2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked about playing the same shit every night, Larry told the die hard's to fuck ourselves.

Yeah screw you lot buying tickets to two shows after our loudmouth of a singer dropped a fat hint to expect different setlists! :lol:

Yeah screw you lot buying tickets to two shows after our loudmouth of a singer dropped a fat hint to expect different setlists! :lol:

Agreed. I'm not a big setlist complainer, but I'd still like to see them at least acknowledge Zooropa and Pop, 2 of my favorite albums. Don't bite the hand the feeds, Mr. Mullen. You'd still be a "glorified messenger boy" if it weren't your fans.

Catering to the majority of the ticket buyers is exactly not biting the hand that feeds.

We've got more different songs on a single leg than ever before, most new material on a single leg since ZooTV and a lot of fan favourites - and somehow some of you are still under the impression that the band doesn't respect its audience.

Sometimes I get the feeling that even if they did start playing Pop/Zooropa songs some of you would still be moaning that they didn't play the exact songs you wanted to hear.

There is no excuse for not playing Soldier, California, Volcano, Troubles every night

Having been there for three of the four tour outings of The Troubles thus far, the trouble with it is that it has been pretty much killing audience energy, although I believe they are making progress in tweaking the performance to make it less an energy killer with that last one in NYC.

I think the reason they haven't done Reach Around comes down to not being able to find a good arrangement that works live, they would need to do quite a bit of tweaking to the song to do it justice live.

I just got done listening to the town hall. I'm puzzled by the reaction to Larry's comments, taking a reasonable response and turning into "GFY, diehards."

Were you expecting perhaps "Huh, we never really considered that. Thanks for bringing it up - we'll start playing 18 rarities at the next show!"

I mean, I exaggerate, but I certainly didn't get a "LOL Larry's Cranky" vibe from it.

I just got done listening to the town hall. I'm puzzled by the reaction to Larry's comments, taking a reasonable response and turning into "GFY, diehards."

Were you expecting perhaps "Huh, we never really considered that. Thanks for bringing it up - we'll start playing 18 rarities at the next show!"

I mean, I exaggerate, but I certainly didn't get a "LOL Larry's Cranky" vibe from it.

U2 must do what I want at all times. Otherwise, they hate me!

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

Having been there for three of the four tour outings of The Troubles thus far, the trouble with it is that it has been pretty much killing audience energy, although I believe they are making progress in tweaking the performance to make it less an energy killer with that last one in NYC.

I think the reason they haven't done Reach Around comes down to not being able to find a good arrangement that works live, they would need to do quite a bit of tweaking to the song to do it justice live.

I think it NEEDS a live vocalist to do Lykke Li's part for it to work. It's hard for a video to inspire audience energy, and she has a huge part in the song.

As for Reach, I think they need to find a good arrangement with one guitar. I heard Edge said he wants it to show up in Europe.

I'd also bet money that 2016 tour dates are announced with the HBO specials

Last edited:
Which is why getting Gaga to guest on Ordinary Piece Of Shit was perhaps the worst part of the whole first leg.

This. You have ONE song with a significant female vocal part (no, Red Light doesn't count) and when you get an amazing female vocalist on stage and that song is in your repertoire you don't perform it? Not sure if it was the worst part of the leg (gotta go with those times One completely fell apart), but certainly the most baffling decision.

Which is why getting Gaga to guest on Ordinary Piece Of Shit was perhaps the worst part of the whole first leg.

This. You have ONE song with a significant female vocal part (no, Red Light doesn't count) and when you get an amazing female vocalist on stage and that song is in your repertoire you don't perform it? Not sure if it was the worst part of the leg (gotta go with those times One completely fell apart), but certainly the most baffling decision.

No. The female vocal of The Troubles is nowhere near the considerable level of talent Gaga has, and she wouldn't have sung down to it, so it would have ended up being a whole slew of other people posting "omg she oversang blah blah etc etc".

Gaga is not the right vocalist for The Troubles, it's really quite as simple as that.

Sent from __________

The problem with Troubles is that they didn´t find the right spot for the song, which might be the final song of the concert. It would be also helpful, if they didn´t open the song with the prerecorded chorus, but they should rather go right to the first verse.

The Troubles works on the album but it does nothing for the crowd live. It's getting the same reaction I suspect Cedars Of Lebanon would have gotten during 360. I don't really see a place for it on the tour, least of all as a closer.

The Troubles works on the album but it does nothing for the crowd live. It's getting the same reaction I suspect Cedars Of Lebanon would have gotten during 360. I don't really see a place for it on the tour, least of all as a closer.

All the more reason to play it. Every song should not be a crowd pleaser.

The Troubles is a bit different in that there's actual music going on that would keep some of the crowd's attention, but I do agree that placement is probably what kills it from being a regular.

I keep wondering if the first set would be the place for it, but they seem pretty set on which SOI songs are in that part of the show...

Completely agreed. U2 needs to stop trying to please the fans in attendance and consider the setlist watchers at home.

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

Exactly. Aren't U2 aware that they need to perform a song that gives the audience the opportunity to go to the bathroom or refresh their overpriced beverage? We'll just call it the crowd displeaser. :wink: Larry can say something from his drum kit along the lines of "Alright everybody, here's a song that you couldn't care less about, but it will please people on the internet, so piss off!". :wink:

The problem with Troubles is that they didn´t find the right spot for the song, which might be the final song of the concert. It would be also helpful, if they didn´t open the song with the prerecorded chorus, but they should rather go right to the first verse.

I think it would work best as the last song, I think it's fine to end the concert on a downer, just like LIB on ZOO TV.

Have it leading into Bullet and move EBW to the encore. All problems solved. Bullet gets a lead-in that actually works and the encore isn't a festival encore anymore.

I cannot agree that it doesn't work live. It was wonderful live. The crowd was very respectful. I don't think it gets a different reaction than, say, SFS, Iris or even EBW.

Also: isn't it weird that they have to carry that humongous drum for a song that has been played 5-6 times at most?

To those who say it didn't work live or that the crowd didn't like it, you're wrong.

I saw the Troubles twice (MTL 3, NYC6). At the third Montreal show, they had problems just starting it. I think they had a problem getting Larry's kit set up in time, and Bono was left telling a story about a red light on an amp buying time. Edge also looked like he was having some trouble finding the right settings.

Still, the song got a strong reaction.

NYC6, I think the Lykke Li vocal was too low in the mix at first. I'm pretty confident it came out a bit more as the song went on. Regardless, it got a similar reaction to SFS, Iris, EBW as gump said. I thought it was a very positive reaction.

The only problem is that it takes awhile to get going. Bono really starts belting it out around the second pre-chorus, which makes the song take off live. Whoever said that they should just start with the first verse than than the pre-recorded vocal is probably right as well.

Still, to say that the song goes over as Cedars would is totally unfair and just plain wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom