*Spoilers* - Rehearsals in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. To come in and attempt to police a perceived threshold of political correctness is just as bad.

It's not like thevidesco hasn't been warned by the mods for trolling in the past, and recent comments are no different from those times.

I'll admit I go too far in seeking to retort to comments I take exception to, because he trades on the trolling tag and pushes it as far as it can go.

Read the 'the band is depressed' discussion and tell me that is sane, logical, and appropriate discussion. Without some moderation of the incessant, repetitive nonsense (Single for No one, dad rock, Adele version, bono/edge are depressed) the forum loses value because it becomes a cesspool of garbage, much like this conversation is becoming.

What came first, the troll or the respondents? The common factor is thevidesco. These conversations derail because he pops up, makes inflammatory or ridiculous comments, then defends them by completely changing his story. I couldn't care less who makes the comments, but if they are that inane, like claiming to be able to diagnose a serious medical condition based on the fact they are rehearsing particular songs that he doesn't like, I will challenge it. Because, as he likes to hide behind, this is a discussion forum. If it was him, or anyone who said that, I would respond the same. I dont know him - I dont know any of you. I have no reason to target a particular person without basis.

And that is all I will say on it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it's not like thevidesco hasn't been warned by the mods for trolling in the past

it's not like thevidesco hasn't been warned by the mods for trolling in the past

k

Invisible sounded amazing live, blew me away!!!
These guys are amazing.
The way they worked on Invisible my Bet is on Invisible opening the Concert.
It was just magical!!!!!

Have they rehearsed any Songs Of Experience material that writers heard back stage?

I know I said I was done, but then I read this glittering missive...

It's not like thevidesco hasn't been warned by the mods for trolling in the past, and recent comments are no different from those times.

I'll admit I go too far in seeking to retort to comments I take exception to, because he trades on the trolling tag and pushes it as far as it can go.

Read the 'the band is depressed' discussion and tell me that is sane, logical, and appropriate discussion. Without some moderation of the incessant, repetitive nonsense (Single for No one, dad rock, Adele version, bono/edge are depressed) the forum loses value because it becomes a cesspool of garbage, much like this conversation is becoming.

What a self-righteous crock of shit. Like you're the only thing stopping this entire forum from becoming some awful vaguely U2ey version of 4chan. Get over yourself :rolleyes:

What came first, the troll or the respondents? The common factor is thevidesco. These conversations derail because he pops up, makes inflammatory or ridiculous comments, then defends them by completely changing his story. I couldn't care less who makes the comments, but if they are that inane, like claiming to be able to diagnose a serious medical condition based on the fact they are rehearsing particular songs that he doesn't like, I will challenge it. Because, as he likes to hide behind, this is a discussion forum. If it was him, or anyone who said that, I would respond the same. I dont know him - I dont know any of you. I have no reason to target a particular person without basis.

You say this like he's forcing you to respond in a shitty way to everything he says. You take zero of the blame other than "well, maybe I go a little too far sometimes" and then immediately follow it up with "but it's all his fault!"

You, sir, are full of shit.

EDIT: In relation to this:

I've been warned by the mods more times than I can count. Twice I was banned outright from Interference as a whole, once indefinitely. People get used to the rules and social constraints over time here the same way they do in any other social group. The mods here are generally quite hands-off unless circumstances warrant, which is great. 80% of this forum would have been banned outright if we were all judged by our first 1000 posts. But that also means that you don't get to pretend you're a mod and decide who gets to post or doesn't, or who has to post in a certain way. That's the entire reason the ignore feature is there - if he pisses you off so much with every single post he makes, you never have to see one again! This has been suggested to you multiple times, and you've patently ignored the suggestion every single time. This can only lead me to conclude that you're either a) not nearly as pissed off by him as you're letting on and are doing this as some kind of thrill (aka trolling), or b) you actually enjoy getting pissed off and lipping him (aka being an asshole). So, put your money where your mouth is - at the top of the screen, go to "User CP" and then "Edit Ignore List" if he really is turning this forum into a "cesspool of garbage" and you'll never have to see said garbage again in your life. Otherwise, shut the fuck up and let the man post his thoughts.

Sorry if this was posted before,
Just joined this amazing site, great posts everyone!

Wondering what the intermission songs will be played.

I did hear Johnny Cash playing loud a few times.
Sounded pretty cool.
So my guess is that they will be some great music playing during the break.
What do you think?

Sounded pretty cool.
What do you think?

Well there was a rumor of a JC cover, I wonder if they were mistaken?

I know I said I was done, but then I read this glittering missive...

What a self-righteous crock of shit. Like you're the only thing stopping this entire forum from becoming some awful vaguely U2ey version of 4chan. Get over yourself :rolleyes:

You say this like he's forcing you to respond in a shitty way to everything he says. You take zero of the blame other than "well, maybe I go a little too far sometimes" and then immediately follow it up with "but it's all his fault!"

You, sir, are full of shit.

Pardon me, but are you attacking me for expressing an opinion?

Hypocritical much?

Of course I don't think I'm the only thing protecting the forum, how fucking egotistical would anyone have to be to believe that? Did you read the but where I admitted guilt on being too quick to respond?

Fact is, you shot off half-cocked without knowing the full background. I don't absolve myself of blame, but that doesn't mean I wave the right to justify SOME action to resist a speight of free-range horseshit. I was providing you with the context that numerous posters informed you you didn't have.

Edit - your edit about me being an arsehole/troll - again, get your facts straight before you go off half cocked. I self-regulated after noticing I was too eager to respond to his nonsense, and I blocked him days ago. Your eagerness to be the white knight in this situation has landed you in a position of foolishness. So, stop telling people to 'shut the fuck up' based on your limited understanding of a situation.

Sounded pretty cool.
What do you think?
Maybe they're going to walk out to a Johnny Cash song?

Pardon me, but are you attacking me for expressing an opinion?

Hypocritical much?

Of course I don't think I'm the only thing protecting the forum, how fucking egotistical would anyone have to be to believe that? Did you read the but where I admitted guilt on being too quick to respond?

Fact is, you shot off half-cocked without knowing the full background. I don't absolve myself of blame, but that doesn't mean I wave the right to justify SOME action to resist a speight of free-range horseshit. I was providing you with the context that numerous posters informed you you didn't have.

Enough is enough. Neither of us are changing our positions at this point.

I'm well aware of the context. I don't (well, haven't until very recently) post in this forum very much, but I do read >90% of the posts in here, as well as in EYKIW. I've been around for a long time, albeit with a bit of a break a year or so ago, and I know how things work around here just as well as anyone else.

Clearly we aren't going to agree. I think you really ought to take advantage of the ignore feature if he's that much of an issue to you, and I honestly do wonder why you don't since he gets such a reaction out of you with everything he posts.

I admit to having been annoyed by his posts in the past and recently. Like I said, I understand that he has good intentions. I honestly think he's not trying to annoy anymore. I don't know the guy (or any of you really) but I've read the vast majority of his posts and feel like I can state that with confidence. I do think he sometimes picks at the scab once the peanut gallery arrives, and he should probably tone that down a notch too. But some repetitive, not-very funny jokes (we've all told some real stinkers) are no reason to flip your lid. Just take it easy, you and others who pick on him, please. It's unfair and totally out of proportion to the "offense".

People (myself and thavidesco included) all just need to put their big boy pants on, take a deep breath and chill out and enjoy the excitement - U2's going on tour in less than two weeks! :hyper:

I think that's a safe bet at this point... Axver likely knows the entire set list but isn't sharing. Bastard.

That's kind of hard when U2 usually don't get the opening night set locked in until a day or two beforehand. :wink:

For example, the dress rehearsal in 2009 proved to be identical to opening night, but there are a couple of big changes between the 2005 dress rehearsal and opening night.

The one song I'm not at all excited about is the one everyone is raving about. Cedarwood Road is so boring. It starts out good and then falls so incredibly flat. It's gonna be a snoozefest live I think. I hope to god they don't open the shows with it. It will have the same underwhelming reaction as Breathe did and Breathe is a way better song.

I REALLY wish they'd bring back Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses as a full band electric performance. It's a really rare live song and yet one that the general public will know really well. Plus in my opinion it's their best song ever. I don't get why it's so ignored by the band.

The one song I'm not at all excited about is the one everyone is raving about. Cedarwood Road is so boring. It starts out good and then falls so incredibly flat. It's gonna be a snoozefest live I think. I hope to god they don't open the shows with it. It will have the same underwhelming reaction as Breathe did and Breathe is a way better song.

I REALLY wish they'd bring back Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses as a full band electric performance. It's a really rare live song and yet one that the general public will know really well. Plus in my opinion it's their best song ever. I don't get why it's so ignored by the band.

I imagine you heard the rehearsal audio on page 4 of this thread? That song is going to be all sorts of awesome live :up:

Cedarwood Road would be an awful opener, but I doubt that's actually going to happen. Late set/early encore, I can dig it.

It's either "Invisible" or "The Miracle" for opener...I think The Miracle's opening lines kind of fit best for a show opener...it's a rocker and has Bono's awakening into the music world. Call it a spiritual rebirth (or birth) if you will.

It's either "Invisible" or "The Miracle" for opener...I think The Miracle's opening lines kind of fit best for a show opener...it's a rocker and has Bono's awakening into the music world. Call it a spiritual rebirth (or birth) if you will.

U2 has had a song from the new album kick off opening night every tour since The Unforgettable Fire (Gloria was the first song of the TUF and War tours), so smart money is on The Miracle.

But Invisible is also from this era, so you never know. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try both early in leg 1. I would vastly prefer Invisible, honestly.

Last edited:
I imagine you heard the rehearsal audio on page 4 of this thread? That song is going to be all sorts of awesome live :up:
I did and I'm incredibly underwhelmed. I do not like the song. I think it's just flat out boring. It's easily my least favourite on SOI. I don't think it's going to be great live at all. I don't think it's going to be receieved well either. It will just kinda fall flat. We'll find out though I guess.

I'm betting Invisible opens the show. I have a feeling they will want to use The Miracle later in the show.

Don't get the people bagging out Cedarwood Road. It and The Troubles are the only songs on SOI I've really bothered to come back to. Cedarwood's conclusion is one of the few moments of post-Pop U2 that doesn't feel contrived, where genuine passion and intensity comes through.

Didn't Peter say that they seemed to have settled on Invisible as the opener?

Yes.

U2 has had a song from the new album kick off opening night every tour since The Unforgettable Fire (Gloria was the first song of the TUF and War tours), so smart money is on The Miracle.

Opening night is perhaps a little misleading in Lovetown's case, in that although Hawkmoon opened the first night, songs from JT opened a majority of the tour. Otherwise though opening night is representative of a general trend for the whole tour.

Every tour from JT onwards has had a majority of its shows opened by a song from the new album except Lovetown and 360. If we broaden that to a majority of shows opened by a new song, album or not, then Lovetown is the only exception - Breathe and Stingray account for a majority of 360 shows.

(I find it amazing that a UF song only opened a UF Tour show twice - MLK once, Wire once.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom