Grammy Nominations 12-02-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung Baby didn't win Album of the year. :shrug: What matters is what people think of U2 when they quit and decades go by and their albums are still listened to. Time measures greatness more than current awards. That goes for Oscars as well.

Not really. Is this the same A Bigger Bang album the Stones would play 1 or 2 songs from live during the self titled tour. A Bigger Bang was a joke of an album. I'm a huge Stones fan, but since Mick & Keith have separate agendas the Stones don't give a damn about new music. All they care about is the box office $$$$.

Don't forget Bigger Bang came out in 2005/2006 and selling 3.5 million worldwide at that time isn't much. U2's HTDAAB sold more than twice that & NLOTH is in the top 3 for worldwide sales.

Just looking at the "Best Album" nominees makes me want to throw-up. This is just a popularity contest that promotes artist who can move units for a hurting industry (record sales). I'm not saying NLOTH is the album of the year, buts an excellent U2 album. And it makes no sense that ATYCLB & HTDAAB gets Grammy praise but NLOTH isn't nominated for album of the year.

If U2 released MOS or Magnificent as the 1st single things would have been different. I love Boots but for the casual listener it was Vertigo 2.0.

I completely agree with your main point. It is preposterous that NLOTH hasn't even been nominated give the success their previous two (inferior) records enjoyed. I disagree with you about "A Bigger Bang" though- I don't think songs like "Rough Justice" "Oh No Not You Again" and "Rain Fall Down" constitute " a joke of an album." I'm not claiming it stands up to their sixties and early seventies work but for me, it was the most engaged they'd sounded since Some Girls.

I completely agree with your main point. It is preposterous that NLOTH hasn't even been nominated give the success their previous two (inferior) records enjoyed. I disagree with you about "A Bigger Bang" though- I don't think songs like "Rough Justice" "Oh No Not You Again" and "Rain Fall Down" constitute " a joke of an album." I'm not claiming it stands up to their sixties and early seventies work but for me, it was the most engaged they'd sounded since Some Girls.

Oh No.. and Rough Justice were pretty good Stones songs, but that album, like Bridges was so produced. Nothing felt real about it. Stones should have gone the direction of "Stripped" ie Dylan sound. Even though Dylan can't sing much his voice fits his style of music.

I thought Voodoo Lounge was really good.

U2 hasn't hit the "Bigger Bang" level.......http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C05E4DB173FF930A25753C1A9639C8B63

U2 hasn't hit the "Bigger Bang" level.......

In many ways they have gone well past it. The Vertigo Tour outside the USA/Canada had higher gross and attendance figures from almost every single market played. In addition, U2 shows soldout in record time, while Stones shows either failed to sellout or struggled to fill the venue up.

The current U2 360 tour is on course to gross over $700 million dollars, much more than the $558 million done by Bigger Bang, with a likely attendance figure of over 7 million. A Bigger Bang had 4.6 million in attendance. By the end of 2010, U2 360 will be the highest grossing and highest attended concert tour in history!

In many ways they have gone well past it. The Vertigo Tour outside the USA/Canada had higher gross and attendance figures from almost every single market played. In addition, U2 shows soldout in record time, while Stones shows either failed to sellout or struggled to fill the venue up.

The current U2 360 tour is on course to gross over $700 million dollars, much more than the $558 million done by Bigger Bang, with a likely attendance figure of over 7 million. A Bigger Bang had 4.6 million in attendance. By the end of 2010, U2 360 will be the highest grossing and highest attended concert tour in history!

I'm sorry Maoilbheannacht, I met U2 haven't hit the "Stones" low of irrelevant new music, cheesy promotion, and money sucking rock stars playing through the same hits for the past 30 years.

I think so too.

Others may have said this already but I think how the Grammys usually operate is that the albums that are nominated for Album of the Year almost always win in other categories they are in. So DMB is nominated in Rock Album AND Album of the Year, they will likely win at least Rock. If U2 wins Rock Album over DMB, then why wasn't U2 nominated for Album of the year over DMB? Doesn't make sense to happen like that.

Here are the five albums last year nominated for Album of the Year...

In Rainbows was nominated for Alternative and Album of the Year, won Alternative.

Tha Carter III was nominated for Rap and Album of the Year, won Rap.

Raising sand nominated for Contemporary Folk/Americana and Album of the Year, won both.

Viva la Vida was nominated for Rock and Album of the Year, won Rock.

The one exception was Ne-Yo's Year of the Gentleman. It was nominated for Album of the Year and Contemporary R&B, lost both.

So I guess it could happen, just not very likely.

i like the MGMT album, but i don't know if it warrants a Best New Artist nomination. i could think of many other bands who deserve it more.

I hope U2 wins for Rock Album at least. I'm sure they don't have a chance in the other two categories. The only reason I really care is I'm afraid if they come away empty-handed, they won't release anything except ATYCLB/HTDAAB type stuff from here on out.

Most Grammy awards for One album! (7 or more)

Supernatural - Santana - 9 Grammy awards
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - U2 - 8 Grammy awards
Come Away With Me - Norah Jones - 8 Grammy awards
Genius Loves Company - Ray Charles - 8 Grammy awards
Thriller - Michael Jackson - 8 Grammy awards
All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2 - 7 Grammy awards

I'd be very surprised if U2 win any actually this time around; maybe whoever decides the Grammy awards will decide U2 have been awarded enough in the last decade...

The only reason I really care is I'm afraid if they come away empty-handed, they won't release anything except ATYCLB/HTDAAB type stuff from here on out.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB were amazing U2 albums. This is how I would rank U2's albums:

01. Achtung Baby
02. Joshua Tree
03. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
04. Unforgettable Fire
05. All That You Can't Leave Behind
06. No Line On The Horizon
07. WAR
08. POP
09. BOY
10. Rattle And Hum
11. Zooropa
12. October

I'd be very surprised if U2 win any actually this time around; maybe whoever decides the Grammy awards will decide U2 have been awarded enough in the last decade...

The Grammy awards are voted on by the Grammy academy which has 12,000 members. The first round of voting decides who the nominees will be. The top five voted artist in each catagory become the nominees.

Then there is the 2nd round of voting in which all 12,000 members vote on the nominated artist to determine which one of the five artist in each catagory is the winner. This time, the artist with the most votes in each catagory is the winner.

So while artist that make it to the big catagories like Album Of The Year, Song Of The Year, usually win in the smaller catagories as well, it does not always happen. Some Grammy members may have voted for artist in the first round of voting who did not recieve a nomination and will now be voting for someone else.

So its still possible that U2 could win in one of the catagories they are nominated in.

Albums released in 2009 that have sold 1 million or more copies so far this year in the UNITED STATES:

01 - 1,689,521 - HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE - Soundtrack
02 - 1,533,184 - RELAPSE - Eminem
03 - 1,440,895 - THE E.N.D. (THE ENERGY NEVER DIES) - Black Eyed Peas
04 - 1,337,192 - THE BLUEPRINT 3 - Jay-Z
05 - 1,049,311 - UNSTOPPABLE - Rascal Flatts
06 - 1,042,642 - NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - U2

Thats right, of all the albums released during the year 2009, only 6 have succeeded in selling 1 million or more copies in the United States! NO LINE ON THE HORIZON is one of those albums.

Hannah Montana. :doh:

That's interesting though. I think a lot of people are also overlooking the impact of filesharing. So many people get their albums that way these days (especially U2 fans, who I think are often young, hip, technically savvy, and have good taste:heart: ). It would be so interesting to see who really got the most albums out if that was counted.

Also, how in the flying monkey hell did MOS not get nominated? Does it have to be a single or something?

Seriously, I thought that would be a gimme. Of course, it would be eligible for next year too right, since it's being released as a single later?

01. Achtung Baby
02. Joshua Tree
04. Unforgettable Fire
07. WAR
08. POP
09. BOY
10. Rattle And Hum
11. Zooropa
12. October

Put down the pipe.

01. Achtung Baby
02. Joshua Tree
04. Unforgettable Fire
07. WAR
08. POP
09. BOY
10. Rattle And Hum
11. Zooropa
12. October

:down:

Hutdab is U2's weakest album, in my perspective. Yet I can still thoroughly enjoy half of the songs off the album on occasional listens.

But U2, don't try to reproduce another Atomic Bomb. :no:

01. Achtung Baby
02. Joshua Tree
04. Unforgettable Fire
07. WAR
08. POP
09. BOY
10. Rattle And Hum