2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They did that on Pop, with some shows announced 9 months in advance. They bit off more than they could chew and some dates were 1/3rd - 1/2 full.

Thats a very fair point. I guess its the price of 'the claw' - you just can't operate that scale of show without being sure each venue will pretty much sell out.

Thats a very fair point. I guess its the price of 'the claw' - you just can't operate that scale of show without being sure each venue will pretty much sell out.

I think the break even point in 1997 was a bit more than 15,000. 360 must be closer to 25-30,000 depending on which prices ranges sell best.

There is little doubt in my mind that a certain amount of, for want of a better word, integrity has been lost in the outsourcing of so much to external corporations. Back in the days of Propaganda the tour and ticketing arrangements were much more fan-oriented with a feel of quality surrounding them than they are now. Like so much else in life the big corporates seem to suck whatever they can for as long as they can out of something. I hope they don't bleed this dry.

I may be wrong but can't help but feel that if it was U2 still running the show themselves they would have announced each continent in full (with the exception of additional nights at the same venue) at the outset.

I also remember the Popmart presales on tv channel VH1, which I remember was a big deal.

I really believe LN is doing a great job with this tour, and with big named bands signing deals with them it's going to continue in this direction. Also, the 360 tour is unlike anything the industry has ever seen, and requires a huge undertaking as well as risk.

You can't possibly be serious.

I'm serious. I think with Bono's back surgery and the postponement of the 2nd US leg, things are going great for LN and U2 after all that for 2011 with the re-scheduled shows as well as the newly announced ones. And, the possibility of releasing a new album.

I'm not a bit surprised that all the dates aren't announced at once, especially after Bono's surgery and the rescheduled US dates. Those two things changed the tour forever and how the dates are booked and such.

On top of that I'm seeing a lot of marketing here in STL for the show here next summer. Sure, I bought a ticket for Chicago before the STL show was announced but I'll take a double dose of U2!

I see nothing positive about either of the following points:

1. The way shows are being announced in dribs and drabs, rather than in an organised manner. Fortunately, we managed to dodge this in Australia; I would have been royally pissed off if I had bought tickets to another city, only for a show to then be announced in my city. I find your defence of this tactic hollow. I don't see how Bono's back surgery relates to this one bit.

2. The fact that presales routinely begin so quickly after an announcement as to be almost immediate. One minute, there's no show in your city or even country; next you're being asked to pony up for a pretty pricey ticket. Whatever happened to giving people advance notice? Some announcements have been made in the late evening, local time, for presales the very next morning. That doesn't throw scalpers off; they'll get the news alright. It just means genuine fans who have jobs and families and aren't online all the time don't notice the presale until it's already begun.

On top of that I'm seeing a lot of marketing here in STL for the show here next summer. Sure, I bought a ticket for Chicago before the STL show was announced but I'll take a double dose of U2!

well and good for you, but what about the guy who can only reasonably afford one show, splashes out for chicago only to end up having a show in his backyard but no ticket budget?

it's a joke. it's at least partially tolerable with fitting in new shows around the postponed dates and my example doesn't exactly fit in with what i'm complaining about, but you know exactly what i mean.

The only thing I'll credit them for is how fast the rescheduled show dates were announced after Bono's injury. That was helpful, even if it meant waiting for another year before we could use our tickets.

This drippy-dick method of announcing shows on a tour leg is ridiculous and annoying, and they should consult a doctor about it.

Last edited:
well and good for you, but what about the guy who can only reasonably afford one show, splashes out for chicago only to end up having a show in his backyard but no ticket budget?

it's a joke. it's at least partially tolerable with fitting in new shows around the postponed dates and my example doesn't exactly fit in with what i'm complaining about, but you know exactly what i mean.

You know, it does fit, since you could return tickets for rescheduled dates. If the extra dates were announced along with the rescheduled dates (which isn't asking much!), that could have made things a lot easier for your hypothetical guy. He could've returned his Chicago ticket and bought tickets to the show in his backyard. Instead, unless I'm grossly mistaken, the returns window has closed and he's stuck with this Chicago ticket and a trip he can't really afford when he could've seen U2 much cheaper and easier in his backyard.

You know, it does fit, since you could return tickets for rescheduled dates. If the extra dates were announced along with the rescheduled dates (which isn't asking much!), that could have made things a lot easier for your hypothetical guy. He could've returned his Chicago ticket and bought tickets to the show in his backyard. Instead, unless I'm grossly mistaken, the returns window has closed and he's stuck with this Chicago ticket and a trip he can't really afford when he could've seen U2 much cheaper and easier in his backyard.

But at least he gets to take pictures at the giant bean! :wink:

Axver;7060408 1. The way shows are being announced in dribs and drabs said:
I see your point there. I guess what I was trying to say is that if the american leg happened this summer(2010) then that would leave summer 2011 free. Would those extra dates on the 2011 US leg be added somewhere ahead? Who knows what U2 might have had planned for summer 2011 before Bono had surgery. The rescheduled dates allowed new cities/promoters to approach U2 about bringing them to new cities on the rescheduled leg and vice versa. Some venues may of had doubts about fitting the claw into their stadium for 2009-2010, but now had time to think about it, and then they pursue bringing U2 to their stadium in 2011 after reviewing everything.

I elected to keep my Chicago ticket even though a refund was offered to me. I was just happy to see a local show so that my folks could go.

I see your point there. I guess what I was trying to say is that if the american leg happened this summer(2010) then that would leave summer 2011 free. Would those extra dates on the 2011 US leg be added somewhere ahead? Who knows what U2 might have had planned for summer 2011 before Bono had surgery. The rescheduled dates allowed new cities/promoters to approach U2 about bringing them to new cities on the rescheduled leg and vice versa. Some venues may of had doubts about fitting the claw into their stadium for 2009-2010, but now had time to think about it, and then they pursue bringing U2 to their stadium in 2011 after reviewing everything.

I'm not disagreeing that it's a good thing extra cities have been added as part of rescheduling the tour - but that's a different kettle of fish entirely (plus, it's something bands often do when rescheduling, and not an original development on LN's part). What I take issue with is how the announcement of extra shows has been handled. LN have been doing very poorly in that regard.

For those of you who missed it, I took a screenshot of the U2.com Santiago page: http://images.u2cdn.com/Picture 14.png

Is Asia definitely getting the shaft this tour?

Seems like an easy way to add $10-25mill to the overall 360 gross record.

Given the massive transport and daily costs of running the tour, I think it'd be an easy way to blow money rather than earn it. Asia's completely out of the way as far as the tour schedule goes, and they'd be going there for just one or two shows. I don't see it happening.

Given the massive transport and daily costs of running the tour, I think it'd be an easy way to blow money rather than earn it. Asia's completely out of the way as far as the tour schedule goes, and they'd be going there for just one or two shows. I don't see it happening.

Was South Africa simply a minor detour?

Though I agree that logic would dictate that Asia should have been tied into the oz tour dates.

They only NEED a single claw for asia, do 2-3 shows. All of their crew are booked from now thru the Summer and they are only doing a dozen shows before it hits the US. One claw on the boat plus the lights shouldn't cost that much if there is a $20m reward on arrival.

Hawaii is also a distant possibility, but I'm not sure they can fill a 360 stadium after they needed Pearl Jam to fill it 3/4 setup - in a better economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom