Interference Random Movie Talk X: Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. The thing I like the most about the Nolan series is that it pulls from so many different sources or storylines without adapting one singular text - a little Dark Victory/Long Halloween here, a little Killing Joke there, and so on. If something like TDKR were to happen, it would have to be after the DC Universe has asserted itself as a viable film series. I can't imagine it without the presence of Superman or Green Arrow, but you'd have to have it fit their chronology as well.

Plus, it was the best title I could think of for that particular film, which is by no means definitive.

DC still owns the Miller property, so a straight-up adaptation is always a possibility. Of course, the current series would have to finish its arc (I'm not sure how many films Bale was signed for, but I doubt he would have agreed to more than four), and like you said, a fleshed-out DC Universe would help. Unfortunately, there haven't been a lot of great DC movies to accomplish that. Their Superman reboot (which I thought was decent) was considered a failure and all the principal cast/crew are not returning. Who knows what the status of Wonder Woman is, the Green Arrow project doesn't look very interesting, and Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern gives me a little pause.

Of course, the animated DC stuff seems popular and well-done, but is that going to translate to the general public knowing these characters? I still think it could be very successful, but at this point I'm not sure there's an older actor that would be good for this.

DC still owns the Miller property, so a straight-up adaptation is always a possibility. Of course, the current series would have to finish its arc (I'm not sure how many films Bale was signed for, but I doubt he would have agreed to more than four), and like you said, a fleshed-out DC Universe would help. Unfortunately, there haven't been a lot of great DC movies to accomplish that. Their Superman reboot (which I thought was decent) was considered a failure and all the principal cast/crew are not returning. Who knows what the status of Wonder Woman is, the Green Arrow project doesn't look very interesting, and Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern gives me a little pause.

Of course, the animated DC stuff seems popular and well-done, but is that going to translate to the general public knowing these characters? I still think it could be very successful, but at this point I'm not sure there's an older actor that would be good for this.

I'm guessing that this Batman will be the last Nolan/Bale one, maybe you'd get supporting players to carry over like the Alfred Gough-Alfred or Pat Hingle-Gordon did with the original 4 live action films, but who knows?

Superman Returns is a literal pile of meh: it relied too much on the Donner films to stand on its own, yet tried to be a reboot, there's almost nothing memorable about it. Give the same cast/crew another shot and you'd get an infinitely better film. George Miller's Justice League movie was apparently going to jump-start the other DC heroes, but who knows about any of them besides Green Lantern at this point?

The animated route would be the best way to go, and just have Kevin Conroy gruff it up and do it. Problem solved. Green Lantern: First Flight, Superman: Doomsday, and Batman/Superman: Public Enemies were all incredibly well-received upon release by the few who saw it. Let Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, and the other Batman: Animated Series guys handle it and you're solid.

Good call on that casting. I used to be a huge, huge Mariotti fan when he first started and I was still living in Chicago. Mainly because he wasn't your typical idiotic Chicago sports fan who finds no fault with the city's teams. He openly criticized Ditka (and arguably spearheaded the man's eventual firing), as well as the Bulls during their championship runs.

A breath of fresh air in that city in the early 90's, believe me. Though he certainly seemed to have turned into a caricature when I later saw him regularly on Around the Horn.

I've only known Mariotti from his recent work on ATH and now his Internet column, but he comes off as a massive douche. Generally he takes the high and mighty outlook on most issues, and finds fault with pretty much everyone.

That's interesting, though, because I'm used to the local writers in Philly, and the majority of them (case in point is a guy named Bob Ford) are either pessimistic or reactionary. I can't really think of any company men in the bunch, even though most of them are shitty writers. In fact, the only two guys I like at either paper are the two really young Phillies beat writers, because they base their articles on objective observation, statistical analysis, and facts as opposed to conjecture based on nostalgia and their conversations with so-and-so.

Did anyone watch that Cameron thing? I know it's not genius but there are definitely a few funny parts. Namely, the Bay scene and the one where he picks up the jump drive from the effects guy.

The link took me to a trailer for Landline's upcoming slate, not the Cameron video.

"We're not calling ANYBODY, Susie!"

Yeah, that was a sketch. Not throwing a Zemeckis joke in there is a missed opportunity, but yes, the Michael Bay dicksucking joke delivered.

Double post.

Also, it's time to call Cousin Sal talk about this week's betting lines.

Double post.

Also, it's time to call Cousin Sal talk about this week's betting lines.

THREE AND A HALF? I can't believe that. They're home and they're coming off a great win against a team that Vegas underrates week after week. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT SAL!

I won that one. Alright, Atlanta-Philly...

^Personally, I'm getting alittle sick of these Super Hero movies...

I have a feeling we're all going to get pretty burnt out over the next few years if we haven't already. Considering just about every mainstream/semi-popular/completely-obscure comic book superhero franchise is in sort stage of Hollywood feature adaptation right now. Wouldn't be surprised if audiences started to really push back against all this given how saturated the market is going to get, and studio's will likely put the trend on hold for a bit after that happens.

Though apparently the next oncoming big thing in Hollywood is manga/anime adaptations. :crack:

Two or three years ago, a good friend of mine was in a campus bar at Illinois State University and talking casually to a chick he already knew. Like, just talking about class and so forth--no funny business of any kind. Everybody had had a few to drink, though, by this point, and her boyfriend (who was meeting her at the bar) didn't know who my friend was or why he and the girlfriend were separated from the group of friends, further down the bar, talking and laughing by themselves. Again, all parties were quite drunk.

Well, my buddy's back was to the entrance, and he didn't see the boyfriend come in, take stock, stalk towards them, grab my friend by the shoulder, turn him around, and blast him in the face with a right hook. Relatively unfazed and without missing a beat, my boy gets up, grabs his beer bottle, smashes it on the bar, points it at the dude, and shouts, "YOU WANNA GETS NUTS??? LET'S GET NUTS!!!"

Before anything else could happen, he was bumrushed by a cadre of employees/security types/level-headed folk and ejected from the bar. The guy who punched him in the face suffered no such fate.

For this story alone, I will forever love Michael Keaton as Batman.

Really? Not a single acknowledgment of this?

I have a feeling we're all going to get pretty burnt out over the next few years if we haven't already. Considering just about every mainstream/semi-popular/completely-obscure comic book superhero franchise is in sort stage of Hollywood feature adaptation right now. Wouldn't be surprised if audiences started to really push back against all this given how saturated the market is going to get, and studio's will likely put the trend on hold for a bit after that happens.

Though apparently the next oncoming big thing in Hollywood is manga/anime adaptations. :crack:

If they start to dip in quality and we get a series of Incredible Hulks coming out, then yes, I see it really bottoming-out. Warners bringing out Green Lantern as their first non-Batman/Superman major player is a little baffling to me, since it veers way more into the fantastical than even something like the Spidey or X-Men series, which seems about as far as general audiences are willing to take comic films at this point. A lot of what'll happen in the future hinges on the success of GL, I think.

I don't know if it'll necessarily effect a lot of these lesser-known properties like Jonah Hex or The Losers coming out, because of audience unfamiliarity, but we'll see. If a Lobo movie comes out before a Wonder Woman joint, holy shit.

Really? Not a single acknowledgment of this?

YTMND - Batman Buys Nuts!

If they start to dip in quality and we get a series of Incredible Hulks coming out, then yes, I see it really bottoming-out. Warners bringing out Green Lantern as their first non-Batman/Superman major player is a little baffling to me, since it veers way more into the fantastical than even something like the Spidey or X-Men series, which seems about as far as general audiences are willing to take comic films at this point. A lot of what'll happen in the future hinges on the success of GL, I think.

I don't know if it'll necessarily effect a lot of these lesser-known properties like Jonah Hex or The Losers coming out, because of audience unfamiliarity, but we'll see. If a Lobo movie comes out before a Wonder Woman joint, holy shit.

Good call on GL. Something tells me Martin Campbell wasn't the right pick for that one to really resonate with audiences. Someone with more... style might have been more appropriate.

I think Thor might prove the most important upcoming big picture, considering the unusual choices of talent and its ability to test audience's boundaries like you said.

Good call on GL. Something tells me Martin Campbell wasn't the right pick for that one to really resonate with audiences. Someone with more... style might have been more appropriate.

I think Thor might prove the most important upcoming big picture, considering the unusual choices of talent and its ability to test audience's boundaries like you said.

Yeah, he's a great action director, but certainly better suited to a character more grounded in reality; he would've been a better fit for The Incredible Hulk, come to think of it. James McTeigue would've been a solid choice, or maybe Matthew Vaughn, but he's already got Kick-Ass after hovering around X-Men and Superman for a while.

Regarding Thor, most definitely, especially after hearing how Thor's human counterpart won't factor into the story at all from different sources. How's that shit going to be integrated with Iron Man, The Hulk, and Captain America? We'll see.

If there won't be another Singer Superman, get Brad Bird on-board and Jon Hamm and Supes and you're in business.

Yeah, he's a great action director, but certainly better suited to a character more grounded in reality; he would've been a better fit for The Incredible Hulk, come to think of it. James McTeigue would've been a solid choice, or maybe Matthew Vaughn, but he's already got Kick-Ass after hovering around X-Men and Superman for a while.

McTeigue maybe. Although after Ninja Assassin I'm hoping V for Vendetta wasn't merely a fluke.

Vaughn would have been a good choice, but like you said, he's got Kick-Ass which seems poised to be a big success for him with any luck. In fact Vaughn is on my shortlist for the live-action Bebop movie, though certainly not my first choice.

And yeah, John Hamm was born to play Superman.

McTeigue maybe. Although after Ninja Assassin I'm hoping V for Vendetta wasn't merely a fluke.

Vaughn would have been a good choice, but like you said, he's got Kick-Ass which seems poised to be a big success for him with any luck. In fact Vaughn is on my shortlist for the live-action Bebop movie, though certainly not my first choice.

And yeah, John Hamm was born to play Superman.

Ninja Assassin wasn't that good? It looked gimmicky as hell, but I was hoping at least the action scenes were well-done.

I can't wait for Kick-Ass.

We'd be at a loss if THE HAMM! didn't at least play one superhero.

I know Edgar Wright's working on Ant-Man, but I'd love to see him do The Flash.

Ninja Assassin wasn't that good? It looked gimmicky as hell, but I was hoping at least the action scenes were well-done.

I can't wait for Kick-Ass.

We'd be at a loss if THE HAMM! didn't at least play one superhero.

I know Edgar Wright's working on Ant-Man, but I'd love to see him do The Flash.

I think I put a review in the review thread if you want to browse a couple pages. There were a number of cool conceptual things I liked about it, but it really didn't deliver in the choreography or camerawork in action scenes.

Indeed.

Don Draper is a superhero.

Edgar Wright has like 5 projects on the plate. Has he really indicated what he's planning on working on next explicitly? I really can't wait for Scott Pilgrim, despite my distaste for Michael Cera.

Incidentally, Wright is my first pick for Bebop as of now.

I'm pretty sure THE HAMM! may have been a very good Batman as well.

Also, the reason I didn't comment on Shouter's "Nuts!" story is that it pains me to be reminded of what I think is one of the 10 Worst Movie Moments of all time. It's all you need to see to understand why Keaton was completely wrong for that role.

I'm sitting here holding my Watchmen Director's Cut Blu-Ray, with nothing to play it on. Let's go, UPS.

I think I put a review in the review thread if you want to browse a couple pages. There were a number of cool conceptual things I liked about it, but it really didn't deliver in the choreography or camerawork in action scenes.

Indeed.

Don Draper is a superhero.

Edgar Wright has like 5 projects on the plate. Has he really indicated what he's planning on working on next explicitly? I really can't wait for Scott Pilgrim, despite my distaste for Michael Cera.

Incidentally, Wright is my first pick for Bebop as of now.

I'll go look for it.

I always forget that he's working on Scott Pilgrim, excited for that as well. Maybe in 10 years there will technology to insert Jesse Eisenberg into every worthwhile Cera project not named Arrested Development or Superbad. On second thought, there might not be a need for that.

Nick Frost as Bebop.

I'm sitting here holding my Watchmen Director's Cut Blu-Ray, with nothing to play it on. Let's go, UPS.

lonely-preschooler.jpg

You're a fucking liar.

Hellz no. Same guy who watched some fat chick slip on the ice and faceplant, on the way home from the bars (after urinating on a church), say to her, "Watch out, first step's a doozy," and then eat it even worse than she did. That Batman-related story, though, is one of the finer moments of anybody's life of which I know. Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom