Holding a place in the GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
I'm not sure if this is in the right place. Mods feel free to relocate this thread if necessary.

Is it okay to hold a place for someone in the GA line? For example, if I get in line at 8am and my husband doesn't get off work until 4pm, is it okay for him to join me in the GA line at that point? What is the protocol? Is there a time when it's okay but other times that it's not okay? What do you do if they're handing out tickets or numbers or something?

Also, how do you find out a venue's particular GA protocol? When I was GA in Oakland, I joined Mr.Z at around 4pm in the GA line and nobody had a problem with that. When I was in Salt Lake, I arrived at 10am and found out they'd been handing out numbered tickets since 8am (or maybe 9) and that they didn't allow a line to form until 4pm. I was clueless as to that practice - color me uninformed. How would I have found out about that?

I seem to think that the number on Mr.Z's hand in Oakland was purely fan generated but in SLC it seemed that it was the venue organizing things...

Wow you were in Oakland? :hyper: Me too.

I think it just depends on the fans at each venue and how they want to do it. When I saw them in Vegas for Elevation, they were doing the numbers on the hand thing, then you could leave your place in line and even go get lunch or whatever, as long as you were in your right spot when it was time to line up. Then of course last tour it was the wristbands. I think if one person were to join you a few hours later, not many would have a problem with that, unless of course the numbering system was in place. But I have no idea how they're going to be doing it this time around.

i think if you were in the first 100 people, most would have a problem. if you were not in the first hundred, well, that's all chaos over there anyway and it's hard to control. I've never been to a U2 show the last two tours without numbering in place. People were not allowed to be gone for more than 4 or 5 hours and they had to be there to get their numbers.

I've yet to attend a u2 show, so I was wondering if similar systems work in europe, Poland, to be specific. Anyone know?

In L.A. on the last tour, we got in line at about 7:00am. One of our party of three (from the board here :sexywink:) couldn't get there til 1-1:30pm. The people at the front of the line had a notebook and were taking names and writing numbers on hands. We were able to give the girls our friends name, and when she arrived, they wrote her number on her hand and she joined us in line. And I may have mentioned to those around us that we had one more in our party, just in case. Then we sat and hung out & talked with our line neighbors. I'm sure it depends on the venue & people there... :shrug:

I've yet to attend a u2 show, so I was wondering if similar systems work in europe, Poland, to be specific. Anyone know?

The only time I've seen it in Europe was in Manchester on the Elevation Tour, and even then it didn't really work. As soon as the security appeared at the front of the queue, there was a big rush and the numbering system went to hell. It didn't help, initially, that the person dolling out the numbers wasn't exactly advertising herself and you had to be "in the know" to get one.

On all other shows I've been to, it's just been a case of getting in line early enough. Generally, most people are ok with 1 or 2 people joining you later. Of course, that's with stadiums, where people are going to have a much better chance of grabbing a good spot anyway.

I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter so far, and say that at none of the shows I was at, as far as I know, were people allowed to hold spots for others, and rightly so, IMO.

I don't think it's fair to the people behind them in line. They made the effort to be there, so why should someone be able to waltz in hours later and get in line ahead of them? I don't buy the argument that the latecomer had prior commitments and just couldn't make it - the people in line behind probably did too, but they prioritized, and decided that being in line was more important. Why should they be penalized, which is what it boils down to, because despite them making the effort, they still end up even more spaces behind however many people showed up late, than they were originally.

And yes, before I'm accused of being a hardass, there was a show that my daughter and I couldn't line up for early. Despite having friends further up in the line who probably would have saved places for us had we asked, we sucked it up and went to the back of the line when we arrived.

I'm not dissenting with you at all - I just told of my experience. I do see both sides of the coin here, so to say, and I would agree if someone camped out at 7:00am and then suddenly at 4 or 5 PM has another person just show up and expect to just be allowed in with the rest of their party - that may not go over too well. :shrug:

Lila, I really don't see a difference between arriving 6 hours late (7 am vs 1 pm) and 9 hours late (7 am vs 4 pm). It's only a matter of 3 hours, and it's still unfair to the people behind who put in the time to be there. I guess opinions differ.

True, but in my instance, no one minded, and it all worked out. :shrug:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor am I picking on your post. I'm just explaining why I think it's a really bad idea, and you happened to be the one who responded to my post.

In your case, how many people behind you did you check with to make sure it was okay? Just the party directly behind you? Ten people behind you? Fifty? Depending on your spot in the line, the people directly behind you could be the least affected by someone coming late. But if you go back 25, 50, even 75 people, it could mean the difference between someone who was already there getting or not getting a rail spot - which they kind of earned by getting there early and putting in the time. But the thing is, you're affecting everyone in line behind you, not just the next few people, so their approval is pretty much meaningless.

Further, if, say, one or two extra people came late and took two of the spots in the first 50, that's not *too* bad. But when people see this happening, they think that they're entitled to do this as well (and really, if you are, why aren't they? Fair's fair) and there's the potential to get this happening a lot, to the extent that someone who lined up overnight or in the wee hours could conceivably be pushed back 20 or 30 (or more) spots by the time the doors open, putting their earned rail spot in jeopardy, all for people who couldn't be bothered to make it early.

It just strikes me as way too problematic and unfair, and so I really think the best policy is to not save spots at all.

VP, I see your hardass-ness and raise you....

If you know ahead of time that it is simply not feasible for you, or many members of your party, to put in the time...but you want a good spot
Buy a seat. It's guaranteed there waiting for you, no matter when you arrive.

That said, I get both sides of the argument.
But VP has an obvious point, just think how you would feel if you were say, person 100 and guaranteed a spot in the heart...when just before the show 1 person joins ten of the groups ahead of you. Suddenly you're SOL. In the end, it's not going to be fair for people, but that doesn't mean people will raise a stink - especially since those nearest to you are probably effected the least - as VP also said.
On the other hand, if you show up, but then go off for a couple hours to eat/wash up/take a nap, but still put in the time - people don't seem to have an issue. At least from my single experience. In fact, we held the spot of a couple behind us that left for an hour or so to grab lunch.

On an unrelated note.....the tour forum is open! The tour forum is open!!! :ohmy:

U2 fans in Oakland are friendly and mellow, but I wouldn't count on that being the case elsewhere.

Read that study some Interferencers did about U2 fan behavior in GA lines, it's pretty enlightening. U2 fans even get pissed off when other fans cut in line behind them.

You can always bribe the Line Nazi with tacos and beer, that worked well in '92.

I think the only way to solve this is for the OP to line up NOW. Yes NOW. I don't care that it's 4.00 am or whatever in the US at this moment, if you want that front row spot right in front of Bono, sacrifices have to be made..... :tsk:

For the second show I saw at MSG I went down, got a number for me and my wife and then went home to get her.

They seemed to have a problem with it until we showed up and they saw she was 9 months pregnant. To make it up to people we went across the street and bought a giant bag of mini-bags of chips and handed them out to the peeps in line.

All in all, it worked out.

On the other hand, if you show up, but then go off for a couple hours to eat/wash up/take a nap, but still put in the time - people don't seem to have an issue. At least from my single experience. In fact, we held the spot of a couple behind us that left for an hour or so to grab lunch.

Most people are fine with that - as long as you spend the bulk of your time there nobody will object to nipping off for a little while to get something to eat / stretch your legs etc. Pretty much everyone will do it and I would never have a problem with that.

Do agree with VP though, unless there is a very very good reason why someone can't stand in line then frankly they should join the back. If the people standing in line can take a day out of their lives, day off work etc to queue all day then why should someone who has other commitments be permitted to mosey up late in the day and cut in? It's one day every 4 years, not that much to ask and not that hard to plan for.

Also agree with VP. I was one of the friends in the queue ahead of her and her daughter the day she mentioned. If the roles had been reversed me and the friends with me up front would have done the same. It isn't fair to cut in when someone has been there since 6am or even earlier for some people. For the shows i went to abroad i obviously didn't have work anyway but the UK shows i went to in GA (2 shows ) I booked the day off work so I could queue up really early. As VP said. Its about prioritising what you want to do. As others said though its fine to go eat, shower, nap, even wait for the band to arrive for a little while. :)

Further, if, say, one or two extra people came late and took two of the spots in the first 50, that's not *too* bad. But when people see this happening, they think that they're entitled to do this as well (and really, if you are, why aren't they? Fair's fair) and there's the potential to get this happening a lot, to the extent that someone who lined up overnight or in the wee hours could conceivably be pushed back 20 or 30 (or more) spots by the time the doors open, putting their earned rail spot in jeopardy, all for people who couldn't be bothered to make it early.

^ quoted coz VP said this so much better than I would have. :up:

On the Vertigo Tour my brother couldn't camp out for the first Philly show and couldn't get there till 9 the next morning, but I was the 3rd person in line and wrote his name down in the notebook and told the people behind me that he waas coming in the morning. I asked them if they were ok with it in advance to avoid any problems. They were cool with it and now I'm good friends with one of those people too.

I think it all depends where you are at. You can leave the GA line for 4 hours I think. My mom left me and my friend by ourselves for a while to go back to the hotel...and I'm pretty sure the max. is four but as long as you become friendly with the people in front and in back of you they should be cool with it.

Back in Buffalo on the last tour weather conditions were awful and us all at the front of the queue had a bit of a system where two of us would go out at a time to our cars/hotels to get changed and then come back after an hour. And this was with the numbering system in place. It worked pretty well but then there weren't many of us and the weather was pretty extreme :yikes:

Back in Buffalo on the last tour weather conditions were awful and us all at the front of the queue had a bit of a system where two of us would go out at a time to our cars/hotels to get changed and then come back after an hour. And this was with the numbering system in place. It worked pretty well but then there weren't many of us and the weather was pretty extreme :yikes:

They let silly little British people into the country?

I think it all depends where you are at. You can leave the GA line for 4 hours I think. My mom left me and my friend by ourselves for a while to go back to the hotel...and I'm pretty sure the max. is four but as long as you become friendly with the people in front and in back of you they should be cool with it.

Yeah the shows i went to most people queued very, very early hours in the morning. Left mid morning/afternoon for a shower/food and were gone for about an hour/2 hours/3 hours.

:ohmy: No wonder you needed to do that. You braved the Buffalo cold. :yikes::lol:

Boston was cold in December but due to advice from a friend i brought one of the sleeping bags for use in freezing conditions. It worked, warm as toast. :up:

Oh I agree with VP too, but I think there may be exceptions to the rules, depending :shrug: In my case, it was a matter of the other person needing to find someone to take care of her child. She was here from out of town with her child, and if you know how spread out S.Calif. is, she was driving distances to get the situation taken care of. There were two shows back to back in L.A., and she did the time the day before, not that that's an excuse. But I definitely understand if you can't do the time, don't do GA. I don't know what I'll do if they're playing stadiums on this tour.

Last edited:
Boston was cold in December but due to advice from a friend i brought one of the sleeping bags for use in freezing conditions. It worked, warm as toast. :up:

But sleeping bags were of no use the hour before the doors opened, when everyone had to line up. Then it became REALLY cold (with the wind and such). It made the night seem like a nice summer day. :down:

But sleeping bags were of no use the hour before the doors opened, when everyone had to line up. Then it became REALLY cold (with the wind and such). It made the night seem like a nice summer day. :down:

Had the opposite in London, 7 hours queueing with no shade on the hottest day of they year (must have been 35c-40c in the sun). The venue actually organised the queue there, to the extent of logging people in and out of the line giving you 20 minutes or so to get back or lose your spot. Probably the best organisation I have ever seen for a stadium event.

Was absolue bliss when they opened the gates and we got in to the shade (though the people that went to Edges side were still baking in the sun, more than happy to take Adams side & get the shade!).

Yeah it was cold, but before the show with the excitement I didn't notice it so much. Also this was in Boston so we queued the night before until early hours about 7am. Got a wristband which was numbered and got sent off for the day. Came back not long before opening of the doors so the difference was as noticeable as saying staying in a sleeping back until 5pm or so. I'd still rather be warm all night/most of the day and be cold for an hour before they let you in than be cold all night and day. :brr: Guess its personal preference. :)

I went to one of the shows in Boston in December, I think I only got an hour of sleep because it was so cold, but they gave you a wrist band at 8am and told you too come back at 5 and you had the same spot in line. That was an awesome way to do it.

Interesting discussion, lots of valid points and good stories. Here's another question:

How do you know exactly which system is going to be used? In SLC, I had no way to know they were handing out numbers and then you could go back to your cozy hotel until 4pm! How would I have found out, esp. if it's not the venue organizing that?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just informed.

Back
Top Bottom