Ali 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
80dba326.jpg

Jamila said:
Of the Earth and Edun

It’s hard to make it in the fashion world, even without adhering to strong environmental standards, but Hélène Bisnaire and Richard Ziff’s company Of the Earth is the exception. The pair first sold their wares in 1992 at music and craft festivals. Now, Of the Earth clothing can be found at stores as diverse as City Sports and Whole Foods. According to Ziff, Of the Earth sells millions of dollars worth of merchandise each year (with prices ranging from $14 for a grocery bag to $80 for a hemp/silk dress) and has been growing at an annual rate of 40 percent.

“Although we’ve been doing this for years, it seems that organic apparel has quickly become accepted in the last 18 months,” Ziff says. “It’s exciting to know that it’s finally here and here to stay. There’s improvement in every aspect in production and the organic thing is hip now. But it’s something that’s beyond a trend. It’s a lifestyle decision. People who eat organic food taste the difference, and they like the way these clothes feel. It becomes a lifelong commitment.”

Eco-fashion recently got a big boost in exposure when the singer Bono, his wife Ali Hewson and designer Rogan Gregory (of the all-organic Loomstate clothing line), joined forces to develop the Edun brand (Edun is “nude” spelled backwards, as well as a play on the biblical reference). Edun’s organic cotton t-shirts ($55 to $58) and sweatshirts ($163) made in Tunisia and Peru constitute 20 percent of the line, and are selling at such high-end stores as Barneys New York and Saks Fifth Avenue. Not surprisingly given Bono’s second job campaigning for economic justice, Edun has a firm commitment to a fair and humane workplace.

Eco-friendly fashions are new to the store, says Saks’ senior fashion director Michael Fink. “Edun’s had a great reception and it’s selling quite amazingly,” says Fink. “It could inspire a major movement.”

Although budget-conscious shoppers may be shocked by Loudermilk and Edun’s high sticker prices, New York City-based fashion model Summer Rayne Oakes, a coordinator for the Organic Portraits project (www.organic portraits.org) and a designer of an eco-fashion curriculum in conjunction with Recyclebank (www. ecofashion101.com) puts it in perspective: “Implementing ‘eco’ in mainstream high-fashion labels is a necessary step for inspiring celebrities, consumers and design chains.”

According to Oakes, “Lower-end and lifestyle brand lines will be quick to emulate their fashion-forward predecessors with more affordable garments.” Oakes points to ecologically conscious (and affordable) lines already underway by American Apparel, Timberland, Whole Foods, Nike and Eddie Bauer.

Oakes adds, “There are a number of roads that need to be crossed before major labels begin embracing environmentally and socially conscious fabrics.” She says more groundwork needs to be done on the supply-side of organic fibers and she says there also needs to be more investment in partnerships to build the sustainability movement in the fashion industry.

Bono modestly admits his role has more to do with his celebrity status than his style (“I’m the man who brought you the mullet,” he joked). “Look, the world doesn’t need another fashion brand; we understand that. But we don’t think that this is just another one,” Bono explained at the Edun launch. “It’s different. At the very heart of it is the idea of four respects: respect for what your clothes are made of, respect for who is making them, respect for where they are made and respect for the people who are going to put them on.”

Not a bad endorsement of eco-fashion from one of the world’s biggest stars, who has inspired legions of fans to wear wrap-around sunglasses (and the aforementioned mullet), and who is also a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize this year. Edun will, in fact, be making the concert t-shirts for U2’s next tour, which should put organic, fair-traded cotton on many, many backs.

JOEL GERSHON is a New York-based freelance writer.

http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2653

This article substantiates exactly what I've been trying to say all along.

EDUN was not created for a mass audience per se (although I'm sure they appreciate as many people buying their clothes as possible).

EDUN was created as a BUSINESS MODEL to show others in the garment industry that fair trade businesses ARE possible and CAN BE PROFITABLE. (Ali said that herself in all the pre-launch EDUN articles that were circulated, a lot of them right here in PLEBA)

From all the others that are now exploring the fair trade clothing line (like Whole Foods, Eddie Bauer, Timberland, etc), it's obvious that EDUN IS BEING SUCCESSFUL IN ITS MISSION - making it easier for others to enter the fair trade market and making it more fashionable amongst the buying public to ask for and to buy FAIR TRADE ITEMS.

And for that, Ali Hewson and everyone else at EDUN deserve our respect and admiration.;)

Great post Jamila:up:

It answered so many questions for me, Jamila...I was wondering why were the Edun clothes so expensive, but now I totally understand there reasons behind it and I think the reason's are just.:up: :yes:

Sure, I can't do it yet b/c I don't have Dreamweaver on the computer here at work, but I'll have it up by 5pm...

whoa, peny, never seen that before! Thanks!

The voting link is now live on alihewson.com, thanks for the tip, Flavia!

Wow ive never seen that pic before either!! Thankyou Peny - where is it from? Are there more??

no, that's the only one :sad: it's from the easy living magazine....I promise to post the interview, just let me find my ali stuff box:huh:

What is like to be Mrs. Bono
People are always saying you can't have a normal life if you're married to a famous person, but what is normal?" asks Ali Hewson, wife of rock legend and political campaigner Bono. "I've never met a normal person. Everyone has quirks. "Contrary to stereotypes about tempestuous rock 'n' roll relationships, the Hewsons have been happily married for 23 years. Between the epic tours that U2 undertake every few years, the family have, as Ali puts it, "a fairly regular life" in Killiney with their four children, Jordan, 15, Eve, 13, Elijah, five, and John Abraham, three. "Ireland's a great place to raise children," she enthuses. "The Irish are protective of our family's privacy, and have a very down-to-earth attitude to us which keeps our feet on the ground."

But to the rest of the world, Ali, 43, is married to a megastar. For many years she kept a low profile, supporting local causes and quietly raising the children, rarely agreeing to a spell in the limelight. In 1994, she presented Black Wind, White Land, an award-winning documentary on the after-effects of the nuclear accident at Chernobyl, and later publicly protested against the Sellafield nuclear plant, taking her remonstrations to Downing Street.

"I hate being referred to only as 'Bono's wife'," she admits. "But it does enable me to get out there and do something. When I first got involved in television, standing in front of a camera was the last thing I wanted to do. Having one person in the family in the public eye is enough. After all, someone's got to buy the milk. But Bono persuaded me. He made me see the alternative was to watch suffering on television, and just say, isn’t it terrible?' I could be voiceless, but I choose for causes that matter not to be."

It was Bono's trips to Africa that inspired her new undertaking, an ethical clothing line. "The thing Africans want more than anything is trade~ not aid," she explains. "Charity can shore up the gaps, but trade can turn Africa around. The best way to make a change was within the clothing industry - it's labour-intensive and is a great employer." So Bono, Ali and the designer Rogan launched Edun (edun.ie), making beautifully crafted, elegant clothes and creating sustainable employment in developing areas of the world such as South America and Africa. "Bono has always felt that part of the responsibility of fame is to do something with it," explains Ali. "There are always people who criticise him for not keeping his head down; but he's not the type who could take the money and run."

Ali's family has been in the public eye for years, and she often shoulders criticism about Bono's outspoken stance on political issues. "Fame has huge advantages; she says, conceding that many have found it hard to reconcile the Hewsons' ideology with their privileged life.” But it's a hard road," she adds. "You give up a lot when you lose your privacy."

Every few years - as pan of one of the biggest rock bands on the planet - Bono will spend over a year touring the world; a huge amount of time for anyone to be apart from their family. "The separation side of touring can be hard," she admits guardedly. "It's an inevitable part of our world; Bono and I have certainly been through enough of it. But it’s particularly hard on children; a tour can feel like a huge chunk of their lives. For this one we've been lucky, we've been able to bring them with us. I wouldn't have gone unless they were coming; I really couldn't have been separated from them."

Ali and the children have spent the past two months travelling with the band in South America and the US. "It’s not physically possible to be away from home for the whole tour, but I feel my children need to know why their dad’s away so much; she explains. “It’s important for them to see what he does, to understand it's not all fun. But there are lots of fathers who are away from their families for longer periods who work on oil rigs or who are in the army. There are tougher lives than this, I know that."

Ali's anti-nuclear campaigning and involvement with Edun demonstrate her passionate connection with issues relating to children and the family. "Edun came about because I don't want my children to wear clothes made by other people's children," she says fervently. 'I have very strong feelings about the issues I get involved in.” She has a realistic attitude to her own role as a mother. "I had an amazing upbringing and great parents, so of course my aim is to make my children’s lives as stable as possible. But it's a challenge. You try and do the best you can, in whatever circumstatnces you're in."

Ali has said in the past that the reason her marriage has survived is that they give each other space: "We allow each other to pursue our goals. "Her respect for him is plain to see. "He has an incredible energy," she says. "He really believes poverty can be eliminated. He feels things are changing, that people are becoming more mobilised and that's what drives him on. I admire him. He rarely gets it wrong. If he sticks his neck out, it's him who gets burned. He knows that, and he's prepared to pay that cost. His work is something I've always encouraged. We are completely as one on that."

Well, that's it, hope you enjoy it as much as I did (I know you will) We love you Ali!!! She's definitely the best, so down-to-earth and lovely...I would say tons of great things about her...sorry if there's any mistake, I was typing like mad!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom