The Official Grammy Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's shades said:
Oh, man...poor Edge. :sad: I guess it really is Sian who is ill, after all.

So sweet but so sad :sad: :hug:

I can't believe John Mayer and Maroon 5 won. :mad:

Me either :mad:

Sorry Green Day didn't get more and that some got none. Mayer is way overrated. Ray Charles was cool but I think the posthumous awards may go a bit too far. 7 was a bit many for that album, sorry. :reject:

U2Kitten said:

STUFF A SOCK IN IT ALREADY!!!!

I LOVE it! And really, does it matter? The music, his voice, Edge's little girl is sick, Ray Charles is dead, the tsunami victims are gone or suffering- and you are whining about HAIR! Sheesh! :down:

Very well put.

Thanks Rose :hug:

I think this is a new one!

capt.las26502140431.grammys_las265.jpg

Do you think U2 could bring that whole Grammy stage set-up with them on tour????? Imagine.... EVERYONE would be able to see them from every angle in the entire arena. ;)

Good performance... excellent statements... and the topper was "Across the Universe" <- its my favorite non-U2 song. :)

U2Kitten said:

STUFF A SOCK IN IT ALREADY!!!!

I LOVE it! And really, does it matter? The music, his voice, Edge's little girl is sick, Ray Charles is dead, the tsunami victims are gone or suffering- and you are whining about HAIR! Sheesh! :down:

Well said. And I personally think this hair is a hell of a lot better than the Pop disaster, not that I give a toss what Bono looks like. It's what he says and does that matters, not how long his hair is.

I'm thankful U2 won all three rather than that collection of hacks known as Green Day. The sad part is that most of the people on the Grammy's are just a collection of talentless gits who shouldn't be allowed to record.

elevation2u said:
its 9 pm in california, the award started like an hour ago....would they have played already? or do i still have a chance to catch them live?

You missed them performing Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own.

But I guess Bono singing Across The Universe with the other artists is at the end..

I am on the West Coast too. I am just watching because I want to see them win the award and I want to see Larry apologize for the ticket thing.

are there any tickets left for any dates on the tour? don't hold itagainst me but I liked Larry's short hair better...I liked him being ageless!

Aside from the overdose of keyboards, I thought the band played beautifully. Bono was very focused.

Stand ovation concerns? Who gives a flyin' f-ck. I stood up and applauded; and thanked my wife for putting our children to bed so I could enjoy the magic of U2 live. I don't want cookie-cutter, predictable music - like this cry for Vertigo. The band played a great cut from a terrific album. It was wonderful exposure to an American music landscape that currently stinks...

Great comments by Larry. He meant that whole heartedly. Not that anybody in that hall would understand what it's like to sell 650,000 tickets in 5 seconds.

snowbunny00774 said:
are there any tickets left for any dates on the tour? don't hold itagainst me but I liked Larry's short hair better...I liked him being ageless!

All 28 shows that went on sale in North America soldout completely in minutes. There are about 30 shows for Europe. Most have gone on sale and have also soldout in minutes or hours. There are a few remaining European shows that will go on sale this week and will sellout within minutes or hours.

The third leg for North America which will start in September, will go on sale sometime this summer.

I thought the performance was excellent & personally I'm glad they didn't play Vertigo.

Best wishes to Edge's little girl and props to Larry for a public apology.

Plus 3/3 Grammy wins! All in all, and excellent night for the band...and for us fans! :wink:

i thought it was a great performance, very well done. I'm glad it was so intimate with the white background and just playing the music.

But I liked the acceptance speech just as much, amazing. Larry apologizing, and Edge's moment, but I also kind of liked how Bono shouted out to the other bands. I wanted u2 to win, but if they didnt this was the first year I could have cared less. Their competition was deserving.

Sting2, when do you think it's likely that those tickets for the second N.A. leg will go on sale? I'm asking because I will be away late July and all of August, and completely out of touch.
I have a pre-sale code I haven't used, and won't be able to if the sale takes place during that time. What do you think?

West Coast viewer here.

Honestly, I think you people are deaf, blind or both. This might be the worst awards show performance I've seen from the band.

I was so moved by the video last week, I thought this performance of Sometimes would be an all-time classic. I thought not only would they get a standing O, they would have people crying in their seats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but U2 was the only performer that DIDN'T get a standing ovation (I'm writing this as Green Day is currently kicking serious ass--and I'm not a fan). Alicia Keys wiped the fucking floor with them. I don't like her much either, but I was REALLY impressed with both of her songs. She got a standing O for both of them!

I think people here are so attatched to the emotion behind Sometimes, they can't look at it objectively anymore. Bono brought his A-Game, but the music was pretty damned far from powerful. I can't believe that was the sound that Edge was going for--maybe it sounded better in rehearsal.

I'm hearing everyone say it was better than SNL, and to me it wasn't even close. Which is odd because they're usually better the bigger the place is. This time, it PALED in comparison to the album version, quite the opposite of Stuck, which was ALWAYS better live.

I hope they work out the kinks on this one before they really hit the road, because it ain't gonna cut it with everyone. And if you think this song is going to become a big hit in the U.S. after tonight, in the words of Judas Priest, you've got another thing comin'.

laz

The only way U2 would have gotten a standing o (and they WOULD have) is if they played Vertigo, Beautiful Day, One, or With or Without you

Lazarus, while I agree that this wasn't the best performance of SYCMIOYO, you've gone totally overboard in slamming it. I think the band themselves were sensational, though I was worried about Bono's voice at the start. But he came through and they put on a GREAT performance. Not equal to the brilliant one under the Brooklyn Bridge, but still class.

And who gives a shit if they got a standing ovation or not?

I don't think it needed a standing ovation. Plus, just the way it ended. I think the ending had something to do with it.

U2 got the most out of the Grammies

U2 couldn't have asked for more out of this year's Grammies. To go 3 for 3, have Vertigo featured on several commercial cutaways, stun the crowd but moreso the media & at home viewers with "Sometimes", a chance to apologize AGAIN, etc. The Chicago Sun-Times has already picked up the "Sometimes" story...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/music/13u2.html

They are by far the most photgraphed band in the Reuters "160 pic Grammy slideshow", and Reuters also picked up this story

Entertainment - Reuters
U2 Soars to Top of UK Pop Charts
Sun Feb 13, 3:28 PM ET Entertainment - Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Irish rockers U2 roared straight to the top of the pop charts on Sunday with their new single "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own," fending off competition from the latest Elvis Presley re-release.

Reuters Photo

"Picture of U2"

The confessional ballad, U2's second track from their critically acclaimed album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," was reportedly performed by the band at the funeral of Bono's father.

It went to the top spot ahead of a re-release of Presley's "Wooden Heart," the latest of 18 Elvis number ones being reissued before the 50-year copyright protection on sound recordings in most European countries expires on his earlier hits.

This story is already on the wires, too:

Ray Charles Scores Posthumous Eight-Grammy Victory; Alicia, Usher, U2, Kanye Also Triumph

02/13/2005 11:00 PM, LAUNCH
Lyndsey Parker

Excerpt:

At the 47th Annual Grammy Awards (held Sunday, February 13 at L.A.'s Staples Center, and hosted by Queen Latifah), the late Ray Charles was definitely the star of the evening, winning no less than eight Grammys for his posthumous duets collection, Genius Loves Company, including Record and Album Of The Year. And while none of the other odds-on favorites and frontrunners--namely Usher, Kanye West, Green Day, and Alicia Keys--went home entirely empty-handed, there were a few Grammy surprises this year to keep things interesting.

...Performance highlights included...Bono's dedication of U2's performance to his late father; and an allstar tribute to the tsunami victims featuring Bono, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw, Velvet Revolver, Brian Wilson, and Stevie Wonder singing the Beatles' "Across The Universe."

Overall, the big Grammy champs this year were Ray Charles (eight trophies), Alicia Keys (four), Norah Jones (three), U2 (three), Usher (three), Kanye West (three), Ben Harper (two), Loretta Lynn (two), John Mayer (two), Tim McGraw (two), Prince (two), and Wilco (two). ...U2 swept all three awards they were nominated for...all for the song Vertigo of their new album HTDAAB...

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCAL: "Vertigo," U2

BEST ROCK SONG: "Vertigo," U2

BEST SHORT FORM MUSIC VIDEO: "Vertigo," U2

If I want tickets for the shows to go on sale for europe or the third leg would I be better off getting a promo code by joining the club? if iI join the club can I only get priority once - example, I buy priority tickets for the europe leg 1 of the tour and can't then get tickets for north america the second time around?

Back
Top Bottom