SPOILERS - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part TRES - SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hey one of the rare times i agree with you :wink:

i was lucky to be in Toronto for the Pop Muzik/Discotheque... was too cool. easily the best version of discotheque for the 3 tour versions we have of it. shame it wasn't played more. the lighting effects were really cool too for the popmart intro- on the four screens it had a radio dial, finally settling on a station and pop muzik, with the dial turning into the 4 pop faces from the album cover and then the pop symbols.

too cool.

THAT'S AWESOME..........man that would be insane if they did this on 360!! :drool::drool::drool::drool:

IGWSHA had me cream my jeans.

Seriously, how can anyone not love this song? Granted the album version is slightly underdone, but the single version was mega.

Live it was more used as an extended outro to UTEOTW. Still I loved it. B's voice killed it live, but his voice is MUCH stronger, and they won't start with the pseudo SBS arpeggio's.

A PROPER live version would tear the fucking roof off

Fuck, I can't find an MP3 of the single version of IGWSHA, nor can I find my CD of it to rip a new copy (apparently my boxes of U2 shit aren't as organised as I thought). Anybody mind sending me a copy? amakaxver[at]gmail.com

It'd be most appreciated.

They did try Pop Muzik/Discotheque in Toronto on 17 September 2005 ... sounded fucking cool to me. I'd love to see some sort of a Pop throwback like Vertigo's typical ZooTV throwback.

In my ideal world, that'd be a Mofo/LNOE/Gone encore, but if we're being realistic, I could handle something like Discotheque/IGWSHA/an older song like WOWY.

Maybe, though, to avoid looking like a perpetuation of a Vertigo gimmick, that sort of segment could be incorporated into the show elsewhere.

One of my favorite versions of Discotheque ever, It's love, It's love, not sure why it didn't show up more and an encore of Popmuzik/Mofo/Disco would be incredible.

Fuck, I can't find an MP3 of the single version of IGWSHA, nor can I find my CD of it to rip a new copy (apparently my boxes of U2 shit aren't as organised as I thought). Anybody mind sending me a copy? amakaxver[at]gmail.com

Sent. If it doesn't work, PM me and I'll resend it. :wave:

Sent

EDIT: Crap...someone else already sent it. Well now you have two copies :wink:

The single version isn't vastly different, just a bit cleaner in general, and the outtro verse is fully formed, not just 'scat' singing

All of this Pop talk, for those who want something fresh, I'm putting together what i feel is a definative version of Pop (best mixes of the songs IE single mixes etc).

PM me if interested

The single version isn't vastly different, just a bit cleaner in general, and the outtro verse is fully formed, not just 'scat' singing

Yeah I love the outro:

And I don't have to know how
And I don't need to know why
And I don't wanna promise
And I don't wanna lie
I just know I need you tonight

and the falsetto :drool:

All of this Pop talk, for those who want something fresh, I'm putting together what i feel is a definative version of Pop (best mixes of the songs IE single mixes etc).

PM me if interested

I am curious about your tracklist for this ...

It may be heresy for some, but I think it's absolutely essential to use the New Mix of Gone. (Though the New Mixes for Discotheque and SATS should be avoided at all costs.)

Hah, thanks to both of you!
You're welcome!

PM me if interested
Will you be including HMTMKMKM? I always thought that it should have been on Pop, but I would understand if you just wanted to focus on proper album tracks. Just my two cents.

Will you be including HMTMKMKM? I always thought that it should have been on Pop, but I would understand if you just wanted to focus on proper album tracks. Just my two cents.

I just quietly wish it had been on Passengers ... I know, it doesn't fit most of the album stylistically, but I reckon it sounds cool after United Colours.

Also, I'm genuinely surprised HMTMKMKM has never been revisited post-Popmart. It was a big, recognisable hit and I definitely hope it turns up on tour at some point.

Seriously, how can anyone not love this song? Granted the album version is slightly underdone, but the single version was mega.

I'm in the minority that can't stand the single version. It sounds like a cut and paste job to me, and I love the broken simplicity of the scat singing on the album version. It communicates more than the half-assed outro verse provided for the single version. That said, I love the song no matter the version, and I'm thrilled to see it was rehearsed. :hyper:

Also, if U2 absolutely MUST play Boots and/or Stand Up Comedy, work HMTMKMKM into the mix.

I just quietly wish it had been on Passengers ... I know, it doesn't fit most of the album stylistically, but I reckon it sounds cool after United Colours.

Also, I'm genuinely surprised HMTMKMKM has never been revisited post-Popmart. It was a big, recognisable hit and I definitely hope it turns up on tour at some point.

HMTMKMKM would be perfect for this tour especially as an encore opener into MOFO!!!!!!!!!

Please, someone could just send me another copy?
brunoaguiarsantos@hotmail.com

It's so hard to find Singles here in Brazil. :(

Sent!

IGWSHA is one of the few singles that I'm able to get pretty easily in America. Waterloo Records here in Austin tends to keep one in stock at all times, although I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has bought a copy of it in the past year or so. The only other place I've been to that I've seen U2 singles at is the now-closed Virgin Megastore near Orlando (Downtown Disney), and they had Wild Horses and Please there, too.

I'm in the minority that can't stand the single version. It sounds like a cut and paste job to me, and I love the broken simplicity of the scat singing on the album version. It communicates more than the half-assed outro verse provided for the single version. That said, I love the song no matter the version, and I'm thrilled to see it was rehearsed. :hyper:

Also, if U2 absolutely MUST play Boots and/or Stand Up Comedy, work HMTMKMKM into the mix.

Oh, hey, LemonMelon! Haven't seen you for a while. And is that a Shins avatar? Niiiiiice.
Back on topic, I fully support the idea of a Stand Up Comedy > HMTMKMKM segue.

EDIT: Digitize, there was one guy who didn't like it a few years back, but we sent him over to It's Official and told him to mention U2. The police found him with sporks sticking out of (what remained of) his brain several hours later.

IGWSHA is one of the few singles that I'm able to get pretty easily in America. Waterloo Records here in Austin tends to keep one in stock at all times, although I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has bought a copy of it in the past year or so. The only other place I've been to that I've seen U2 singles at is the now-closed Virgin Megastore near Orlando (Downtown Disney), and they had Wild Horses and Please there, too.

^ this is so true! I very rarely see singles anywhere... but if I do, IGWSHA is the one I do see!

Yeah, CD copies of 90s singles aren't all that difficult to obtain. One is probably the most common/popular, but I've seen WGRYWH at FYE, and Pop singles are everywhere. Not so with 80s singles. If I found the TUF single anywhere, I would probably snatch it up, regardless of the price and/or the fact that I already own hard copies of the included songs.

Sent!

I appreciate, my friend! :wave:

1. Pop Music (Bono vocal) (i have mixed them together to form a good segue into...)
2. MoFo
3. Gone (Hedges mix)
4. Please (Single Version)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Do you Feel Loved?
7. Miami
8. The Playboy Mansion
9. Discotheque
10. If God Will Send His Angels (single version)
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12. Last Night On Earth (single version)
13. Wake Up Dead Man

Notes:
I chose the Popmart intro as it is the perfect way to introduce the songs (I am aware that track 1 is a cover)
I moved away from single 1 being song 1
MoFo has to follow Popmusic
Gone is the new mix as it is vastly superior, and flows on nicely from mofo
Please is the single version as it offers a greater variety on the disc (strings, but song fits perfectly in this spot)
SATS original mix as it is the best. Brings the album back after the darkness of Please
DYFL? slots in well at the end of SATS
Miami is a good mid-album interlude type song
TPM follows Miami well
Discotheque (album version) fading in after TPM sounds phenominal
IGWSHA sounds great after Discotheque
Velvet Dress flows on nicely after IGWSHA
LNOE fills the 'breathe' spot, heavier rocker to be the penultimate track
WUDM perfect closer.

I go to see a band play songs they're enthusiastic about and put in their best performance, not to see them trot out songs because they think they "should" or "have to" and play them lifelessly. If they're my favourite songs, all the better, but if they aren't - I'm more than happy with a good performance. As I posted yesterday, people who go with the express intention of hearing a particular song, be they a casual fan going to hear a radio hit or a fanatic with a list of favourites, have the wrong attitude and will be sorely disappointed sooner or later.

I'm not saying here that the set should lack hits or classics, or should be dominated by rarities, or anything like that, so I hope nobody interprets it that way. Just that if a band's enthusiastic about playing a song, be it a hit or a rarity, the audience is going to enjoy it; if the band's just doing it because they think they must and their hearts are not in it, it's going to be a letdown (e.g. Bono not wanting to play Pride on Popmart).

Totally agree! :up:

And since you brought it up, wasn't Pride dropped mainly because Bono couldn't sing it anymore? Or was there more to it than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom