Bono on CBC News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady lemonade

Acrobat
Saw a 1 minute clip on CBC news, via sattelite from Monte Carlo, here's what he said (wearing blue shades, blue t-shirt, black jacket):

"What I'm looking at is a lot of rhetoric, a lot of the old numbers just kinda fiddled with. I mean maybe I'm a being disingenues, I'm feeling dissapointed but there are some improvements here, there are some smart things about the debt being done, there is a little more money going around but none of the vision we were hoping for."

There was a good 10 minute interview between Bono and Peter Mansbridge. I caught that 1 minute clip initially, but about 15 minutes later they played the entire interview. I taped it. Maybe I'll transcribe it if enough people request it. Bono did look rather... overworked. Very concerned.

Here it is..part 1

June 28, 2002
From CBC TV Transcripts:

SHOW: THE NATIONAL ( 10:00 PM ET )
June 27, 2002, Thursday
ANCHOR: PETER MANSBRIDGE

The front man

PETER MANSBRIDGE: He's known simply as Bono. Short in name, long in reputation.
As the front man for the rock band U2, he uses his fame to get the world to listen, to
hear about global poverty, the need fro foreign aid, but especially the problems of Africa.
We spoke to Bono a few hours ago in Monte Carlo where he had just received the final
communiqu from the G-8 summit. That interview in a moment, but first why he's a rock
star to be reckoned with. In a world of music, no band is bigger than U2 and no lead
singer of a rock group more political than Bono. He's been mixing politics and music
since the late 70's. And since 1984 when he sang in Band-aid, Africa has been a priority
for Bono. This year in New York, Bono and Bill Gates announced a new plan to help
Africa. It's called the data agenda and it aims to resolve the continent's debt problems.
With Bono behind this initiative, Africa has received a lot of attention. He's toured the
continent with the U.S. Treasury Secretary. He's met with the Presidents of France,
Russia, Britain. And to ensure Africa was front and centre at Kananaskis, Bono met with
Jean Chretien in February.

Bono, earlier this year, you had hoped that this Kananaskis G-8 could produce the
Marshall plan for Africa. You've seen the final communiqu now, is that what you're
looking at?

BONO: No. No, I'm not looking at that at all. And it's, there's a lot of people's hopes and
not dreams, but real work dashed here as far as I'm concerned. And you know, it was
an inspired thing, I think of Prime Minister Chretien to have the African leadership
present. It was inspired to have as a centerpiece at this year's G-8 but really, what I'm
looking at is a lot of rhetoric, a lot of the old numbers just kind of fiddled with. There is,
I mean maybe I'm being disingenuous. I'm feeling disappointed. There is some progress
here. There is some smart things on the debt they've done looking at debt sustainability
in this. There's a little bit more money going around but no, none of the vision we were
hoping for. Basically, the scale of the response does not match the scale of the problem.

MANSBRIDGE: Well, what do you think happened here? Where did it break down?

BONO: Well, I don't think Mugabe's efforts helped in Zimbabwe. I mean when you have
a crackpot like that, it just reinforces what a lot of people think about Africa, that it's a
hopeless case, you know. But it's not a hopeless case. There is new leadership. There's
some, there's some great people like Obasanjo who's there in Kananaskis. There's
Thabo Mbeki, even though he's been slow to turn on the AIDS problem, he's a very
brilliant man. There is a great new African leadership and they deserved, in my opinion
a new and historic approach to this problem. And you know, it's all our problem. You
know, that's the thing. People say well why, you know, why should we care. It's a long
way. It's Africa. And there is some sort of, I mean, there's some sort of I guess inherent
racism in the fact that we can, we can let this problem go on and on and on. But I think
also being fairer. I think it's more just to do with the fact that people think it's a hopeless
case. Well it's not.

MANSBRIDGE: Well who's, who's not getting it then? I mean, you've met with a lot, many
of these leaders. You've had access unprecedented really for somebody who's been as
concerned about an issue as you have, who's not getting it?

BONO: You know, they're not, they're not bad guys. They're just busy guys, you know. It's
just bureaucracy. It's that old thing, you know. It's just, it's heartbreaking really. I mean, I
know how much Tony Blair has put into this and Gordon Brown has put into this. I've
been on a tour of Africa with the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, you know.
I'd like to tell you these people are the devil. Well they're not, you know. They're, they're
people who want to put this right. The problem is when it comes down to it, people are
dying for the stupidest of reasons. Money. I mean since last year's Genoa, the G-8 in
Genoa, 2.3 million Africans have died of AIDS. I mean there's drugs available. We have
interventions that are great advertisements for our ingenuity and innovation in the wealthier
countries. They're not getting, they're not getting to the people. They'll always say oh, the
delivery systems aren't in place. It's too difficult. That classic line. Africans don't have wrist
watches. And so they can't take these medications. I've been in Africa. I've been in clinics
in South Africa where the nurses and the doctors are saying to us, we could do, we could
do 200 percent more than we're doing now, if we had the money. Others saying, you
know, we could do a thousand percent more if we could do the money. You know, but these
are the old excuses and it comes down to money.

MANSBRIDGE: You now, I've got to tell you, you not only sound disappointed, you look
disappointed. But one assumes you're not going to give up as a result of this. What
happens now?

BONO: No, I think, I think, I wanted for especially in Canada, you know, Prime Minister
Chretien said to us a year ago, I'm going to put, I'm going to give you your voice and I'm
going to give you your chance meaning the movement. And it's a worldwide movement
that wants to put the relationship between the developed and the developing countries
right. I mean it's a relationship that's been wrong for so long. We just, this is the time and
stop, the message we are trying to get to the politicians is don't move in baby steps. Make
a giant leap here. We'll give you the applause. This money that we're asking for, I think
they're talking about $6 billion a year en masse if the Americans agree, and that's still I
think $24 billion less than what the UN are saying is necessary to deal with AIDS and
hunger and starvation in that continent. But $24 billion, it sounds like a lot of money, but
when you think of the cost of, for instance, the war in Afghanistan and you realize what
happens, you know, it's cheaper to prevent the fires than to put them out. There's another
ten Afghanistans potentially in Africa. I just thought they'd have the imagination to make
a giant, giant leap here.

MANSBRIDGE: But do you think, still think that something can happen? You're not going
to give up. People who agree with you are not going to give up.

BONO: No, no, we're not going to give up. We're not going to give up. And guess what?
It's such a strange panoply of characters here. You have the churches. You have student
activists. I mean we're people who don't normally all hang out together. And people are
waking up to what George Bush himself described as a genocide, referring to AIDS and
I see us as complicit by our inaction in that genocide. And it's bewildering to me that we're
not treating this as an emergency. I think the penny is slowly dropping. I think people are
getting out on the streets. You know people criticize the globalized, the anti-globalization
people. They feel that they're, you know, they haven't figured out an agenda. But you know,
there's some, there's some you know, nut cases, I agree, out on the streets, but a lot of
these people are responding at a gut level to what they see as the ever widening gap
between the richer countries and the poorer countries. In history, within our own borders,
we know that when that happens, revolt is around the corner.

Part 2

MANSBRIDGE: Let me just ask you one last question and it's a personal on in a way and I
don't want you to take it the wrong way. You know on a day like this, some people are going
to wonder whether, in a way, you got had. You've had incredible access to some of the
most powerful people in the world. You're committed to this cause. At the end of the day,
some of them got campaign photos with one of the most popular figures in the world and
you're disappointed and depressed and you didn't get the commitment you wanted.

BONO: Um, yeah, I might be one of those people. If I'm speaking to you, Peter, next year,
and there hasn't been a real historic movement to deal with the problem of AIDS in the world
and to deal with a continent like Africa bursting into flames while we all stand around with
watering cans, I'm going to feel like I have been had. And worst than that, I'm going to feel
like I've been a tourist in other people's tragedies. And I'll feel I let those people down. And
I'll tell you, I've always felt it was more glamorous to be on the barricades. You know, it's
much more rock 'n roll to be on the barricades with a handkerchief over your nose and
throwing rocks. And I always felt, you know, get into the ruin. The argument has a certain
moral weight, moral force. If we can get into the era of presidents and prime ministers like I
have with Tony Blair and last week with President Chirac, I know that, I know I can make
these people's case in a way that sometimes even the African leaders can't because they're
beholding to the institutions like the World Bank and the IMF whose shareholders are the
G-8. You know, and I, and I, I'm still, I'm still going to go there. I'm going to represent a broad
movement and, but we will be back next year and you'll be hearing from me. And you'll be
hearing from the sleeping giant that is the church. I mean the church, what is going on with
the, with the churches? It is incredible. I tell these evangelicals, you know, in the United
States, there's 2,300 verses of scripture about the poor. It's the central message outside of
personal redemption, is the idea of dealing with the poor. And I'm asking them where are
they? Where are they on this? You know, on a recent poll of evangelical churches, only six
percent said they wanted to do something about AIDS. I mean it is, it is unbelievable and
the leprosy of our time, if you like, but it's starting to turn, the church is starting to wake up.
The students are getting louder and louder. And we are getting messages even from
corporate America saying, I get calls saying what can we do? Can we help? And I think over
the next year you'll be hearing from us and closer to elections, in all these countries who
have met in Kananaskis today, they'll really be hearing from us.

MANSBRIDGE: Bono, it's been good of you to talk to us and we will talk to you a year from
now. Thank you.

BONO: Okay. Thanks Peter. Bye.

MANSBRIDGE: We have to take a short break. But when we come back, the performance of
the Prime Minister at the G-8 summit. Our at issue panel is standing by with their score cards.

GM, thank you for that!I love his passion, his knowledge of this. No wonder he gets taken serious. He knows his stuff. I love his focus on the simply morality of the issue. I agree that what we need is a solution we just haven't seen before. Imagination is a lot more practical that many people realize.

"If the Americans agree." As an American, that was embarassing to read. Bush, you're right, it IS genocide. So let's stop it!

*sigh* We do have our work cut out for us, don't we? 'S okay, we're up for it.

:)

SD

PS Did he call Mugabe a crackpot? :lol: I was in Zimbabwe for my Peace Corps stint and I can testify to that....

Last edited:
omg. that really hit me on a gut level.

I've spent the last month researching for my 40-page senior finance project on the World Bank and IMF. The last week I have been buried in writing the paper (16 pages down so far!), and I'm feeling overwhelmed with the size of this problem. Looking at the history of these institutions...it's not that they don't want to help because they DO, but they've gone about it in all the wrong ways. Money has been lent in massive amounts and projects have gone wrong and the third world is left holding the bill. I just....I dunno. It's alot to take in. :(

While yer kickin and throwin, channel some of that (totally just) anger into a phone call. :) If we ain't happy, we gotta let 'em know.

LOL-- I have these ph #'s memorized now I've typed 'em so many times. :)

Sec. Paul O'Neill 202 622 0190
Prez Bush 202 456 1414

And would those of you in France tell your Prez. merci?

:)

Cheryl

stephannv said:
*throws balloons full of tabasco sauce at the people Mona kicked*
:mac:

:drool: NOW I'm STARVIN

*licks those same scorned tabasco'd people* Mmm saucy sassyness....

I am pissed off big time. Why is it so hard for these big shots to act when the facts are there? It's like watching a fire and not putting it out. The good news, if there is any, is that Bono has certainly not lost his passion! I'm going to raise some real hell with the politicos. It's embarrassing to me as an American that my government just doesn't give a damn about millions of unnecessary deaths. It's time for some suitably irate letters if you ask me. We need to get pesky here.:madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

Thanks for the video Rainbow! He was so frustrated and disappointed. We all are. I know no one will give up though. As far as his looks I don't see anything wrong with him. Of course his emotions were showing on his face but I don't see anything tired about him. He's just a very cute, normal, better than average looking 42 year old man. I love the royal blue on him. It goes so well with his shades and his black hair.

nw_national_bono.jpg

Last edited:
GypsyHeartgirl said:
He's just a very cute, normal, better than average looking 42 year old man. I love the royal blue on him. It goes so well with his shades and his black hair.

Hehehe... that is SUCH a typical response from Bono fans, lol...

(Don't worry, I'm not mocking you... I'm a Bono fan myself)

But we're all talking politics, yet still manage to throw in a comment about how much we love Bono... teehee :drool:

On 60 min. the lady asked him if he could make politics 'sexy' and he laughed and said he didn't know if he could deliver that. But he does, he does, he makes it sexy. He's the only one I can think of who does!

i think all politically active celebrities should call out our world leaders on their TOTAL INACTIVITY and BULLSHIT when it comes to actually SOLVING PROBLEMS.

If the press nukes these guys it'll help. Unfortunately, too much of the time they get treated with kid gloves. Someone should, uh, at least figurately sock them in the nose. The cruds!

Redtape is exactly right, GHG. I'm so glad and proud that Bono called it as it is. Bush and O'Neill and Co aren't ice-blooded or mean. They're busy and they're beaucrats. We can't solve the problems unless we indentify it right.

In addition to everything else Bono was on that interview, he was rational and fair. :bono: :heart:

SD

Thanks for all the stories and pics and videos. I agree with everyone else, Bono handled himself very well and spoke with just enough anger and calm determination through his anger and frustration. He is a great guy and I can't believe they'd let him and all those troubled people down. This is everyone's world. The crusade will go on for all of us. God bless Bono and all the angels! May 'pharoah's' heart not remain hardened.

I was hoping they'd draft a treaty or something like that, a treaty between the G8 and those 22 poor countries. Not close. I wrote some more letters today. We just have to keep on keeping on.
Walk on!
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom