Evolution of men and women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cydewaze

Refugee
evolution_of_man_and_woman.gif

discuss.

that is an interesting gif...

I'd say it is accurate, generally.... (though , of course, there's one thing I'm...... "defiant" about)

Personally, I'm finding that the evoloution of men and women is perhaps the greatest example of two people seeking the same thing through different methods.

i know this is a joke, but if i were a heterosexual man, i think i'd be offended at how dumb society expects me to be and how i'm not allowed to have any interests beyond football, boobs, poker, and beer.

Irvine511 said:
if i were a heterosexual man, i think i'd be offended at how dumb society expects me to be and how i'm not allowed to have any interests beyond football, boobs, poker, and beer.

I expect much more than that, then again maybe that's one reason why I am single and dateless :hmm:

Does society still really have expectations like that? I would like to believe we've gotten past that, and that most men have as well. Some haven't though..

Irvine511 said:
i know this is a joke, but if i were a heterosexual man, i think i'd be offended at how dumb society expects me to be and how i'm not allowed to have any interests beyond football, boobs, poker, and beer.

it amazes me how few heterosexual men actually do take offence or protest against this stereotype.

MrsS, i hear ya, sister. perhaps that's why we're both single and fabulous. :wink:

dandy said:

it amazes me how few heterosexual men actually do take offence or protest against this stereotype.

me too, I'd like to hear from the men here about that topic

:crickets: :D..I say that only because a question like that never seems to get a response, or maybe it's just cause I'm the one asking :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Does society still really have expectations like that? I would like to believe we've gotten past that, and that most men have as well. Some haven't though..

i think if you take a look at the majority of sitcoms, and i say this a bit ignorant since i tend to only watch HBO, the news, and Comedy Central, but on shows like "according to Jim" the dad is basically a good-hearted idiot, completely enslaved to his base desires (pizza, football, sex) and the wife (who is always vastly hotter than he is) doubles as mother to both the children and the father.

it's weird ... homer simpson is a satire of these kinds of characters, yet these characters have become an even more satirical version of the original satire ... and i'd also add that for a man to question or deviate from these stereotypes -- god forbid an alpha male TV character like theater, or be well read ... because that makes you Frasier, and we all know how many jokes were made at the possibility of Frasier and Miles being gay -- is to somehow fess up to being less of a man.

it's an interesting phenomenon -- the marketers pitch lower and lower and lower (i.e., girls gone wild) but for a man to say, "you're insulting my intelligence" he might as well say, "i want to be a woman."

at least that's how the dichotomy has been presented.

you know, like in Heathers: "this is Ohio; if you don't have a brewski in your hand you might as well be wearing a dress."

I'm not offended when people are making fun of stereotypes, though it's another thing when I actually suspect it to be a person's opinion.

And obviously, I'm only kidding with this one;

Its_a_mans_world.jpg

okay, i know the above is a joke, but what if instead of the sexual stereotypes we had racial or religious stereotypes?

why is misogyny still okay, but racism and anti-semitism and most other -isms totally taboo. it isn't okay to be racist, but it's still okay to be sexist.

Irvine511 said:
okay, i know the above is a joke, but what if instead of the sexual stereotypes we had racial or religious stereotypes?

why is misogyny still okay, but racism and anti-semitism and most other -isms totally taboo. it isn't okay to be racist, but it's still okay to be sexist.

I don't know if this is exactly directed at me personally, but you can practically joke about anything with me, as long as I know it's not the person's actual opinion.

Irvine511 said:

Good question, maybe too many people are terrified of the power they think they would lose..even more so than of losing power to any other group of people

I happen to think eliminating sexism gives us all so much more power

Irvine511 said:

It's the same with people with ginger hair, or short people. for some reason, society still thinks it's ok to insult people or make jokes about them for this reason

My friend has red hair, and once she was just walking down the street minding her own business, when a car full of Asian lads drove past, stopped, reversed, wound down the windows and shouted insults at her because of the colour of her hair. If the roles had been reversed, and she had been shouting abuse at them because of the colour of their skin, she would have been arrested

:shrug:

DrTeeth said:

I don't know if this is exactly directed at me personally, but you can practically joke about anything with me, as long as I know it's not the person's actual opinion.

no, it wasn't directed at you; i just wonder if such a picture would be so readily available if it were racist instead of sexist.

that's all.

bammo2 said:
It's the same with people with ginger hair, or short people.

:crack:

Have...to...resist...

:crack:

Sorry, I can't! :scream:

Short People got no reason
To live

They got little hands
Little eyes
They walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
`Round here

Short People are just the same
As you and I
(A Fool Such As I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
That stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no Short People
'Round here

Irvine511 said:

Very good questions and analysis, Irvine.

Perhaps the reason that some forms of bigotry are tolerate or embraced stems from the historical arguments used to underscore other forms of bigotry. Historically, males did not suffer prejudice or negative stereotypes, so they are open game today.

Bottom line - it is still hatred.

Irvine511 said:

I think the opening cartoon is all a bit of fun and it would be a bit over the top to be offended by it - BUT I see a lot of stereotyping of heterosexual men in the UK and Irish media, particularly in advertising.

An advert for washing up powder that is currently airing depicts the male as a total stereotype of the dumb 'himbo' - I do find this particular advert pretty offensive, to be honest.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

this ties in perfectly with MrsS's rape statistics thread, too. for the most part, sexism and mysogyny are still often socially acceptable, and i don't see this changing until society truly accepts women as human beings with equal rights.

you gotta ask who benefits from this? white middle-upper class heterosexual men. sexism and mysogyny keep women "in their place," earning less, living in fear, and ultimately being less. until attitudes toward women fundamentally change with those who still hold the political and economic power, the status quo will not change.

Back
Top Bottom