GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just don't know what the queue procedure in Dublin is. Do they line up early.....late? I still have so many questions about the logistics of visiting dublin to see u2 (not to even mention, doing it with a then 9 year old).

The good thing (and bad thing) is that I still have 4 months left to figure all of that out ;)

See you there! Let me know if you get those questions answered...I'd love to know the Dublin "ins and outs" too.

And since you are planning on having your kid with you in the GA queue....he's welcome to stand in front of me in the show. I won't elbow him!

Guys, let's remember one thing: there is good and bad karma. What you are all forgetting is that it is not every 'nth' person in line that gets scanned in (if there is even a scan this time). It is a random assignment based on your ticket's bar code. If you are going to scan, you'll scan whether 1 or 100 people are in front of you.

Therefore: those 3 people in front of you? They might ALL scan. And you might not. And they won't have anyone extra to bring in, because they all scanned. I've seen this happen. And guess what else I saw when they did? Them bringing in people who were otherwise strangers that they had befriended in the GA line who were immediately behind them.

See where I'm going here? Who would you rather be, the person who was a meanie and gave the kid a hard time, or the person who gets in on some strangers scan? Everyone has extenuating circumstances, within reason. "The rail" is going to be fucking huge this time. Anyone who lines up is going to get a decent spot. 1 or 2 kids aren't going to make or break your experience, so lighten up and you'll have a much better concert. Befriend the people around you, look out for one another, and they will look out for you. :up:

See you there! Let me know if you get those questions answered...I'd love to know the Dublin "ins and outs" too.

And since you are planning on having your kid with you in the GA queue....he's welcome to stand in front of me in the show. I won't elbow him!

Heh.....thanks! It will be WELL appreciated! I'm monitoring the Croke thread as well, so hopefully i'll pick up more specifics as show dates come closer. We'll definitely be in line early......

As far as the karma thing goes, I cannot agree more! I plan on burning as many cd's as possible containing Twickenham (vertigo), Wembley '87, Dublin (zootv) and other random shows and just hand them out to everyone around me in the queue and inside.

Karma begets karma...... :)

Guys, let's remember one thing: there is good and bad karma. What you are all forgetting is that it is not every 'nth' person in line that gets scanned in (if there is even a scan this time). It is a random assignment based on your ticket's bar code. If you are going to scan, you'll scan whether 1 or 100 people are in front of you.

Therefore: those 3 people in front of you? They might ALL scan. And you might not. And they won't have anyone extra to bring in, because they all scanned. I've seen this happen. And guess what else I saw when they did? Them bringing in people who were otherwise strangers that they had befriended in the GA line who were immediately behind them.

See where I'm going here? Who would you rather be, the person who was a meanie and gave the kid a hard time, or the person who gets in on some strangers scan? Everyone has extenuating circumstances, within reason. "The rail" is going to be fucking huge this time. Anyone who lines up is going to get a decent spot. 1 or 2 kids aren't going to make or break your experience, so lighten up and you'll have a much better concert. Befriend the people around you, look out for one another, and they will look out for you. :up:

good post.

i've said it before, but i'm not going to get all stressed out this time. i'm happy to have GA, and i'm going to show up between 5-6 with a couple drinks in me, and just enjoy the show from whatever spot i end up at.

well said.

thank you gabe! just what I was trying to get at!!! :up: :applaud:

after reading more of this you people have to realize that first of all its a stadium show which means there's a lot more room on the field than in an arena.
So unless you get scanned in real early in the process it probably won't matter where you stand. Also we have no idea what each city's rules are toward "camping out all day" so I would put any plans on hold until those are announced.
as for me there's no way I'm going to stand around from early morning until possibly 6 pm when they let people into the stadium. I'm going to enjoy the city, take in a Cubs game, eat at one of the many good restaurants Chicago has then walk up & give the one of the guys with the pit bands $20 to get into the circle..:lol:

Dublin

ok this is based on my experience on the Vertigo tour

Last time they allowed queueing (but probably not camping) outside what I gather is probably the main entrance for GA tickets- which is down some side street surrounded by very small houses-

They opened the gates at around lunchtime-ish and we waited in a small area but had access to toilets and there was food & drink to buy

there are NO facilities outside Croke Park itself- it's a residential area- please be polite to the locals

at around 4pm-ish they checked our tickets and we were allowed in to the GC- no running allowed (or needed) to the GC- lots of local police/ security staff to make sure everything went ok.

Once inside the GC you had access to GC specific toilets at the stage end of the stadium and you could come & go as you pleased

there was plenty of space in the GC (unless you want to be squished against the barriers)

As I've said elsewhere Dubliners arrive late- the stadium filled up minutes before U2 came on stage- that happened both Friday & Saturday. We made it into the GC both days- once by queueing, the second time we just walked in late afternoon- and unless something fundamental has changed since 2005 it will be the same again this time I imagine

you also have to remember that the GC at Croke holds at least 5000-7000 people- there couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred or so queueing last time

there really is NOTHING to worry about- there's loads of security folk around and everyone's there for the same reason

if they do this rubbish scan thing it's all irrelevant anyway- there is nothing at all to be gained by queueing

exactly, if they do the random scan which I think will happen for the shows in the US then its a moot point about queueing up early or not cuz whether there are 100 people or 5 in front of you it wont matter. So if 2 people show up in front of you doesn't guarantee you a particular spot or that you lost a opportunity to be on the rail compared to people who come in line an hour before the show it will be whether you are lucky to get scanned or not. It's purely luck of the draw. That's how it was last tour. I did 10 GA shows and this is how it pretty much went everytime.
As said these are stadium shows so the number of spots for GA doubles or more, a lot more opportunities to be on the inside or outside rail depending on your situation.

Thank you so much, djparky.....that information is extremely helpful! Sounds like the queue process in Dublin is much more laid back. Hopefully, we'll have as easy of a time as you did.

Do you know if there is parking available there? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from the hotel(s) to the Stadium and really am not quite sure how public transportation there works. I suppose I could check by calling the hotel, but figured i'd ask.

I say "hotel(s)" because when we arrive on saturday for Croke 2, our preferred hotel was booked so we had to choose another hotel that was about 2 blocks away or so (Hilton Dublin) from the hotel that we are staying at the rest of our time there (Marriott Shelbourne Dublin).

Thanks again! (I apologize for maybe hijacking this thread or being off-topic)

Guys, let's remember one thing: there is good and bad karma.

Agreed.

Everyone has extenuating circumstances, within reason.

's all I'm saying...

Befriend the people around you, look out for one another, and they will look out for you. :up:

I've always had good experiences with U2 fans. I expect no different this tour. I'm still looking for Nick B from the Bay area who sold me his seats at Boston Vertigo tour here on Interference, and turned out to be the best seats I could ever imagine! And I got to meet The Edge outside Fleet Center. I paid it forward by giving up my Cleveland ticket to another user so that her mom could go with her. So :beer: to humanity.

ps: I'll be GA'ing solo. If I get scanned in, I have no problem taking someone in.

exactly, if they do the random scan which I think will happen for the shows in the US then its a moot point about queueing up early or not cuz whether there are 100 people or 5 in front of you it wont matter. So if 2 people show up in front of you doesn't guarantee you a particular spot or that you lost a opportunity to be on the rail compared to people who come in line an hour before the show it will be whether you are lucky to get scanned or not. It's purely luck of the draw. That's how it was last tour. I did 10 GA shows and this is how it pretty much went everytime.
As said these are stadium shows so the number of spots for GA doubles or more, a lot more opportunities to be on the inside or outside rail depending on your situation.

Hm, I was actually thinking of GA in arena shows. The people who didn't get scanned but showed up to queue early still got a place against the outside railing.

I'm short, so it makes a big difference whether I end up right against the railing, or even just 2 rows back. 2 rows of 5'8'' people in front of me means I have to stare at their backs the whole show. :scream: Just my luck to be blessed with my dad's genes... :lol: If I don't get scanned to be in the crab shack (inner circle), I still would want to be right against the outside railing. Is this going to help in a stadium show? I don't know, quite honestly... :shrug:

Hm, I was actually thinking of GA in arena shows. The people who didn't get scanned but showed up to queue early still got a place against the outside railing.

I'm short, so it makes a big difference whether I end up right against the railing, or even just 2 rows back. 2 rows of 5'8'' people in front of me means I have to stare at their backs the whole show. :scream: Just my luck to be blessed with my dad's genes... :lol: If I don't get scanned to be in the crab shack (inner circle), I still would want to be right against the outside railing. Is this going to help in a stadium show? I don't know, quite honestly... :shrug:

I agree with you.

It's not just the people directly behind you you're affecting, but everyone in line behind you. Scanning in or not scanning it doesn't matter - what matters is that the person who is back in the line and bothered to line up early for an outside rail spot suddenly finds themselves no longer in a rail position because people further ahead of them in line thought that they were entitled to be the "exception" and show up late.

If one person thinks their situation merits one of their friends or family members having a spot saved for them, why not everyone? I'm sure everyone else thinks their reasons for doing so are just as valid as yours. Here's a thread about the subject, with detailed pros and cons:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f304/holding-a-place-in-the-ga-line-193151.html

Sorry Amy. :(

Eta - with a good 2/3 of the rail being taken up by the Red Zone, it doesn't look to me like the outside rail is going to be much bigger than arenas.

I agree with you.

It's not just the people directly behind you you're affecting, but everyone in line behind you. Scanning in or not scanning it doesn't matter - what matters is that the person who is back in the line and bothered to line up early for an outside rail spot suddenly finds themselves no longer in a rail position because people further ahead of them in line thought that they were entitled to be the "exception" and show up late.

If one person thinks their situation merits one of their friends or family members having a spot saved for them, why not everyone? I'm sure everyone else thinks their reasons for doing so are just as valid as yours. Here's a thread about the subject, with detailed pros and cons:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f304/holding-a-place-in-the-ga-line-193151.html

Sorry Amy. :(

Eta - with a good 2/3 of the rail being taken up by the Red Zone, it doesn't look to me like the outside rail is going to be much bigger than arenas.

I don't see what the big problem is.. I am talking about 3hrs of them maybe not being there. I have seen so much worse than this, meaning people actually waltzing in minutes before the show (this is not what I am referring to).. I am sorry too VEEP but if they random scan people, and instead of there being the arena size amount of people approx 2,500 total there is now double that because of the stadium size including outside the circle thing and inner circle. The odds certainly go up for people who want inside or outside rail of the circle. How is 2 more people who are already accounted for due to the GA Line up sheet and have numbers already going to impact the chances of getting inside the circle or not? :shrug:

i seriously give up.. :|

How strict are the venues with the entrance numbers?

My four mates have a different entrance for the 2nd date than me since I bought my ticket apart from theirs, because we needed 5.

so I will only be able to see it when I receive the actual tickets in the mail? It doesn't say online when I look at my order details? :hmm:

Right. I do remember, however, that when I was purchasing our tickets from ticketmaster.ie that it DID mention what entrance for us to head to. I remember thinking that was very cool. But now, going back to review my tickets in my account section it doesnt show me that same information.

so I will only be able to see it when I receive the actual tickets in the mail? It doesn't say online when I look at my order details? :hmm:

Well I got ticketfast, so I can see it on the pdf file.

It's also on the hard tickets, but I don't think it's on the order itself.

Do you think they'll allow a camera like this in GA?
2302261978_daa6d86db4.jpg

2302262178_1135941e80.jpg

I think my compact point and shoot should be enough for GA, but does anyone have experience smuggling something like that into either GA or seats?

Bring a cheap folding chair to sit on. You can't bring it into the venue....but I've left my folding chair in the bushes when going into the show and it has still been there after the show.

If it is gone....no worries...be prepared to lose it.

Bring pictures, photos, articles anything you wish to trade with other U2 fans with. If you have an extra copy of something like a bootleg or single or CD or picture....bring it.

I can't tell you the countless "doubles" I've handed out to fans and they've been thankful. Sometimes this makes it's way back to you. Trust me here. Manners and being polite are key. Everyone wants to be close...everyone wants to see the band.....if you remain calm, you'd be surprised what comes your way.

Also....sounds silly?

PUT YOUR TICKET ON YOUR PERSON IN A SAFE SPOT. I can't tell you how many countless times someone can't find their ticket......or they gotta run back to the car to get their ticket. Or they CAME ON A PLANE....TOOK THE TRAIN......AND A FERRY.....AND A BUS.....and forgot their ticket!

If you are a guitar player....bring a guitar....MAKE SURE YOU CAN PLAY SOME U2 songs.
Also be prepared to be able to share. Share the talent of music...and the wonder of U2.

Can't play guitar? Radios are cool too. Make sure they blast U2 and you have a place to put it afterwards.

I'm a bass player so you guitar players do these songs justice.

No SLR cameras only point and shoot.

Don't flash to many in Bono's eyes. He doesn't like it. I've seen him move away from me because I was too snap happy.

If you have something to offer to help the day along do so. Some of my best experiences in line have been with U2 fans as well as Grateful Dead fans (yeah...you read that right....the Dead). Share your memories and stories in good faith.....not conceitedness.

Karma goes a long way when you're on the tour. Be nice to people. That's what U2 would want.

Hey great pics solacevip!

<>

I've always brought a small digital camera in. I'm pretty sure it depends on the band first and foremost. Since U2 doesnt mind pics, they will allow small cameras in (no professional cameras).

Working security at multiple concert venues in Boston, Sicy is quite right. U2 allows photographs, so anything but a professional camera is fine.

How to tell professional? If it has a detachable lens is the best, non technical, layperson guideline for this.

Also, most policies at concerts are completely up to the band. Venues have general guidelines on their websites, but the band can change those as they wish, as they are the only reason anyone working there gets paid that night! Tool, alot of crazy bands ban cameras all together, make us take bottle caps at the front gate so a full bottle does not hit the stage, etc.

The only kink I would warn anyone of security wise is alot of NFL football stadiums are hosting U2 this time around. The NFL has their own search policy, REQUIRING pat downs and I think, prohibiting even sealed bottled water from coming in. Normally, U2 show is a bag check.

Just in general w/ security policies, remember, it may be different this time out due to NFL rules.

Here is a link to Gillete Stadium prohibited items for Boston show goers. As you read, I think you will notice it is a lot more extensive than what U2 themselves or the Boston Garden(Elevation, Vertigo tours) as a venue would prohibit. http://www.gillettestadium.com/stadium_information/index.cfm?ac=prohibited_items

I am 99.9% the NFL dictates these search policies, so the same deal in E Rutherford, Chicago, etc. Now, we have the College football stadiums too, no idea what that entails as far as policies go.

Back
Top Bottom