quebec city is beautiful in the summer time, and it would make a very nice romantic holiday for you and your wife. I highly recommend it.

I live in ottawa. My wife and i have been attending bluesfest for the past 6 years. So if you and anyone else will be here, send me a pm and we can hook up. Lots of greats this year as always, but the latest rumours (fwiw) are that neil young will be here (announcement expected this week) and possibly pearl jam.

neil young?!?!?!

The information I have gathered suggests the Montreal shows are definetely going to happen as planned. That is all.

This is my thought process about a different site. The band Phish performed its finale concert in 2004 in a rural area in Vermont. They took a farm and an airport and converted into a festival site for about 68,000 people for 2-3 days... Why can't something like that be done in the Montreal area? If Phish can make it happen in rural Vermont, U2 should be able to make it happen in the immediate Montreal area if the Hippodrome site is lost...

Why are u2 spending a couple million site building fee for the currently scheduled Montreal show when they don't have to?

I don't think the 360 claw is designed to be seen in a field. Plus where do all the fans who paid $100-$250 go? Also consider the age demo of u2 vs. Phish.

Plus there's quite a different traffic situation of a Phish concert where campers slowly arrive/disperse over the course of the weekend to different directions. For u2 there'd be 25,000 cars going in one direction after the show.

^^I'm thinking the same thing! What was supposed to be built at the site after the concerts? Someone on here mentioned that U2 had a "piece" of it...if that's true, maybe development will be postponed too and we'll still get our summer weekend in Monteal...next year!

I definitely expected a total NA leg postponement. I guess nothing about this surgery was exaggerated. Bono must be even more devastated than anyone here. I hope he makes a full recovery above anything else! :heart:

Good news.Evenko spokesperson just confirm that the shows will take place at the hippodrome next summer.

:up:

Why do I get a really bad feeling about this. I'm only going to believe it once the dates and the venue are posted. Otherwise, it seems to me unless they make the stage smaller it won't fit in any other place in the city of Montreal. That is because as far as I know the Hippodrome won't be vacant next year, isn't it true? As far as I know a new project was supposed to take place in that area after the show took place and after the "stadium' was demolished.
Whatever, at this point we just have to wait.
I hope Bono recovers well. It seemed to be very painful, his leg paralyzed and everything... It wasn't pretty.

hey guys.... I forgot who I bought my ticket from for the second show to... PLEASE DO NOT cancel it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom