Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wording in the U2.com email for the Q&A was interesting:

"Catch the band live from the studio...
Answering your questions"

Either teasing people by inferring they may play, or deliberately leaving it open. Perhaps they have been rehearsing early so they can play something for this Q&A?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As much as I'd like that to be true, I think it just means this live Facebook thing will be broadcast from a studio (Where they're probably working on SoE). It's likely just a convenient place for all 4 of them to be at the same time, plus publicly presents them as rehearsing/recording. I doubt anything will be played.

I think the bigger point is that rock shows in general are in the shitter. So U2 still seems to be defying that gravity. GNR, Kings of Leon, Metallica, and other well known smaller bands are sitting with half sold venues. RHCP are doing well selling arenas, and I'm sure Green Day will sell well. But it's tough out there...
U2 isn't struggling to sell tickets though... Only in a few shitty markets like Pittsburgh, which frankly always struggles.

U2 isn't struggling to sell tickets though... Only in a few shitty markets like Pittsburgh, which frankly always struggles.

Just like with Pop Mart, right? Maybe this is a good thing! Look what happened last time a few shows didn't do well: they spent 15 years playing it safe! Now, the ultimate safe play isn't working out, and combined with the Pop anniversary articles praising their daring (even though it didn't always work) this could make them go back to their old ways of not playing it safe. They basically have achievement dysmorphic disorder, so if they perceive this non-failure as a failure it might set them right again!

Exactly. U2 is one of the few rock bands that are selling very well. I think they will end up with 2 shows that aren't sellouts on a stadium tour. And those two shows are in very soft markets, especially with Pitt and Cleveland fighting against eachother... And still able to do multiple nights in stadiums on some stops is quite impressive, especially considering they just toured not that long ago.

Just like with Pop Mart, right? Maybe this is a good thing! Look what happened last time a few shows didn't do well: they spent 15 years playing it safe! Now, the ultimate safe play isn't working out, and combined with the Pop anniversary articles praising their daring (even though it didn't always work) this could make them go back to their old ways of not playing it safe. They basically have achievement dysmorphic disorder, so if they perceive this non-failure as a failure it might set them right again!

No, not like PopMart at all.

Almost every show is sold out. Only Pittsburgh and Louisville are struggling, and even the "struggling" Pittsburgh is still light-years ahead of their PopMart struggles.

Pittsburgh, in general, is a shitty concert market.

Generally speaking this tour, commercially, is a huge success - and not like PopMart at all.

Last edited:
it's not about reality, Headache. It's about their deranged perception of it.

Also, Popmart was a huge commercial success. At the time it was the fifth highest grossing tour of all time, and they were only outdrawn by the Stones and Pink Floyd.

I also have to say that they are not without competition as well. To have GNR, Metallica, RHCP's, Greenday, Depeche Mode, Roger Waters, etc... along with multitudes of festivals through the summer, there is huge crossover in fanbases, and no one has time and money for them all...

Also, Popmart was a huge commercial success. At the time it was the fifth highest grossing tour of all time, and they were only outdrawn by the Stones and Pink Floyd.

Well, they got great press for this tour, selling 1.2 million tickets the first day or whatever it was. With Popmart, they got beaten down in the press, as they all jumped on the Pop-bashing bandwagon. And then they had to go out and play to some quarter empty stadiums... which had to feel like shit for them.

This is a completely different ballgame. They may have two shows that are not quite 90% full. And they don't have to go out each night wondering how the new material is received. So I think there egos are quite in tact this time around.

This tour is NOTHING like Popmart. Pittsburgh will be the only show that is noticeably not sold out. Even Louisville will fill out halfway decently, you'll see. U2 sold poorly in Pittsburgh on Zoo TV (39,000) and Popmart (27,000), and I'm sure there will be at least 45,000 tickets sold this time. There were 55,000 in Pittsburgh for 360, and there were quite a few empty seats at that show in the upper level. I'd guess at least 5,000 unsold seats if not more. It didn't matter, and the band came back.

Popmart had abysmal sales, and not just in little backwater college towns like Clemson either. Big cities like Denver, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Seattle etc all had half full stadiums. Tampa and Jacksonville had under 20,000 tickets sold each. This tour is a runaway success compared to basically anything except the 360 tour.

But it's nothing like PopMart whatsoever, in reality or in perception... Unless it's your own perception, which I can do nothing about.

PopMart was plagued with terribly attended shows. This tour is not. There's one show that might be 80-90% filled. PopMart has multiple shows with less than 50% attendance, including one that was outright cancelled.

They're not remotely close.

As for the band's perception? I think the SOI/Apple diaster was closer to PopMart in how they perceived it, and how it's percieved by the media and the casual fan.

This tour is akin to the Greatest Hits of the 80s/Sweetest Thing release... wash the taste out of the bad press. What remains to be seen is if they can follow up with another All That You Can't Leave Behind moment (meant as in a rebirth, not necessarily as in the sound of the album).

My instinct is no, they can't. At least not on that scale. But I think they'd be happy just to release an album that people like and talk about ONLY because of the music.

Last edited:
This tour is akin to the Greatest Hits of the 80s/Sweetest Thing release... wash the taste out of the bad press. What remains to be seen is if they can follow up with another All That You Can't Leave Behind moment (meant as in a rebirth, not necessarily as in the sound of the album).

My instinct is no, they can't. At least not on that scale. But I think they'd be happy just to release an album that people like and talk about ONLY because of the music.

Right. This tour is to jump-start interest in the band, as was the BEST OF 80's release leading up to ATYCLB.

To simply follow up SOI with a SOE release would probably not go over as well as it will after the JT tour is completed.

You may be right that they can't capture the magic again as they did in 2000/2001. But I have a feeling they can, just not in quite the same way.

If anything, this tour is a barometer as to how many out there still care, at least here in the U.S.

I think a lot of bands wish they had U2's "problem" with popularity. :giggle:

Since most of us check this area the most and my question does have to do with U2 touring,
I was wondering... How many total tickets have U2 sold over their career? My best estimate is about 23 million??? If we add the new JT tour on, about 25 million?

NOt sure if anyone has those stats on hand. I have pretty solid numbers for Joshua Tree through now, but very sketchy for UF and before..

That said, does any other band even approach this amount?

I don't think it's a question of whether or not they are able to. I think it's more the fact that the history has been written/damage done, if you will.

They could write a gem... it still wouldn't be cool to like U2. Point being that they're no longer leaders of new sound in popular music. If they conform, they look like twats. If they don't and make decent music, it probably won't be crazy popular.

I definitely agree with your second point. "Lots of big hits" died with Boots. They just want people to hear it/like it/they want an Oscar.

But it's nothing like PopMart whatsoever, in reality or in perception... Unless it's your own perception, which I can do nothing about.

PopMart was plagued with terribly attended shows. This tour is not. There's one show that might be 80-90% filled. PopMart has multiple shows with less than 50% attendance, including one that was outright cancelled.

They're not remotely close.

As for the band's perception? I think the SOI/Apple diaster was closer to PopMart in how they perceived it, and how it's percieved by the media and the casual fan.

I know it's nothing like Popmart because I am sane. U2, on the other hand, are nuts. Sure, there were some Popmart shows that had poor attendance, but ffs did they think something that arty would do well in...Salt Lake City?

Popmart was the fifth highest grossing tour of all time. In no way can sane people consider that to be a failure. Poor attendance in some markets does not mean that the whole thing was a failure.

I don't think they'll another 2000/01 moment either. They were lucky to even get that. And yes, I agree that it's playing the same role as Sweetest Thing. That song being a bigger hit than anything on Pop encouraged them to play it safe and this tour is the culmination of that ethos. The 1980-1990 best of is the great marker in U2's career.

This is the band 4th presence in North America in 9 years.And a 5th presence in 10 years next year with SOE.

No wonder this tour isn't soldout,even with an iconic album like TJT.

Last edited:
Since when was an appearance every two years on average considered to be a lot? Billy Joel is out there every single year and he still sells.

Since most of us check this area the most and my question does have to do with U2 touring,
I was wondering... How many total tickets have U2 sold over their career? My best estimate is about 23 million??? If we add the new JT tour on, about 25 million?

NOt sure if anyone has those stats on hand. I have pretty solid numbers for Joshua Tree through now, but very sketchy for UF and before..

That said, does any other band even approach this amount?

Whoops, i forgot ZooTV in there.
So their total is about 28.5 million and 30.5 million with the upcoming tour so far...

It does look like the Stones have them beat so far with a bit over 31 million of the 7 tours i could find, which means U2 are a distant 2nd...

Am I the ONLY one out here that loved Boots?

Sometimes I feel so alone in the universe.

I believe so...
Not that the song in and of itself is horrible. Its ok. To me, it just didn't represent the album - at ALL.

I think if Magnificent would have come first, it may have given the album as a whole a better reception.

Like Miracle with SOI, ok song, it just landed with a thud.

I believe so...
Not that the song in and of itself is horrible. Its ok. To me, it just didn't represent the album - at ALL.

I think if Magnificent would have come first, it may have given the album as a whole a better reception.

Like Miracle with SOI, ok song, it just landed with a thud.

I agree completely about Miracle. However, I understand why that was chosen to kick-off the release: They love to open with a rocker.

As far as NLOTH is concerned, I would have released the singles in the following order:

No Line On The Horizon
Moment Of Surrender (full version - no edit)
Breathe

Then, if needed, they could have released Boots or Magnificent or Crazy.

I like Boots, tho I understand the POV of not representing the album

I love Miracle! It goes from a quiet to kick-ass opening, like the melody and love how they play it, Edge's sawtooth gutair, Adam's bass a hovering boom in the silence at one point, Bono'e doing a good job on the singing. Was very happy to have it kick off the album and the show. :up:

Vertigo is great.
Boots is not.
Miracle I've warmed to a bit, despite the clunky title/lyrics. It seemed to grow in confidence as the tour went on.

Since when was an appearance every two years on average considered to be a lot?

Since they weren't fucking touring anywhere else.

You're not the world's biggest band if you barely get beyond North America or Western Europe. You're not the world's biggest band if your idea of a risky market is mythical Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom