2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to the version of Streets from U22, and when they went into the bridge I was fully expecting Bono to sing "Love, Love, Love, There is no end to Love."

WOW…been out of the U2 bubble for couple weeks and just saw this…Mark & Gabe & Acrobat on stage. What a moment. Will most certainly be one of the highlights of the tour, and I think even the most cynical music writer or fan could not have been moved what happened in Toronto. U2 is one of the few (perhamps only) bands that has just the right mix of earnestness and heart, along with a great relationship with their fans, to make a genuine moment like that possible. And Desire was a perfect song choice.

Gabe, I know you and I have had our differences (to put it mildly), and I’m sure we will again, but for now sincere congrats to you, Mark et. al. on what no doubt was a dream experience for you…Acrobat is in the U2 history books now! Savor the moment. :applaud: :up:

Thank you very much Nick, sincerely. :up:

So I guess I was one tour late trying to get on stage by wearing my Aung San Suu Kyi mask. Dammit this kind of shit always happens to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got on stage with a local band in Green Bay the other night. Pretty sure I said that I was going to by every pretty girl a shot. I thought I was safe because the only pretty girl there happened to the one I was with. Unfortunately the bartender and my tab disagreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Les Bos?

Currently preparing myself for my first U2 concert EVER! This Tuesday. Beyond excited.
Yay!!! I'm actually a little weirdly jealous of people seeing them for the first time. I've seen them 15 times and BOS1 was in the top 3. But I'll never forget my first time. Life changing. Have a blast!

everyone remembers their first time...sniffle.

I cried during Pride and WOWY for Zoo TV:reject:

My first show was Zoo TV outside broadcast in Foxboro Stadium. I was 15. I lost my freaking mind. I cried during WOWY. And AIWIY. My friend and I were on the big screen after talking in that random booth (does anyone remember that booth?) I basically fainted. My dad waited in the parking lot and had to listen his annoying teenage daughter go on and on and on about the show for 1.5 hours on the drive home. Although come to think of it, he picked me up after Friday's show and had to listen to me drone on and on. Not much has changed in 23 years. Give that man a medal.:applaud:

My first show changed my life. It was Denver, McNichols Arena 1987 Joshua Tree tour. I was 13 and had no idea what I was about to experience. I'll never forget the chills I got as Streets opened the show, the arena glowing in red. And Bono's passion for every word he sang. I never knew that existed. It was unreal how the whole arena felt united as one. And then, the most amazing closing I have ever seen or been a part of. They closed with 40, and the entire arena kept singing 'how long to sing this song'. The lights came up, and we kept singing. We walked out through the halls of the arena, the crowd still singing. Then out the doors and through the parking lot, still singing. We walked up the street still singing and into a Denny's, where people were STILL singing 40. I'd never seen anything like it and haven't since. I knew I was a part of something special and 26 concerts later, still feel that way. :heart:

My first show changed my life. It was Denver, McNichols Arena 1987 Joshua Tree tour. I was 13 and had no idea what I was about to experience. I'll never forget the chills I got as Streets opened the show, the arena glowing in red. And Bono's passion for every word he sang. I never knew that existed. It was unreal how the whole arena felt united as one. And then, the most amazing closing I have ever seen or been a part of. They closed with 40, and the entire arena kept singing 'how long to sing this song'. The lights came up, and we kept singing. We walked out through the halls of the arena, the crowd still singing. Then out the doors and through the parking lot, still singing. We walked up the street still singing and into a Denny's, where people were STILL singing 40. I'd never seen anything like it and haven't since. I knew I was a part of something special and 26 concerts later, still feel that way. :heart:

wonderful post, that sums up the quintessential U2 experience.

Almost exactly the same experience as my first show, at the Worcester Centrum in May '87. I'd been to lots of rock concerts by that time, but nothing had ever felt like the joyful elevation(!) of U2. Still true today.

My first was Madison, WI on ZooTV in 1992. I was a sophomore in college. My cool aunt took my cousin and I to the show.

It's funny - there are some things I remember (where our seats were, someone smoking pot nearby, Bono having mic problems during "Unchained Melody" and mumbling "shut the fuck up" at the mic when it gave feedback) ... but most of it is a blur. Everything else I remember I'm pretty sure I only remember because of all the other Zoo bootlegs/footage I've seen/heard. :lol:

My first was Madison, WI on ZooTV in 1992. I was a sophomore in college. My cool aunt took my cousin and I to the show.

It's funny - there are some things I remember (where our seats were, someone smoking pot nearby, Bono having mic problems during "Unchained Melody" and mumbling "shut the fuck up" at the mic when it gave feedback) ... but most of it is a blur. Everything else I remember I'm pretty sure I only remember because of all the other Zoo bootlegs/footage I've seen/heard. :lol:
I remember the pot at my concert too. I think it was the first time I smelled the stuff. I thought it was disgusting...until I found out it wasn't disgusting. :happydance:

I was also a sophomore in college for Zoo TV and my experience is mostly a blur too. I remember watching the screens and having fun. It wasn't as magical as Joshua Tree, but it still rocked!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Almost exactly the same experience as my first show, at the Worcester Centrum in May '87. I'd been to lots of rock concerts by that time, but nothing had ever felt like the joyful elevation(!) of U2. Still true today.

Yep, there's nothing like the energy of a U2 show. The Rattle and Hum movie did an excellent job of capturing the passion and real emotion of that tour. It's still my favorite DVD to watch because of the feelings and memories it brings back.

My first show was Joshua Tree nov. '87 in Vancouver BC Place. We booked through a tour company that insisted the seats we had were great and would give us the tix just before the show. When we got there, we found out just how great they were - the entire football field away in the uppermost deck. After watching the first band (The Bodeans) and realizing that the sound was delayed with the accompanying visuals on the big screen half way down the field we decided to bolt over the concrete wall dividing the seats from field level during Los Lobos. Apparently we weren't the only ones with the same idea as about 100 people clogged up the stairs just waiting for the first sucker to jump over so security could grab him and the rest of us could scatter amongst the GAs on the floor. We got over, and continued to run until we made it about 20 yards from the stage. Bono sang NYD right in front of us and with the recent bombing in Enniskillen, the show was emotionally charged. Imagine my surprise when the stranger standing behind us in GA rail at IE show night 2 in Vancouver was at the same show in '87! Nice way to relive an awesome memory before yet another awesome show

Mine first was the very last stop on the Joshua Tree tour, in Hampton VA, just before they went to Arizona to film Rattle and Hum. I lived in NC but they weren't playing there so a radio station managed to get 300 tickets with charter bus passes for the show. I camped out with friends in the freezing cold for those. Band was unbelievable. I could barely hear the vocals for Streets because the crowd kept singing louder than Bono. The Dalton Brothers made an appearance. All 300 people stopped at one Hardees in the middle of nowhere at 1 in the morning and pretty much gave the staff simultaneous coronaries. :lol:

God what an incredible experience. And the most amazing thing is that I'm getting the same feelings this week that I had the week before the Hampton show. Its extraordinary that four people can generate so much raw, visceral emotion in so many people for so long . See you all at NY 1 this Sat!

Mine first was the very last stop on the Joshua Tree tour, in Hampton VA, just before they went to Arizona to film Rattle and Hum. I lived in NC but they weren't playing there so a radio station managed to get 300 tickets with charter bus passes for the show. I camped out with friends in the freezing cold for those. Band was unbelievable. I could barely hear the vocals for Streets because the crowd kept singing louder than Bono. The Dalton Brothers made an appearance. All 300 people stopped at one Hardees in the middle of nowhere at 1 in the morning and pretty much gave the staff simultaneous coronaries. :lol:

Great story!

So I went to my first U2 concert last night, and I'm still under its trance.

Saying that the concert was incredible does not do it justice. I told my friends today that even if I hated U2, it still would have been the best concert I've ever been to. And I really believe that's true. Of course U2 is my all time favorite band so it was all a little much to take in honestly.

I've always heard people say seeing U2 is like going to church, but that's bullshit really, because church is stupid and boring, and seeing U2 is anything but. Seriously though, the spiritual experience that people say they have at a U2 show is real and I felt it, and I loved it.

I don't even know where to start, describing the show. I was pretty starstruck throughout. The visuals and production values were amazing throughout of course, but the performances themselves were the real highlights. Fantastic stuff.

When it comes to the setlist, I knew going into the show that I would have a "holy shit, they're playing this song?" reaction to probably every single song, and I did. Though it probably wasn't the perfect setlist, I really did not care.

The SOI songs all fit in pretty well. The Miracle and Cedarwood Road, which I didn't much care for wen the album first came out, were pretty great live. Raised By Wolves, which I almost love, was amazing (the chorus, which I find the weakest part of the studio version, works pretty well live). Song for Someone, which I find the most boring song, was surprisingly not boring. The way Edge comes in now makes the song much more interesting. What was boring (only a little though) was Every Breaking Wave. Full band would have been better (isn't it funny that at one point it seemed like whole nights could be acoustic and now it's just one song?). Invisible was a great rendition of their best song from this era, and the harmony they added to the chorus was pretty sweet. The Crystal Ballroom was a fun surprise, and they actually nailed it! Hard to believe they've only played it once before. But they've played Iris a bunch, and it seemed a little rough. Good, but not as powerful as it could have been.

The old songs were great all across the board. Even the ones I don't care as much about. I like them, but I've never been a big fan of Until the End of the World, Even Better Than the Real Thing, and Elevation, but it was hard not to be 100% into them. Show stopping performances. I also think Mysterious Ways (which I still love) might be the most overrated U2 song, but it was impossible not to dance to their grooving rendition of it.

The other veteran stuff was amazing to see, obviously. I was really glad they played The Electric Co. I prefer Gloria, but I knew not to expect that, and I looove Electric Co., moreso than Out of Control. In terms of other songs that I was hoping for, there were some, but I kind of forgotten about them during the show. I would have loved Desire, but I honestly didn't even realize until after that they didn't play it. New Years Day would have been insane, but if I'm not mistaken, they haven't played that at all this tour, so I wasn't expecting that. Bad would have killed me, but I looked at the setlists and they played it a lot recently so I knew the chances were low they would do it, so I didn't set myself up for disappointment on that one. Speaking of One, I do prefer it to Still Haven't Found, but the latter probably made for a better closer. Also, I fucking got All I Want Is You! Great luck.

I was just lapping up every minute of it. Bono goes on a rant, oldies roll their eyes and I get excited! My first Bono rant! I actually love all of Bono's talking. Usually bands just say hello and introduce the members. But this felt more like an experience the band wanted to share with us, like they really cared, like Bono just wanted to talk and make jokes and tell stories. No wonder they always pull people up on stage. They really do love their fans and you can tell not just because they pull out all the stops.

Don't know what else to say about the other songs, except they were extraordinary. Oh yeah, they did play Streets. The Paul Simon intro was maybe not the best choice, but it worked with the stats on the screen which were quite powerful, and, anyway, when they started playing Streets all that faded away and suddenly I was in a room listening to my all time favorite band play my all time favorite song, and I kind of got choked up. Life changing.

It's kind of crazy how many of my all time favorite songs I heard live last night. I Will Follow, All I Want Is You, Pride, With or Without You, Streets, etc. I am certain no other concert will ever live up to this, and that is why I feel the need to see U2 again immediately!

What a beautiful day.

I told my friends today that even if I hated U2, it still would have been the best concert I've ever been to. And I really believe that's true.

This quote really stood out to me. This pretty much was my wife's reaction when I took her to the East Lansing show in 2011. She was at best a casual fan of some of U2's hits, but she detested Bono for some of the many reasons uninformed people hate Bono. But anyway, she was completely blown away by the concert, and Bono in particular. Seeing him once completely changed how she felt about him. So now, while she isn't exactly posting on interference or ripping shitty recordings of "The King's New Clothes" from YouTube just to complete her collection, she definitely has a respect for U2, and would happily attend a future concert with me.

Loved reading your story about your first U2 concert! I've seen many concerts by many great bands, and I've had other bands just absolutely blow me away! But I've never experienced at any other concert what I experience at a U2 concert. It's something that I cannot define. I've seen U2 11 times now since 1997 (I wish my number was higher), and there is a reason I will continue to see them as many more times as I can before it's all said and done.

I only got to 1 show this year (Chicago 5). And it was incredible, but it was only 1 show... and it was over so fast, and now all I can do is wait until next year's dates are announced. My goal is to make U2 concerts more of a priority for next year, and not allow my career to control so much of my life.

I was at this Show!! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom